A question about non destructive errors

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

As quite a lot of us do use snapshot builds we do hear errors from time to time. one of the most annoying ones I see in windows 7 is when some of the search fields are used. There can be multiple errors as one types in and even when the edit area is opened, yet to all intents and purposes it seems like the control itself has worked.
Here is a log to demonstrate what I mean.

IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (14:18:51.645):
Input: kb(desktop):shift+tab
IO - speech.speak (14:18:51.730):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Search Box edit Search Windows (C:)']
DEBUG - NVDAObjects.UIA.UIATextInfo._getTextWithFieldsForUIARange (14:18:51.732):
_getTextWithFieldsForUIARange
DEBUG - NVDAObjects.UIA.UIATextInfo._getTextWithFieldsForUIARange (14:18:51.733):
rootElement: edit
ERROR - eventHandler.executeEvent (14:18:51.733):
error executing event: gainFocus on <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_EditableTextWithoutAutoSelectDetectionUIA object at 0x05C24D90> with extra args of {}
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 143, in executeEvent
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 91, in __init__
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 98, in next
File "C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\easyTableNavigator\globalPlugins\easyTableNavigator.py", line 82, in event_gainFocus
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 98, in next
File "C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\focusHighlight\globalPlugins\focusHighlight.py", line 427, in event_gainFocus
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 98, in next
File "appModules\explorer.pyc", line 280, in event_gainFocus
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 98, in next
File "NVDAObjects\__init__.pyc", line 907, in event_gainFocus
File "NVDAObjects\__init__.pyc", line 819, in reportFocus
File "speech.pyc", line 367, in speakObject
File "speech.pyc", line 689, in speakTextInfo
File "NVDAObjects\UIA\__init__.pyc", line 584, in getTextWithFields
File "NVDAObjects\UIA\__init__.pyc", line 444, in _getTextWithFieldsForUIARange
COMError: (-2147221008, 'CoInitialize has not been called.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
ERROR - eventHandler.executeEvent (14:18:51.740):
error executing event: caret on <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_EditableTextWithoutAutoSelectDetectionUIA object at 0x05C24D90> with extra args of {}
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 143, in executeEvent
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 91, in __init__
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 98, in next
File "NVDAObjects\__init__.pyc", line 940, in event_caret
File "review.pyc", line 167, in handleCaretMove
File "NVDAObjects\__init__.pyc", line 973, in makeTextInfo
File "NVDAObjects\UIA\__init__.pyc", line 244, in __init__
COMError: (-2147221008, 'CoInitialize has not been called.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
ERROR - eventHandler.executeEvent (14:18:51.752):
error executing event: caret on <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_EditableTextWithoutAutoSelectDetectionUIA object at 0x05C24D90> with extra args of {}
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 143, in executeEvent
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 91, in __init__
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 98, in next
File "NVDAObjects\__init__.pyc", line 940, in event_caret
File "review.pyc", line 167, in handleCaretMove
File "NVDAObjects\__init__.pyc", line 973, in makeTextInfo
File "NVDAObjects\UIA\__init__.pyc", line 244, in __init__
COMError: (-2147221008, 'CoInitialize has not been called.', (None, None, None, 0, None))

This is in the master branch and has been around for quite some time now but of course one does not hear it on the final builds.
Also quit why it refers to two add-ons which would seem to have nothing to do with it is a mystery as well.
Just wondered why this c_inisialise or whatever is not called and why it seems that some edit areas work while others do not.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Quentin Christensen

Hi Brian,

Without being specifically familiar with this particular code, a couple of points off the top of my head:

- Often different programs (and sometimes even the same program) will have controls which may look and behaves exactly the same to the end user, but underneath they work differently.  This can be why some controls throw up errors when others do not.
- Partly for the same reason, if we try and find out information a certain way and it fails, there may be another (backup, if you like) way that we can try which may get the same information.  In that case, the control may throw up an error, but appear to work as normal.
- My lack of familiarity with the code will show here, but the error about CoInitialize not being called is likely because it would be usual to initialize that prior to making a certain request.  For whatever reason that wasn't done, which may in some situations mean that the value returned by that request may be unexpected.  Whether that's a problem or not I'd need Mick or Jamie to answer, but all that might give you a bit of an idea to start with.  Again, that's all just general off the top of my head and without being specifically familiar with the code.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:28 PM, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
[...]

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Hmm, I'm sure they know about this error condition, but I'm always a little sceptical when I see errors that in the end it might be a problem that could cause issues if you don't trap it somehow.

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

{}
[...]

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Oh it's definitely worth raising any situations that cause an error.  Errors which also have a negative effect for the end-user will be given a higher priority to fix obviously, especially since error tones aren't generated for the stable releases.

Regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 5:17 PM, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
Hmm, I'm sure they know about this error condition, but I'm always a little sceptical  when I see errors that in the end it might be a problem that could cause issues if you don't trap it somehow.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Sam Bushman

I get the following errors:

ERROR - scriptHandler.executeScript (13:30:32.572):

error executing script: <bound method MSHTML.script_moveByLine_forward of <virtualBuffers.MSHTML.MSHTML object at 0x04EA1270>> with gesture u'down arrow'

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "scriptHandler.pyc", line 187, in executeScript

  File "cursorManager.pyc", line 209, in script_moveByLine_forward

  File "cursorManager.pyc", line 139, in _caretMovementScriptHelper

  File "browseMode.pyc", line 1150, in _set_selection

  File "browseMode.pyc", line 1165, in _shouldSetFocusToObj

  File "baseObject.pyc", line 34, in __get__

  File "baseObject.pyc", line 110, in _getPropertyViaCache

  File "NVDAObjects\IAccessible\MSHTML.pyc", line 925, in _get_isFocusable

  File "comtypes\client\lazybind.pyc", line 207, in __call__

  File "comtypes\automation.pyc", line 664, in _invoke

COMError: (-2147352319, None, (None, None, None, 0, None))

ERROR - RPC process 4468 (nvda_slave.exe) (13:44:26.766):

__main__.main:

slave error

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "nvda_slave.pyw", line 90, in main

  File "comHelper.pyc", line 22, in _lresultFromGetActiveObject

  File "comtypes\client\__init__.pyc", line 180, in GetActiveObject

  File "comtypes\__init__.pyc", line 1165, in GetActiveObject

  File "_ctypes/callproc.c", line 950, in GetResult

WindowsError: [Error -2147221021] Operation unavailable

ERROR - scriptHandler.executeScript (13:45:32.332):

error executing script: <bound method MSHTML.script_moveByLine_forward of <virtualBuffers.MSHTML.MSHTML object at 0x0507CF50>> with gesture u'down arrow'

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "scriptHandler.pyc", line 187, in executeScript

  File "cursorManager.pyc", line 209, in script_moveByLine_forward

  File "cursorManager.pyc", line 139, in _caretMovementScriptHelper

  File "browseMode.pyc", line 1150, in _set_selection

  File "browseMode.pyc", line 1165, in _shouldSetFocusToObj

  File "baseObject.pyc", line 34, in __get__

  File "baseObject.pyc", line 110, in _getPropertyViaCache

  File "NVDAObjects\IAccessible\MSHTML.pyc", line 925, in _get_isFocusable

  File "comtypes\client\lazybind.pyc", line 207, in __call__

  File "comtypes\automation.pyc", line 664, in _invoke

COMError: (-2147352319, None, (None, None, None, 0, None))

ERROR - scriptHandler.executeScript (14:02:51.563):

error executing script: <bound method MSHTML.script_moveByLine_forward of <virtualBuffers.MSHTML.MSHTML object at 0x0513E7F0>> with gesture u'down arrow'

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "scriptHandler.pyc", line 187, in executeScript

  File "cursorManager.pyc", line 209, in script_moveByLine_forward

  File "cursorManager.pyc", line 139, in _caretMovementScriptHelper

  File "browseMode.pyc", line 1150, in _set_selection

  File "browseMode.pyc", line 1165, in _shouldSetFocusToObj

  File "baseObject.pyc", line 34, in __get__

  File "baseObject.pyc", line 110, in _getPropertyViaCache

  File "NVDAObjects\IAccessible\MSHTML.pyc", line 925, in _get_isFocusable

  File "comtypes\client\lazybind.pyc", line 207, in __call__

  File "comtypes\automation.pyc", line 664, in _invoke

Any Way I can help resolve?

Thanks,

Sam

bglists@...> wrote:

[...]

What were you doing when you pressed down arrow (It looks like pressing down arrow has triggered it)?

bglists@...> wrote:

[...]

I am in ms office outlook 2016.

I get a two tone error when this happens.

Can’t ready the emails either.

Thanks,

Sam

bglists@...> wrote:

[...]

We've got a few issues for Outlook: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue%20is%3Aopen%20outlook%202016

I'll have a look through and see if I can find anything similar, but feel free to also look and / or add a new issue in the meantime.

Regards

Quentin.

bglists@...> wrote:

[...]

If someone could please add this issue – it gets the error when you launch outlook. Joseph is caught up on this issue as well.

Thanks,

Sam

bglists@...> wrote:

[...]

I did try to see if it was a known about error a couple of days ago on github, but this has to be the most unfriendly site in history as I lost myself and in the end had no idea what was going on. I strongly suspect this is what a web site written by software engineers looks like. grin.

quentin@nvaccess.org>
[...]

Be interesting to know exactly what was expected, and of that stuff.

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 9:25 AM, Sam Bushman <libertyroundtable@gmail.com>
wrote:

[...]

COMError: (-2147352319 <(214)%20735-2319>, None, (None, None, None, 0,
None))

ERROR - RPC process 4468 (nvda_slave.exe) (13:44:26.766):

__main__.main:

slave error

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "nvda_slave.pyw", line 90, in main

File "comHelper.pyc", line 22, in _lresultFromGetActiveObject

File "comtypes\client\__init__.pyc", line 180, in GetActiveObject

File "comtypes\__init__.pyc", line 1165, in GetActiveObject

File "_ctypes/callproc.c", line 950, in GetResult

WindowsError: [Error -2147221021 <(214)%20722-1021>] Operation unavailable