Copying and Retaining Formatting

kelby carlson

All,

Is there a way to copy text from a webpage into a Word document while
retaining the formatting/fontheadings of the text intact? When I copy
and paste normally this does not happen, and it was a feature in JAWS.

hi.
i dont have microsoft word to tell you exactly.
but in libreoffice we can use peist special in the edit menu.
Hope that help you and God bless you!

On 6/19/17, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
All,

Is there a way to copy text from a webpage into a Word document while
retaining the formatting/fontheadings of the text intact? When I copy
and paste normally this does not happen, and it was a feature in JAWS.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Gene

There is no feature in NVDA to do this.  You can try unloading NVDA, copying the entire web page using control a, pasting it into Word, then editing it to leave only the content you want.  I don't know if that will preserve formatting but you won't have NVDA stripping it out when you copy it from the MSAA buffer or whatever it's called these days.  there won't be any buffer when NVDA isn't running..

Sent: Monday, June 19, 2017 11:25 AM
Subject: [nvda] Copying and Retaining Formatting

All,

Is there a way to copy text from a webpage into a Word document while
retaining the formatting/fontheadings of the text intact? When I copy
and paste normally this does not happen, and it was a feature in JAWS.

Tony Ballou

Hi,

I don't believe so, and if there is, I would sure like to know it
myself. I remember jaws having such a feature when I was using it back
in the day.

Tony

On 6/19/2017 12:25 PM, kelby carlson wrote:
All,

Is there a way to copy text from a webpage into a Word document while
retaining the formatting/fontheadings of the text intact? When I copy
and paste normally this does not happen, and it was a feature in JAWS.

Chris Mullins

I would think this would be a feature of Word rather than the screen reader. Have you done a Google search on retaining source formatting when pasting into Word or checked out the advanced section of the Word options? I only have Word 2007 and don't know if later versions have changed but if I press alt f and select 'Word Options' from the menu, select 'Advanced' from the list box, there is something about pasting options in there.

Cheers
Chris

I don't believe so, and if there is, I would sure like to know it myself. I remember jaws having such a feature when I was using it back in the day.

Tony
On 6/19/2017 12:25 PM, kelby carlson wrote:
All,

Is there a way to copy text from a webpage into a Word document while
retaining the formatting/fontheadings of the text intact? When I copy
and paste normally this does not happen, and it was a feature in JAWS.

kelby carlson

Word's default option is to keep source formatting but I can confirm
it doesn't do that.

On 6/21/17, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

This is a feature of Word and has been for ages.  You can also configure Word to do pastes using the paste default you want.

When you paste into word you should always be getting a paste control button when the paste completes.  It will use your default paste format (see the results of this DuckDuckGo search for the various tutorials for the various versions of Word with regard to setting up your default paste option), but if you activate the paste control button once complete it will allow you to choose a paste style (and to keep everything is that would be "Keep Source Formatting") and will alter what's just been pasted to use the paste style you just chose.  You must do this at the time you paste, though, as once you move along and do a bunch of other things that option is no longer available.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

            Niels Bohr

kelby carlson

When I copy something from the Internet with complex formatting into
Word and I look at the paste control button as you described, there is
no option to keep default formatting.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ms+word+set+default+paste+option&t=hz&atb=v33-7__&ia=web
) for the various tutorials for the various versions of Word with regard to
setting up your default paste option), but if you activate the paste control
button once complete it will allow you to choose a paste style (and to keep
everything is that would be "Keep Source Formatting") and will alter what's
just been pasted to use the paste style you just chose.  You must do this at
the time you paste, though, as once you move along and do a bunch of other
things that option is no longer available.
--
Brian  - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

*     * *The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.* *  But
the opposite of a profound truth may well be another* * profound truth.*

*           ~ * *Niels Bohr*

That should have been "keep everything as is" in that last message, which uses the "Keep Source Formatting".

I also just realized that the paste control is able to be activated via keyboard shortcuts provided you do it the moment after you've done the CTRL+V to actually paste.  To use it hit CTRL followed by one of the following (at least in Word 2010, and I believe earlier, but I know later up through at least Word 2013):
  1. T, if you wish to keep the text only and have that text match your document's format
  2. M, if you wish to merge formatting, which in the case of web text makes the text have the font and size of your document
  3. K, if you wish to keep source formatting, which retains all the qualities - font, size, etc. - that comes from the source material.

--

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 08:23 am, kelby carlson wrote:
there is no option to keep default formatting.
The phrasing is "Keep Source Formatting" and if your version of Word doesn't support that then there is nothing I can suggest.  It's been around for a very long time now.  I think from all the way back at Word 2003, but maybe as late as Word 2007.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

            Niels Bohr

kelby carlson

There is the option in the Advance settings, but the option does not
exist in the paste button's menu after I have pasted something into
the document.

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 08:23 am, kelby carlson wrote:

there is no option to keep default formatting.
The phrasing is "Keep Source Formatting" and if your version of Word doesn't
support that then there is nothing I can suggest.  It's been around for a
very long time now.  I think from all the way back at Word 2003, but maybe
as late as Word 2007.

--
Brian  - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

*     * *The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.* *  But
the opposite of a profound truth may well be another* * profound truth.*

*           ~ * *Niels Bohr*

kelby carlson

Also, control-k immediately after pressing control-v to paste asks me
to insert a hyperlink.

On 6/21/17, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

 You'll notice I did not say "CTRL+K" because that will ask you to insert a hyperlink.

I just tried this whole process with NVDA on.   After I hit CTRL+V to paste from a webpage, in this instance, if I hit CTRL, NVDA announces, Paste Options, Grouping, Keep Text Only checked T".   I long ago set Keep Text Only as my generally preferred default paste option.   If I then hit K the text is "converted" back to its original source formatting rather than having my usual "keep text only" option applied.

Just for future reference, if you're ever reading instructions I'm giving, if I say Key X followed by Key Y it means:  press Key X and release then press Key Y.  I'll also often shorthand something like this as CTRL,K as opposed to CTRL+K, which means you have to hit K while CTRL is depressed at the same time.

This is in Word 2010.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

            Niels Bohr

kelby carlson

Just tried that. Didn't do anything except insert a k at the end of the file.

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 08:46 am, kelby carlson wrote:
Just tried that. Didn't do anything except insert a k at the end of the file.
What version of Word are you using?   I can't explain this because on every box I've on which I've used Word 2010 that paste control comes up the moment after CTRL+V has completed the paste.  I normally access it via point and click, but I can consistently access it by hitting the CTRL key and choosing one of the letters I noted earlier as well.

It could be a Word setting on your end but we'd have to figure that out an that would be a slog, as there are so many of them.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

            Niels Bohr

kelby carlson

This is Word 2016, but there is a paste options button accessible from
the home ribbon immediately after pasting something into a document.
Are you sure I don't have to pass the key through first? Control has a
specific function within NVDA in particular.

[...]

Definitely take a look at your Word Options, Advanced Pane, and see what your Cut, Copy, and Paste section looks like and whether the defaults chosen there for differing circumstances suit what you usually wish to do.

--

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 08:52 am, kelby carlson wrote:
Are you sure I don't have to pass the key through first? Control has a
specific function within NVDA in particular.
I'm aware of the split button in the Home Ribbon, but it's a much bigger PITA to get to it, though you can use it.

I am having absolutely no difficulty with NVDA running with hitting CTRL alone, immediately after having done a paste, and having it activate the paste options.  Never having worked with Word 2016 I can't really posit a theory as to what might or might not be happening.  The most recent version of Word with which I have any direct experience is Word 2013, and the majority of the time use Word 2010.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

            Niels Bohr

kelby carlson

I already looked at those options, as I said earlier. Despite having
them set to keep the source formatting, that isn't what is happening.
Pressing control after pasting does absolutely nothing, and I'm not
inclined to think it would given the role of the control key in NVDA.

[...]

I don't know if this needs to be dealt with in part in Word but the original source is a web page and the screen-reader definitely affects what is copied from the web page depending on what settings are available governing this.  If no settings are vailable, content will be altered and you can't do anything about it while the screen-reader is running.  JAWS has an option that allows you to copy from the MSAA buffer or more or less directly from the web page.  I don't remember the actual names of these options.  NVDA doesn't have such an option.

Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 10:06 AM