libre office enhancements addon?

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

hi

I know that microsoft word and NVDA or I should say microsoft office apps and NVDA work good together. you can read charts and graphs in excel, you can use browse mode, read comments, and much more. But it seems like libreoffice is lagging behind as far as libreoffice enhanced features. So that folks don't have to pay for microsoft office if they don't want to. if libreoffice does not read charts with NVDA, does not have browse mode ability, reading comments, basically it would be nice if the feature set that we see and have in microsoft office for NVDA should also transfer over and be available in the free libreoffice as well. If someone could make an addon which will bring all the nice ms-office enhancements into libreoffice for NVDA this would be useful for me and others who cannot afford ms-office.

thanks

Josh

Walmir Schultz <wsautodidata@...>

Hi!

I totally agree!

In every new NVDA version, we see many enhancements related to MS Office, but LibreOffice is ignored.

In fact, as I noted in many messages in this group, LibreOffice and NVDA have some very annoying issues when working together.

Very sad.

Walmir.

Em 14/06/2017 16:30, Josh Kennedy escreveu:

[...]

Gene

We don't know how much this is because of lack of proper accessibility in LibreOffice.  Programs may pose very difficult access issues with screen-readers if the designers don't built in proper access in the first place.  In addition, given limited resources and workers, it may be thought to be more important to emphasize access with Word, which is used generally in work and academic settings.

I'll let the developers comment further, I don’t' want to and can't speak for them.  I have no objection to such questions being discussed.  But there may be very good reasons why Word substitute programs aren't given attention and I maintain that asking rather than more or less stating that such programs are being neglected is a conclusion that is an unsupported assumption.

Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] libre office enhancements addon?

Hi!

I totally agree!

In every new NVDA version, we see many enhancements related to MS
Office, but LibreOffice is ignored.

In fact, as I noted in many messages in this group, LibreOffice and NVDA
have some very annoying issues when working together.

Very sad.

Walmir.

Em 14/06/2017 16:30, Josh Kennedy escreveu:
> hi
>
> I know that microsoft word and NVDA or I should say microsoft office
> apps and NVDA work good together. you can read charts and graphs in
> excel, you can use browse mode, read comments, and much more. But it
> seems like libreoffice is lagging behind as far as libreoffice
> enhanced features. So that folks don't have to pay for microsoft
> office if they don't want to. if libreoffice does not read charts with
> NVDA, does not have browse mode ability, reading comments, basically
> it would be nice if the feature set that we see and have in microsoft
> office for NVDA should also transfer over and be available in the free
> libreoffice as well. If someone could make an addon which will bring
> all the nice ms-office enhancements into libreoffice for NVDA this
> would be useful for me and others who cannot afford ms-office.
>
> thanks
>

> Josh

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

There certainly are numerous reasons why some programs may get more attention than others.

First and foremost, with a very limited development team, we just can't get to everything, therefore we do need to try to prioritise what we can work on to try and have the greatest impact and benefit for users.

Sometimes yes, that does mean working on fixing issues in a more popular program than a less well known alternative.

Sometimes it is because we have tried to approach the developers of a program to work together on fixing accessibility issues, and they just aren't interested. Often issues may require work both from NV Access, and from the program developer, in order to implement a solution, so we do need some cooperation.

Sometimes we may receive funding from a particular company to identify and work on issues in their compatibility with NVDA.

In the case of Microsoft office as well, having been working on the Microsoft word and excel with NVDA training modules, that uncovered a lot of issues, both in office and in NVDA.

At the end of the day, do please continue to file issues in GitHub for compatibility with software you use, also feel free to comment on issues if you have more information.  The more interest shown in a software program, and the clearer the bug reports, the easier it is for us to make it a higher priority.

Kind regards

Quentin

Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:41 AM

Hi!

I totally agree!

In every new NVDA version, we see many enhancements related to MS
Office, but LibreOffice is ignored.

In fact, as I noted in many messages in this group, LibreOffice and NVDA
have some very annoying issues when working together.

Very sad.

Walmir.

Em 14/06/2017 16:30, Josh Kennedy escreveu:
> hi
>
> I know that microsoft word and NVDA or I should say microsoft office
> apps and NVDA work good together. you can read charts and graphs in
> excel, you can use browse mode, read comments, and much more. But it
> seems like libreoffice is lagging behind as far as libreoffice
> enhanced features. So that folks don't have to pay for microsoft
> office if they don't want to. if libreoffice does not read charts with
> NVDA, does not have browse mode ability, reading comments, basically
> it would be nice if the feature set that we see and have in microsoft
> office for NVDA should also transfer over and be available in the free
> libreoffice as well. If someone could make an addon which will bring
> all the nice ms-office enhancements into libreoffice for NVDA this
> would be useful for me and others who cannot afford ms-office.
>
> thanks
>

> Josh

Walmir Schultz <wsautodidata@...>

As the issues between LibreOffice and NVDA  are counted only in the hands, so few they are, I think that LibreOffice has sufficiently good accessibility built in.

For this same reason, the number of workers or hours to solve the problems may not be so great.
The problem here seems to be a lack of communication between the developers of both software.
The fact of Word being use in academic settings, at least here in Brazil, is not the case. My graduation course had a discipline to teach LibreOffice and it was the suite used by the Federal University -- all of them use it.
As I see one release after another of NVDA simply not given LibreOffice the attention it certainly deserves, the only logical conclusion is that it is being neglected. I am sorry.

Walmir.

Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:41 AM

Hi!

I totally agree!

In every new NVDA version, we see many enhancements related to MS
Office, but LibreOffice is ignored.

In fact, as I noted in many messages in this group, LibreOffice and NVDA
have some very annoying issues when working together.

Very sad.

Walmir.

Em 14/06/2017 16:30, Josh Kennedy escreveu:
> hi
>
> I know that microsoft word and NVDA or I should say microsoft office
> apps and NVDA work good together. you can read charts and graphs in
> excel, you can use browse mode, read comments, and much more. But it
> seems like libreoffice is lagging behind as far as libreoffice
> enhanced features. So that folks don't have to pay for microsoft
> office if they don't want to. if libreoffice does not read charts with
> NVDA, does not have browse mode ability, reading comments, basically
> it would be nice if the feature set that we see and have in microsoft
> office for NVDA should also transfer over and be available in the free
> libreoffice as well. If someone could make an addon which will bring
> all the nice ms-office enhancements into libreoffice for NVDA this
> would be useful for me and others who cannot afford ms-office.
>
> thanks
>

> Josh

Walmir Schultz <wsautodidata@...>

Hi, Quentin,

I understand all the reasons you listed.

But can you be more specific in what is happening with LibreOffice? Why the issues are not being addressed?

So, In relation to LibreOffice specifically:

1 - The limited developers team is one reason?

2 - LibreOffice is not a priority?

3 - The LibreOffice team is not interested in working together with NVDA DEVELOPERS to fix the issues?

4 - Do Microsoft funding influences?

Knowing the reasons is the only way we can ask for solutions on both developers.

Excuse me, but GitHub, to me, is a mess. I prefer to use this group to talk about the issues, as I know the NVDA developers will see them.

Kind regards,

Walmir.

Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:41 AM

Hi!

I totally agree!

In every new NVDA version, we see many enhancements related to MS
Office, but LibreOffice is ignored.

In fact, as I noted in many messages in this group, LibreOffice and NVDA
have some very annoying issues when working together.

Very sad.

Walmir.

Em 14/06/2017 16:30, Josh Kennedy escreveu:
> hi
>
> I know that microsoft word and NVDA or I should say microsoft office
> apps and NVDA work good together. you can read charts and graphs in
> excel, you can use browse mode, read comments, and much more. But it
> seems like libreoffice is lagging behind as far as libreoffice
> enhanced features. So that folks don't have to pay for microsoft
> office if they don't want to. if libreoffice does not read charts with
> NVDA, does not have browse mode ability, reading comments, basically
> it would be nice if the feature set that we see and have in microsoft
> office for NVDA should also transfer over and be available in the free
> libreoffice as well. If someone could make an addon which will bring
> all the nice ms-office enhancements into libreoffice for NVDA this
> would be useful for me and others who cannot afford ms-office.
>
> thanks
>

> Josh

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Its not but until the developers add the needed accessibile apis to common features it will always have issues.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

What specific issues?

Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:41 AM

Hi!

I totally agree!

In every new NVDA version, we see many enhancements related to MS
Office, but LibreOffice is ignored.

In fact, as I noted in many messages in this group, LibreOffice and NVDA
have some very annoying issues when working together.

Very sad.

Walmir.

Em 14/06/2017 16:30, Josh Kennedy escreveu:
> hi
>
> I know that microsoft word and NVDA or I should say microsoft office
> apps and NVDA work good together. you can read charts and graphs in
> excel, you can use browse mode, read comments, and much more. But it
> seems like libreoffice is lagging behind as far as libreoffice
> enhanced features. So that folks don't have to pay for microsoft
> office if they don't want to. if libreoffice does not read charts with
> NVDA, does not have browse mode ability, reading comments, basically
> it would be nice if the feature set that we see and have in microsoft
> office for NVDA should also transfer over and be available in the free
> libreoffice as well. If someone could make an addon which will bring
> all the nice ms-office enhancements into libreoffice for NVDA this
> would be useful for me and others who cannot afford ms-office.
>
> thanks
>

> Josh

hi walmir.
i completely understand you and agree with you.
both for me that my language is farsi, the situation is worse.
my problem is libreoffice does not consider diacritics as a letter and
not count them.
i cant search one diacritic, find and replace it.

What specific issues?

In every new NVDA version, we see many enhancements related to MS
Office, but LibreOffice is ignored.

In fact, as I noted in many messages in this group, LibreOffice and NVDA

have some very annoying issues when working together.

Very sad.

Walmir.

Em 14/06/2017 16:30, Josh Kennedy escreveu:
> hi
>
> I know that microsoft word and NVDA or I should say microsoft office
> apps and NVDA work good together. you can read charts and graphs in
> excel, you can use browse mode, read comments, and much more. But it
> seems like libreoffice is lagging behind as far as libreoffice
> enhanced features. So that folks don't have to pay for microsoft
> office if they don't want to. if libreoffice does not read charts with

> NVDA, does not have browse mode ability, reading comments, basically
> it would be nice if the feature set that we see and have in microsoft

> office for NVDA should also transfer over and be available in the free

> libreoffice as well. If someone could make an addon which will bring
> all the nice ms-office enhancements into libreoffice for NVDA this
> would be useful for me and others who cannot afford ms-office.
>
> thanks
>

> Josh

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

hi quentin.
thanks so much that answer us and help us as always.
but may i ask a question in this regard?
for example: if we want support sayAll reading using libreoffice and
nvda, which program needs change? libreoffice or nvda should change to
support sayAll?
without sayAll, its very difficult to specially read hundreds of pages
in a book.
God bless you.

On 6/17/17, zahra a <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com> wrote:
hi walmir.
i completely understand you and agree with you.
both for me that my language is farsi, the situation is worse.
my problem is libreoffice does not consider diacritics as a letter and
not count them.
i cant search one diacritic, find and replace it.

What specific issues?

In every new NVDA version, we see many enhancements related to MS
Office, but LibreOffice is ignored.

In fact, as I noted in many messages in this group, LibreOffice and
NVDA

have some very annoying issues when working together.

Very sad.

Walmir.

Em 14/06/2017 16:30, Josh Kennedy escreveu:
> hi
>
> I know that microsoft word and NVDA or I should say microsoft
office
> apps and NVDA work good together. you can read charts and graphs in
> excel, you can use browse mode, read comments, and much more. But
it
> seems like libreoffice is lagging behind as far as libreoffice
> enhanced features. So that folks don't have to pay for microsoft
> office if they don't want to. if libreoffice does not read charts
with

> NVDA, does not have browse mode ability, reading comments,
basically
> it would be nice if the feature set that we see and have in
microsoft

> office for NVDA should also transfer over and be available in the
free

> libreoffice as well. If someone could make an addon which will
bring
> all the nice ms-office enhancements into libreoffice for NVDA this
> would be useful for me and others who cannot afford ms-office.
>
> thanks
>

> Josh

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Walmir Schultz <wsautodidata@...>

Hi,

I posted various specific issues in this group.

I think it is not necessary to repeat them (and someone told me not do do so). Just search for messages with LibreOffice in the title.

Em 16/06/2017 13:31, Gene escreveu:

What specific issues?

Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:41 AM

Hi!

I totally agree!

In every new NVDA version, we see many enhancements related to MS
Office, but LibreOffice is ignored.

In fact, as I noted in many messages in this group, LibreOffice and NVDA
have some very annoying issues when working together.

Very sad.

Walmir.

Em 14/06/2017 16:30, Josh Kennedy escreveu:
> hi
>
> I know that microsoft word and NVDA or I should say microsoft office
> apps and NVDA work good together. you can read charts and graphs in
> excel, you can use browse mode, read comments, and much more. But it
> seems like libreoffice is lagging behind as far as libreoffice
> enhanced features. So that folks don't have to pay for microsoft
> office if they don't want to. if libreoffice does not read charts with
> NVDA, does not have browse mode ability, reading comments, basically
> it would be nice if the feature set that we see and have in microsoft
> office for NVDA should also transfer over and be available in the free
> libreoffice as well. If someone could make an addon which will bring
> all the nice ms-office enhancements into libreoffice for NVDA this
> would be useful for me and others who cannot afford ms-office.
>
> thanks
>

> Josh

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think maybe post them to the add ons list and maybe ask about them on an issue on the github site?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

In every new NVDA version, we see many enhancements related to MS
Office, but LibreOffice is ignored.

In fact, as I noted in many messages in this group, LibreOffice
and NVDA
have some very annoying issues when working together.

Very sad.

Walmir.

Em 14/06/2017 16:30, Josh Kennedy escreveu:
> hi
>
> I know that microsoft word and NVDA or I should say microsoft
office
> apps and NVDA work good together. you can read charts and
graphs in
> excel, you can use browse mode, read comments, and much more.
But it
> seems like libreoffice is lagging behind as far as libreoffice
> enhanced features. So that folks don't have to pay for microsoft
> office if they don't want to. if libreoffice does not read
charts with
> NVDA, does not have browse mode ability, reading comments,
basically
> it would be nice if the feature set that we see and have in
microsoft
> office for NVDA should also transfer over and be available in
the free
> libreoffice as well. If someone could make an addon which will
bring
> all the nice ms-office enhancements into libreoffice for NVDA this
> would be useful for me and others who cannot afford ms-office.
>
> thanks
>

> Josh

i wish that nvda supports libreoffice without addons and only by itself!
God bless you!