Finding headers doesn't work.

John J. Boyer

I had someone update my PC remotely. Among other things he installed the Windows 10 Ap Essentials add-on. Now the keys
that are supposed to jump to headers, such as h 1, 2, etc. don't work. Why is this, and what is the fix?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...

Quentin Christensen

Hi John,

Which browser are you in?  And are you definitely in Browse mode?

If you could give us some more information please, that would be great!

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 12:36 PM, John J. Boyer <john.boyer@...> wrote:
I had someone update my PC remotely. Among other things he installed the Windows 10 Ap Essentials add-on. Now the keys
that are supposed to jump to headers, such as h  1, 2, etc. don't work. Why is this, and what is the fix?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
        that are available at no cost

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

John J. Boyer

I've tried the header keys in firefox, Chrome and Edge. They don't work in any of them. How would I know if I am in
browse mode?

Thanks,
John

john.boyer@...> wrote:

I had someone update my PC remotely. Among other things he installed the
Windows 10 Ap Essentials add-on. Now the keys
that are supposed to jump to headers, such as h 1, 2, etc. don't work.
Why is this, and what is the fix?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
services
that are available at no cost

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess
--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
that are available at no cost

Quentin Christensen

Usually, on a web page, if you aren't in a form (an edit box or combo box etc) then you likely be in Browse mode.  You can also press escape to go from Focus mode to Browse mode.  See the User Guide: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/NVDA/documentation/en/userGuide.html#BrowseMode for a bit more information.

Are you using the regular stable builds of NVDA, Windows and your other programs, or are you using any "beta" versions (NVDA "Next" builds or Windows insider builds etc)?

Regards

Quentin.

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
        that are available at no cost

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

hi

if you want to know which mode you are in on the net you can have this spoken out instead of the sounds.

press the ctrl + nvda key + the letter B

When this dialogue box appears tab down until you hear NvDA say Audio indication of focus and browse modes and uncheck this box, then tab down to the ok button then press the enter key.

Now you should hear NVDA say browse mode where you can use ssingle letter navigation keys and focus mode when in a edit box. it can be switched between the 2 modes with the nvda key + space bar if you did not hear what it said.

Gene nz

john.boyer@...> wrote:

I had someone update my PC remotely. Among other things he installed the
Windows 10 Ap Essentials add-on. Now the keys
that are supposed to jump to headers, such as h  1, 2, etc. don't work.
Why is this, and what is the fix?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
services
        that are available at no cost

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

John J. Boyer

I am deaf-blind, and I use braille. I've checked the user guide and tried switching in and out of browse mode in
Firefox. The single-letter navigation keys such as h just don't work. The add-on manager says that Windows 10 App
Essentials is running. I've never had problems with the header keys before. this is very frustrating.

John

Email: john.boyer@...<mailto:john.boyer@...>

www.nvaccess.org<http://www.nvaccess.org>
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
that are available at no cost

Quentin Christensen

Ok, if you disable the Win 10 app essentials, does Browse mode work?  You can either go into the add-ons manager and disable it specifically or press NVDA+q and rather than just pressing ENTER to quit NVDA, press the down arrow to "Restart with Add-ons disabled" and then press ENTER to see if Browse mode works without addons running.

Also, when you say you can't press single letter navigation keys such as H or 1 for headings, what happens?  Do you get a message or a particular sound?

Regards

Quentin.

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
        that are available at no cost

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Felix G.

Hello,
it would be helpful if the person who updated your pc could provide a protocol of what they did exactly, then we could go over those items to see which of them might interfere with your navigation keys.
Greetings,
Felix

Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> schrieb am Fr., 23. Juni 2017 um 08:17 Uhr:

> [...]

> www.nvaccess.org<http://www.nvaccess.org>
> Twitter: @NVAccess
>

> --
> [Image NVDA          certified expert]
> Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Hmmm I have never used the header keys that much.

Probably could be a bug that existed in the addon from day 1 because no one needed that feature.

I never need it so I never tried it.

But if enough are seeing it then its possible its been there all the time and no one has tried it.

On 23/06/2017 5:54 p.m., John J. Boyer wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account

I would first disable the add on in tools etc, then see if it works. At least that would remove that variable.
My worry here is this, do any of the quick navigation keys work, ie l b e etc?
If not could it possibly be that something has deregistered a vital file in windows. I've seen this if that math display program or some office products are removed. In that case then you really need local help I'd suggest to fix it. Be interesting to know what exactly was updated.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

No its not a bug, at least not in the original as I use header and other shortcut keys all the time.
[...]

Chris Mullins

Press control+nvda+b to open the Browse mode dialog, tab down to 'a check
box labelled 'audio indication of Focus and Brows modes', uncheck it, tab to
OK and press, use nvda+spacebar to switch between focus/browse modes and
NVDA will announce the mode it is in rather than using a sound.

Cheers
Chris enter. Now when browsing web sites,

john.boyer@...> wrote:

[...]

Disabling Windows 10 App
Essentials has no effect. In the browse mode menu I checked Include Layout Tables. That had no effect either. I don't
see anything else in the NVDA menus that seems relevant.

John

wrote:

[...]

None of the quick navigation keys work. I'll get in touch with the person who updated my computer.

Thanks,
John

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 10:11:57AM +0100, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I would first disable the add on in tools etc, then see if it works. At
least that would remove that variable.
My worry here is this, do any of the quick navigation keys work, ie l b e
etc?
If not could it possibly be that something has deregistered a vital file in
windows. I've seen this if that math display program or some office products
are removed. In that case then you really need local help I'd suggest to fix
it. Be interesting to know what exactly was updated.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "John J. Boyer"
<john.boyer@...>
[...]

Rui Fontes

Just a question:

You are typing the letters on PC keyboard or in Braille display keyboard?

Rui

[...]

Gene

As another list member has said, this sort of problem is probably the result of something being uninstalled.  Can you find out or do you know what was uninstalled, if anything?  Whenever I've seen such a problem discussed in the past, something had been uninstalled.

Maybe this person shouldn't update the machine in future or if he/she does, strict instructions should be given not to uninstall anything, even if the intention is to uninstall and reinstall it later.  As I understand it, if you uninstall Office, then reinstall it, reinstalling doesn't undo the damage to Windows in terms of NVDA accessibility.  If you uninstall and then install something else, such as the Math Player, that corrects whatever damage the uninstallation did, according to discussions I've read here.

I hope others comment on the following point but it seems to me to be important.  When upgrading a program or a suite such as Office, I think that, given some uninstallations ability to harm accessibility as used by NVDA, that the new version should be installed over the old, unless this isn't possible.

Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 5:20 AM

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
        that are available at no cost

Gene

Most people use headers.  If this were a general problem, we would have heard about it vociferously and abundantly long before this.

Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 3:11 AM

> [...]

>> Twitter: @NVAccess
>>

>> --
>> [Image NVDA          certified expert]
>> Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

I assume then that there is no indication of mode in a Braille only system. Could somebody explain this?
If somebody is deaf and blind it makes fault finding this sort of problem a little bit awkward.

wrote:

[...]

I'd go along with that most certainly. also if using a registry cleaner use one which has been tested in an accessibility system. I know the eusing cleaner is OK and so is ccleaner from the deregistering point of view, but others may not be. Despite the best of intentions anyone doing a major update should set a system restore point before changing things in any way.

wrote:

[...]

It now appears from his answer to my query that no single keys work which means for some reason its not going into browse mode at all, or that something is blocking those keys, which I would suggest is unlikely.

If you want to simulate a browser without those keys, just install pale moon browser.. grin.