From: Don H
Sent: 29 June 2017 22:00
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and combo boxes

I am having some problems with expanding combo boxes using the latest

Version of NVDA on a Win 10 system.  With Window Eyes when on a combo

box you pressed enter then expanded it with alt downarrow.

Thanks

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

It seems to depend on some combo oxs. Some you might when you go into the combo box might only have to use the down arrow key. some you might have to press the space bar key in it to focus it then use the alt + down arrow key. Some times it is the enter key then the alt + down arrow key.

most websites are good but then you get some that are not or can not even use them. It is a good idea some times to let others try it to see if there is a way but in cases bad coding.

Gene nz

On 6/30/2017 9:00 AM, Don H wrote:
I am having some problems with expanding combo boxes using the latest Version of NVDA on a Win 10 system.  With Window Eyes when on a combo box you pressed enter then expanded it with alt downarrow.
Thanks

Are you saying you haven't had this problem with previous versions?  Your comparison to Window-eyes raises the question as to whether you have used any previous versions of NVDA.  Also, I don't know if NVDA automatically goes into forms mode when you enter a combo box.  If it does, perhaps pressing enter when you are already informs mode is doing something.  I think it is much better to turn off automatic switching between browse mode and forms mode.  That may eliminate such problems.  Then you would press enter when on a combo box to go into forms mode and then use alt down arrow.  Alt down arrow is a Windows command.  it should work in any screen-reader that honors Windows commands.

I am having some problems with expanding combo boxes using the latest

Version of NVDA on a Win 10 system.  With Window Eyes when on a combo

box you pressed enter then expanded it with alt downarrow.

Thanks

Don H

I was a Window Eyes user for over 20 years. When the writing was on the wall that WE would be discontinued I started learning NVDA. I did also take up VFO on their offer to get Jaws for free but I am currently using NVDA as my primary screen reader. So I am not saying there is a problem with NVDA and conbo boxes I am saying I am still learning and come accross some things I still don't understand. I am finding people on this list very helpful to me as a NVDA newbee.
Thanks

On 6/29/2017 4:48 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

I wanted to clarify whether you had used earlier versions of NVDA and didn't have this problem.  Your message wasn't clear as to whether you were reporting a new problem with this version or discussing a problem you are having in general.  It appears that you are discussing a problem you are having but it isn't a bug report for this latest version.

On 6/29/2017 4:48 PM, Gene wrote:
> Are you saying you haven't had this problem with previous versions?
> Your comparison to Window-eyes raises the question as to whether you
> have used any previous versions of NVDA.  Also, I don't know if NVDA
> automatically goes into forms mode when you enter a combo box.  If it
> does, perhaps pressing enter when you are already informs mode is doing
> something.  I think it is much better to turn off automatic switching
> between browse mode and forms mode.  That may eliminate such problems.
> Then you would press enter when on a combo box to go into forms mode and
> then use alt down arrow.  Alt down arrow is a Windows command.  it
> should work in any screen-reader that honors Windows commands.
> Gene

chris miles

On 29/06/2017 22:00, Don H wrote:
I am having some problems with expanding combo boxes using the latest Version of NVDA on a Win 10 system.  With Window Eyes when on a combo box you pressed enter then expanded it with alt downarrow.
Thanks

    Hi,

Just press spacebar and then press up or down arrow.

Gene

That isn't standard and if that is necessary, it should be looked into.  But clarification needs to be made.  Are you pressing space to go into forms mode or are you already in forms mode? The correct key to use if you aren't in forms mode to get into forms mode is enter.

Also, there are some combo boxes that you must open with alt down arrow.  Any combo box, whether you need to or not, should be useable if you alt down arrow in them even if doing so isn't necessary.

Gene
I am having some problems with expanding combo boxes using the latest Version of NVDA on a Win 10 system.  With Window Eyes when on a combo box you pressed enter then expanded it with alt downarrow.
Thanks

    Hi,

Just press spacebar and then press up or down arrow.

Brian's Mail list account

There appear to be two kinds. Some that activate when you stop scrolling, and some that need to be activated when you find what you want.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-