latest Skype update

Jenni Kent <jennipalmer@...>

So I was encouraged by my computer to try the new Skype well now i can't go back to the classic Skype it seems and it would also seem that the new version is a mess for accessibility in my humble opinion has anyone used this new version of Skype successfully and what are your thoughts and tips? Also i still use jaws on occasion to help a friend who refuses to give up on it no idea why but i was that way once too so i cant say anything. but i will try checking in with others as well maybe the add on list who knows who might have a clue or if anything how can i roll back to classic oh and good news the feedback hub works with nvda unlike jaws. just saying can anyone help me with my problem?

Thanks, awaiting the ding for email on my phone,

Jenni

Chris

Hello

I don’t know if its still the same but a while ago I just simply uninstalled the skype app and stuck with the desktop version ever since and the app has never returned since

But as far as I can remember both both should run together  with no issue or it did do

Sorry if that is not much help

Good luck

So I was encouraged by my computer to try the new Skype well now i can't

new version is a mess for accessibility in my humble opinion has anyone

used this new version of Skype successfully and what are your thoughts

and tips? Also i still use jaws on occasion to help a friend who refuses

to give up on it no idea why but i was that way once too so i cant say

anything.  but i will try checking in with others as well maybe the add

on list who knows who might have a clue or if anything how can i roll

back to classic oh and good news the feedback hub works with nvda unlike

jaws. just saying can anyone help me with my problem?

Thanks, awaiting the ding for email on my phone,

Jenni

David Moore

Hi!

I have exactly the same problem. JAWS or NVDA does not seem to access the new Skype nearly as well. I would love to switch back as well. Also, is the New Skype the same Skype as the win10 Skype app, or is it something else. I wasn’t even sure about that.

Have a great one, guys!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

So I was encouraged by my computer to try the new Skype well now i can't

new version is a mess for accessibility in my humble opinion has anyone

used this new version of Skype successfully and what are your thoughts

and tips? Also i still use jaws on occasion to help a friend who refuses

to give up on it no idea why but i was that way once too so i cant say

anything.  but i will try checking in with others as well maybe the add

on list who knows who might have a clue or if anything how can i roll

back to classic oh and good news the feedback hub works with nvda unlike

jaws. just saying can anyone help me with my problem?

Thanks, awaiting the ding for email on my phone,

Jenni

what if you run skype classic?

Its clear skype app like most universal apps suck.

I had this with something on another computer, do a system restore or reformat thats what I did and it was ok again.

Its really bad that you can click things and not go back.

But a good reinstall will fix it, I wish ms made uwp as accessible as they say, but guess not, thank god for reformats.

This still gets my goat, it really does.

So far I have managed to not use uwp unless I need to then I stay far away just like narator.

On 4/06/2017 8:46 a.m., Jenni Kent wrote:
So I was encouraged by my computer to try the new Skype well now i can't go back to the classic Skype it seems and it would also seem that the new version is a mess for accessibility in my humble opinion has anyone used this new version of Skype successfully and what are your thoughts and tips? Also i still use jaws on occasion to help a friend who refuses to give up on it no idea why but i was that way once too so i cant say anything. but i will try checking in with others as well maybe the add on list who knows who might have a clue or if anything how can i roll back to classic oh and good news the feedback hub works with nvda unlike jaws. just saying can anyone help me with my problem?

Thanks, awaiting the ding for email on my phone,

Jenni

.

Brian's Mail list account

First thing to do in 10 is to activate the system restore, and always save a restore point before you install anything at all, then you can roll back with no issues.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

Where do you get the desktop client for windows7?

So I was encouraged by my computer to try the new Skype well now i can't

new version is a mess for accessibility in my humble opinion has anyone

used this new version of Skype successfully and what are your thoughts

and tips? Also i still use jaws on occasion to help a friend who refuses

to give up on it no idea why but i was that way once too so i cant say

anything.  but i will try checking in with others as well maybe the add

on list who knows who might have a clue or if anything how can i roll

back to classic oh and good news the feedback hub works with nvda unlike

jaws. just saying can anyone help me with my problem?

Thanks, awaiting the ding for email on my phone,

Jenni

Brian's Mail list account

The updater keeps on showing me this as an optional update on 7 if I check for updates manually.
[...]

valiant8086

Hi.

I have both skype universal, and skype for desktop, on 3 of my computers. For all of those, if I launch the skype universal app, it continues using that one, it starts by default and I get notifications from that one in my action center etc. If I launch the skype for desktop program instead, it closes down the skype universal app and that universal app stopps notifying me, calls come in via skype for desktop. So, try running the skype icon on your desktop. If you don't have it, try downloading skype for desktop from the skype.com website. Once you install it, it'll disable the skype universal app until you manually run skype universal. you may occasionally be asked if you'd like to try upgrading to the new universal app while running the desktop app, but if you ignore these and hit no it won't force you, at least it hasn't yet.

Lastly, the skype universal app is completely accessible, it's just screen readers aren't doing a terribly good job dealing with it. JAWS for one is very sluggish and reads the conversations and contact and message lists poorly, NVDA handles that better, and NVDA even does or did support reading of chats using insert+shift+1 through 0, that might be a feature of win10 app essentials though.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, A.K.A. valiant8086. General Partner - Valiant Galaxy Associates "We make Very Good Audiogames for the blind community - http://valiantGalaxy.com"

<Sent with Thunderbird 52.1.0 portable>
On 6/3/2017 5:11 PM, Chris wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your info on the Skype app.

I am trying to use the Desktop version on one computer, and the Win10 Skype app on my other laptop. I am trying to see if the app will work as well as the Desktop Program of Skype. Do you guys know of any other key commands for the win10 Skype app?

Have a great one!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

So I was encouraged by my computer to try the new Skype well now i can't

new version is a mess for accessibility in my humble opinion has anyone

used this new version of Skype successfully and what are your thoughts

and tips? Also i still use jaws on occasion to help a friend who refuses

to give up on it no idea why but i was that way once too so i cant say

anything.  but i will try checking in with others as well maybe the add

on list who knows who might have a clue or if anything how can i roll

back to classic oh and good news the feedback hub works with nvda unlike

jaws. just saying can anyone help me with my problem?

Thanks, awaiting the ding for email on my phone,

Jenni

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

I don't see that as an option.

Where do you get the desktop client for windows7?

So I was encouraged by my computer to try the new Skype well now i can't

new version is a mess for accessibility in my humble opinion has anyone

used this new version of Skype successfully and what are your thoughts

and tips? Also i still use jaws on occasion to help a friend who refuses

to give up on it no idea why but i was that way once too so i cant say

anything. but i will try checking in with others as well maybe the add

on list who knows who might have a clue or if anything how can i roll

back to classic oh and good news the feedback hub works with nvda unlike

jaws. just saying can anyone help me with my problem?

Thanks, awaiting the ding for email on my phone,

Jenni

Brian's Mail list account

In that case you have either hidden it at some time, or its already been installed.
[...]

I was able to go to skype.com and roll back to classic that's good. but it still troubles me they make these apps virtually inaccessible. but hey what can we do right i did get it to be usable but still with no hotkeys or anything it needs work.

On 6/3/2017 4:16 PM, David Moore wrote:

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

On which version of skype the app or the desk top version?

The desktop version has short cut keys they just need to be enabled.

Gene nz

On 6/06/2017 9:01 AM, Jenni Kent wrote:

[...]

Tyler Wood

Hi,

Hotkeys do work with NVDA to read chats.

This is 100% accessible, I’m not sure what you mean by it’s inaccessible as tabbing around gives you all the rellivant info you have always gotten with the classic skype.

So I was encouraged by my computer to try the new Skype well now i can't

new version is a mess for accessibility in my humble opinion has anyone

used this new version of Skype successfully and what are your thoughts

and tips? Also i still use jaws on occasion to help a friend who refuses

to give up on it no idea why but i was that way once too so i cant say

anything.  but i will try checking in with others as well maybe the add

on list who knows who might have a clue or if anything how can i roll

back to classic oh and good news the feedback hub works with nvda unlike

jaws. just saying can anyone help me with my problem?

Thanks, awaiting the ding for email on my phone,

Jenni

Chris

It looks like they are going to kill off the desktop version of skype in july

That’s progress I guess

Brian's Mail list account

Whats her name Jenny the accessability lead at Msoft needs to get these sorted I think.
I am awfully worried that if things work with narrator they think job done.
[...]

Hmph not really, I like skype classic, no skype for me then.

On 6/06/2017 7:36 p.m., Chris wrote:
It looks like they are going to kill off the desktop version of skype in july

That’s progress I guess ☹

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

When i had a quick look at the metro style version of skype it seemed fairly accessible, but will have to play with it a little more.

I was able to make a test call etc but seemed along the lines of the classic version.

Gene nz

On 8/06/2017 3:00 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Hmph not really, I like skype classic, no skype for me then.

On 6/06/2017 7:36 p.m., Chris wrote:
It looks like they are going to kill off the desktop version of skype in july

That’s progress I guess ☹

Arlene

Hi, is this for win ten? I never go on skype. It never worked properly for me.  I’m glad it works okay for you blind folk. But for me, Skype is junk! Loll.  I had nothing but problems with it. Even with my first xp box.  I baught mike after mike because people complained they could not hear me. Or I was too loud.  With this 7 box same thing.  people could not hear me.  So, I just gave up on it.