Issue reading HTML email in Thunderbird

Justine <griff.js@...>

Hi
I can no longer get NVDA to read my HTML emails in Thunderbird one line at a time. This means it is impossible for me to edit parts of the email. It will only read the email from start to finish.  It is a HTML table with several rows. It won't even read one character at a time, only the whole table.
May be a very simple answer but I am not a tech genius and cannot find an answer in the user guide. As I am running a business from home this issue is causing great frustration. Worked perfectly fine in the past and fine in plain text emails.
Not sure if issues started with latest update of NVDA as have auto update on, same with Thunderbird, so all current versions installed. Using desktop with Windows 10.
Or it may have changed as every so often NVDA crashes and resets to factory defaults. And will not re install my saved profile as well for some reason and as so many preferences I cannot remember them all! So perhaps just needs the right option ticked in settings.  But which one?
Please help, thanks
Justine

Gene

Try turning off browse mode when in the message body, NVDA key space. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 5:23 AM
Subject: [nvda] Issue reading HTML email in Thunderbird

Hi
I can no longer get NVDA to read my HTML emails in Thunderbird one line at a time. This means it is impossible for me to edit parts of the email. It will only read the email from start to finish.  It is a HTML table with several rows. It won't even read one character at a time, only the whole table.
May be a very simple answer but I am not a tech genius and cannot find an answer in the user guide. As I am running a business from home this issue is causing great frustration. Worked perfectly fine in the past and fine in plain text emails.
Not sure if issues started with latest update of NVDA as have auto update on, same with Thunderbird, so all current versions installed. Using desktop with Windows 10.
Or it may have changed as every so often NVDA crashes and resets to factory defaults. And will not re install my saved profile as well for some reason and as so many preferences I cannot remember them all! So perhaps just needs the right option ticked in settings.  But which one?
Please help, thanks
Justine

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

what is your message body set to?? The message body can be found under the view menu then message body. is it set to the first option? I think it is called original html.

Gene nz

On 6/30/2017 10:23 PM, Justine wrote:
Hi
Please help, thanks
Justine

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Gene

The message doesn't say this, but this problem evidently occurs when replying to or composing a message.  I don't know if the setting you are referring to has any bearing on working in the edit field.  also, did this problem begin after a Thunderbird Update? 

Gene
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 6:09 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Issue reading HTML email in Thunderbird

Hi

what is your message body set to?? The message body can be found under the view menu then message body. is it set to the first option? I think it is called original html.

Gene nz

Hi
Please help, thanks
Justine

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

no matter which one it is set to wheather it is original html, simple or text view when composing a email when you go to insert a table it does that part ok and nvda will let you know how many rows etc.

but then it will keep on reading down the table and will not stop. you can not interact with it either.

I have not tried it with a reply email but am guessing you will get the same result.

if it is in the email you got from some one i guess it will read correctly and i am sure you can then see what is in those cells. I will have a play. Looks like a ticket that will have to be done.

Gene nz

On 6/30/2017 2:27 AM, Michael wrote:
Dear Gene Stratford man,
May I add my congratulations. Sakina and Bhavya have expressed it very well.
Continue doing what you're doing.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bhavya
shah
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2017 8:40 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Stratford man becomes New Zealand's expert on
international screen-reading programme | Stuff.co.nz

Hi Gene,
Congratulations on the press coverage of your official NVDA
accreditation, and am glad to see local mainstream media talking about
assistive technology. Thank you for all the material you compile and
compose for the NVDA community!
Thanks.

On 6/29/17, Sakina <sakina.gable@...> wrote:
Dear Gene,

Read your article and was truly pleased.

Your article sums it all about the help you give us all. Thank you
again.
Well done and my heartiest congratulations.

Always with best wishes

Sakina

_____

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
New
Zealand
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 6:44 AM
Subject: [nvda] Stratford man becomes New Zealand's expert on
international
screen-reading programme | Stuff.co.nz

Hi guys

I had a phone call this morning from a local newspaper who came out to
do
an
interview out of the blue.
It is about the first person in New Zealand getting the NVDA expert
certification. I was a bit surprised, but pretty happy with the article
itself!

The article is about the certificate and some other NVDA related
articles
and a little bit pointing towards the Accessibility Central website
where
people can find more information on NVDA and other blindness related
topics.

So, hopefully NVaccess has some more hits coming their way as well as
the
word getting out more about NVDA!

Here is a link to the article below.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/94132707/stratford-man-
beco
mes-new-zealands-expert-on-international-screenreading-programme

Gene NZ

--
Image NVDA
certified expert

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related
material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in
New
Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the
NVDA
screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries
(Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you,
please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified
individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA
expert
exam.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

--
Image NVDA
        certified expert

--

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Make sure you have thunderbird set to show simple html, this will prevent several issues with spammers, but will also allow NVDA to read things a bit better.

With the full blown html, there are things that NVDA doesn't handle well, though it's rarely NVDA's fault, it's the html code that folks haven't a clue how to writ themselves, so they use programs to generate it for them, and some programs don't do a very good job of generating html code that is standards compliant.
This may not solve your problem entirely, but it probably will help.

On 6/30/2017 6:23 AM, Justine wrote:
Hi
Please help, thanks
Justine

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene NZ,

Yes, that is called original HTML.

Rosemarie

Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 4:09 AM

Hi

Gene nz

Hi
Please help, thanks
Justine

--
Image NVDA
        certified expert

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes I had this issue in another email platform with mail newsletters generated by my local thetre and Londoncouncils, both I think used mail Chimp or something. This made all the graphics links have no text or instead have a several line long pointless unhelpful tag.
If you complain at these people you get the sort of reply. I have no idea how this stuff works we just port it over from a pdf file.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 7:19 PM

Make sure you have thunderbird set to show simple html, this will
prevent several issues with spammers, but will also allow NVDA to read
things a bit better.

With the full blown html, there are things that NVDA doesn't handle
well, though it's rarely NVDA's fault, it's the html code that folks
haven't a clue how to writ themselves, so they use programs to generate
it for them, and some programs don't do a very good job of generating
html code that is standards compliant.

Hi
I can no longer get NVDA to read my HTML emails in Thunderbird one
line at a time. This means it is impossible for me to edit parts of
the email. It will only read the email from start to finish. It is a
HTML table with several rows. It won't even read one character at a
time, only the whole table.
May be a very simple answer but I am not a tech genius and cannot find
an answer in the user guide. As I am running a business from home this
issue is causing great frustration. Worked perfectly fine in the past
and fine in plain text emails.
Not sure if issues started with latest update of NVDA as have auto
update on, same with Thunderbird, so all current versions installed.
Using desktop with Windows 10.
Or it may have changed as every so often NVDA crashes and resets to
factory defaults. And will not re install my saved profile as well for
some reason and as so many preferences I cannot remember them all! So
perhaps just needs the right option ticked in settings. But which one?
Please help, thanks
Justine

Well this reminds me of some family stuff I am involved in.

It involved getting messages with information in it in pdf.

I didn't have pdf support on the ipad but its linked to a pc so I got adobe reader.

The documents wouldn't open, so I looked at it myself.

Whoever sent the stuff should have got their heads shot off.

Unless you had an office suite on your phone or your system supposing an average person would have it, basically several old style word documents and excell files, 2 pdfs and 1 new word document.

Jarte handled the documents, and adobe reader handled the pdfs.

I had to get into another system with win10, and office, loaded a graphical xl file and after it almost crashed print the thing off.

So this does go to show if anything else people may not think I had the same issue with a router and support on an isp I used to be with and a bit of old info.

I have come to the conclusion people don't just check, I swear we are all becoming drones.

On 1/07/2017 11:14 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes I had this issue in another email platform with mail newsletters generated by my local thetre and Londoncouncils, both I think used mail Chimp or something. This made all the graphics links have no text or instead have a several line long pointless unhelpful tag.
If you complain at these people you get the sort of reply. I have no idea how this stuff works we just port it over from a pdf file.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Travis Siegel" <tsiegel@softcon.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 7:19 PM

Make sure you have thunderbird set to show simple html, this will
prevent several issues with spammers, but will also allow NVDA to read
things a bit better.

With the full blown html, there are things that NVDA doesn't handle
well, though it's rarely NVDA's fault, it's the html code that folks
haven't a clue how to writ themselves, so they use programs to generate
it for them, and some programs don't do a very good job of generating
html code that is standards compliant.

Hi
I can no longer get NVDA to read my HTML emails in Thunderbird one
line at a time. This means it is impossible for me to edit parts of
the email. It will only read the email from start to finish. It is a
HTML table with several rows. It won't even read one character at a
time, only the whole table.
May be a very simple answer but I am not a tech genius and cannot find
an answer in the user guide. As I am running a business from home this
issue is causing great frustration. Worked perfectly fine in the past
and fine in plain text emails.
Not sure if issues started with latest update of NVDA as have auto
update on, same with Thunderbird, so all current versions installed.
Using desktop with Windows 10.
Or it may have changed as every so often NVDA crashes and resets to
factory defaults. And will not re install my saved profile as well for
some reason and as so many preferences I cannot remember them all! So
perhaps just needs the right option ticked in settings. But which one?
Please help, thanks
Justine

Justine <griff.js@...>

Thanks for all responses.
Perhaps I should clarify. The HTML emails are templates and I need to change name and price and details each time Want to send them to a new customer. They have worked fine until recently when they have become impossible to edit because NVDA reads the whole table from start to finish.
I have tried NVDA and space bar to change to browse mode but that it is not possible now either. Although works fine with rest of Thunderbird.
View message body is only an menu option in received emails and not ones I create from new or templates. In received emails it is set to original html Change to simple HTML and made no difference.
When i want to edit my template I select the line I want to alter and silence, if I arrow down to the next line it will only start reading from the beginning of the table and won't stop till it reaches the end. If I interrupt it, by arrowing up or down it starts reading from the beginning all over again!
Playing around, I have looked at the email in my sent folder and NVDA reads this one line at a time as it should.
If I reply to this email and am right back where I started and reads the table from start to finish

Justine <griff.js@...>

Perhaps I should clarify. The HTML emails are templates and I need to change name and price and details each time Want to send them to a new customer. They have worked fine until recently when they have become impossible to edit because NVDA reads the whole table from start to finish.
I have tried NVDA and space bar to change to browse mode but that it is not possible now either. Although works fine with rest of Thunderbird.
View message body is only an menu option in received emails and not ones I create from new or templates. In received emails it is set to original html Change to simple HTML and made no difference.
When i want to edit my template I select the line I want to alter and silence, if I arrow down to the next line it will only start reading from the beginning of the table and won't stop till it reaches the end. If I interrupt it, by arrowing up or down it starts reading from the beginning all over again!
Playing around, I have looked at the email in my sent folder and NVDA reads this one line at a time as it should.
If I reply to this email and am right back where I started and reads the table from start to finish.
Someone suggested it may be the HTML code but it worked perfectly for the last year until recently!

Gene

Did this problem start after a specific event?  If it started immediately after you updated NVDA, try the previous version.  If it started immediately after updating Thunderbird, go back to the previous version.  If you believe it started after updates but you don't know what update caused the problem, then go back to the previous versions of both programs. 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 2:46 PM

If I reply to this email and am right back where I started and reads the table from start to finish

chris miles

On 30/06/2017 11:23, Justine wrote:
Hi
Please help, thanks
Justine

Hi,

I had a similar issue.

I changed the display size of my laptop to 1020 x 760 and now find that NVDA reads the e-mails in TB as soon as I press F6 on the level required.

Press F for next message

B to go back a message

Press N to go to the next level when the message is in a thread.

I hope this may assist you?

Roger Stewart

I have disabled table reading mode in Thunderbird and that has fixed many problems for me.  Try this, and be sure to make a configuration specific to Thunderbird before you do this or else table mode will be disabled globally.

Roger

On 7/1/2017 6:01 PM, chris miles wrote:
On 30/06/2017 11:23, Justine wrote:
Hi
Please help, thanks
Justine

Hi,

I had a similar issue.

I changed the display size of my laptop to 1020 x 760 and now find that NVDA reads the e-mails in TB as soon as I press F6 on the level required.

Press F for next message

B to go back a message

Press N to go to the next level when the message is in a thread.

I hope this may assist you?

Justine <griff.js@...>

Roger, can you explain how to do this please, many thanks, Justine

Brian Moore

I have been following this thread and can not reproduce this issue no matter how many settings I play with.  Must be missing something something.

I prefer simple html view rather than the standard one but in either case, I have no issue reading messages in thunderbird.  Now, if someone could work out a magic way  to sort the columns in the message list with nvda, I would love to know about it.

On another machine, took my 10 year old son about 5 seconds with the mouse but I can't do it with the keyboard even with review mode or any of the other tricks I have tried.

Brian.

Contact me on skype: brian.moore follow me on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/bmoore123

On 02/07/2017 3:39 PM, Justine wrote:

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Oh, it is possible, I followed instructions posted on this list some time back.  It worked, but when I added a new account, or reset thunderbird or something like that, I couldn't remember how to do it, so had to get help, but I still used nvda, still can't remember how it was/is done, but the sighted help didn't use the mouse (though they kept asking for the mouse, I took it away and hid it until the task was done.) :)

On 7/2/2017 4:08 PM, Brian Moore wrote:

I have been following this thread and can not reproduce this issue no matter how many settings I play with.  Must be missing something something.

I prefer simple html view rather than the standard one but in either case, I have no issue reading messages in thunderbird.  Now, if someone could work out a magic way  to sort the columns in the message list with nvda, I would love to know about it.

On another machine, took my 10 year old son about 5 seconds with the mouse but I can't do it with the keyboard even with review mode or any of the other tricks I have tried.

Brian.

Contact me on skype: brian.moore follow me on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/bmoore123
On 02/07/2017 3:39 PM, Justine wrote:

Virus-free. www.avast.com