I have a favor to ask of the NVDA user community

OK, this is a little bit of a unique situation, but I'm sure I'm probably not the only person who's run into this predicament.

I have an HP laptop which more specifically is the HP 250G5.

Though this system is absolutely incredible, I love it, there is one thing, and really only! about one thing, that I do not like about it.

Unfortunately, this system has no physical application's key. Trust me. I've gone into keyboard help, and have practically hit everything under the sun! It's not even something where holding down FN along with another key will do it. I even have gone so far as to get ahold of HP, and they confirmed that the key doesn't exist on this model.

A few possibilities therefore are an external keyboard that has this key. Well, there went my portability.

The other would be to hit shift+F10 to open the context menu on the focused item. Normally 99.9 percent of the time, this would be OK, but, my keys F1 through F10 are not spaced apart tacticly, and I'm a very firm believer in not putting dots on my keys. To me, that just feels utterly disgusting, and I always shutter when working with students who's keys are that way. If it helps you, great! Do it, but for me, it makes it more confusing.

This leads me to my final sollution, which is why I'm writing you all today.

I'm aware of the program called Sharpkeys, but the issue with that is, it will only let you map a key to another single key. Well, I don't have another key on this machine that I could substitute that wouldn't feel very awquard.

I know what I'd like to use.

I'd like for Alt+Shift+Spacebar to press the applications key at the currently focused item. Basically Alt+Shift+Space to be the same as me hitting the application's key.

Can this be done in an addon, and if so, is this something that someone up here would be willing to put together for me?

I admittedly don't know programming that well, let alone specifically Python, so forgive me.

I know Joseph Lee would say, perhaps this should be sent to the NVDA addon list instead, but, I'd rather honestly not join that list for now, as I'm not an NVDA dev, nor really have any intention at this time of being so. I think the list would get overwhelming, and I already have enough e-mail as is.

Like I say, I can't imagine this would be too terribly hard to do compared to a lot of other addons.

Literally, all I need it to do is globally hit the application's key, not shift F10, let me be very very transparent on that fact. I have an app I use that certain places require the applications key, and Shift+F10 won't work in those areas. It *has* to be the apps key.

Wouldn't it just be a matter of coding an if/then statement routine that says something to the effect of:

IF keyinput=("alt+shift+space")
    THEN Presskey("applicationskey");

OK, I know that's not literally how the source would look, nor was I trying to make it such.

I was trying, more or less, to make the point of saying, I don't think this should be hard based on the little programming I know, which again, is more than enough to commit suicide on myself.

If it's not quite that easy, then just tell me to shut up. LOL! NO seriously, don't do that, LOL, but, you get my point.

Right now, I'm gonna be very straight up. This isn't something I could pay an addon creator to make, however, given what I'm guessing to be the symplisity of this, I'd not suspect it would be terribly hard to do. I'd not think it would take but maybe 10 or so minutes to write, if even that.

If we were talking JAWS, I could have this done in about 2 minutes or less with the script manager, but, alas, we're not so.

Again, to clarify, I'd want this done globally throughout the OS, so regardless the window, I'm in, it would work.

Windows 10 64 Bit Creator Edition Professional, if that matters.

NVDA 2017.2, again, if that matters. This is a full install, not a portable, and yes, I do have administrator access, and U A C is disabled entirely, in case the API's for this to work require it.

Chris.

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I seem to recall from somewhere that the applications key is the same as a right click, so you could try pressing the NVDA key for right click, and see if it brings up the same menu for you.  I've never bothered to test this assertion, so I could be wrong, and it's of course possible that some programs specifically look for the applications key (if that's possible), and so a right click wouldn't do the trick, but it's worth trying.

[...]

Rich De Steno <ironrock@...>

Press shift-F10 to simulate the applications key.  It is the left click, not the right click, that also simulates the applications key.

On 6/17/2017 3:19 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:

[...]

The left click selects the item under the mouse.  The right click brings up options on what to do with said item, so if the applications key were to simulate anything, it would have to be the right click.

Good to know the other keystroke that does the job though, thanks for that.

On 6/17/2017 3:27 PM, Rich De Steno wrote:

[...]

Just got my son to help test, the shift f10, right click, and applications key all bring up the same menu.

Hope that helps.

[...]

This won't work.

I'd have to be using either screen review, or object nav for this to work, and yes, you are correct on your assumption that some apps interpret the apps key different from a right click. It's rare, I'll grant you that, but it does happen.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 3:19 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] I have a favor to ask of the NVDA user community

[...]

OK, first of all, I'm thoroughly confused.

First, you say press shift+F10. But, then, you say it's the same as a left click.

I thought the apps key was similar in most cases to a right click, not a left click.

Secondly, I already said numerous times in my message that shift+F10 won't work in this context. I specifically need an applications key.

Further, I stated that I was completely aware of shift+F10, but that due to certain ways the keyboard is designed, this is a very awquard keystroke for me to perform, hince even more so why I want an addon like this.

Please reread my message, and I think it'll make more sense. Smile.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 3:27 PM

[...]

Yeah, I've known about shift+F10 for years upon years upon years, but again, in this case, it's not going to suffice.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 3:40 PM

[...]

I'm not familiar with all of the keys available with that model since
I didn't bother to look it up, but when I got my new keyboard I had
the same sort of issue. There was an FN key in the spot where the
applications key was. I used sharp keys to remap my scroll lock key
for the applications key. I've never in my many years, sighted and non
sighted, used that group of keys for anything, lol. I use to use print
screen, but that is it.

Melissa

On 6/17/17, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@gmail.com> wrote:
Travis,

This won't work.

I'd have to be using either screen review, or object nav for this to work,
and yes, you are correct on your assumption that some apps interpret the
apps key different from a right click. It's rare, I'll grant you that, but
it does happen.
---
Christopher Gilland

http://www.gshministry.org
(980) 500-9575
[...]

As I said, normally, that works 99% the time, but there are a few very, and I do mean very! very! rare cases where it doesn't so. Also, like I said, given the nature of this laptop's keyboard, shift+F10 is extremely awquard, at best, to do.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 3:44 PM

[...]

I suppose I could! technically remap scrollock or printscreen, but again, those keys are really awquard to get to on this thing.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 4:05 PM

On 6/17/17, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...> wrote:
> Travis,
>
> This won't work.
>
> I'd have to be using either screen review, or object nav for this to work,
> and yes, you are correct on your assumption that some apps interpret the
> apps key different from a right click. It's rare, I'll grant you that, but
> it does happen.
> ---
> Christopher Gilland
> Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
>
> http://www.gshministry.org
> (980) 500-9575

Everything is awkward when you first go to do it. It was weird at
first for me to have to reach up and to the right instead of hitting a
button right next to my spacebar, but I got used to it. It is all up
to how you chose to deal with it.

On 6/17/17, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@gmail.com> wrote:
I suppose I could! technically remap scrollock or printscreen, but again,
those keys are really awquard to get to on this thing.
---
Christopher Gilland

http://www.gshministry.org
(980) 500-9575
I'm not familiar with all of the keys available with that model since
I didn't bother to look it up, but when I got my new keyboard I had
the same sort of issue. There was an FN key in the spot where the
applications key was. I used sharp keys to remap my scroll lock key
for the applications key. I've never in my many years, sighted and non
sighted, used that group of keys for anything, lol. I use to use print
screen, but that is it.

Melissa

On 6/17/17, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@gmail.com> wrote:
> Travis,
>
> This won't work.
>
> I'd have to be using either screen review, or object nav for this to
work,
> and yes, you are correct on your assumption that some apps interpret
the
> apps key different from a right click. It's rare, I'll grant you that,
but
> it does happen.
> ---
> Christopher Gilland
> Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
>
> http://www.gshministry.org
> (980) 500-9575

That isn't entirely altogether true.

When you, like me, have physical motor and dexterity issues in your hands which prevent you from doing things effectively the way you have describe...

No offense by this intended, and I hope none taken, but please consider those like myself who may have other physical limitations which prevent them from doing certain things as you would. This isn't me, but what about those with cognative issues as well, who find reaching a key like that to be hard, if not impossible.

I mean this with the utmost of respect.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 4:43 PM

Everything is awkward when you first go to do it. It was weird at
first for me to have to reach up and to the right instead of hitting a
button right next to my spacebar, but I got used to it. It is all up
to how you chose to deal with it.

On 6/17/17, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...> wrote:
> I suppose I could! technically remap scrollock or printscreen, but again,
> those keys are really awquard to get to on this thing.
> ---
> Christopher Gilland
> Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
>
> http://www.gshministry.org
> (980) 500-9575

Jacob Kruger

This page speaks about how to use autoHotKey to remap the right alt key to be used as the context menu/applications context key:

https://superuser.com/questions/710601/how-to-map-right-alt-to-context-menu-key/710609

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 4:43 PM

Everything is awkward when you first go to do it. It was weird at
first for me to have to reach up and to the right instead of hitting a
button right next to my spacebar, but I got used to it. It is all up
to how you chose to deal with it.

On 6/17/17, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...> wrote:
> I suppose I could! technically remap scrollock or printscreen, but again,
> those keys are really awquard to get to on this thing.
> ---
> Christopher Gilland
> Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
>
> http://www.gshministry.org
> (980) 500-9575

Yeah, but, that's not a good sollution, as then I have to cram my hands together if I need alt with a key that is on the left side of the keyboard, like Alt+F for file.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 4:43 PM

Everything is awkward when you first go to do it. It was weird at
first for me to have to reach up and to the right instead of hitting a
button right next to my spacebar, but I got used to it. It is all up
to how you chose to deal with it.

On 6/17/17, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...> wrote:
> I suppose I could! technically remap scrollock or printscreen, but again,
> those keys are really awquard to get to on this thing.
> ---
> Christopher Gilland
> Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
>
> http://www.gshministry.org
> (980) 500-9575

Gene

Since the f10 key isn't generally used, and since we are only talking about one key, it really doesn't seem reasonable to ask someone to go through all the work you are asking for to avoid a small annoyance.  If you don't want to use shift f10, route the virtual mouse to the item and right click it with the virtual mouse.

Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 2:08 PM

[...]

It will bring up the same menu but you must route the virtual mouse before right clicking it.

Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 2:19 PM

[...]

Interestingly enough, it is possible to trap both the windows key and the applications key in programs, (I just tried it). However, I haven't a clue how to make a program into a service so that it can trap a key, then turn it into the applications key so it can pass it on to windows. I'll do some digging, and see if I can figure it out. It can't be all that difficult, I'd wager it's as easy as making some windows call to do the passing. I don't know if it's possible to stuff the keyboard buffer with those keys though, I haven't tried that, it might be an easier way to do things, , but then again, if a program is running as a service, I don't know if it has access to the keyboard or not, so more research for me to do. But, initial testing proves it can be done, so either someone has already done it, or it can't be that hard to figure out. :)

On 6/17/2017 4:43 PM, Melissa Jean wrote:
Everything is awkward when you first go to do it. It was weird at
first for me to have to reach up and to the right instead of hitting a
button right next to my spacebar, but I got used to it. It is all up
to how you chose to deal with it.

On 6/17/17, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@gmail.com> wrote:
I suppose I could! technically remap scrollock or printscreen, but again,
those keys are really awquard to get to on this thing.
---
Christopher Gilland

http://www.gshministry.org
(980) 500-9575
I'm not familiar with all of the keys available with that model since
I didn't bother to look it up, but when I got my new keyboard I had
the same sort of issue. There was an FN key in the spot where the
applications key was. I used sharp keys to remap my scroll lock key
for the applications key. I've never in my many years, sighted and non
sighted, used that group of keys for anything, lol. I use to use print
screen, but that is it.

Melissa

On 6/17/17, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@gmail.com> wrote:
> Travis,
>
> This won't work.
>
> I'd have to be using either screen review, or object nav for this to
work,
> and yes, you are correct on your assumption that some apps interpret
the
> apps key different from a right click. It's rare, I'll grant you that,
but
> it does happen.
> ---
> Christopher Gilland
> Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
>
> http://www.gshministry.org
> (980) 500-9575

Jacob Kruger

It was just meant as an example that you could probably map almost any key to replace the context menu key - that page happens to mention working with right alt key, but anyway...

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 4:43 PM

Everything is awkward when you first go to do it. It was weird at
first for me to have to reach up and to the right instead of hitting a
button right next to my spacebar, but I got used to it. It is all up
to how you chose to deal with it.

On 6/17/17, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...> wrote:
> I suppose I could! technically remap scrollock or printscreen, but again,
> those keys are really awquard to get to on this thing.
> ---
> Christopher Gilland
> Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
>
> http://www.gshministry.org
> (980) 500-9575

Gene

That is definitely not correct.  left click is simulated with enter.  Every time you press enter on something like an icon or a link or something else, you are performing a left click.

right click is the same as the context menu key.