Accessing the menu bar on Firefox

James AUSTIN

Hi everyone

I am sure this has been discussed before, but could someone please tell me howto access the menu bar where some of the Firefox add-ons are located please? I have installed the Zoterro plugin and would like to see how it compares to its standalone version.

Thank you

Best

James

James,

        I'm not entirely clear about what you're trying to do, but here goes.

        If your only concern is getting to the add-ons manager then CTRL+SHIFT+A will open it in a new Tab.

        Alt, alone, will cause the menu bar to appear, and if you prefer to go in that way it would be ALT+T,A

         From there you should be able to access the options/settings for your various add-ons, enable/disable them, or remove them.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

            Niels Bohr

Gene

I believe there is a tool bar, not a menu, that shows at least some add ons.  My guess is that that is what is being asked about but I don't know if it's accessible.

Gene
        I'm not entirely clear about what you're trying to do, but here goes.

        If your only concern is getting to the add-ons manager then CTRL+SHIFT+A will open it in a new Tab.

        Alt, alone, will cause the menu bar to appear, and if you prefer to go in that way it would be ALT+T,A

         From there you should be able to access the options/settings for your various add-ons, enable/disable them, or remove them.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

            Niels Bohr

James AUSTIN

Yes, that is what I meant a toolbar. Sorrry for the confusion.

On 03/06/2017 01:41, Gene wrote:

I believe there is a tool bar, not a menu, that shows at least some add ons.  My guess is that that is what is being asked about but I don't know if it's accessible.

Gene
        I'm not entirely clear about what you're trying to do, but here goes.

        If your only concern is getting to the add-ons manager then CTRL+SHIFT+A will open it in a new Tab.

        Alt, alone, will cause the menu bar to appear, and if you prefer to go in that way it would be ALT+T,A

         From there you should be able to access the options/settings for your various add-ons, enable/disable them, or remove them.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

            Niels Bohr

James AUSTIN

Hi Brian

Thank you for the shortcuts, I did not know these.

Best

James

On 02/06/2017 23:35, Brian Vogel wrote:

James,

        I'm not entirely clear about what you're trying to do, but here goes.

        If your only concern is getting to the add-ons manager then CTRL+SHIFT+A will open it in a new Tab.

        Alt, alone, will cause the menu bar to appear, and if you prefer to go in that way it would be ALT+T,A

         From there you should be able to access the options/settings for your various add-ons, enable/disable them, or remove them.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

            Niels Bohr

hi james.
also if you want to access only plugins which previous versions of
firefox support,
you can type
about:plugins
in the address bar of firefox.
God bless you and its my pleasure to help others.

On 6/3/17, James AUSTIN <james.londonsw15@...> wrote:
Hi Brian

Thank you for the shortcuts, I did not know these.

Best

James

On 02/06/2017 23:35, Brian Vogel wrote:
James,

I'm not entirely clear about what you're trying to do, but
here goes.

If your only concern is getting to the add-ons manager then
CTRL+SHIFT+A will open it in a new Tab.

Alt, alone, will cause the menu bar to appear, and if you
prefer to go in that way it would be ALT+T,A

From there you should be able to access the options/settings
for your various add-ons, enable/disable them, or remove them.
--
/Brian/- Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

*//**/The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement./**/
But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another/**/ profound
truth./*

*/~ /**/Niels Bohr/*

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

James AUSTIN

Hi Brian

A nice find thank you so much.

Best wishes

James

On 03/06/2017 09:44, nasrin khaksar wrote:
[...]

From there you should be able to access the options/settings
for your various add-ons, enable/disable them, or remove them.
--
/Brian/- Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

*//**/The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement./**/
But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another/**/ profound
truth./*

*/~ /**/Niels Bohr/*

Tony Ballou

Hi James,

in Firefox, go to the tools menu, it is the second option in the list
under downloads. You can also get there by hitting control-shift-a.
Hope this helps.

Tony

On 6/2/2017 5:13 PM, James AUSTIN wrote:
Hi everyone

I am sure this has been discussed before, but could someone please
tell me howto access the menu bar where some of the Firefox add-ons
are located please? I have installed the Zoterro plugin and would like
to see how it compares to its standalone version.

Thank you

Best

James

If anyone happens to know how to directly gain access to the "button bar" to the right of the web address entry and search entry boxes in Firefox would you please share?

I know that you can get to any of the add-ons that display buttons here via the methods I and others have discussed, but I cannot come up with a way to get to those buttons.  In Chrome, since there is no real menu set at all in the conventional sense, hitting Alt throws focus to the Menu Button on the far right and you can left arrow your way backward across all the buttons between it and the web address entry box.  I cannot seem to throw focus up there for Firefox and I'm convinced there must be a way I just don't know about.  Under Firefox hitting Alt brings up the good, old-fashioned menu bar and throws focus on it.  I can't even manage to tab my way in to that collection of buttons under Firefox.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

            Niels Bohr

Dan Beaver

Hi,

I don't know if this is what you are after or not but see what you think.

When in Firefox on a webpage I can press alt-s and then cursor left once and I hear "toolbar submenu" and then if I cursor down once I hear "sidebar submenu".  These submenus have a few choices each.

Is this what you are looking for?

If not then it just shows how little I know about this. ;-))

Dan Beaver

On 6/3/2017 5:14 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

You may be able to do so with object navigation.  I'm not sure how convenient it is to work with such buttons.  Try using the command NVDA key b and see if it reads the buttons as it goes through and reads just about all the objects on screen.  Sometimes, I find that this command doesn't read everything and other times, I find that I come across things by doing so I missed otherwise.  Whether that is because I missed something in examining all the child objects on screen or because of some other anomaly, I'm not sure.  But if you issue this command, then stop reading with control if you hear the buttons being read, the object navigator will probably be on one of the buttons and you can try moving around.

I've seen buttons for some Firefox features in that way such as the chat feature Firefox has, I don't remember its name.

Gene
[...]

You never open anything such as a submenu by moving to the left in a menu structure.  What you are doing is opening history with alt s, then left arrowing once to move left one menu, to the view menu.  Since you are already in an opened menu, history, when you move left, you are moving to the menu to the left and you are in the menu, not at the menu because you got there from an already opened menu.  If you were on the menu bar, just pressing alt places you there, and you moved with left and right arrows, you would hear the names of the closed menus announced.  If you are in an opened menu and move to another menu, you won't hear the name of the menu announced.

If you open the menus with alt, right arrow to the view menu, and start down arrowing, you will see the same things.  Also, alt v places you in the view menu.  do you understand how to hear short cut commands for opening various menus when you press alt and then right or left arrow from menu to menu?  You can open a submenu when you are in a menu by right arrowing or pressing enter on the submenu.  But as I said, moving left never opens anything.  It will move you to the next menu to the left that is not a submenu.

I don't know if going into all this is helpful but it may help you move through menus more efficiently and understand how to look through menus more systematically and know better where you are.

Gene

----- Original Message -----From: Dan Beaver
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2017 4:42 PM

[...]

Yep, I wasn't saying that I was opening menus by cursoring to the left.  I was just saying that pressing alt+s and then cursoring left shows those 2 submenus.

Like I said, this may just show how little I know about the buttons he is looking for.

Dan Beaver

Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2017 4:42 PM

[...]

But do you understand that you are opening history and then moving left into the opened view menu?  You would see exactly the same things if you went to the view menu and started down arrowing.  I'm going into this because it may help you work with Windows and Windows programs better if you understand the structure of menus better.

Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2017 4:42 PM

[...]

Yes, I do now. ;-))

Dan Beaver

Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2017 4:42 PM

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

which ones are those?

is it the one with the pocket list etc? are they refered to as buttons for each one?

if it is those ones to get up there i can use the ctrl + letter  L to get to the location bar where the web address is. If you tabbed once it will put you in the search engine part.

But when you are on the location bar the one i can get to them is use object navigation. on the desktop i use the nvda key + number 6 on the numeric keypad until it tell me there is no next and you should hear reload current page, there will be no further you can go.

next for some reason use the nvda key + number 2 on the numeric keypad, then go back up with nvda key + number 8 on the numeric keypad.

Next use the nvda key + 6 on the numeric key pad and it will give you other options. Mine i can get to pocket and a few others and they refer to them as buttons.

I did not try to interact with the buttons but either the nvda key + enter key on the numeric keypad should do it. Not sure if the space bar or enter key would but the one  mentioned with the nvda key + enter key should.

I know also there is some shortcuts but not sure if there is for that area.

Gene nz

will.

You might even be able to use the mouse and move it around and hear what is spoken under it. make sure mouse tracking is on.

On 4/06/2017 9:14 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

You will need to change into object navigation mode with the nvda key + one on the numeric keypad then do the following.
Use the ctrl key + letter L so it throws the focus to the location bar.
Then use object navigation to get to those areas as below.

Actually a easier way is to use the nvda key + number 8 on the numeric key pad to go up a level, then use the nvda key + 6 on the numeric keypad to you get to the same area.
.

Gene nz

[...]

Hi Jean

Thank you very much. I stupidly forgot to hold the NVDA key while navigating in Object Review Mode.

Best

James