about one of new features in nvda 2017.2

hello every one.
there is one new thing added to the new version of nvda which is realy
annoying for me.
when i press nvdaup three times,
• Performing the read current line command three times quickly spells
the line with character descriptions.
it bother me realy.
how can i deactivate it and restore previous behaviour?
its very important for me if i want to use newer versions of nvda.
i appreciate any help and God bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Hi,
What language is this and what's the expected behavior please/
Cheers,
Joseph

there is one new thing added to the new version of nvda which is realy annoying for me.
when i press nvdaup three times,
• Performing the read current line command three times quickly spells the line with character descriptions.
it bother me realy.
how can i deactivate it and restore previous behaviour?
its very important for me if i want to use newer versions of nvda.
i appreciate any help and God bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:

i experienced this new feature both in persian (farsi) and english.
i wish that how many times i press nvda+up arrow, nvda only spells the
line not with character discription!

What language is this and what's the expected behavior please/
Cheers,
Joseph

there is one new thing added to the new version of nvda which is realy
annoying for me.
when i press nvdaup three times,
• Performing the read current line command three times quickly spells the
line with character descriptions.
it bother me realy.
how can i deactivate it and restore previous behaviour?
its very important for me if i want to use newer versions of nvda.
i appreciate any help and God bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Hi,
I see.
Tyler, if you are here, can you please comment on this? Thanks.
Cheers,
Joseph

there is one new thing added to the new version of nvda which is realy
annoying for me.
when i press nvdaup three times,
• Performing the read current line command three times quickly spells
the line with character descriptions.
it bother me realy.
how can i deactivate it and restore previous behaviour?
its very important for me if i want to use newer versions of nvda.
i appreciate any help and God bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:

hi joseph.
i sincerely appreciate your help and waite for your solution.
i wish the behaviour of previous versions of nvda in spelling lines, words, etc.
i only want spelling not spelling with character descriptions like in
nvda 2017.2

[...]

Gene

I didn't understand why people wanted this feature and I'm not saying it shouldn't be there.  I'd have to see the reasons it was implemented.  But having said that, it seems cumbersome and I question the value of having a line of text read alpha numerically.  NVDA already can read the current word alpha numerically.  I would think those who need such would be far better served by moving to the word they want clarified and using read current word.

As far as your problem is concerned, it will take a little getting used to, but you can work around the problem and after you get used to it. I would think it would become easy once you get used to it.  Press Read current line twice to hear it spelled.  Then, if you want to hear it spelled again and it hasn't finished being spelled, press control to stop speech and again issue read current line twice quickly.  Pressing control resets the command so pressing twice will always cause the line to be spelled.

Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 12:05 PM

i experienced this new feature both in persian (farsi) and english.
i wish that how many times i press nvda+up arrow, nvda only spells the
line not with character discription!

> Hi,
> What language is this and what's the expected behavior please/
> Cheers,
> Joseph

i am sure that there is one settings that deactivate this feature.
i realy cant used to it!
how can i restore previous behaviour of nvda?

On 6/23/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

mcLeod stinnett

-- y not jus t go back to 17.1. 17.2 has other bugs that staff is working on

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

pressing either numpad 8, or nvda-up arrow once reads the line, pressing it twice spells the line, pressing it three times spells the line phoenetically.  I don't see any issue with this.  If you don't want it spelled phoenetically, don't press it three times, only press it twice.

Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 12:05 PM

i experienced this new feature both in persian (farsi) and english.
i wish that how many times i press nvda+up arrow, nvda only spells the
line not with character discription!

> Hi,
> What language is this and what's the expected behavior please/
> Cheers,
> Joseph

Quentin Christensen

From memory, this was to bring it into line with other commands.  Most speech commands work like that - press once to hear it read, twice quickly to spell and three times quickly to spell phonetically (alpha, bravo, charlie etc).  The reason why you might want it is if you have a word you are having trouble hearing, maybe a new voice you aren't used to etc.

I can understand why you might not care to use it, but I can't figure out why you are pressing NVDA+up arrow more than twice in that case?

Regards

Quentin.

Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 12:05 PM

i experienced this new feature both in persian (farsi) and english.
i wish that how many times i press nvda+up arrow, nvda only spells the
line not with character discription!

> Hi,
> What language is this and what's the expected behavior please/
> Cheers,
> Joseph

Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

hi quentin.
sometimes nvda reads slow and i should press nvda+up even more than
three times to recieve its feedback!
if its useful for some person, i respect requirements of different
people and there needs.
but how can i disable it for myself only?
i realy dont like phonetic and cant accept it for myself!
God bless you and his infinite mercy for you specially in the month of ramadhan!

From memory, this was to bring it into line with other commands. Most
speech commands work like that - press once to hear it read, twice quickly
to spell and three times quickly to spell phonetically (alpha, bravo,
charlie etc). The reason why you might want it is if you have a word you
are having trouble hearing, maybe a new voice you aren't used to etc.

On 6/23/2017 2:07 PM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Virus-free.
<#m_-3588384224066545259_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Brian's Mail list account

No I know, I've never managed to figure out a use for phonetics unless it helps those with poor hearing.

I have however discovered a problem at least with my system. sometimes it needs three presses to get the normal spell others only two. A restart of nvda fixes this but if the person with the original query has this same issue from time to time it could be why he is getting a bit annoyed.
The true manner its supposed to work is nvda up arrow twice for spell and three times for phonetics etc. However as I say, occasionally here, nvda gets it wrong or does not register the presses, not sure.
Strange as I do not see the same issue on the copy to clipboard nvda keypad 5 command.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

I don't know how many people asked for this feature.  I believe I saw one request for it here.  The reason given for implementing it was to make it consistent with other speech commands.  There are times when consistency is meaningless.

Why would anyone want to hear an entire line read alphanumerically in the first place?  It is usually an isolated word that needs clarification.  If some people do benefit from this feature, perhaps it may be user controllable but I have serious questions, given two opposing comments so far, that it should be on by default and I have serious questions as to whether it impairs the user experience for more or far more people than it helps.  And, as I said, consistency is meaningless in this context.  Read current word and letter and read current line are used very differently in general as far as I know by users than read current line.

Gene

----- Original Message -----From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io

i experienced this new feature both in persian (farsi) and english.
i wish that how many times i press nvda+up arrow, nvda only spells the
line not with character discription!

> Hi,
> What language is this and what's the expected behavior please/
> Cheers,
> Joseph

i also have not issue with nvda copy the clipboard command.
the only issue with spelling.
if realy someone wants spell line phoneticly, and others dont, there
should be a setting for activating or deactivate this feature.
the optional setting that i can change when i need.

On 6/24/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

I haven't encountered the slow down requiring multiple NVDA+up arrow presses, but it could be worth investigating particularly if we can narrow down when it is happening.

If there is a want, as maybe by the comments there may be, to have the ability to disable phonetic speaking, maybe it could be at least an addon, such as "NoBeepsSpeechMode", if not a selectable option in NVDA itself.

Would someone like to file an issue?

On 6/24/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I don't know how many people asked for this feature.  I believe I saw one
> request for it here.  The reason given for implementing it was to make it
> consistent with other speech commands.  There are times when consistency is
> meaningless.
>
> Why would anyone want to hear an entire line read alphanumerically in the
> first place?  It is usually an isolated word that needs clarification.  If
> some people do benefit from this feature, perhaps it may be user
> controllable but I have serious questions, given two opposing comments so
> far, that it should be on by default and I have serious questions as to
> whether it impairs the user experience for more or far more people than it
> helps.  And, as I said, consistency is meaningless in this context.  Read
> current word and letter and read current line are used very differently in
> general as far as I know by users than read current line.
>
> Gene
>
> ----- Original Message -----From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
> Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2017 4:08 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] about one of new features in nvda 2017.2
>

> No I know, I've never managed to figure out a use for phonetics unless it
> helps those with poor hearing.
>
> I have however discovered a problem at least with my system. sometimes it
> needs three presses to get the normal spell others only two. A restart of
> nvda fixes this but if the person with the original query has this same
> issue from time to time it could be why he is getting a bit annoyed.
>  The true manner its supposed to work is nvda up arrow twice for spell and
> three times for phonetics etc. However as I say, occasionally here, nvda
> gets it wrong or does not register the presses, not sure.
>  Strange as I do not see the same issue on the copy to clipboard nvda keypad
>
> 5 command.
>  Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

If people are worried about having too many options in the various dialogs, then another dialog could be made available from the NVDA menu called something like rarely changed settings and people can be instructed to look in that menu in the documentation if they want to see if something can be changed that there is little demand for.  It shouldn't take an add on for something like this to be available.

I don't recall what was being discussed a few days ago as something that should be user definable but it, too, could be in this menu.  There really should be a way, within NVDA itself, to accommodate such requests.  Such changes should be available within the program.  Add ons in my opinion, shouldn't have to be used to add to settings that can be changed in the program.  These are parameter changes affecting settings already in the program itself.

Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2017 7:11 AM

On 6/24/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I don't know how many people asked for this feature.  I believe I saw one
> request for it here.  The reason given for implementing it was to make it
> consistent with other speech commands.  There are times when consistency is
> meaningless.
>
> Why would anyone want to hear an entire line read alphanumerically in the
> first place?  It is usually an isolated word that needs clarification.  If
> some people do benefit from this feature, perhaps it may be user
> controllable but I have serious questions, given two opposing comments so
> far, that it should be on by default and I have serious questions as to
> whether it impairs the user experience for more or far more people than it
> helps.  And, as I said, consistency is meaningless in this context.  Read
> current word and letter and read current line are used very differently in
> general as far as I know by users than read current line.
>
> Gene
>
> ----- Original Message -----From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
> Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2017 4:08 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] about one of new features in nvda 2017.2
>

> No I know, I've never managed to figure out a use for phonetics unless it
> helps those with poor hearing.
>
> I have however discovered a problem at least with my system. sometimes it
> needs three presses to get the normal spell others only two. A restart of
> nvda fixes this but if the person with the original query has this same
> issue from time to time it could be why he is getting a bit annoyed.
>  The true manner its supposed to work is nvda up arrow twice for spell and
> three times for phonetics etc. However as I say, occasionally here, nvda
> gets it wrong or does not register the presses, not sure.
>  Strange as I do not see the same issue on the copy to clipboard nvda keypad
>
> 5 command.
>  Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

i agree with gene.
there is no need for addon just optional setting in preferences menu
of nvda i wish.

On 6/24/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I don't know how many people asked for this feature. I believe I saw
one
> request for it here. The reason given for implementing it was to make
it
> consistent with other speech commands. There are times when consistency
is
> meaningless.
>
> Why would anyone want to hear an entire line read alphanumerically in
the
> first place? It is usually an isolated word that needs clarification.
If
> some people do benefit from this feature, perhaps it may be user
> controllable but I have serious questions, given two opposing comments
so
> far, that it should be on by default and I have serious questions as to
> whether it impairs the user experience for more or far more people than
it
> helps. And, as I said, consistency is meaningless in this context.
Read
> current word and letter and read current line are used very differently
in
> general as far as I know by users than read current line.
>
> Gene
>
> ----- Original Message -----From: Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io
> Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2017 4:08 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] about one of new features in nvda 2017.2
>

> No I know, I've never managed to figure out a use for phonetics unless
it
> helps those with poor hearing.
>
> I have however discovered a problem at least with my system. sometimes
it
> needs three presses to get the normal spell others only two. A restart
of
> nvda fixes this but if the person with the original query has this same
> issue from time to time it could be why he is getting a bit annoyed.
> The true manner its supposed to work is nvda up arrow twice for spell
and
> three times for phonetics etc. However as I say, occasionally here,
nvda
> gets it wrong or does not register the presses, not sure.
> Strange as I do not see the same issue on the copy to clipboard nvda
keypad

> 5 command.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

Laz

That's what it's supposed to do. Issue the command only twice to hear
what you want to hear.

Laz

On 6/23/17, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
hello every one.
there is one new thing added to the new version of nvda which is realy
annoying for me.
when i press nvdaup three times,
• Performing the read current line command three times quickly spells
the line with character descriptions.
it bother me realy.
how can i deactivate it and restore previous behaviour?
its very important for me if i want to use newer versions of nvda.
i appreciate any help and God bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Laurie Mehta

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for putting it so concisely.
-LM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

wrote:

> Hi,

> What language is this and what's the expected
behavior
please/

> Cheers,

> Joseph

Re whether to have an add-on for an option or have it in core NVDA code.  That's a discussion we can definitely have, I was just meaning, if someone with the skills and time is interested in this, they can make an add-on now that will do it.  To add it to core takes a little longer (A github issue is the first step), and of course, needs to fight for priority against all the other worthwhile things that could be added, fixed or changed.

Again, I'm not against the idea, just putting my thoughts out there.

Regards

Quentin.

 To: nvda@nvda.groups.io