moving to NVDA

Josh Kennedy

If NVDA had a jaws layout addon and a window eyes layout addon then it would work. or you could go into the input gestures dialog box and change NVDA keyboard gestures. that's the only way I can think of to do such changes.

Josh Kennedy

I just had a good idea for NVDA. for those who are new to NVDA it would have a startup wizard with a interactive tutorial and default voice changer that would 1. when you first install it or start the installer wizard it will for those newcomers ask if you want to use the current voice? There would be a yes or no button. If you say no NVDA would bring up a list box with all voices available on the machine, including ability to download microsoft speech platform and one of those voices. It would also let you choose a keyboard layout in the getting started wizard. So you would choose a voice, hit ok, NVDA would use that one as the default during install and when you first run the installed copy. and 2. After installation it would have an interactive tutorial like talkback does on android. It would say stuff like lets practice object navigation and screen review. Then it would bring up a sample desktop with 2 or 3 icons, a list box, a checkbox, and a toolbar with some buttons in it and a sample edit box. The interactive tutorial would guide you through moving in and out of objects, using screen review to find certain items on screen, activating objects with insert or capslock enter, and routing the mouse and clicking. Also during the startup wizard it would let you set the rate and pitch and volume and if needed the variant of the current default voice. You could cancel the interactive tutorial by hitting escape at any time and when you complete the tutorial and startup wizard you'd hit finnish button and you're ready to go with the basics of using NVDA. Also during the interactive tutorial it would bring up a read only edit box with web movement commands you could read. I think such a tutorial and startup wizard would really help newcomers. oh and also in the select your default voice dialog it would give you the option of directly downloading and installing several free voices for you and then switching to the newly downloaded free voice.

Sally Kiebdaj

I have definitely used that to refresh my voice-over, chromevox, and talkback skills. It would definitely smooth the transition.

On Jun 1, 2017 08:01, "Josh Kennedy" <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:
[...]

Gene

You would overload the new NVDA user with information.  Try describing or demonstrating object navigation in half a page or one page.  To teach object avigation, it is far better to have a demonstration of what is done, for example, moving around the screen, and then entering a child object and moving around that.  Explanation would be offered but in the context of what is being done.  In other words, the tutorial would have a demonstration of someone using screen review commands to move, moving into a child object and moving through that and an exercise using something on screen to practice with.  But you can't teach these things in a short text based tutorial along with all the other things you want to teach.  If you give someone too much information at one time, that is as discouraging as not giving any, maybe more.  Certain very basic parameters should be offered during installation such as the ability to change the voice and setting whether and how NVDA will run at system boot up.  Actual instruction about using NVDA shouldn't be in this tutorial.

Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2017 7:01 AM
Subject: [nvda] moving to NVDA

[...]

Arlene

That would be a great idea! I like how you have changed the voices. Now you have Read on synth 4.

[...]

Kevin Huber

Hi:

Of course, by the time you go into the input gestures and make all
those changes, you might just as well have learned the natural NVDA
keystrokes.
Kevin Huber

On 5/31/17, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:
If NVDA had a jaws layout addon and a window eyes layout addon then it
would work. or you could go into the input gestures dialog box and
change NVDA keyboard gestures. that's the only way I can think of to do
such changes.

Quentin Christensen

I like the idea, I think as the others have said, that you wouldn't want it to be too in-depth (eg object navigation) as that would be confusing for new users.

I created an issue to document the idea: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7242  Feel free to comment on the issue if you'd like to clarify anything or subscribe to be updated on any progress of it.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Hi,

Wouldn’t it be better if we provide a button to open the user guide from welcome dialog? See my comment on that issue.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Joseph, I replied to your comment on the issue, but just for those reading here.  The idea of the tutorial is that it is interactive rather than simply opening a static document.  So it would present some text and get you to press NVDA+up arrow / NVDA+l to read the current line.  Then when you did that, it would get you to press NVDA+down arrow / NVDA+a to read from the current point forward.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

On other e-mail lists I'm on, new users often have certain questions.  The best thing might be to have a short document explaining certain things that appear likely to be the most asked and/or the most useful.

The document could explain how to change synthesizers and speed parameters.  A very often asked question, how do you unload NVDA, could be answered.  I'm not sure if users see information on running NVDA with a short cut command when they install it.  Perhaps it should say that if they are using a portable version, no such icons or commands will be made.
I don't think it's a good idea to give too much information.  The things people would probably want to know immediately are how to work with speech and synthesizers, how to unload the program, the read to ed command, and how to run it.  How to look at help would be a good thing to tell people and also, how to get tutorials since, presumably, a lot of people would rather learn from a tutorial.

This document could be a part of help and it could be shown until a do not show this check gbox is checked.  A certain amount of information is already shown and continues to be shown when the program runs but my recollection is that it isn't as much as I have suggested and that many important things for new users are not discussed such as how to get to help and where to look for tutorials and some other things I've discussed.

[...]

Bhavya shah

Hi,
I think this is a great idea as well. Object navigation and screen
review may be too much to incorporate into a quick kickstarter
interactive tutorial, agreeably. Such a feature should fire up only
after the user has worked with the Welcome dialog, where the user has
already selected their keyboard layout according to which the tutorial
will be structured. I will follow the ticket for updates and further
discussions on this fascinating issue.
Thanks.

wrote:

[...]

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

I just downloaded a copy of Windows eyes the free version and it did some thing simular to what is spoken when setting up.

I do not think there was a interactive tutorial, but the thing i did like was tips on using it.

There is a add on that is simular that can be found at https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/tipOfTheDay.en.html

It is called tip of the day and i wonder how many new users know of it or even where to get them from. At present it is a separate add on and not part of nvda.

I put new users of nvda once nvda has been downloaded i install the add on and show them where to get resources from to help them.

Most people know the basics but in short bursts like the tip of the day add on it is a good way to get some one up and running.

It can always be added to.

The idea of a interactive tutorial i have only used on a apple phone and a android phone. it was just as easy for me to grab the gestures to learn but that was more with a touch screen.

You do not want information overload and object navigation would do that to a new user. There are people on this list who might only do the basics and that is all they want to know.

I just looked at the welcome dialogue and that tells you how to get into the user manual which a new user could do easily then pick out wheather he learns the desk top layout for a desktop or the other for a laptop.
then learn a little at a time.

.

I wanted to find out a little more say for guides or help on the nvaccess website from nvda and as soon as you go to the website it plays the video. That i am guessing is a turn off and makes you want to get out of there quick.
I know the idea was to pro moat nvda with the video, but i think it should not automatically play.

If i done that to my pages on my website on every one i wonder how many people whould come back.
Funny thing it happens in mozilla fire fox but not my other browsers so does that happen to other people using mozilla fire fox? or not? maybe there is some thing that needs to be disabled in my browser from playing automatically.
.

What it is would any one have a clue it is driving me crazy when it does it.

.

I guess for a new user it helps if they are pointed in the right area from the screen reader.
I guess as in training resources if needed.

Gene nz

The stuff i would want to find is the shop pretty easy to get there and was looking for resources to help me learn not that i need it.
The guides are some where there or are they off the community website? or even some of the other resources?

I do not know how others feel about the video that plays straight away but i do not like it i would rather click on it if i want to listen to it.
A new user would freak and could confuse them even more.

Gene nz

On 2/06/2017 3:20 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

hi quentin and all developers.
i have a suggestion in this regard.
make tutorial available and let users select what they want to read first.
for example: basic tutorial for voices, reading texts, reading web
pages, nvda command, etc.
like user guide but more simple and shorter than user guide that
novice users can learn how to use nvda in the first time.

<joshknnd1982@...<mailto:joshknnd1982@...>> wrote:
[...]

Ph +61 7 3149 3306<tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
www.nvaccess.org<http://www.nvaccess.org/>
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New
Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA
screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert
exam.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

hi gene.
about windows eyes i heard thats its completely commercial like jaws.
am i right?
and about automatic playing of video in websites:
in the address bar of firefox type about:config
then press enter twice and accept the risk.
then type these in the search bar or copy them one by one and press
enter to make them false.
it prevents, automatic playing of any media files in different windows
versions using websites.
i also dont have flash player and this is very helpful for security
and also preventing automatic playing medias.
media.directshow.enabled
media.autoplay.enabled
media.play-stand-alone

On 2/06/2017 3:20 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Hi

Do not worry about the part now about the video playing automatically  i have disabled all the add ons in my browser then go back and see which one was causing it.

But the other questions still hope  sound right.

Gene nz

On 2/06/2017 3:20 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

now it does not automatically play it was driving me crazy.

Gene nz

On 2/06/2017 3:20 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Hi thanks

I have disabled them now all of them i ended up going through the add on section in the browser

On 2/06/2017 3:20 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Hi yes you are correct.

There was a free version that was released if you had a office 2010 and above package that was stripped down.

but there was a message that said about window eyes users and migrating to jaws which can be found at http://www.gwmicro.com/window-eyes/migrate/

It looks as though it is no more so if you had a payed version and the latest they would upgrade you to jaws 18 at no extra price but the next one you  will pay for the upgrade or sma each time.

if you had a earlier version like 8 you would have to pay for the upgrade to 18 so not sure if you had to buy the whole jaws package or the price of the sma or upgrade to jaws 18.

the free version will not be updated but over time it will stop working with other programs. they would probably like you to go to jaws or if people do not there is nvda which is free but donations always welcome.

it says what is happening on the link in this email to that page.

Gene nz

On 2/06/2017 3:20 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

If you have a copy of Microsoft office, or perhaps all that is required is Word, I don't recall, you can get a free version of Window-eyes.  At some point, that will be phased out.

Sent: Friday, June 02, 2017 12:00 AM

> [...]

>> how
>> to run it.  How to look at help would be a good thing to tell people and
>> also, how to get tutorials since, presumably, a lot of people would
>> rather
>> learn from a tutorial.
>>
>> This document could be a part of help and it could be shown until a do
>> not
>> show this check gbox is checked.  A certain amount of information is
>> already
>> shown and continues to be shown when the program runs but my recollection
>> is
>> that it isn't as much as I have suggested and that many important things
>> for
>> new users are not discussed such as how to get to help and where to look
>> for
>> tutorials and some other things I've discussed.

hi

the end of this month there was or is a link to the page in the email.

Gene nz

Sent: Friday, June 02, 2017 12:00 AM