How To Know If You Have The Latest NVDA Update

Tom Behler <tombehler@...>

Hello, everyone.

I’m very new to NVDA, having just installed the program and joined this list a week or so ago.

I understand there is a new NVDA update, but I’m not sure how to know what version of NVDA I currently have, and how to get the latest update.

Or, does NVDA update itself automatically?

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello Tom,
Yesterday I used a computer with the 2017.1 version of NVDA and it offered me to update to the 2017.2 that was just released.
So if you don't have the latest version, it should propose you to update.
To check which version of NVDA you have,
open the NVDA menu with nvda+n,
choose help (with the up arrow keys) or type h
choose about with up arrow or type a.
You will hear the content of the displayed dialog alert in typing nvda+b.
This should be nvda 2017.2
I hope this helps!
Best
Sylvie

Le 30/05/2017 à 16:09, Tom Behler a écrit :

Hello, everyone.

I’m very new to NVDA, having just installed the program and joined this list a week or so ago.

I understand there is a new NVDA update, but I’m not sure how to know what version of NVDA I currently have, and how to get the latest update.

Or, does NVDA update itself automatically?

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler <tombehler@...>

Sylvi:

I just checked, and I still have version 2017.1.

I’m not sure why my NVDA has not automatically updated to 2017.2, but I can certainly use 2017.1 for now.

If anyone knows how I can get NVDA to automatically update, or why it is not updating on its own, I’d appreciate that information.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

[...]

Jessica D <jldail13@...>

Hi,

Please do the following:

  1. Go to the NVDA menu, then find and activate the “check for update” option.

If it shows up, go ahead and install it.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Matt Turner

In the NVDA menu, hit h for help, then c for check for updates.

On 5/30/2017 10:27 AM, Tom Behler wrote:

[...]

Ethan

Hello Tom,

If you press NVDA+N, followed by H, followed bye C, NVDA will automatically check if there is a new update available.

Let me know if I can help more,

Ethan

Sent from my iPhone

On May 30, 2017, at 10:09 AM, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:

Hello, everyone.

I’m very new to NVDA, having just installed the program and joined this list a week or so ago.

I understand there is a new NVDA update, but I’m not sure how to know what version of NVDA I currently have, and how to get the latest update.

Or, does NVDA update itself automatically?

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler <tombehler@...>

I now have the update to version 2017.2.

Is there any way to get the updates automatically, or must they be gotten manually as they come out?

Thanks to all for the help.

Dr.  Tom Behler

[...]

Do what the others members of the list suggest.

For next update, if you want NVDA to update automatically, go to preferences, general, and check the checkox for automatically cheking updates.

Good luck!

Sylvie

Le 30/05/2017 à 16:27, Tom Behler a écrit :

[...]

So, are you saying this has to be done manually, and that the updates don’t occur automatically without you actually checking?

Just trying to clarify.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

If you press NVDA+N, followed by H, followed bye C, NVDA will automatically check if there is a new update available.

Let me know if I can help more,

Ethan

Sent from my iPhone

On May 30, 2017, at 10:09 AM, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:

Hello, everyone.

I’m very new to NVDA, having just installed the program and joined this list a week or so ago.

I understand there is a new NVDA update, but I’m not sure how to know what version of NVDA I currently have, and how to get the latest update.

Or, does NVDA update itself automatically?

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Hi professor,

One can configure NVDA to check for updates automatically by going to NVDA menu/Preferences/General Settings. If this is checked, NVDA will check for updates every day and will notify you if an update is available.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Check for automatic updates is indeed checked.

So, hopefully, I’m now set.

Dr.  Tom Behler

[...]

Danny D. Mendoza <run210nis@...>

Good morning!
Running the latest update and using Quicken. Installed for the very 1st time and all things were just awesome. Menus and Sub Menus were narrated. After a couple of days. It is no longer narrating the Sub Menus. Which is needed using Quicken. Quicken is only use and really need the Sub Menus to be able to hear to what or where I am.  Does anyone has this problem. If so, how did you solved this important part of using Quicken.

Thank you,
Danny

[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi Tom

NVDA will check for updates automatically if the appropriate setting is made.  Press NVDA key Control g to open the NVDA General settings menu, tab down the displayed dialog box until you find the check box labelled ‘Automatically check for updates to NVDA’, ensure it is checked then tab to OK and press enter.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

As I and others have said, you can find out what you ar running by bringing up the menu with nvda/n and going to help and about
Or you could use the check for updates on the help menu. If there is an update and its not been flagged automatically after a few days, then you may find automatic updates is turned of in one of the preferences settings.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-