Another Outlook Issue

Ralph Boersema

Dear Folks,

There may be others who have this issue with Outlook, but since Joseph Lee has just been able to confirm my (and Julia's) problem with reading the list in some Outlook folders, I would like to especially address this question to him. But, please let's chime in if anyone else can say something about this.

Joseph, I wonder if you can reproduce a problem I have encountered with various versions of Outlook. Currently, I am using Office 2016. It's actually more an annoyance than a problem. Here goes:

In composing messages, I may hear unrelated words when I move from one field to another before the correct text is read. This happens frequently, but unpredictably, as far as I can figure (but, of course, that's not very far). In writing this message, for example, I just went back to the top and then jumped up to the subject field, using shift-tab. It read to me, "One inches dear folks subject alt u another outlook issue." On other occasions, but not this time, when I drop back down into the message field, it may first read the subject line of an unrelated email that I have just opened.

Warmly,
Ralph

Hi,
Shift+TAB problem: partly caused by the fact that Outlook uses some components of Microsoft Word when composing messages, and NVDA does detect when you press TAB and Shift+TAB in hopes of announcing margines. Looks like this is a bit aggressive then what users prefer, so I and/or Quentin will need to talk to NV Access about what can be done about this.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ralph Boersema
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:49 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Another Outlook Issue

Dear Folks,

There may be others who have this issue with Outlook, but since Joseph Lee has just been able to confirm my (and Julia's) problem with reading the list in some Outlook folders, I would like to especially address this question to him. But, please let's chime in if anyone else can say something about this.

Joseph, I wonder if you can reproduce a problem I have encountered with various versions of Outlook. Currently, I am using Office 2016. It's actually more an annoyance than a problem. Here goes:

In composing messages, I may hear unrelated words when I move from one field to another before the correct text is read. This happens frequently, but unpredictably, as far as I can figure (but, of course, that's not very far). In writing this message, for example, I just went back to the top and then jumped up to the subject field, using shift-tab. It read to me, "One inches dear folks subject alt u another outlook issue." On other occasions, but not this time, when I drop back down into the message field, it may first read the subject line of an unrelated email that I have just opened.

Warmly,
Ralph

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

They need to add auto reading of unread messages in a folder when going through your list of folders. I do control y Jaws and other screen readers will say NVDA 9 unread so should NVDA.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ralph Boersema
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:49 PM

Dear Folks,

Warmly,
Ralph

Hi,
This, unfortunately, cannot be done easily. In order to do so, Outlook must be willing to expose this info to NVDA. One of the possible reasons why JAWS can do this is due to screen scraping capabilities, which NVDA somewhat implements, but the preferred approach from NV Access is accessing info through accessibility API's and others.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis L
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Another Outlook Issue

They need to add auto reading of unread messages in a folder when going through your list of folders. I do control y Jaws and other screen readers will say NVDA 9 unread so should NVDA.

Dear Folks,

Warmly,
Ralph

Ralph Boersema

Is there any other way to key through the headers?

Ralph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:54 PM

Hi,
Shift+TAB problem: partly caused by the fact that Outlook uses some components of Microsoft Word when composing messages, and NVDA does detect when you press TAB and Shift+TAB in hopes of announcing margines. Looks like this is a bit aggressive then what users prefer, so I and/or Quentin will need to talk to NV Access about what can be done about this.
Cheers,
Joseph

Dear Folks,

Warmly,
Ralph

Hi,
Not that I know of.
Cheers,
Joseph

Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:39 PM

Is there any other way to key through the headers?

Ralph

Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:54 PM

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Dear Folks,

Warmly,
Ralph

And window eyes also does this as well.

Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:15 PM

Hi,
This, unfortunately, cannot be done easily. In order to do so, Outlook must be willing to expose this info to NVDA. One of the possible reasons why JAWS can do this is due to screen scraping capabilities, which NVDA somewhat implements, but the preferred approach from NV Access is accessing info through accessibility API's and others.
Cheers,
Joseph

Dear Folks,

Warmly,
Ralph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I've heard this in other software. its as if another app that might be running or another window which is open is momentarily getting focus then losing it again.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:49 PM

Dear Folks,

Warmly,
Ralph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes I using Outlook express remember some of this discussion for this application a long time ago. It seems Microsoft have a history of not doing all they really should be in email software.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 1:15 AM

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Dear Folks,

Warmly,
Ralph

Gene

Window-eyes uses screen scraping more than NVDA, as far as I know.  However, one thing that hasn't been discussed is whether this information can be seen by reviewing the screen in navigation or screen review mode.  If the information can be seen in this way, then it would simply be a question of scripting that it be spoken automatically. 

Meantime, it isn't clear to me how accessible the status line is in the program.  Similar information may be in the status line.  And finally, you may get the information automatically spoken now or see it more easily by using the status line if you don't use the control y dialog.  I don't use Outlook but if it is designed as it used to be, if you are in the message list, you could shift tab once and be in the folders ttree view.  You would up or down arrow to the folder you want to work with and press enter.  I don't know why the control y dialog seems to be used a fair amount in this and other e-mail programs.  I find it much more convenient to simply shift tab once and then tab back to the messages list. 

Also, regarding the status line, I just tested the go to folder, control y, dialog in the older version of Windows Live Mail.  When I am in that dialog, I can't see the status line using NVDA key end.  When I am in the folders treeview, I can see the status line and I am told how many unread messages there are when I am on a folder if I issue the read status line command.  I don't know what will happen in Outlook but when dealing with such a problem, accessing the item you want should be tried in different ways if those ways are available.  In a dialog, you either aren't going to see the status line or it won't reflect what you are doing in the dialog.

Gene

Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 12:06 AM

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

They need to add auto reading of unread messages in a folder when going through your list of folders.  I do control y Jaws and other screen readers will say NVDA 9 unread so should NVDA.

Dear Folks,

There may be others who have this issue with Outlook, but since Joseph Lee has just been able to confirm my  (and Julia's) problem with reading the list in some Outlook folders, I would like to especially address this question to him. But, please let's chime in if anyone else can say something about this.

Warmly,
Ralph

If I am actually in the NVDA folder and read the status line with control end it will read the number of unread messages in that folder.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 8:37 AM

Window-eyes uses screen scraping more than NVDA, as far as I know.  However, one thing that hasn't been discussed is whether this information can be seen by reviewing the screen in navigation or screen review mode.  If the information can be seen in this way, then it would simply be a question of scripting that it be spoken automatically. 

Meantime, it isn't clear to me how accessible the status line is in the program.  Similar information may be in the status line.  And finally, you may get the information automatically spoken now or see it more easily by using the status line if you don't use the control y dialog.  I don't use Outlook but if it is designed as it used to be, if you are in the message list, you could shift tab once and be in the folders ttree view.  You would up or down arrow to the folder you want to work with and press enter.  I don't know why the control y dialog seems to be used a fair amount in this and other e-mail programs.  I find it much more convenient to simply shift tab once and then tab back to the messages list. 

Also, regarding the status line, I just tested the go to folder, control y, dialog in the older version of Windows Live Mail.  When I am in that dialog, I can't see the status line using NVDA key end.  When I am in the folders treeview, I can see the status line and I am told how many unread messages there are when I am on a folder if I issue the read status line command.  I don't know what will happen in Outlook but when dealing with such a problem, accessing the item you want should be tried in different ways if those ways are available.  In a dialog, you either aren't going to see the status line or it won't reflect what you are doing in the dialog.

Gene

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

They need to add auto reading of unread messages in a folder when going through your list of folders.  I do control y Jaws and other screen readers will say NVDA 9 unread so should NVDA.

Dear Folks,

There may be others who have this issue with Outlook, but since Joseph Lee has just been able to confirm my  (and Julia's) problem with reading the list in some Outlook folders, I would like to especially address this question to him. But, please let's chime in if anyone else can say something about this.

Warmly,
Ralph

Gene

That's good. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 8:02 AM

If I am actually in the NVDA folder and read the status line with control end it will read the number of unread messages in that folder.

Gene

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Dear Folks,

Warmly,
Ralph

Does this mean it could be scripted?

Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 9:23 AM

That's good. 

Gene

Gene

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Dear Folks,

Warmly,
Ralph

Gene

I don't know if NVDA can see the information.  If it can, it can be scripted.

Gene

Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 9:45 AM

That's good. 

Gene

Gene

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Dear Folks,

Warmly,
Ralph

It would be nice if someone would write a script to accomplish this if it’s possible.

Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 11:44 AM

I don't know if NVDA can see the information.  If it can, it can be scripted.

Gene

Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 9:45 AM

That's good. 

Gene

Gene

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Dear Folks,

Warmly,
Ralph

Pranav Lal

Ralf,

I can confirm this on my windows 10 computer with outlook 2016.

Pranav-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 3:19 AM

Dear Folks,

Warmly,
Ralph

Adriani Botez

I cannot confirn this on win10 and outlook 2016. On win8.1 and outlook 2010 neather.

Did you try to change the synthesizer or to reinstall nvda? Do you have the same issue then?

Best
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 25.06.2017 um 08:01 schrieb Pranav Lal <pranav.lal@gmail.com>:

Ralf,

Dear Folks,

Warmly,
Ralph

Ralph Boersema

I have had the issue for several years and with different Windows, Outlook,
and NVDA versions. I think I did not have it with Outlook Express. I just
tried a different synthesizer and that also did not make a difference.

Ralph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Adriani
Botez
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2017 9:37 AM

I cannot confirn this on win10 and outlook 2016. On win8.1 and outlook 2010
neather.

Did you try to change the synthesizer or to reinstall nvda? Do you have the
same issue then?

Best
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 25.06.2017 um 08:01 schrieb Pranav Lal <pranav.lal@gmail.com>:

Ralf,

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Ralph Boersema

Dear Folks,

There may be others who have this issue with Outlook, but since Joseph Lee
has just been able to confirm my (and Julia's) problem with reading the
list in some Outlook folders, I would like to especially address this
question to him. But, please let's chime in if anyone else can say something
about this.

Joseph, I wonder if you can reproduce a problem I have encountered with
various versions of Outlook. Currently, I am using Office 2016. It's
actually more an annoyance than a problem. Here goes:

In composing messages, I may hear unrelated words when I move from one
field to another before the correct text is read. This happens frequently,
but unpredictably, as far as I can figure (but, of course, that's not very
far). In writing this message, for example, I just went back to the top and
then jumped up to the subject field, using shift-tab. It read to me, "One
inches dear folks subject alt u another outlook issue." On other occasions,
but not this time, when I drop back down into the message field, it may
first read the subject line of an unrelated email that I have just opened.

Warmly,
Ralph