NVDA and Remote Desktop

Kevin Huber

Hi:

I have a copy of NVDA here on my home computer and a copy of NVDA on
my office computer.

If I access my office computer from my PC through Remote Desktop, the
copy of NVDA on my Office computer reads as I expect it to, but when I
press insert-t to here the title of the windo, or when I press
insert-q to shut down the copy of NVDA on my office computer, the the
NVDA on my home compyuter responds, for instance, when I am in
Microsoft Word on my office computer, and I press insert-t, my home
computer responds by reading the title of the window where my home
computer has focus.
What can I do to stop this behaviour and make the NVDA on myy home
computer relinquish control of my keyboard?
Kevin Huber

Chris Mullins

Hi
This sounds very odd behaviour as you should have to press f11 to switch keyboard focus back to your local machine. Are both your home and work machines configured with the same NVDA keyboard layout?

Cheers
Chris

I have a copy of NVDA here on my home computer and a copy of NVDA on my office computer.

If I access my office computer from my PC through Remote Desktop, the copy of NVDA on my Office computer reads as I expect it to, but when I press insert-t to here the title of the windo, or when I press insert-q to shut down the copy of NVDA on my office computer, the the NVDA on my home compyuter responds, for instance, when I am in Microsoft Word on my office computer, and I press insert-t, my home computer responds by reading the title of the window where my home computer has focus.
What can I do to stop this behaviour and make the NVDA on myy home computer relinquish control of my keyboard?
Kevin Huber

Kevin Huber

Yes they are.

By the way, I never thought of the f11 key.
I think I will try it.
Kevin Huber

On 6/29/17, Kevin Huber <kevin.huber1@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi:

I have a copy of NVDA here on my home computer and a copy of NVDA on
my office computer.

If I access my office computer from my PC through Remote Desktop, the
copy of NVDA on my Office computer reads as I expect it to, but when I
press insert-t to here the title of the windo, or when I press
insert-q to shut down the copy of NVDA on my office computer, the the
NVDA on my home compyuter responds, for instance, when I am in
Microsoft Word on my office computer, and I press insert-t, my home
computer responds by reading the title of the window where my home
computer has focus.
What can I do to stop this behaviour and make the NVDA on myy home
computer relinquish control of my keyboard?
Kevin Huber

Kevin Huber

By the way, I just tried the f11 key and that doesn't seem to do anything.

I did find a solution, however. I changed the NVDA key on my PC to
capslock. I think that that takes care of a majority of the
conflicts, but I wonder if there is a better way to do it without
shutting NVDA down when I want to go to my remote desktop.
[...]

Moti Azrad

Hello,

I didn't try NVDA rmote desktop yet. I ask:
May I have braille while I control another pc:
Any other tips and output, is greatly appreciated.

Moti

[...]

Hi Moty:

I do not have a braille display so I can't check that for you.
Kevin Huber

On 6/29/17, Moty Azrad <motiaz@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Isn't it control-alt-pause?

[...]

Hi Moti
Yes, if you install version 2, it will produce Braille on the controlling machine when linked to another machine in a remote session.

Cheers
Chris

[...]

My apologies guys, I mistakenly thought you were talking about NVDA's remote add-on.

Cheers
Chris

[...]

David Mehler

Hello,

Do you have a step by step procedure for getting Nvda going via remote
desktop? I've got a main machine that I work on, but several machines
also on the same network.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 6/29/17, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Sam Bushman

I would be interested as well. Also, what technology does the remote addon use? Can we get the server to run on our own networks?
Thanks,
Sam

[...]

Antony Stone

Please can we focus on whether this topic is regarding using NVDA over Windows
Remote Desktop, or whether we're talking about the NVDA Remote Access add-on?

The two are completely different things, and discussing both in the same thread
will only confuse people who come back to the archives and find these
conversations in future.

The current subject states "NVDA and Remote Desktop", so please keep all
future replies on topic for that.

If people wish to discuss the NVDA Remote Access add-on, please start a new
thread.

Thanks,

Antony.

--
"Remember: the S in IoT stands for Security."

- Jan-Piet Mens

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'm not really sure what you are trying to achieve. I was under the impression that remote desktop cannot be used with screenreaders as the accessibility informatio is not sent down the line, just the graphics of the other computers screen, which is why nvda remote add on was designed.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I have a copy of NVDA here on my home computer and a copy of NVDA on
my office computer.

If I access my office computer from my PC through Remote Desktop, the
copy of NVDA on my Office computer reads as I expect it to, but when I
press insert-t to here the title of the windo, or when I press
insert-q to shut down the copy of NVDA on my office computer, the the
NVDA on my home compyuter responds, for instance, when I am in
Microsoft Word on my office computer, and I press insert-t, my home
computer responds by reading the title of the window where my home
computer has focus.
What can I do to stop this behaviour and make the NVDA on myy home
computer relinquish control of my keyboard?
Kevin Huber

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Hi Brian,
Windows Remote Desktop connection works great with NVDA. It just needs a NVDA copy installed on the remote computer. I log into the remote system via remote desktop, hit control-alt-n and then I can manage the remote computer. Windows remote desktop sends the sound back to me, since windows remote desktop deals with sound redirection as well.
You can switch between the remote desktop and your own desktop by pressing control-alt-pause and also the clipboard is being transferred between local and remote computer.

Cheers,
Ralf

I have a copy of NVDA here on my home computer and a copy of NVDA on
my office computer.

If I access my office computer from my PC through Remote Desktop, the
copy of NVDA on my Office computer reads as I expect it to, but when I
press insert-t to here the title of the windo, or when I press
insert-q to shut down the copy of NVDA on my office computer, the the
NVDA on my home compyuter responds, for instance, when I am in
Microsoft Word on my office computer, and I press insert-t, my home
computer responds by reading the title of the window where my home
computer has focus.
What can I do to stop this behaviour and make the NVDA on myy home
computer relinquish control of my keyboard?
Kevin Huber

David Mehler

Hello,

Can someone do a tutorial/podcast on Nvda and windows remote desktop?
I'm trying to get that going on machines that are connected to my
local network and not having any success.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 6/30/17, Ralf Kefferpuetz <ralf.kefferpuetz@elra-consulting.de> wrote:
[...]

I'll do something about this next week at the earliest.
For folks interested in technical discussions: please take a look at:

Joseph

I have a copy of NVDA here on my home computer and a copy of NVDA on
my office computer.

If I access my office computer from my PC through Remote Desktop, the
copy of NVDA on my Office computer reads as I expect it to, but when
I press insert-t to here the title of the windo, or when I press
insert-q to shut down the copy of NVDA on my office computer, the the
NVDA on my home compyuter responds, for instance, when I am in
Microsoft Word on my office computer, and I press insert-t, my home
computer responds by reading the title of the window where my home
computer has focus.
What can I do to stop this behaviour and make the NVDA on myy home
computer relinquish control of my keyboard?
Kevin Huber

Jonathan Milam

Hi David,

The key to making this work successfully is that you have to be sure your
computers are all logged in locally. That is, none of them can be in an
active Microsoft remote desktop session. If they are all logged in locally,
then it should work for you. Does that help?

Jonathan

I have a copy of NVDA here on my home computer and a copy of NVDA on
my office computer.

If I access my office computer from my PC through Remote Desktop, the
copy of NVDA on my Office computer reads as I expect it to, but when
I press insert-t to here the title of the windo, or when I press
insert-q to shut down the copy of NVDA on my office computer, the the
NVDA on my home compyuter responds, for instance, when I am in
Microsoft Word on my office computer, and I press insert-t, my home
computer responds by reading the title of the window where my home
computer has focus.
What can I do to stop this behaviour and make the NVDA on myy home
computer relinquish control of my keyboard?
Kevin Huber

Chris Mullins

I've read somewhere that W10 Home machines cannot be on the remote end of a Remote Desktop connection, only W10 Pro, is this the case?

Cheers
Chris

[...]

Yes that's correct.

Jonathan

I have a copy of NVDA here on my home computer and a copy of NVDA on
my office computer.

If I access my office computer from my PC through Remote Desktop, the
copy of NVDA on my Office computer reads as I expect it to, but when
I press insert-t to here the title of the windo, or when I press
insert-q to shut down the copy of NVDA on my office computer, the the
NVDA on my home compyuter responds, for instance, when I am in
Microsoft Word on my office computer, and I press insert-t, my home
computer responds by reading the title of the window where my home
computer has focus.
What can I do to stop this behaviour and make the NVDA on myy home
computer relinquish control of my keyboard?
Kevin Huber

David Mehler

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for your suggestion. The one about logging in locally that's
all i've got, I unfortunately do not have a Microsoft Domain, wish I
did. The machines are all win10 pro.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 6/30/17, Jonathan Milam <milamj@wfu.edu> wrote: