From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2017 9:53 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and MS Office 365

Noticed that Best Buy has Microsoft Office 365 home edition on sale today for $79.
Does NVDA work well with Office 365?
Thanks

Quentin Christensen

As Joseph mentioned, NVDA works well in Office 2016 (365).

Also, if you're interested in learning how to use Word and Excel a bit more in-depth, NV Access have training modules available for both of those programs, which builds on the general skills covered in "Basic Training for NVDA".  All available in the shop: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 3:32 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:
Hi,
Office 365 is the subscription service that gives you access to latest Office builds. In other words, yes, Office 2016 is usable with NVDA.
Cheers,
Joseph

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I don't like this kind of rental software idea myself it ties you in to their every whim.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Noticed that Best Buy has Microsoft Office 365 home edition on sale today for $79.
Does NVDA work well with Office 365?
Thanks

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'd always go for the boxed product myself not the sub version.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Office 365 is the subscription service that gives you access to latest Office builds. In other words, yes, Office 2016 is usable with NVDA.
Cheers,
Joseph

Noticed that Best Buy has Microsoft Office 365 home edition on sale today for $79.
Does NVDA work well with Office 365?
Thanks

Quentin Christensen

You can still buy Office 2016 as a standalone purchase (rather than Office 365 subscription).  That works exactly the same as Office 365 for now - of course when Office 2018 or whatever the next version is comes out, you won't get that if you buy the full Office 2016, but in any case, NVDA works with either variant.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
I'd always go for the boxed product myself not the sub version.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@...>
Office 365 is the subscription service that gives you access to latest Office builds. In other words, yes, Office 2016 is usable with NVDA.
Cheers,
Joseph

Noticed that Best Buy has Microsoft Office 365 home edition on sale today for $79.
Does NVDA work well with Office 365?
Thanks

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

John J. Boyer

I have strange probleems with NVDA since I installed Microsoft Office. It seems unable to detect which window is active
and will only switch from an inactive window when a dialog box comes up in the active one.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don H" <lmddh50@comcast.net>
Noticed that Best Buy has Microsoft Office 365 home edition on sale today
for $79.
Does NVDA work well with Office 365?
Thanks

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
that are available at no cost

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

To be honest unless somebody really really needs the new stuff in every new office program, its not worth it to upgrade. many of my machines still use Word 2002 or 2003 and they do all I need. Its a great pity Microsoft used docx files but there are conversion programs for those.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com

Noticed that Best Buy has Microsoft Office 365 home edition on sale today
for $79.
Does NVDA work well with Office 365?
Thanks

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Well to be honest unless you use excell I use jarte pluss and that works.

office 2010 and 2007 are still supported offices and still use bits of the older interface.

I still have an old fully legal coppy of office xp but its not going to work on 10 is it, unless there is a way.

Then again jarte and the right converters are all I need I don't need the rest.

I have heard about wps office which is a 30 dollar subscription also a free one if you don't mind your documents being marked, you can also buy a lifetime licence for 1 pc for 80 dollars, the 30 per year subscription gives you smart phone access.

Aparently its been round since 1997 and is chinese owned but I am unsure if it is accessible or not.

Its still cheaper per system than ms office is to be honest though.

Where something like 365 does come in is if you have multiple devices, use onedrive and make a lot of skype calls.

There are subscriptions that will make it worth your while.

While I have not found out how to do it with dropbox google drive has a plugin for direct saving to google drive and I have installed it.

Pluss it appears ms office has a few free programs.

sway, todo, lens and one note are all free programs for just about everything.

A standard user only needs the home version which is only about 140 dollars.

The business versions have things like powerpoint publisher, access and outlook the home version is word powerpoint and excell which is about all everyone needs to be honest.

If you do work in a company there is the home use program and this is how the family bar me use to have office on their systems.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@nvaccess.org>

Noticed that Best Buy has Microsoft Office 365 home edition on sale today
for $79.
Does NVDA work well with Office 365?
Thanks

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Office XP word works on 10 for us, but apparently looks a bit strange to the sighted due to resolution issues. Xcel works the same but Access hangs and you have to use a runtime.

Other bits I do not use but office tools canning seems to work.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Noticed that Best Buy has Microsoft Office 365 home edition on sale today
for $79.
Does NVDA work well with Office 365?
Thanks

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Hmmm thats good to know.

I do have a fully licenced version of office xp so if I ever needed it I could use it but probably wouldn't.

Has anyone tried wps its chinese and came out in 1997.

There was 1, there is always 1 site claming that it is installed with extras and that its full of spyware and it should be removed and then you need to reformat the system to make sure its gone, but I havn't seen that happen.

From all accounts, the subscription which is 30 bucks a year gives you full access to office like programs for both pcs and mobile phones.

its 80 dollars for the pc full licence.

The only restriction is that for free users there is a mark placed on printed documents however unless you need to print things a lot it probably matters zilch.

I must say though the only time I had to use excell it was to open a bunch of excell files for some worksheet printing for my mum and I did that on my dads office cloud box and that was fine.

For just about everything else I use jarte pluss which is 35 dollars for lifetime use.

Even then I don't really use a word processer, as a tester, admin, and semi retired light hacker my work is with text files in notepad, reading a few document briefs in jarte, using adobe reader for pdfs, thunderbird for emails and loads on loads of web forms, servey sites, google forms and google documents and loads and loads of online reports through web portals and generaters.

Its been at least 15 years since I needed to touch a word document or an office file for real and to be brootally honest I don't miss it a bit.