moving to NVDA

Josh Kennedy

If NVDA had a jaws layout addon and a window eyes layout addon then it would work. or you could go into the input gestures dialog box and change NVDA keyboard gestures. that's the only way I can think of to do such changes.

Josh Kennedy

I just had a good idea for NVDA. for those who are new to NVDA it would have a startup wizard with a interactive tutorial and default voice changer that would 1. when you first install it or start the installer wizard it will for those newcomers ask if you want to use the current voice? There would be a yes or no button. If you say no NVDA would bring up a list box with all voices available on the machine, including ability to download microsoft speech platform and one of those voices. It would also let you choose a keyboard layout in the getting started wizard. So you would choose a voice, hit ok, NVDA would use that one as the default during install and when you first run the installed copy. and 2. After installation it would have an interactive tutorial like talkback does on android. It would say stuff like lets practice object navigation and screen review. Then it would bring up a sample desktop with 2 or 3 icons, a list box, a checkbox, and a toolbar with some buttons in it and a sample edit box. The interactive tutorial would guide you through moving in and out of objects, using screen review to find certain items on screen, activating objects with insert or capslock enter, and routing the mouse and clicking. Also during the startup wizard it would let you set the rate and pitch and volume and if needed the variant of the current default voice. You could cancel the interactive tutorial by hitting escape at any time and when you complete the tutorial and startup wizard you'd hit finnish button and you're ready to go with the basics of using NVDA. Also during the interactive tutorial it would bring up a read only edit box with web movement commands you could read. I think such a tutorial and startup wizard would really help newcomers. oh and also in the select your default voice dialog it would give you the option of directly downloading and installing several free voices for you and then switching to the newly downloaded free voice.

Sally Kiebdaj

I have definitely used that to refresh my voice-over, chromevox, and talkback skills. It would definitely smooth the transition.

On Jun 1, 2017 08:01, "Josh Kennedy" <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:
I just had a good idea for NVDA. for those who are new to NVDA it would have a startup wizard with a interactive tutorial and default voice changer that would 1. when you first install it or start the installer wizard it will for those newcomers ask if you want to use the current  voice? There would be a yes or no button. If you say no NVDA would bring up a list box with all voices available on the machine, including ability to download microsoft speech platform and one of those voices. It would also let you choose a keyboard layout in the getting started wizard. So you would choose a voice, hit ok, NVDA would use that one as the default during install and when you first run the installed copy. and 2. After installation it would have an interactive tutorial like talkback does on android. It would say stuff like lets practice object navigation and screen review. Then it would bring up a sample desktop with 2 or 3 icons, a list box, a checkbox, and a toolbar with some buttons in it and a sample edit box. The interactive tutorial would guide you through moving in and out of objects, using screen review to find certain items on screen, activating objects with insert or capslock enter, and routing the mouse and clicking. Also during the startup wizard it would let you set the rate and pitch and volume and if needed the variant of the current default voice. You could cancel the interactive tutorial by hitting escape at any time and when you complete the tutorial and startup wizard you'd hit finnish button and you're ready to go with the basics of using NVDA. Also during the interactive tutorial it would bring up a read only edit box with web movement commands you could read. I think such a tutorial and startup wizard would really help newcomers. oh and also in the select your default voice dialog it would give you the option of directly downloading and installing several free voices for you and then switching to the newly downloaded free voice.

Gene

You would overload the new NVDA user with information.  Try describing or demonstrating object navigation in half a page or one page.  To teach object avigation, it is far better to have a demonstration of what is done, for example, moving around the screen, and then entering a child object and moving around that.  Explanation would be offered but in the context of what is being done.  In other words, the tutorial would have a demonstration of someone using screen review commands to move, moving into a child object and moving through that and an exercise using something on screen to practice with.  But you can't teach these things in a short text based tutorial along with all the other things you want to teach.  If you give someone too much information at one time, that is as discouraging as not giving any, maybe more.  Certain very basic parameters should be offered during installation such as the ability to change the voice and setting whether and how NVDA will run at system boot up.  Actual instruction about using NVDA shouldn't be in this tutorial. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2017 7:01 AM
Subject: [nvda] moving to NVDA

I just had a good idea for NVDA. for those who are new to NVDA it would
have a startup wizard with a interactive tutorial and default voice
changer that would 1. when you first install it or start the installer
wizard it will for those newcomers ask if you want to use the current 
voice? There would be a yes or no button. If you say no NVDA would bring
up a list box with all voices available on the machine, including
ability to download microsoft speech platform and one of those voices.
It would also let you choose a keyboard layout in the getting started
wizard. So you would choose a voice, hit ok, NVDA would use that one as
the default during install and when you first run the installed copy.
and 2. After installation it would have an interactive tutorial like
talkback does on android. It would say stuff like lets practice object
navigation and screen review. Then it would bring up a sample desktop
with 2 or 3 icons, a list box, a checkbox, and a toolbar with some
buttons in it and a sample edit box. The interactive tutorial would
guide you through moving in and out of objects, using screen review to
find certain items on screen, activating objects with insert or capslock
enter, and routing the mouse and clicking. Also during the startup
wizard it would let you set the rate and pitch and volume and if needed
the variant of the current default voice. You could cancel the
interactive tutorial by hitting escape at any time and when you complete
the tutorial and startup wizard you'd hit finnish button and you're
ready to go with the basics of using NVDA. Also during the interactive
tutorial it would bring up a read only edit box with web movement
commands you could read. I think such a tutorial and startup wizard
would really help newcomers. oh and also in the select your default
voice dialog it would give you the option of directly downloading and
installing several free voices for you and then switching to the newly
downloaded free voice.

Arlene

That would be a great idea! I like how you have changed the voices. Now you have Read on synth 4.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: June-01-17 5:02 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] moving to NVDA

I just had a good idea for NVDA. for those who are new to NVDA it would have a startup wizard with a interactive tutorial and default voice changer that would 1. when you first install it or start the installer wizard it will for those newcomers ask if you want to use the current voice? There would be a yes or no button. If you say no NVDA would bring up a list box with all voices available on the machine, including ability to download microsoft speech platform and one of those voices.
It would also let you choose a keyboard layout in the getting started wizard. So you would choose a voice, hit ok, NVDA would use that one as the default during install and when you first run the installed copy.
and 2. After installation it would have an interactive tutorial like talkback does on android. It would say stuff like lets practice object navigation and screen review. Then it would bring up a sample desktop with 2 or 3 icons, a list box, a checkbox, and a toolbar with some buttons in it and a sample edit box. The interactive tutorial would guide you through moving in and out of objects, using screen review to find certain items on screen, activating objects with insert or capslock enter, and routing the mouse and clicking. Also during the startup wizard it would let you set the rate and pitch and volume and if needed the variant of the current default voice. You could cancel the interactive tutorial by hitting escape at any time and when you complete the tutorial and startup wizard you'd hit finnish button and you're ready to go with the basics of using NVDA. Also during the interactive tutorial it would bring up a read only edit box with web movement commands you could read. I think such a tutorial and startup wizard would really help newcomers. oh and also in the select your default voice dialog it would give you the option of directly downloading and installing several free voices for you and then switching to the newly downloaded free voice.

Kevin Huber

Hi:

Of course, by the time you go into the input gestures and make all
those changes, you might just as well have learned the natural NVDA
keystrokes.
Kevin Huber

On 5/31/17, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:
If NVDA had a jaws layout addon and a window eyes layout addon then it
would work. or you could go into the input gestures dialog box and
change NVDA keyboard gestures. that's the only way I can think of to do
such changes.

Quentin Christensen

I like the idea, I think as the others have said, that you wouldn't want it to be too in-depth (eg object navigation) as that would be confusing for new users.

I created an issue to document the idea: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7242  Feel free to comment on the issue if you'd like to clarify anything or subscribe to be updated on any progress of it.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:01 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:
I just had a good idea for NVDA. for those who are new to NVDA it would have a startup wizard with a interactive tutorial and default voice changer that would 1. when you first install it or start the installer wizard it will for those newcomers ask if you want to use the current  voice? There would be a yes or no button. If you say no NVDA would bring up a list box with all voices available on the machine, including ability to download microsoft speech platform and one of those voices. It would also let you choose a keyboard layout in the getting started wizard. So you would choose a voice, hit ok, NVDA would use that one as the default during install and when you first run the installed copy. and 2. After installation it would have an interactive tutorial like talkback does on android. It would say stuff like lets practice object navigation and screen review. Then it would bring up a sample desktop with 2 or 3 icons, a list box, a checkbox, and a toolbar with some buttons in it and a sample edit box. The interactive tutorial would guide you through moving in and out of objects, using screen review to find certain items on screen, activating objects with insert or capslock enter, and routing the mouse and clicking. Also during the startup wizard it would let you set the rate and pitch and volume and if needed the variant of the current default voice. You could cancel the interactive tutorial by hitting escape at any time and when you complete the tutorial and startup wizard you'd hit finnish button and you're ready to go with the basics of using NVDA. Also during the interactive tutorial it would bring up a read only edit box with web movement commands you could read. I think such a tutorial and startup wizard would really help newcomers. oh and also in the select your default voice dialog it would give you the option of directly downloading and installing several free voices for you and then switching to the newly downloaded free voice.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Hi,

Wouldn’t it be better if we provide a button to open the user guide from welcome dialog? See my comment on that issue.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Thursday, June 1, 2017 5:28 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] moving to NVDA

I like the idea, I think as the others have said, that you wouldn't want it to be too in-depth (eg object navigation) as that would be confusing for new users.

I created an issue to document the idea: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7242  Feel free to comment on the issue if you'd like to clarify anything or subscribe to be updated on any progress of it.

Regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org 

Quentin Christensen

Joseph, I replied to your comment on the issue, but just for those reading here.  The idea of the tutorial is that it is interactive rather than simply opening a static document.  So it would present some text and get you to press NVDA+up arrow / NVDA+l to read the current line.  Then when you did that, it would get you to press NVDA+down arrow / NVDA+a to read from the current point forward.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

Wouldn’t it be better if we provide a button to open the user guide from welcome dialog? See my comment on that issue.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen

Regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

www.nvaccess.org 

--
Quentin Christensen

www.nvaccess.org 

Gene

On other e-mail lists I'm on, new users often have certain questions.  The best thing might be to have a short document explaining certain things that appear likely to be the most asked and/or the most useful. 

The document could explain how to change synthesizers and speed parameters.  A very often asked question, how do you unload NVDA, could be answered.  I'm not sure if users see information on running NVDA with a short cut command when they install it.  Perhaps it should say that if they are using a portable version, no such icons or commands will be made.
I don't think it's a good idea to give too much information.  The things people would probably want to know immediately are how to work with speech and synthesizers, how to unload the program, the read to ed command, and how to run it.  How to look at help would be a good thing to tell people and also, how to get tutorials since, presumably, a lot of people would rather learn from a tutorial.  

This document could be a part of help and it could be shown until a do not show this check gbox is checked.  A certain amount of information is already shown and continues to be shown when the program runs but my recollection is that it isn't as much as I have suggested and that many important things for new users are not discussed such as how to get to help and where to look for tutorials and some other things I've discussed.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2017 7:30 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

www.nvaccess.org 

Bhavya shah

Hi,
I think this is a great idea as well. Object navigation and screen
review may be too much to incorporate into a quick kickstarter
interactive tutorial, agreeably. Such a feature should fire up only
after the user has worked with the Welcome dialog, where the user has
already selected their keyboard layout according to which the tutorial
will be structured. I will follow the ticket for updates and further
discussions on this fascinating issue.
Thanks.

On 6/2/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
On other e-mail lists I'm on, new users often have certain questions. The
best thing might be to have a short document explaining certain things that
appear likely to be the most asked and/or the most useful.

The document could explain how to change synthesizers and speed parameters.
A very often asked question, how do you unload NVDA, could be answered. I'm
not sure if users see information on running NVDA with a short cut command
when they install it. Perhaps it should say that if they are using a
portable version, no such icons or commands will be made.
I don't think it's a good idea to give too much information. The things
people would probably want to know immediately are how to work with speech
and synthesizers, how to unload the program, the read to ed command, and how
to run it. How to look at help would be a good thing to tell people and
also, how to get tutorials since, presumably, a lot of people would rather
learn from a tutorial.

This document could be a part of help and it could be shown until a do not
show this check gbox is checked. A certain amount of information is already
shown and continues to be shown when the program runs but my recollection is
that it isn't as much as I have suggested and that many important things for
new users are not discussed such as how to get to help and where to look for
tutorials and some other things I've discussed.

Gene

Hi,

Wouldn’t it be better if we provide a button to open the user guide from
welcome dialog? See my comment on that issue.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin
Christensen

I like the idea, I think as the others have said, that you wouldn't want it
to be too in-depth (eg object navigation) as that would be confusing for new
users.

I created an issue to document the idea:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7242 Feel free to comment on the
issue if you'd like to clarify anything or subscribe to be updated on any
progress of it.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:01 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>
wrote:

have a startup wizard with a interactive tutorial and default voice changer
that would 1. when you first install it or start the installer wizard it
will for those newcomers ask if you want to use the current voice? There
would be a yes or no button. If you say no NVDA would bring up a list box
with all voices available on the machine, including ability to download
microsoft speech platform and one of those voices. It would also let you
choose a keyboard layout in the getting started wizard. So you would choose
a voice, hit ok, NVDA would use that one as the default during install and
when you first run the installed copy. and 2. After installation it would
have an interactive tutorial like talkback does on android. It would say
stuff like lets practice object navigation and screen review. Then it would
bring up a sample desktop with 2 or 3 icons, a list box, a checkbox, and a
toolbar with some buttons in it and a sample edit box. The interactive
tutorial would guide you through moving in and out of objects, using screen
review to find certain items on screen, activating objects with insert or
capslock enter, and routing the mouse and clicking. Also during the startup
wizard it would let you set the rate and pitch and volume and if needed the
variant of the current default voice. You could cancel the interactive
tutorial by hitting escape at any time and when you complete the tutorial
and startup wizard you'd hit finnish button and you're ready to go with the
basics of using NVDA. Also during the interactive tutorial it would bring up
a read only edit box with web movement commands you could read. I think such
a tutorial and startup wizard would really help newcomers. oh and also in
the select your default voice dialog it would give you the option of
directly downloading and installing several free voices for you and then
switching to the newly downloaded free voice.

--

Quentin Christensen

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available:
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306

www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

I just downloaded a copy of Windows eyes the free version and it did some thing simular to what is spoken when setting up.

I do not think there was a interactive tutorial, but the thing i did like was tips on using it.

There is a add on that is simular that can be found at https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/tipOfTheDay.en.html

It is called tip of the day and i wonder how many new users know of it or even where to get them from. At present it is a separate add on and not part of nvda.

I put new users of nvda once nvda has been downloaded i install the add on and show them where to get resources from to help them.

Most people know the basics but in short bursts like the tip of the day add on it is a good way to get some one up and running.

It can always be added to.

The idea of a interactive tutorial i have only used on a apple phone and a android phone. it was just as easy for me to grab the gestures to learn but that was more with a touch screen.

You do not want information overload and object navigation would do that to a new user. There are people on this list who might only do the basics and that is all they want to know.

I just looked at the welcome dialogue and that tells you how to get into the user manual which a new user could do easily then pick out wheather he learns the desk top layout for a desktop or the other for a laptop.
then learn a little at a time.

I wanted to find out a little more say for guides or help on the nvaccess website from nvda and as soon as you go to the website it plays the video. That i am guessing is a turn off and makes you want to get out of there quick.
I know the idea was to pro moat nvda with the video, but i think it should not automatically play.

If i done that to my pages on my website on every one i wonder how many people whould come back.
Funny thing it happens in mozilla fire fox but not my other browsers so does that happen to other people using mozilla fire fox? or not? maybe there is some thing that needs to be disabled in my browser from playing automatically.

What it is would any one have a clue it is driving me crazy when it does it.

I guess for a new user it helps if they are pointed in the right area from the screen reader.
I guess as in training resources if needed.

Gene nz

The stuff i would want to find is the shop pretty easy to get there and was looking for resources to help me learn not that i need it.
The guides are some where there or are they off the community website? or even some of the other resources?

I do not know how others feel about the video that plays straight away but i do not like it i would rather click on it if i want to listen to it.
A new user would freak and could confuse them even more.

Gene nz

On 2/06/2017 3:20 PM, Gene wrote:
On other e-mail lists I'm on, new users often have certain questions.  The best thing might be to have a short document explaining certain things that appear likely to be the most asked and/or the most useful. 

The document could explain how to change synthesizers and speed parameters.  A very often asked question, how do you unload NVDA, could be answered.  I'm not sure if users see information on running NVDA with a short cut command when they install it.  Perhaps it should say that if they are using a portable version, no such icons or commands will be made.
I don't think it's a good idea to give too much information.  The things people would probably want to know immediately are how to work with speech and synthesizers, how to unload the program, the read to ed command, and how to run it.  How to look at help would be a good thing to tell people and also, how to get tutorials since, presumably, a lot of people would rather learn from a tutorial.  

This document could be a part of help and it could be shown until a do not show this check gbox is checked.  A certain amount of information is already shown and continues to be shown when the program runs but my recollection is that it isn't as much as I have suggested and that many important things for new users are not discussed such as how to get to help and where to look for tutorials and some other things I've discussed.

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

www.nvaccess.org 

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

hi quentin and all developers.
i have a suggestion in this regard.
make tutorial available and let users select what they want to read first.
for example: basic tutorial for voices, reading texts, reading web
pages, nvda command, etc.
like user guide but more simple and shorter than user guide that
novice users can learn how to use nvda in the first time.

On 6/2/17, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:
I just downloaded a copy of Windows eyes the free version and it did some
thing simular to what is spoken when setting up.

I do not think there was a interactive tutorial, but the thing i did like
was tips on using it.

There is a add on that is simular that can be found at
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/tipOfTheDay.en.html

It is called tip of the day and i wonder how many new users know of it or
even where to get them from. At present it is a separate add on and not part
of nvda.

I put new users of nvda once nvda has been downloaded i install the add on
and show them where to get resources from to help them.

Most people know the basics but in short bursts like the tip of the day add
on it is a good way to get some one up and running.

The idea of a interactive tutorial i have only used on a apple phone and a
android phone. it was just as easy for me to grab the gestures to learn but
that was more with a touch screen.

You do not want information overload and object navigation would do that to
a new user. There are people on this list who might only do the basics and
that is all they want to know.

I just looked at the welcome dialogue and that tells you how to get into the
user manual which a new user could do easily then pick out wheather he
learns the desk top layout for a desktop or the other for a laptop.

I wanted to find out a little more say for guides or help on the nvaccess
website from nvda and as soon as you go to the website it plays the video.
That i am guessing is a turn off and makes you want to get out of there
quick.
I know the idea was to pro moat nvda with the video, but i think it should
not automatically play.

If i done that to my pages on my website on every one i wonder how many
people whould come back.
Funny thing it happens in mozilla fire fox but not my other browsers so does
that happen to other people using mozilla fire fox? or not? maybe there is
some thing that needs to be disabled in my browser from playing
automatically.

What it is would any one have a clue it is driving me crazy when it does
it.

I guess for a new user it helps if they are pointed in the right area from
the screen reader.

Gene nz

The stuff i would want to find is the shop pretty easy to get there and was
looking for resources to help me learn not that i need it.
The guides are some where there or are they off the community website? or
even some of the other resources?

I do not know how others feel about the video that plays straight away but i
do not like it i would rather click on it if i want to listen to it.

Gene nz

On other e-mail lists I'm on, new users often have certain questions. The
best thing might be to have a short document explaining certain things that

The document could explain how to change synthesizers and speed parameters.
A very often asked question, how do you unload NVDA, could be answered. I'm
not sure if users see information on running NVDA with a short cut command
people would probably want to know immediately are how to work with speech
and synthesizers, how to unload the program, the read to ed command, and how
also, how to get tutorials since, presumably, a lot of people would rather
learn from a tutorial.

This document could be a part of help and it could be shown until a do not
show this check gbox is checked. A certain amount of information is already
shown and continues to be shown when the program runs but my recollection is
that it isn't as much as I have suggested and that many important things for
new users are not discussed such as how to get to help and where to look for

Gene
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

[mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen

I like the idea, I think as the others have said, that you wouldn't want it
to be too in-depth (eg object navigation) as that would be confusing for new
users.

progress of it.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:01 PM, Josh Kennedy
<joshknnd1982@...<mailto:joshknnd1982@...>> wrote:
I just had a good idea for NVDA. for those who are new to NVDA it would have
a startup wizard with a interactive tutorial and default voice changer that
would 1. when you first install it or start the installer wizard it will for
those newcomers ask if you want to use the current voice? There would be a
yes or no button. If you say no NVDA would bring up a list box with all
voices available on the machine, including ability to download microsoft
speech platform and one of those voices. It would also let you choose a
keyboard layout in the getting started wizard. So you would choose a voice,
hit ok, NVDA would use that one as the default during install and when you
first run the installed copy. and 2. After installation it would have an
interactive tutorial like talkback does on android. It would say stuff like
lets practice object navigation and screen review. Then it would bring up a
sample desktop with 2 or 3 icons, a list box, a checkbox, and a toolbar with
some buttons in it and a sample edit box. The interactive tutorial would
guide you through moving in and out of objects, using screen review to find
certain items on screen, activating objects with insert or capslock enter,
and routing the mouse and clicking. Also during the startup wizard it would
let you set the rate and pitch and volume and if needed the variant of the
current default voice. You could cancel the interactive tutorial by hitting
escape at any time and when you complete the tutorial and startup wizard
you'd hit finnish button and you're ready to go with the basics of using
NVDA. Also during the interactive tutorial it would bring up a read only
edit box with web movement commands you could read. I think such a tutorial
and startup wizard would really help newcomers. oh and also in the select
your default voice dialog it would give you the option of directly
downloading and installing several free voices for you and then switching to
the newly downloaded free voice.

--
Quentin Christensen

Ph +61 7 3149 3306<tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
www.nvaccess.org<http://www.nvaccess.org/>

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New
Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA
screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert
exam.
--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org

hi gene.
about windows eyes i heard thats its completely commercial like jaws.
am i right?
and about automatic playing of video in websites:
in the address bar of firefox type about:config
then press enter twice and accept the risk.
then type these in the search bar or copy them one by one and press
enter to make them false.
it prevents, automatic playing of any media files in different windows
versions using websites.
i also dont have flash player and this is very helpful for security
and also preventing automatic playing medias.
media.directshow.enabled
media.autoplay.enabled
media.play-stand-alone

On 6/2/17, zahra a <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:

was tips on using it.

even where to get them from. At present it is a separate add on and not
part
of nvda.

I put new users of nvda once nvda has been downloaded i install the add
on

Most people know the basics but in short bursts like the tip of the day
add

The idea of a interactive tutorial i have only used on a apple phone and
a
android phone. it was just as easy for me to grab the gestures to learn
but

You do not want information overload and object navigation would do that
to
a new user. There are people on this list who might only do the basics
and

I just looked at the welcome dialogue and that tells you how to get into
the

website from nvda and as soon as you go to the website it plays the
video.
quick.
I know the idea was to pro moat nvda with the video, but i think it
should
not automatically play.

people whould come back.
Funny thing it happens in mozilla fire fox but not my other browsers so
does
that happen to other people using mozilla fire fox? or not? maybe there
is
automatically.

it.

I guess for a new user it helps if they are pointed in the right area
from
the screen reader.

Gene nz

The stuff i would want to find is the shop pretty easy to get there and
was

I do not know how others feel about the video that plays straight away but
i

Gene nz

On other e-mail lists I'm on, new users often have certain questions.
The
best thing might be to have a short document explaining certain things
that

The document could explain how to change synthesizers and speed
parameters.
A very often asked question, how do you unload NVDA, could be answered.
I'm
not sure if users see information on running NVDA with a short cut
command
people would probably want to know immediately are how to work with
speech
and synthesizers, how to unload the program, the read to ed command, and
how
also, how to get tutorials since, presumably, a lot of people would
rather
learn from a tutorial.

This document could be a part of help and it could be shown until a do
not
show this check gbox is checked. A certain amount of information is
already
shown and continues to be shown when the program runs but my recollection
is
that it isn't as much as I have suggested and that many important things
for
new users are not discussed such as how to get to help and where to look
for

Gene

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

I like the idea, I think as the others have said, that you wouldn't want
it
to be too in-depth (eg object navigation) as that would be confusing for
new
users.

progress of it.

Regards

Quentin.

have
a startup wizard with a interactive tutorial and default voice changer
that
would 1. when you first install it or start the installer wizard it will
for
those newcomers ask if you want to use the current voice? There would be
a
keyboard layout in the getting started wizard. So you would choose a
voice,
hit ok, NVDA would use that one as the default during install and when
you
interactive tutorial like talkback does on android. It would say stuff
lets practice object navigation and screen review. Then it would bring up
a
sample desktop with 2 or 3 icons, a list box, a checkbox, and a toolbar
with
find
certain items on screen, activating objects with insert or capslock
enter,
and routing the mouse and clicking. Also during the startup wizard it
would
let you set the rate and pitch and volume and if needed the variant of
the
current default voice. You could cancel the interactive tutorial by
hitting
edit box with web movement commands you could read. I think such a
tutorial
downloading and installing several free voices for you and then switching
to

--
Quentin Christensen

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related
material
Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the
NVDA
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you,
please
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified
individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA
expert
exam.

--
al-islam.org
--
al-islam.org

Hi

Do not worry about the part now about the video playing automatically  i have disabled all the add ons in my browser then go back and see which one was causing it.

But the other questions still hope  sound right.

Gene nz

On 2/06/2017 4:37 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

I just downloaded a copy of Windows eyes the free version and it did some thing simular to what is spoken when setting up.

I do not think there was a interactive tutorial, but the thing i did like was tips on using it.

There is a add on that is simular that can be found at https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/tipOfTheDay.en.html

It is called tip of the day and i wonder how many new users know of it or even where to get them from. At present it is a separate add on and not part of nvda.

I put new users of nvda once nvda has been downloaded i install the add on and show them where to get resources from to help them.

Most people know the basics but in short bursts like the tip of the day add on it is a good way to get some one up and running.

The idea of a interactive tutorial i have only used on a apple phone and a android phone. it was just as easy for me to grab the gestures to learn but that was more with a touch screen.

You do not want information overload and object navigation would do that to a new user. There are people on this list who might only do the basics and that is all they want to know.

I just looked at the welcome dialogue and that tells you how to get into the user manual which a new user could do easily then pick out wheather he learns the desk top layout for a desktop or the other for a laptop.

I wanted to find out a little more say for guides or help on the nvaccess website from nvda and as soon as you go to the website it plays the video. That i am guessing is a turn off and makes you want to get out of there quick.
I know the idea was to pro moat nvda with the video, but i think it should not automatically play.

If i done that to my pages on my website on every one i wonder how many people whould come back.
Funny thing it happens in mozilla fire fox but not my other browsers so does that happen to other people using mozilla fire fox? or not? maybe there is some thing that needs to be disabled in my browser from playing automatically.

I guess for a new user it helps if they are pointed in the right area from the screen reader.

Gene nz

The stuff i would want to find is the shop pretty easy to get there and was looking for resources to help me learn not that i need it.
The guides are some where there or are they off the community website? or even some of the other resources?

I do not know how others feel about the video that plays straight away but i do not like it i would rather click on it if i want to listen to it.

Gene nz

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

www.nvaccess.org 

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

--

Hi

Do not worry about the part now about the video playing automatically  i have disabled all the add ons in my browser then go back and see which one was causing it.

But the other questions still hope  sound right.

Gene nz

now it does not automatically play it was driving me crazy.

Gene nz

On 2/06/2017 4:37 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Gene nz

Gene nz

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

www.nvaccess.org 

--

--

Hi thanks

I have disabled them now all of them i ended up going through the add on section in the browser

On 2/06/2017 5:00 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
hi gene.
am i right?
versions using websites.
media.directshow.enabled
media.autoplay.enabled
media.play-stand-alone

was tips on using it.

part
of nvda.

on

add

a
but

to
and

the

video.
quick.
should
not automatically play.

people whould come back.
does
is
automatically.

it.

from
the screen reader.

Gene nz

was

i

Gene nz

The
that

parameters.
I'm
command
when they install it.  Perhaps it should say that if they are using a
I don't think it's a good idea to give too much information.  The things
speech
how
to run it.  How to look at help would be a good thing to tell people and
rather
learn from a tutorial.

not
show this check gbox is checked.  A certain amount of information is
already
is
for
for

Gene

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

it
new
users.

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7242  Feel free to comment on the
progress of it.

Regards

Quentin.

have
that
for
those newcomers ask if you want to use the current  voice? There would be
a
voice,
you
a
with
find
enter,
would
the
hitting
tutorial
to

--
Quentin Christensen

--
[Image NVDA          certified expert]
material
NVDA
please
individuals
expert
exam.

--
al-islam.org

--

Hi yes you are correct.

There was a free version that was released if you had a office 2010 and above package that was stripped down.

but there was a message that said about window eyes users and migrating to jaws which can be found at http://www.gwmicro.com/window-eyes/migrate/

It looks as though it is no more so if you had a payed version and the latest they would upgrade you to jaws 18 at no extra price but the next one you  will pay for the upgrade or sma each time.

if you had a earlier version like 8 you would have to pay for the upgrade to 18 so not sure if you had to buy the whole jaws package or the price of the sma or upgrade to jaws 18.

the free version will not be updated but over time it will stop working with other programs. they would probably like you to go to jaws or if people do not there is nvda which is free but donations always welcome.

it says what is happening on the link in this email to that page.

Gene nz

On 2/06/2017 5:00 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
hi gene.
am i right?
versions using websites.
media.directshow.enabled
media.autoplay.enabled
media.play-stand-alone

was tips on using it.

part
of nvda.

on

add

a
but

to
and

the

video.
quick.
should
not automatically play.

people whould come back.
does
is
automatically.

it.

from
the screen reader.

Gene nz

was

i

Gene nz

The
that

parameters.
I'm
command
when they install it.  Perhaps it should say that if they are using a
I don't think it's a good idea to give too much information.  The things
speech
how
to run it.  How to look at help would be a good thing to tell people and
rather
learn from a tutorial.

not
show this check gbox is checked.  A certain amount of information is
already
is
for
for

Gene

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

it
new
users.

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7242  Feel free to comment on the
progress of it.

Regards

Quentin.

have
that
for
those newcomers ask if you want to use the current  voice? There would be
a
voice,
you
a
with
find
enter,
would
the
hitting
tutorial
to

--
Quentin Christensen

--
[Image NVDA          certified expert]
material
NVDA
please
individuals
expert
exam.

--
al-islam.org

--

Gene

If you have a copy of Microsoft office, or perhaps all that is required is Word, I don't recall, you can get a free version of Window-eyes.  At some point, that will be phased out. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, June 02, 2017 12:00 AM

hi gene.
am i right?
versions using websites.
media.directshow.enabled
media.autoplay.enabled
media.play-stand-alone

> hi quentin and all developers.
> i have a suggestion in this regard.
> make tutorial available and let users select what they want to read first.
> for example: basic tutorial for voices, reading texts, reading web
> pages, nvda command, etc.
> like user guide but more simple and shorter than user guide that
> novice users can learn how to use nvda in the first time.
>
> On 6/2/17, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:
>> I just downloaded a copy of Windows eyes the free version and it did some
>> thing simular to what is spoken when setting up.
>>
>>
>> I do not think there was a interactive tutorial, but the thing i did like
>> was tips on using it.
>>
>>
>> There is a add on that is simular that can be found at
>> https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/tipOfTheDay.en.html
>>
>> It is called tip of the day and i wonder how many new users know of it or
>> even where to get them from. At present it is a separate add on and not
>> part
>> of nvda.
>>
>>
>> I put new users of nvda once nvda has been downloaded i install the add
>> on
>> and show them where to get resources from to help them.
>>
>>
>> Most people know the basics but in short bursts like the tip of the day
>> add
>> on it is a good way to get some one up and running.
>>
>>
>> It can always be added to.
>>
>>
>> The idea of a interactive tutorial i have only used on a apple phone and
>> a
>> android phone. it was just as easy for me to grab the gestures to learn
>> but
>> that was more with a touch screen.
>>
>>
>> You do not want information overload and object navigation would do that
>> to
>> a new user. There are people on this list who might only do the basics
>> and
>> that is all they want to know.
>>
>>
>> I just looked at the welcome dialogue and that tells you how to get into
>> the
>> user manual which a new user could do easily then pick out wheather he
>> learns the desk top layout for a desktop or the other for a laptop.
>> then learn a little at a time.
>>
>> .
>>
>> I wanted to find out a little more say for guides or help on the nvaccess
>> website from nvda and as soon as you go to the website it plays the
>> video.
>> That i am guessing is a turn off and makes you want to get out of there
>> quick.
>> I know the idea was to pro moat nvda with the video, but i think it
>> should
>> not automatically play.
>>
>> If i done that to my pages on my website on every one i wonder how many
>> people whould come back.
>> Funny thing it happens in mozilla fire fox but not my other browsers so
>> does
>> that happen to other people using mozilla fire fox? or not? maybe there
>> is
>> some thing that needs to be disabled in my browser from playing
>> automatically.
>> .
>>
>> What it is would any one have a clue it is driving me crazy when it does
>> it.
>>
>> .
>>
>> I guess for a new user it helps if they are pointed in the right area
>> from
>> the screen reader.
>> I guess as in training resources if needed.
>>
>> Gene nz
>>
>> The stuff i would want to find is the shop pretty easy to get there and
>> was
>> looking for resources to help me learn not that i need it.
>> The guides are some where there or are they off the community website? or
>> even some of the other resources?
>>
>>
>> I do not know how others feel about the video that plays straight away but
>> i
>> do not like it i would rather click on it if i want to listen to it.
>> A new user would freak and could confuse them even more.
>>
>>
>> Gene nz
>>
>> On 2/06/2017 3:20 PM, Gene wrote:
>> On other e-mail lists I'm on, new users often have certain questions.
>> The
>> best thing might be to have a short document explaining certain things
>> that
>> appear likely to be the most asked and/or the most useful.
>>
>> The document could explain how to change synthesizers and speed
>> parameters.
>> A very often asked question, how do you unload NVDA, could be answered.
>> I'm
>> not sure if users see information on running NVDA with a short cut
>> command
>> when they install it.  Perhaps it should say that if they are using a
>> portable version, no such icons or commands will be made.
>> I don't think it's a good idea to give too much information.  The things
>> people would probably want to know immediately are how to work with
>> speech
>> and synthesizers, how to unload the program, the read to ed command, and
>> how
>> to run it.  How to look at help would be a good thing to tell people and
>> also, how to get tutorials since, presumably, a lot of people would
>> rather
>> learn from a tutorial.
>>
>> This document could be a part of help and it could be shown until a do
>> not
>> show this check gbox is checked.  A certain amount of information is
>> already
>> shown and continues to be shown when the program runs but my recollection
>> is
>> that it isn't as much as I have suggested and that many important things
>> for
>> new users are not discussed such as how to get to help and where to look
>> for
>> tutorials and some other things I've discussed.
>>
>> Gene
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Joseph Lee<mailto:joseph.lee22590@...>
>> Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2017 7:30 PM
>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>> Subject: Re: [nvda] moving to NVDA
>>
>> Hi,
>> Wouldn’t it be better if we provide a button to open the user guide from
>> welcome dialog? See my comment on that issue.
>> Cheers,
>> Joseph
>>
>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>> [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
>> Sent: Thursday, June 1, 2017 5:28 PM
>>
>> I like the idea, I think as the others have said, that you wouldn't want
>> it
>> to be too in-depth (eg object navigation) as that would be confusing for
>> new
>> users.
>>
>> I created an issue to document the idea:
>> https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7242  Feel free to comment on the
>> issue if you'd like to clarify anything or subscribe to be updated on any
>> progress of it.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Quentin.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:01 PM, Josh Kennedy
>> <joshknnd1982@...<mailto:joshknnd1982@...>> wrote:
>> I just had a good idea for NVDA. for those who are new to NVDA it would
>> have
>> a startup wizard with a interactive tutorial and default voice changer
>> that
>> would 1. when you first install it or start the installer wizard it will
>> for
>> those newcomers ask if you want to use the current  voice? There would be
>> a
>> yes or no button. If you say no NVDA would bring up a list box with all
>> voices available on the machine, including ability to download microsoft
>> speech platform and one of those voices. It would also let you choose a
>> keyboard layout in the getting started wizard. So you would choose a
>> voice,
>> hit ok, NVDA would use that one as the default during install and when
>> you
>> first run the installed copy. and 2. After installation it would have an
>> interactive tutorial like talkback does on android. It would say stuff
>> like
>> lets practice object navigation and screen review. Then it would bring up
>> a
>> sample desktop with 2 or 3 icons, a list box, a checkbox, and a toolbar
>> with
>> some buttons in it and a sample edit box. The interactive tutorial would
>> guide you through moving in and out of objects, using screen review to
>> find
>> certain items on screen, activating objects with insert or capslock
>> enter,
>> and routing the mouse and clicking. Also during the startup wizard it
>> would
>> let you set the rate and pitch and volume and if needed the variant of
>> the
>> current default voice. You could cancel the interactive tutorial by
>> hitting
>> escape at any time and when you complete the tutorial and startup wizard
>> you'd hit finnish button and you're ready to go with the basics of using
>> NVDA. Also during the interactive tutorial it would bring up a read only
>> edit box with web movement commands you could read. I think such a
>> tutorial
>> and startup wizard would really help newcomers. oh and also in the select
>> your default voice dialog it would give you the option of directly
>> downloading and installing several free voices for you and then switching
>> to
>> the newly downloaded free voice.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Quentin Christensen
>> Training and Support Manager
>>
>> Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available:
>> http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>>
>> Ph +61 7 3149 3306<tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
>> www.nvaccess.org<http://www.nvaccess.org/>
>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
>> Twitter: @NVAccess
>>
>>
>> --
>> [Image NVDA          certified expert]
>> Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related
>> material
>> at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New
>> Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the
>> NVDA
>> screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
>> location) is near to you please visit
>> http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
>> People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you,
>> please
>> visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
>> certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified
>> individuals
>> from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA
>> expert
>> exam.
>>
>
>
> --
> we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
> holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
> in the very authentic narration is:
> imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
> best website for studying islamic book in different languages
> al-islam.org
>

--
al-islam.org

hi

the end of this month there was or is a link to the page in the email.

Gene nz

On 3/06/2017 12:11 AM, Gene wrote:
If you have a copy of Microsoft office, or perhaps all that is required is Word, I don't recall, you can get a free version of Window-eyes.  At some point, that will be phased out. 

Gene
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2017 12:00 AM

hi gene.
am i right?
versions using websites.
media.directshow.enabled
media.autoplay.enabled
media.play-stand-alone

> hi quentin and all developers.
> i have a suggestion in this regard.
> make tutorial available and let users select what they want to read first.
> for example: basic tutorial for voices, reading texts, reading web
> pages, nvda command, etc.
> like user guide but more simple and shorter than user guide that
> novice users can learn how to use nvda in the first time.
>
> On 6/2/17, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:
>> I just downloaded a copy of Windows eyes the free version and it did some
>> thing simular to what is spoken when setting up.
>>
>>
>> I do not think there was a interactive tutorial, but the thing i did like
>> was tips on using it.
>>
>>
>> There is a add on that is simular that can be found at
>> https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/tipOfTheDay.en.html
>>
>> It is called tip of the day and i wonder how many new users know of it or
>> even where to get them from. At present it is a separate add on and not
>> part
>> of nvda.
>>
>>
>> I put new users of nvda once nvda has been downloaded i install the add
>> on
>> and show them where to get resources from to help them.
>>
>>
>> Most people know the basics but in short bursts like the tip of the day
>> add
>> on it is a good way to get some one up and running.
>>
>>
>> It can always be added to.
>>
>>
>> The idea of a interactive tutorial i have only used on a apple phone and
>> a
>> android phone. it was just as easy for me to grab the gestures to learn
>> but
>> that was more with a touch screen.
>>
>>
>> You do not want information overload and object navigation would do that
>> to
>> a new user. There are people on this list who might only do the basics
>> and
>> that is all they want to know.
>>
>>
>> I just looked at the welcome dialogue and that tells you how to get into
>> the
>> user manual which a new user could do easily then pick out wheather he
>> learns the desk top layout for a desktop or the other for a laptop.
>> then learn a little at a time.
>>
>> .
>>
>> I wanted to find out a little more say for guides or help on the nvaccess
>> website from nvda and as soon as you go to the website it plays the
>> video.
>> That i am guessing is a turn off and makes you want to get out of there
>> quick.
>> I know the idea was to pro moat nvda with the video, but i think it
>> should
>> not automatically play.
>>
>> If i done that to my pages on my website on every one i wonder how many
>> people whould come back.
>> Funny thing it happens in mozilla fire fox but not my other browsers so
>> does
>> that happen to other people using mozilla fire fox? or not? maybe there
>> is
>> some thing that needs to be disabled in my browser from playing
>> automatically.
>> .
>>
>> What it is would any one have a clue it is driving me crazy when it does
>> it.
>>
>> .
>>
>> I guess for a new user it helps if they are pointed in the right area
>> from
>> the screen reader.
>> I guess as in training resources if needed.
>>
>> Gene nz
>>
>> The stuff i would want to find is the shop pretty easy to get there and
>> was
>> looking for resources to help me learn not that i need it.
>> The guides are some where there or are they off the community website? or
>> even some of the other resources?
>>
>>
>> I do not know how others feel about the video that plays straight away but
>> i
>> do not like it i would rather click on it if i want to listen to it.
>> A new user would freak and could confuse them even more.
>>
>>
>> Gene nz
>>
>> On 2/06/2017 3:20 PM, Gene wrote:
>> On other e-mail lists I'm on, new users often have certain questions.
>> The
>> best thing might be to have a short document explaining certain things
>> that
>> appear likely to be the most asked and/or the most useful.
>>
>> The document could explain how to change synthesizers and speed
>> parameters.
>> A very often asked question, how do you unload NVDA, could be answered.
>> I'm
>> not sure if users see information on running NVDA with a short cut
>> command
>> when they install it.  Perhaps it should say that if they are using a
>> portable version, no such icons or commands will be made.
>> I don't think it's a good idea to give too much information.  The things
>> people would probably want to know immediately are how to work with
>> speech
>> and synthesizers, how to unload the program, the read to ed command, and
>> how
>> to run it.  How to look at help would be a good thing to tell people and
>> also, how to get tutorials since, presumably, a lot of people would
>> rather
>> learn from a tutorial.
>>
>> This document could be a part of help and it could be shown until a do
>> not
>> show this check gbox is checked.  A certain amount of information is
>> already
>> shown and continues to be shown when the program runs but my recollection
>> is
>> that it isn't as much as I have suggested and that many important things
>> for
>> new users are not discussed such as how to get to help and where to look
>> for
>> tutorials and some other things I've discussed.
>>
>> Gene
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Joseph Lee<mailto:joseph.lee22590@...>
>> Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2017 7:30 PM
>>
>> Hi,
>> Wouldn’t it be better if we provide a button to open the user guide from
>> welcome dialog? See my comment on that issue.
>> Cheers,
>> Joseph
>>
>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>> [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
>> Sent: Thursday, June 1, 2017 5:28 PM
>>
>> I like the idea, I think as the others have said, that you wouldn't want
>> it
>> to be too in-depth (eg object navigation) as that would be confusing for
>> new
>> users.
>>
>> I created an issue to document the idea:
>> https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7242  Feel free to comment on the
>> issue if you'd like to clarify anything or subscribe to be updated on any
>> progress of it.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Quentin.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:01 PM, Josh Kennedy
>> <joshknnd1982@...<mailto:joshknnd1982@...>> wrote:
>> I just had a good idea for NVDA. for those who are new to NVDA it would
>> have
>> a startup wizard with a interactive tutorial and default voice changer
>> that
>> would 1. when you first install it or start the installer wizard it will
>> for
>> those newcomers ask if you want to use the current  voice? There would be
>> a
>> yes or no button. If you say no NVDA would bring up a list box with all
>> voices available on the machine, including ability to download microsoft
>> speech platform and one of those voices. It would also let you choose a
>> keyboard layout in the getting started wizard. So you would choose a
>> voice,
>> hit ok, NVDA would use that one as the default during install and when
>> you
>> first run the installed copy. and 2. After installation it would have an
>> interactive tutorial like talkback does on android. It would say stuff
>> like
>> lets practice object navigation and screen review. Then it would bring up
>> a
>> sample desktop with 2 or 3 icons, a list box, a checkbox, and a toolbar
>> with
>> some buttons in it and a sample edit box. The interactive tutorial would
>> guide you through moving in and out of objects, using screen review to
>> find
>> certain items on screen, activating objects with insert or capslock
>> enter,
>> and routing the mouse and clicking. Also during the startup wizard it
>> would
>> let you set the rate and pitch and volume and if needed the variant of
>> the
>> current default voice. You could cancel the interactive tutorial by
>> hitting
>> escape at any time and when you complete the tutorial and startup wizard
>> you'd hit finnish button and you're ready to go with the basics of using
>> NVDA. Also during the interactive tutorial it would bring up a read only
>> edit box with web movement commands you could read. I think such a
>> tutorial
>> and startup wizard would really help newcomers. oh and also in the select
>> your default voice dialog it would give you the option of directly
>> downloading and installing several free voices for you and then switching
>> to
>> the newly downloaded free voice.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Quentin Christensen
>> Training and Support Manager
>>
>> Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available:
>> http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>>
>> Ph +61 7 3149 3306<tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
>> www.nvaccess.org<http://www.nvaccess.org/>
>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
>> Twitter: @NVAccess
>>
>>
>> --
>> [Image NVDA          certified expert]
>> Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related
>> material
>> at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New
>> Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the
>> NVDA
>> screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
>> location) is near to you please visit
>> http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
>> People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you,
>> please
>> visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
>> certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified
>> individuals
>> from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA
>> expert
>> exam.
>>
>
>
> --
> we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
> holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
> in the very authentic narration is:
> imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
> best website for studying islamic book in different languages
> al-islam.org
>

--
al-islam.org

--