Topics

Which Python version, for NVDA?

David <trailerdavid@...>

Listers,
I do realize this might be out of scope for this very list, but still
hoped someone could give me a pound of feedback on the matter.

I am one of the long-time Window-Eyes users, that currently are left in
the bewildered state of choosing a new screen reader, with all that
includes for decision-making. I further have been contributing with apps
(or what you typically will be naming add-ons) under Window-eyes. For
one thing, I am the author of the Extended Dictionary - which became
quite popular under the WinEyes screen reader.

Further, I have been programming under a few environments, for a number
of years. Now's time to move on, and learn something new. Either I will
have to transmit to Jaws, and learn their scripting environment. Or, I
will have to go into NVDA, and learn to build and modify code for that
screen reader, if I want to continue taking control on the higher level,
of what is being presented to my ears.

If I am correct in my received information, NVDA is being developed
under Python; one of the programming languages I have not really had any
experience with so far. I did some searching on the net, for any good
general tutorials or books, for Python programming. In one of these, I
learned that there seems to co-exist several versions of the Python
language, and that it is important to have the right one installed, even
if it is not necessarily the newest. I am not in a position to know to
what extent such info is correct. But could someone at least tell me the
following:

Which Python version should I get installed, and where is the best place
to get it? Obviously, I am running Windows, 7Pro.

Is there any tutorial, that you might suggest, for a newbie under the
Python? That is, I do have long-time programming experience, but is
totally new to the Python language.

It has been my understanding, that there would be an attempt to create a
tutorial for developing stuff for the NVDA screen reader. If this is
correct, where can I find such material?

Again, obviously, what I am looking for, is something that will take me
from the very basics, and onward - in such a simple way that it is
possible for self-education. And no, I do not have anything more than 24
hours in my day, so great if things are accompanied with some easy to
follow sample codes. Smiles.

Thanks to all who might point me on the road. :)

Hi David,
Python: you'll need Python 2.7, which can be downloaded from python.org.
As for concepts you need: if you know languages such as C, C++, Java and friends and can explain what classes and modules are, then you're all set to go. The difference would be how concepts are expressed in Python syntax.
For writing add-ons: yes, I'm the one who wrote the add-on development guide at:
https://github.com/nvdaaddons/DevGuide/wiki/NVDA-Add-on-Development-Guide
As for your Window-Eyes apps: if you give us permission, I and other add-on writers will guide you through converting your Window-Eyes apps into an NVDA add-on.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Igor Kaplan

Hi David,

Actually Python is a very easy language to pick up, if you have an experience with other programming languages you will pick up Python in no time. Also Python is very fun language to program with!
There a lot of tutorials for Python programming, I found quite many just giving "python tutorial" search under Google, for example:
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/
https://www.learnpython.org/
http://www.python-course.eu/course.php

Just one thing, it is better to make sure, tutorial covers python 2.7 and not 3.x. There are quite big differences between 2.7 and 3.x and I think, NVDA supports 2.7 only.

Fill free to ask, if you have any Python-related questions.
Igorkaplan45@gmail.com

Good luck!

Igor.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes there are, but very few for those who have not used object orientated concepts in the past, and a good many which do not explain in words the syntax, ie preferring often screenshots.
Really object oriented is a concept to get ones head around. In the old days we tended to kind of construct objects in arrays of course but that was about it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-