Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

Frank Ventura

Hi all, I have a self voicing application. When I launch the application I can put NVDA to sleep using CAPS LOCK SHIFT Z and that orks. However, I need to do it everytime I launch that application. Is there a means of setting that automatically for that application?

Thanks

Frank

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

You could always setup a profile to put nvda to sleep I am pretty sure it would work for that application.

Tene nz

On 6/22/2017 6:01 AM, Frank Ventura wrote:

Hi all, I have a self voicing application. When I launch the application I can put NVDA to sleep using CAPS LOCK SHIFT Z and that orks. However, I need to do it everytime I launch that application. Is there a means of setting that automatically for that application?

Thanks

Frank

Frank Ventura

Thanks once I set up a profile just for application how do I could figure it to you sleep mode?

Sincerely
Frank Ventura
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 21, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi

You could always setup a profile to put nvda to sleep I am pretty sure it would work for that application.

Tene nz

On 6/22/2017 6:01 AM, Frank Ventura wrote:

Hi all, I have a self voicing application. When I launch the application I can put NVDA to sleep using CAPS LOCK SHIFT Z and that orks. However, I need to do it everytime I launch that application. Is there a means of setting that automatically for that application?

Thanks

Frank

The most effective solution is an app module that’ll put NVDA to sleep for this app. The second best solution is to use an app-specific profile and change speech synthesizer to “no speech” for this app.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

OK, thanks I created a new profile for that application. How do I tell the profile to use no speech?

Sincerely
Frank Ventura
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 21, 2017, at 4:43 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Tony Ballou

Hi Frank,

I believe you can. When you are working in that self voicing program, and you have NVDA in sleep mode, hit NVDA-control-c this will save the current configuration settings and the next time you're in that self voicing program, NVDA should automatically go into sleep mode. Hope that makes sense.

Tony

On 6/21/2017 2:01 PM, Frank Ventura wrote:

Hi all, I have a self voicing application. When I launch the application I can put NVDA to sleep using CAPS LOCK SHIFT Z and that orks. However, I need to do it everytime I launch that application. Is there a means of setting that automatically for that application?

Thanks

Frank

Hi,

After creating the profile, close the Configuration Profiles window. Switch to the app, and the app-specific profile will become active. At this point, press Control+NVDA+S to open Synthesizer dialog and choose ‘no speech” and press ENTER. Then switch away from the app and back to the app to make sure NVDA would become silent.

Cheers,

Joseph

Thanks once I set up a profile just for application how do I could figure it to you sleep mode?

Sincerely

Frank Ventura

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 21, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi

You could always setup a profile to put nvda to sleep I am pretty sure it would work for that application.

Tene nz

On 6/22/2017 6:01 AM, Frank Ventura wrote:

Hi all, I have a self voicing application. When I launch the application I can put NVDA to sleep using CAPS LOCK SHIFT Z and that orks. However, I need to do it everytime I launch that application. Is there a means of setting that automatically for that application?

Thanks

Frank

Unfortunately, this isn’t working for me. I’ll let someone explain why.

Cheers,

Joseph

I believe you can. When you are working in that self voicing program, and you have NVDA in sleep mode, hit NVDA-control-c this will save the current configuration settings and the next time you're in that self voicing program, NVDA should automatically go into sleep mode. Hope that makes sense.

Tony

On 6/21/2017 2:01 PM, Frank Ventura wrote:

Hi all, I have a self voicing application. When I launch the application I can put NVDA to sleep using CAPS LOCK SHIFT Z and that orks. However, I need to do it everytime I launch that application. Is there a means of setting that automatically for that application?

Thanks

Frank

Frank Ventura

Thank you very much, that was very simple and it worked.

Sincerely
Frank Ventura
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 21, 2017, at 4:51 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Rob

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:
Unfortunately, this isn't working for me. I'll let someone explain why.

Because when NVDA is in sleep mode, that means it really has gone to sleep, in that app. Which means NVDA commands won't work.

Gene

It won't work because when NVDA is asleep, by definition, no NVDA commands will work.  Being asleep means it does nothing.  The only command that will work is the command to wake it up again.  If it seems to work it is because, if you turn sleep on, then leave the Window and return, sleep will resume.  But that will happen whether you save the configuration or not.  NVDA is asleep whenever you reenter the window for that application during that session of NVDA running unless you turn sleep off in that application.  But the setting can't be saved and it won't carry over from session to session.

[...]

Houdy Joseph,

Thanks for clarification on this.

Tony

On 6/21/2017 4:52 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Good to know, I haven't done much with profiles in NVDA though I have had a student ask me about that so, I'll be checking it out.

Tony

On 6/21/2017 4:54 PM, Frank Ventura wrote:

[...]

I was thinking also changing nvda to no speech with nvda key + S should do it.

I am guessing it should work rather than the sleep one i would have to set up a profile to check.

Gene nz

On 6/22/2017 8:59 AM, Rob wrote:
Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:
Unfortunately, this isn't working for me. I'll let someone explain why.

Because when NVDA is in sleep mode, that means it really has gone to sleep, in that app. Which means NVDA commands won't work.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

The sleep mode and also using the nvda key + S does not work, so would or should work with going into the synth settings and settings that to no speech could work in the profile.

I usually just toggle off the speech when i go into a self voicing program. then turn it back on after wards.

Gene nz

On 6/22/2017 9:27 AM, Tony Ballou wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Yes it does but a word of warning, in some applications that self voice multiple exe files run and you may need to set each one up as you find it so all are covered. Guide is a case in point.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]

Brian's Mail list account

Well with it running you select whatever parameters you need in all the dialogues as normal and they should only occur when that executable is running in the foreground. That has been my experience. There is as I recall a small add in that can do the same but since profiles I've not used it.

On Jun 21, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...<mailto:hurrikennyandopo@...>> wrote:

Hi

You could always setup a profile to put nvda to sleep I am pretty sure it would work for that application.

Tene nz

On 6/22/2017 6:01 AM, Frank Ventura wrote:
Hi all, I have a self voicing application. When I launch the application I can put NVDA to sleep using CAPS LOCK SHIFT Z and that orks. However, I need to do it everytime I launch that application. Is there a means of setting that automatically for that application?
Thanks
Frank

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]

Brian's Mail list account

Hmm, it worked here, but I do know that some apps have multiple exe files which means doing it for all of them. Do you have a copy of the app module that forces sleep mode on exe identification. I do have it installed on a number of machines except of course the one here at home....
It is extremely simple to modify if I recall, and it uses true sleep mode too.

[...]

Yes but the no speech mode should work as it is just not saying anything.

It worked here.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Unfortunately, this isn't working for me. I'll let someone explain why.

Because when NVDA is in sleep mode, that means it really has gone to sleep, in that app. Which means NVDA commands won't work.

Steve Nutt

Hi,

I think you’d have to create a profile for that application first, then switch on sleep mode in that profile.

All the best

Steve