Power Media player or Power DVD

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Hi,
How do you watch movies on your computer using Power media player or Power DVD? What I mean is how can you get the DVD to play? Are there key commands you can use to navigate the disk? If so, how do you access those commands?
Thanks
Chris

To be honest for the ultra encripted dvds I use windows media player and fiddle with the dvd menus that way.

Thats mostly the startrek paramount stuff and some soni, bbc and the rest of it.

For 99.9% of all dvds I use dvd audio extracter.

Its I think 40 bucks but it extracts the audio in lots or from file by file.

One thing that really gets my goat is for example you buy or get a dvd from somewhere.

Then you can't just play it that easily, you need to crack the disk to get the files.

And for those that I have to bother with to get working I watch once then put on a shelf.

On the other hand if I can crack them then I can play the files where I wish.

I know there is a risk but its a pitty that there isn't another way for the blind to get access to audio described content in a way that the sighted can enjoy the same content while you muck round with your content.

On 31/05/2017 11:44 a.m., Chris Shook wrote:
Hi,
How do you watch movies on your computer using Power media player or Power DVD? What I mean is how can you get the DVD to play? Are there key commands you can use to navigate the disk? If so, how do you access those commands?
Thanks
Chris

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Thanks for the help. I'll try using windows media player and see if that works.

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Hi,
I tried to access the movie through Windows Media player, but it keeps bringing up Power Media player.
I am using a Windows 10 laptop.
I will appreciate any help anyone can give.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

If you want a media player to play your dvds and in most cases turn on
the audio description if on the dvd, VLC media player does the job.

some times you might be unable to play a dvd where they show the stuff
on screen, but the cloud ocr add on can help you there to.

I do have a tutorial on VLC media player if you are interested, it is
basically more written for playing music and dvds.

gene nz

--
Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net. Regardless of where you

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

the quickest way is press the windows key and in the search box type
default apps. you may not have to type it all but it will come up with a
search result called that. Press the enter key on it.

in that section it will give you options such as default browser, email etc

Tab to the one you want then either press the enter key or space bar. it
should drop down a list of stuff you can use, then press the enter key
on the one you want.

do that for your other apps if needed.

the following page might help you as well from off my website it is a
few of the things i changed etc. this was written when windows 10 came
out and the one for the start menu is the older way not the new way.
apart from that you might find some thing useful on it.

A link to this page is
http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20tutorials%20for%20windows%2010.html

Gene nz

On 31/05/2017 2:20 PM, Chris Shook wrote:
Hi,
I tried to access the movie through Windows Media player, but it keeps
bringing up Power Media player.
I am using a Windows 10 laptop.
I will appreciate any help anyone can give.

--
Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net. Regardless of where you
are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a
copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out
which locations or location is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries |
Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa -

Jacob Kruger

VLC media player?

Been a while since used it for an actual DVD, but, it's menus offered title navigation, soundtrack selection, etc. etc.?

And, there's an NVDA add-on for it.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2017-05-31 03:47, Chris Shook wrote:
Thanks for the help. I'll try using windows media player and see if that works.

Brian's Mail list account

Agreed. It seems a very grey area. I've mostly given up on dvds.
Back in th e day bbc were advocating a talking menu system for all dvds, but this seems to have gone out of the window.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Hi Jean,
Thanks for the help.
Is there anyway to watch regular DVD's on the computer? One's without descriptive video?

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

yes

Just do not turn it on it will play the dvd as normal.

In VLC media player after the movie is playing if the dvd did have a
audio description track it is a letter B i think it is to toggle it to
on or through the audio tracks.

if you do not do that it play as normal.

plus VLC will let you play all zone movies

Gene nz