New nvda sounds

Brian's Mail list account

I notice in the next branch of snaps, we are being given new start and end sounds and new edit and browse mode sounds. I have issues with some of these myself, but wanted to flag these up here for a a wider audience to try and perhaps feed back on on the devel list.
My main issue is the quietness of the edit mode and the similarity of the start and stop ones for nvda.

However others may beg to differ and love them, I don't know either way might be nice to have a choice rather than to just get the new ones.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Brian's Mail list account

Hard of hearing persons might like my slightly tweaked versions. Note that they go into the waves folder in the nvda folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkkz61mwjxjsqbk/waves.zip?dl=1

[...]

Jacob Kruger

Brian, I was feeling the same way - I actually prefer the old, 'classic' sounds myself.

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2017-05-31 13:19, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I notice in the next branch of snaps, we are being given new start and end sounds and new edit and browse mode sounds. I have issues with some of these myself, but wanted to flag these up here for a a wider audience to try and perhaps feed back on on the devel list.
My main issue is the quietness of the edit mode and the similarity of the start and stop ones for nvda.

However others may beg to differ and love them, I don't know either way might be nice to have a choice rather than to just get the new ones.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Mallard <mallard@...>

So do I, folks!

These sounds are definitely unobtrusive, but they're also insignificant, and can easily be missed.

Ciao,

Ollie

On 2017-05-31 13:19, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I notice in the next branch of snaps, we are being given new start and end sounds and new edit and browse mode sounds. I have issues with some of these myself, but wanted to flag these up here for a a wider audience to try and perhaps feed back on on the devel list.
My main issue is the quietness of the edit mode and the similarity of the start and stop ones for nvda.

However others may beg to differ and love them, I don't know either way might be nice to have a choice rather than to just get the new ones.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Rui Fontes

In portuguese mailing lists, several comments against new sounds, and none, absolutly none, in favour...

Rui Fontes

On 2017-05-31 13:19, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I notice in the next branch of snaps, we are being given new start and end sounds and new edit and browse mode sounds. I have issues with some of these myself, but wanted to flag these up here for a a wider audience to try and perhaps feed back on on the devel list.
My main issue is the quietness of the edit mode and the similarity of the start and stop ones for nvda.

However others may beg to differ and love them, I don't know either way might be nice to have a choice rather than to just get the new ones.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

I want the sounds it's about choice.

On 2017-05-31 13:19, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I notice in the next branch of snaps, we are being given new start and
end sounds and new edit and browse mode sounds. I have issues with
some of these myself, but wanted to flag these up here for a a wider
audience to try and perhaps feed back on on the devel list.
My main issue is the quietness of the edit mode and the similarity of
the start and stop ones for nvda.

However others may beg to differ and love them, I don't know either
way might be nice to have a choice rather than to just get the new ones.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

How can we get these new sounds now is there a way?

On 2017-05-31 13:19, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I notice in the next branch of snaps, we are being given new start and
end sounds and new edit and browse mode sounds. I have issues with
some of these myself, but wanted to flag these up here for a a wider
audience to try and perhaps feed back on on the devel list.
My main issue is the quietness of the edit mode and the similarity of
the start and stop ones for nvda.

However others may beg to differ and love them, I don't know either
way might be nice to have a choice rather than to just get the new ones.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Jacob Kruger

Dennis, download the NVDA decelopment snapshot, install it to something like a portable installation location, and then go copy the sound clips from the ./waves folder into your current installation's ./waves folder.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2017-05-31 13:19, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I notice in the next branch of snaps, we are being given new start and
end sounds and new edit and browse mode sounds. I have issues with
some of these myself, but wanted to flag these up here for a a wider
audience to try and perhaps feed back on on the devel list.
My main issue is the quietness of the edit mode and the similarity of
the start and stop ones for nvda.

However others may beg to differ and love them, I don't know either
way might be nice to have a choice rather than to just get the new ones.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

I am not sure how to install it as a portable could someone email me the
sounds

Dennisl1982@...

On 2017-05-31 13:19, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I notice in the next branch of snaps, we are being given new start
and end sounds and new edit and browse mode sounds. I have issues
with some of these myself, but wanted to flag these up here for a a
wider audience to try and perhaps feed back on on the devel list.
My main issue is the quietness of the edit mode and the similarity of
the start and stop ones for nvda.

However others may beg to differ and love them, I don't know either
way might be nice to have a choice rather than to just get the new ones.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

can I get the link to get the latest snapshot with the sounds?

On 2017-05-31 13:19, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I notice in the next branch of snaps, we are being given new start and
end sounds and new edit and browse mode sounds. I have issues with
some of these myself, but wanted to flag these up here for a a wider
audience to try and perhaps feed back on on the devel list.
My main issue is the quietness of the edit mode and the similarity of
the start and stop ones for nvda.

However others may beg to differ and love them, I don't know either
way might be nice to have a choice rather than to just get the new ones.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

J.G

Hi,

I have a suggestion: replace old browse/focus mode sounds with sounds, which were asigned to start/stop NVDA. For start/stop NVDA, please, please use old piano sounds.

regards, Jožef

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

No give the user the option between new and old sounds very simple.

I have a suggestion: replace old browse/focus mode sounds with sounds, which were asigned to start/stop NVDA. For start/stop NVDA, please, please use old piano sounds.

regards, Jožef

Gene

Run the installer.  Tab through the dialog and you will see that you mustg accept the license agreement.  The next dialog gives you choices such as install, make portable version and continue running.  Create a portable version.  Don't designate a folder with any other files in it.  The portable creator doesn't place the files in a folder of its own.  It will place the files directly in a folder you specify.  I had thought about commenting on this in the past but I didn't.  But NVDA should, in my opinion, create a folder when creating a portable version.  I had believed it would and so I designated a folder at one time and had the NVDA files placed in a folder with lots of other files.  Just as zip programs create a folder when unzipping, so, I think, should NVDA.

On 2017-05-31 19:01, Dennis L wrote:
> How can we get these new sounds now is there a way?

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

In my ioinion, some type os sound would be helpful because you don't always know if brouse mode is on or not.
I really don't see the point in changing the sounds. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
If they do get rid of the sounds, they'll need to add something that let's you know when brouse mode is active.

Gene

If people want to use sounds of some sort, that's fine.  But I strongly believe that sounds for browse mode and focus mode shouldn't be on by default.  People learning the screen-reader, especially those not familiar with the Internet, should get verbal prompts.

Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:18 PM

In my ioinion, some type os sound would be helpful because you don't
always know if brouse mode is on or not.
I really don't see the point in changing the sounds. If it ain't broke
don't fix it.
If they do get rid of the sounds, they'll need to add something that
let's you know when brouse mode is active.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi gene

I totally agree with you.

When ever i teach some one i have it so it says which mode it is in so the person knows when they can use single letter navigation in browse mode and when it says focus mode they can type say into a form.

then i will after a little let them know about the sounds but they usually stay with it been said.

Gene nz

Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:18 PM

--
Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net. Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations or location is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries | Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa -

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

Where do I go to get this version I need?

Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:18 PM

In my ioinion, some type os sound would be helpful because you don't
always know if brouse mode is on or not.
I really don't see the point in changing the sounds. If it ain't broke
don't fix it.
If they do get rid of the sounds, they'll need to add something that
let's you know when brouse mode is active.

--
Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net. Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations or location is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries | Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa -

Jacob Kruger

Dennis, be aware that, like it says on the page, it's the under-development snapshot version, so could have minor forms of issues/bugs in it, so, just make sure you do install it in a folder/location you can remove it from later on, etc. - don't let it override your normal/stable version until you are sure you want to work with it, but:

https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
On 2017-05-31 22:46, Dennis L wrote:

[...]

A verbal prompt that brouse mode was on would be good. So long as there is some sort of indication that brouse mode is on, I don't see a problem with getting rid of sounds.
System Access doesn't have a brouse mode at all. You simply go to the website go to the edit field you want and type. It used to allow you to type in any edit field. It doesn't work with Google anymore. Regardless, it's an idea for the NVDA developers.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

It should be a announcement you can turn on or off.