From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Moore
Sent: 12 June 2017 09:40
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: strange problem

Hi,

I have had those experiences many times! LOL! I just mark it up as a beautiful freeky thing. I could tell you things like that all day LOL!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

De: anthony borg
Data: 12 de junho de 2017 21:35
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Assunto: Re: [nvda] strange problem

Hello all

I tried to access the synthizer area to change the voice, but only the microsofft platform is showing me.

Also evrytime I tried the command control key plus NVDA plus v, nothing happens.

Can somebody please explain to me what I should to correct this problem?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

From: Rosemarie Chavarria

That's wild! I don't know what made the insert key work correctly but I'm
glad it's fine now.

Rosemarie

I woke up this morning, started up nvda, and all of a sudden, my insert key
on the numpad started working correctly. Would you believe it.

I wonder what in the world caused it to all of a sudden start working?

Does anyone happen to know?

This is just getting more weird by the minute!

Thanks.

Chris.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hello, Anthony,

NVDA control S is what you hit to go to a different synthesizer. NVDA control V is what you hit forchanging the voice.

Hope this helps.

Rosemarie

On 6/12/2017 1:35 PM, anthony borg wrote:

[...]

anthony borg

HI ROSEMARIE

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR GOOD EXPLANATION, BUT FIRST OF ALL WHEN I TRIED THE SYNTHESIZERS AREA THROUGH THE MENU, THE ONLY SYNTHESIZER I FOUND THERE THIS TIME WAS THE MICROSOFFT PLATFORM ONE, WHILE THERE SHOULD BE ELOQUENCE AS WELL. AND WHEN I EVRYTIME PRESSED CONTROL PLUS NVDA V, FOR VOICES NOTHING HAPPEN.

MOST PROBABLY I MIGHT HAVE PRESSED SOMETHING WRONG SOMEWHERE THAT MIGHT HAS CAUSED THIS PROBLEM.

I HOPE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN.

THANKS ONCE AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP,

BEST REGARDS

ANTHONY

I have had those experiences many times! LOL! I just mark it up as a beautiful freeky thing. I could tell you things like that all day LOL!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

That's wild! I don't know what made the insert key work correctly but I'm
glad it's fine now.

Rosemarie

I woke up this morning, started up nvda, and all of a sudden, my insert key
on the numpad started working correctly. Would you believe it.

I wonder what in the world caused it to all of a sudden start working?

Does anyone happen to know?

This is just getting more weird by the minute!

Thanks.

Chris.

anthony borg

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP RUI, BUT MY PROBLEM IS THAT EVEN WHEN I GO TO SYNTHESIZERS THROUGH THE MENU, TO CHANGE IT, THE ONLY

SYNTHESIZER I GOT THERE NOW IS THE MICROSOFFT PLATFORM, WHILE I SHOULD HAVE THE ELOQUENCE INSTALLED AS WELL.

MOST PROBABLY WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED IS THAT I MIGHT HAVE PRESSED SOMETHING WRONG, BECAUSE EVEN WHEN I PRESS NVDA PLUS CONTROL V, NOTTHING HAPPEN.

From: Rosemarie Chavarria

That's wild! I don't know what made the insert key work correctly but I'm
glad it's fine now.

Rosemarie

I woke up this morning, started up nvda, and all of a sudden, my insert key
on the numpad started working correctly. Would you believe it.

I wonder what in the world caused it to all of a sudden start working?

Does anyone happen to know?

This is just getting more weird by the minute!

Thanks.

Chris.

Rui Fontes

Sorry, but can you turn CapsLock off?

If you need, and your system is in english, we can try to see what's happening in a remote session...

Rui

From: Rosemarie Chavarria

That's wild! I don't know what made the insert key work correctly but I'm
glad it's fine now.

Rosemarie

I woke up this morning, started up nvda, and all of a sudden, my insert key
on the numpad started working correctly. Would you believe it.

I wonder what in the world caused it to all of a sudden start working?

Does anyone happen to know?

This is just getting more weird by the minute!

Thanks.

Chris.

anthony borg

Hi rui

Is it possible if i contact you out of list to be able to explain to you much better please?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

From: Rosemarie Chavarria

From: Rosemarie Chavarria

That's wild! I don't know what made the insert key work correctly but I'm
glad it's fine now.

Rosemarie

I woke up this morning, started up nvda, and all of a sudden, my insert key
on the numpad started working correctly. Would you believe it.

I wonder what in the world caused it to all of a sudden start working?

Does anyone happen to know?

This is just getting more weird by the minute!

Thanks.

Chris.

anthony borg

Hi rosemarie

I’m so sorry for the trouble I might have given you, but just to let you know that finally I managed to find out what was the problem.

Last time I went in to the menu, I entert the in put section and I pressed the space bar on the first item without knowing what was going to happen,

That’s why I couldn’t access the synthesizers.

Thanks once again for your help.

Kindest regards

[...]

Thanks once again for your help, and I still keep your address.

Kindest regards

Anthony

From: Rosemarie Chavarria

That's wild! I don't know what made the insert key work correctly but I'm glad it's fine now.

Rosemarie

I woke up this morning, started up nvda, and all of a sudden, my insert key on the numpad started working correctly. Would you believe it.

I wonder what in the world caused it to all of a sudden start working?

Does anyone happen to know?

This is just getting more weird by the minute!

Thanks.

Chris.

Gene

Do you understand that all commands such as control NVDA key s and Control NVDA key v are used without going into the menus?  You can get to the same settings in the menus but such commands are shortcuts that bypass the menus.  You can use them anywhere.  You aren't in NVDA when you use them.  You could be on the desktop, in a program, almost anywhere.

In the menus, you would get to such settings by opening the menus, then down arrowing to preferences and pressing enter.  Then down arrow to either synthesizer and press enter or voice settings and press enter.  It sounds as though you would save yourself a lot of time and trouble by working with a good NVDA tutorial such as the one I sent a link to a number of days ago.

I have had those experiences many times! LOL! I just mark it up as a beautiful freeky thing. I could tell you things like that all day LOL!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

That's wild! I don't know what made the insert key work correctly but I'm
glad it's fine now.

Rosemarie

I woke up this morning, started up nvda, and all of a sudden, my insert key
on the numpad started working correctly. Would you believe it.

I wonder what in the world caused it to all of a sudden start working?

Does anyone happen to know?

This is just getting more weird by the minute!

Thanks.

Chris.

Gene

Also, the default for NVDA is to save settings on exit.  If you are going to experiment, this is a bad setting.  It means that you might save settings you have no intention of making permanent.  This setting should be disabled.  Open the NVDA menu, down arrow to preferences and press enter.  You are in a dialog.  Tab to save settings on exit.  It's a check box.  Uncheck it by pressing the space bar.  Tab to and activate the ok button.
Now save the setting to make it permanent.  Issue the command control NVDA key c and you should hear configuration saved.  I never have NVDA save anything automatically.  I want to control exactly when things are saved.  In my strong opinion, save settings on exit should not be enabled by default.  It does a real disservice to new users who may want to try different settings with no intention of making them permanent.  A perfect example of too much automation.

Do you know how to find information in the manual? It's one long web page.  Here is what the manual says in it's first sentence or two about input composition settings:
The Input Composition Settings dialog can be found under the Preferences menu. This dialog allows you to control how NVDA reports the input of Asian characters, such as with IME or Text Service

Clearly, something you might be curious to know what it is, but nothing it would make any sense to play with other than look at unless you use Asian characters.

From: Rosemarie Chavarria

That's wild! I don't know what made the insert key work correctly but I'm glad it's fine now.

Rosemarie

I woke up this morning, started up nvda, and all of a sudden, my insert key on the numpad started working correctly. Would you believe it.

I wonder what in the world caused it to all of a sudden start working?

Does anyone happen to know?

This is just getting more weird by the minute!

Thanks.

Chris.

anthony borg

Hi gene

Many thanks for your very interesting info you have sent me, as I told you before I am a beginner with NVDA,

What I tried to do was to find out a way of how TO stop NVDA to read the punctuations and symbols in evry sentence.

You have understood quite well what I have done, and I’m going to take your advice to save NVDA,

Thanks once again for the instructions you have sent me which are very useful.

Kindest regards

Anthony

From: Rosemarie Chavarria

That's wild! I don't know what made the insert key work correctly but I'm glad it's fine now.

Rosemarie

I woke up this morning, started up nvda, and all of a sudden, my insert key on the numpad started working correctly. Would you believe it.

I wonder what in the world caused it to all of a sudden start working?

Does anyone happen to know?

This is just getting more weird by the minute!

Thanks.

Chris.

anthony borg

Hi gene

I tried to use those shortcuts control nvda s, and control nvda v, but they didn’t work.

Then somebody else sent me another form, for synthesizers I have to press control nvda s, for voices I should use control nvda v, and they worked that way.

Kindest regards

Anthony

[...]

You gave exactly the same commands when you said they didn't work and that they did work.

[...]

According to the tutorial the shortcut to access synthesizers is control NVDA s, and when someone else told me to press NVDA control s, it worked, and the same with the voices.

I’m so sorry if I wasn’t very clear in my previous email.

But I must admit that you were, and still are of a great help for me and support with the info you have sent me.

If I may asking you again, is there a way of how to turn off something for a shorttime in NVDA to stop reading such as comas, dots and many others, when I’m listening to a tutorial?

Because they don’t lent me concentrate enough.

Many thanks once again for your help and sorry for the trouble I’m giving you.

Kindest regards

Anthony

You gave exactly the same commands when you said they didn't work and that they did work.

[...]

control NVDA key v.  Then tab to the punctuation settings and set them to none.  Then tab to and activate the ok button.  Once you want to return the punctuation settings to what they were before, either do the same thing again and change them back or use the command control NVDA r.  When you do this, you will hear, configuration applied and the settings from your permanently saved settings will again be used.

What I said earlier is that you said that control NVDA s and control NVDA key v didn't work.  You then said that someone told you to use the same commands and they work.  I don't know what you meant to say.  I mentioned it in a previous message because I couldn't tell if you understood what commands to use since you wrote the same commands when you said they didn't work and that they did.

[...]

Quentin Christensen

NVDA+P will let you change the punctuation level on the fly (without needing to go into the voice settings.  The procedure that Gene offered certainly works too.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Chris Mullins

Hi Anthony

It does not matter if the command is written Control NVDA s or NVDA Control s because it is exactly the same command.  You should be pressing and holding down the NVDA and control keys and whilst doing so, press the s key.  You may also see the command written as NVDA+Control+s, which better illustrates the command is a combination of the 3 keys.  Because the NVDA and Control keys are modifier keys, you can hold them down then press s rather than trying to press all 3 simultaneously.  Modifier keys send additional information from the keyboard to the computer when combined with a standard key, in this case the letter s.  NVDA is running on the computer, identifies that the keypress code you have typed contains the NVDA modifier key code so knows it needs to be processed by the NVDA program

As for the punctuation that is spoken, it depends on how you are reading the tutorial.  If you are arrowing character by character, it will read all punctuation.  If you open the NVDA voice dialog by pressing NVDA+Control+v, tab to the Punctuation symbol level combo box, set it to none and press enter.  This will eliminate the voicing of punctuation when reading line by line using the down arrow and using the ‘Say All’ command (NVDA+Down Arrow).

HTH

Chris.

[...]

Hi chris

First of all many thanks for the instructions of how to turn off the punctuation, secondly withregards theother thing, if I press control, NVDA s, it has a different meaning,

That is to change the synthesizer to 3 modes, talk, beap and silence, if I’m not wrong, because I have tried it several times.

As I said before I’m still learning and not to judging others, I’m  simply explaining what I have noticed.

Thank you once again for your support.