From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ralph Boersema
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:49 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Another Outlook Issue

Dear Folks,

There may be others who have this issue with Outlook, but since Joseph Lee has just been able to confirm my (and Julia's) problem with reading the list in some Outlook folders, I would like to especially address this question to him. But, please let's chime in if anyone else can say something about this.

Joseph, I wonder if you can reproduce a problem I have encountered with various versions of Outlook. Currently, I am using Office 2016. It's actually more an annoyance than a problem. Here goes:

In composing messages, I may hear unrelated words when I move from one field to another before the correct text is read. This happens frequently, but unpredictably, as far as I can figure (but, of course, that's not very far). In writing this message, for example, I just went back to the top and then jumped up to the subject field, using shift-tab. It read to me, "One inches dear folks subject alt u another outlook issue." On other occasions, but not this time, when I drop back down into the message field, it may first read the subject line of an unrelated email that I have just opened.

Warmly,
Ralph

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

They need to add auto reading of unread messages in a folder when going through your list of folders. I do control y Jaws and other screen readers will say NVDA 9 unread so should NVDA.

[...]

Hi,
This, unfortunately, cannot be done easily. In order to do so, Outlook must be willing to expose this info to NVDA. One of the possible reasons why JAWS can do this is due to screen scraping capabilities, which NVDA somewhat implements, but the preferred approach from NV Access is accessing info through accessibility API's and others.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Ralph Boersema

Is there any other way to key through the headers?

Ralph

Shift+TAB problem: partly caused by the fact that Outlook uses some components of Microsoft Word when composing messages, and NVDA does detect when you press TAB and Shift+TAB in hopes of announcing margines. Looks like this is a bit aggressive then what users prefer, so I and/or Quentin will need to talk to NV Access about what can be done about this.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Not that I know of.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

And window eyes also does this as well.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I've heard this in other software. its as if another app that might be running or another window which is open is momentarily getting focus then losing it again.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Yes I using Outlook express remember some of this discussion for this application a long time ago. It seems Microsoft have a history of not doing all they really should be in email software.
[...]

Gene

Window-eyes uses screen scraping more than NVDA, as far as I know.  However, one thing that hasn't been discussed is whether this information can be seen by reviewing the screen in navigation or screen review mode.  If the information can be seen in this way, then it would simply be a question of scripting that it be spoken automatically.

Meantime, it isn't clear to me how accessible the status line is in the program.  Similar information may be in the status line.  And finally, you may get the information automatically spoken now or see it more easily by using the status line if you don't use the control y dialog.  I don't use Outlook but if it is designed as it used to be, if you are in the message list, you could shift tab once and be in the folders ttree view.  You would up or down arrow to the folder you want to work with and press enter.  I don't know why the control y dialog seems to be used a fair amount in this and other e-mail programs.  I find it much more convenient to simply shift tab once and then tab back to the messages list.

Also, regarding the status line, I just tested the go to folder, control y, dialog in the older version of Windows Live Mail.  When I am in that dialog, I can't see the status line using NVDA key end.  When I am in the folders treeview, I can see the status line and I am told how many unread messages there are when I am on a folder if I issue the read status line command.  I don't know what will happen in Outlook but when dealing with such a problem, accessing the item you want should be tried in different ways if those ways are available.  In a dialog, you either aren't going to see the status line or it won't reflect what you are doing in the dialog.

[...]

If I am actually in the NVDA folder and read the status line with control end it will read the number of unread messages in that folder.

[...]

Does this mean it could be scripted?

[...]

I don't know if NVDA can see the information.  If it can, it can be scripted.