and Tap to chose what happens.

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Hi,
I've noticed with Windows 10 that sometimes when inserting a disk, or a Usb Drive, you get the message Tap to chose what happens.
Is there a key command you can use to simulate this command?
Thanks Chris

Andre Fisher

Try Windows key+V, followed by Enter.

On 7/1/17, Chris Shook <chris0309@...> wrote:
Hi,
I've noticed with Windows 10 that sometimes when inserting a disk, or a
Usb Drive, you get the message Tap to chose what happens.
Thanks Chris

Brian's Mail list account

I always thought this was in effect like opening a context menu. its lazy application design, not to tell people another way of doing things. After all, shortcut keys exist in many menus, thank goodness, or Ribbons would have sent me to the funny farm by now.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: [NVDA] and Tap to chose what happens.

Hi,
Thanks Chris

I'd actually like to know how to get to the autorun window.

For sighted systems its a problem especially since I just don'

't want to touch their boxes.

With us blindies I could just turn autorun off completely in autorun settings, however since autorun does not show, its impossible to disconnect devices unless I pull them or turn off the system completely so thats a showstopper for me.

On 2/07/2017 4:56 p.m., Chris Shook wrote:
Hi,
I've noticed with Windows 10 that sometimes when inserting a disk, or a Usb Drive, you get the message Tap to chose what happens.
Thanks Chris

Would that work with the autorun box to?

I will have to remember that key.

I actually really should go to the ms accessability site and store a coppy of the win10 shortcut keys somewhere on my drives.

On 2/07/2017 8:19 p.m., Andre Fisher wrote:

Hi,
Thanks Chris

Gene

I'm not sure autorun, in any form, is allowed in Windows 7 and higher.  You are probably talking about autoplay and you would probably be far more likely to find what you want looking for autoplay if you want to turn it off. 

Gene

Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 5:22 AM

I actually really should go to the ms accessability site and store a
coppy of the win10 shortcut keys somewhere on my drives.

> Try Windows key+V, followed by Enter.
>
> On 7/1/17, Chris Shook <chris0309@...> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've noticed with Windows 10 that sometimes when inserting a disk, or a
>> Usb Drive, you get the message Tap to chose what happens.
>> Is there a key command you can use to simulate this command?
>> Thanks Chris
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> .
>

I donn't want to turn it off, I know where that is.

I do want to access the autoplay window so I can either close it or choose an option, it does pop but I am not moved to it, how do I move to it in win10 please.

On 2/07/2017 10:39 p.m., Gene wrote:
I'm not sure autorun, in any form, is allowed in Windows 7 and higher. You are probably talking about autoplay and you would probably be far more likely to find what you want looking for autoplay if you want to turn it off.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 5:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I actually really should go to the ms accessability site and store a
coppy of the win10 shortcut keys somewhere on my drives.

Hi,
Thanks Chris

Chris Mullins

Have a look at this,worth saving as a browser bookmark.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts

Cheers
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: 2 July 2017 11:22

I actually really should go to the ms accessability site and store a coppy of the win10 shortcut keys somewhere on my drives.

Hi,
Thanks Chris

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 01:19 am, Andre Fisher wrote:
This is the correct answer.  These messages appear at the lower right side of the screen in what, for some reason that eludes me, Microsoft has termed toasts.  When a toast appears WinKey+V throws focus on to it (and you need to do so quickly since they will self-dismiss after a couple of seconds) and Enter opens up the subsequent context menu/selection dialog/etc.

As a general rule I simply ignore these toasts because I use File Explorer to dig around in virtually any device I plug in (including my smartphone) and if you do nothing the toast just goes away.  If you do choose a default behavior for that device, though, these toasts will cease to appear for it.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Niels Bohr

P.S. to Shaun:  You should definitely try the WinKey+V followed by enter, as after you've hit Enter you get what was essentially the autoplay context menu for a given device.

I have never seen autoplay pop up directly like it used to.  The toast always appears first in my experience.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Niels Bohr

Gene

They probably call them toasts because they want to be cute and analogize the item popping up to toast popping up in a toaster.  Another example of trying to be cute and just being annoying.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 10:28 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] and Tap to chose what happens.

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 01:19 am, Andre Fisher wrote:
This is the correct answer.  These messages appear at the lower right side of the screen in what, for some reason that eludes me, Microsoft has termed toasts.  When a toast appears WinKey+V throws focus on to it (and you need to do so quickly since they will self-dismiss after a couple of seconds) and Enter opens up the subsequent context menu/selection dialog/etc.

As a general rule I simply ignore these toasts because I use File Explorer to dig around in virtually any device I plug in (including my smartphone) and if you do nothing the toast just goes away.  If you do choose a default behavior for that device, though, these toasts will cease to appear for it.

--

Niels Bohr

Arlene

Loll! the funny farm? It seems to me windows ten is a lot of ribbins.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: July-02-17 2:15 AM

I always thought this was in effect like opening a context menu. its lazy application design, not to tell people another way of doing things. After all, shortcut keys exist in many menus, thank goodness, or Ribbons would have sent me to the funny farm by now.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 9:19 AM

Hi,
Thanks Chris

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

out of curiosity does the same shortcuts work on a windows 8 machine? if i remember right you would get the same thing to touch it to try and do some thing from the autoplay menu, but if you had a keyboard you had to set it under the settings.

I just tried the commands on my windows 10 machine and when you figured when to do it I was able to start a copy of nvda that way. I am guessing most people would do it from a usb stick and not a cd to start a copy of nvda.

I can write up something and or add a audio tutorial doing it this way so more people know how to do it. I was not aware or probably did not read all the windows shortcuts only the ones you use most of the time.

it will go to the nvda audio tutorials page and i am guessing will only work if the touch part message comes up if it is set to that or not changed.

Gene nz

On 7/3/2017 12:18 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

Cheers
Chris
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss

Hi,
Thanks Chris

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 12:24 pm, Arlene wrote:
It seems to me windows ten is a lot of ribbons.
Not any more than have been present since the ribbon interface became the default in the Windows 7 era, really.

The Ribbons are nothing more than a menu in a slightly different form, and navigating them really isn't that complicated once you decide you want to get the basic hang of it.  The method applies across programs and ribbons:

--

Niels Bohr

AAh ok thanks I will try that.

Its another keystroke but hey at least I know now.

On 3/07/2017 3:32 a.m., Brian Vogel wrote:
P.S. to Shaun: You should definitely try the WinKey+V followed by enter, as after you've hit Enter you get what was essentially the autoplay context menu for a given device.

I have never seen autoplay pop up directly like it used to. The toast always appears first in my experience.
--
Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063 (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

* * *The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.* * But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another* * profound truth.*

* ~ * *Niels Bohr*

Brian's Mail list account

I'm sure it can be done in 10, it certainly works in 7.
Toasts, I like mine burnt.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] and Tap to chose what happens.

P.S. to Shaun: You should definitely try the WinKey+V followed by enter, as after you've hit Enter you get what was essentially the autoplay context menu for a given device.

I have never seen autoplay pop up directly like it used to. The toast always appears first in my experience.
--
Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063 (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

* * *The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.* * But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another* * profound truth.*

* ~ * *Niels Bohr*

Chris Mullins

There is a section near the bottom of the web page that says:

Applies to Windows 10, 8.1 and 7.

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene New Zealand
Sent: 2 July 2017 22:22

Hi

out of curiosity does the same shortcuts work on a windows 8 machine? if i remember right you would get the same thing to touch it to try and do some thing from the autoplay menu, but if you had a keyboard you had to set it under the settings.

I just tried the commands on my windows 10 machine and when you figured when to do it I was able to start a copy of nvda that way. I am guessing most people would do it from a usb stick and not a cd to start a copy of nvda.

I can write up something and or add a audio tutorial doing it this way so more people know how to do it. I was not aware or probably did not read all the windows shortcuts only the ones you use most of the time.

it will go to the nvda audio tutorials page and i am guessing will only work if the touch part message comes up if it is set to that or not changed.

Gene nz

Cheers
Chris

Hi,
Thanks Chris

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Cool will be added in. I had a little play wrote up what to do and done a little audio tutorial. The first part with the installer version running so some one got the idea of when to do it and the message it would say etc. Then turned it off then done it  and the steps.

I will remember that one now just in case i need it again.

Gene nz

On 7/3/2017 10:46 PM, Chris Mullins wrote:

There is a section near the bottom of the web page that says:

Applies to Windows 10, 8.1 and 7.

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene New Zealand
Sent: 2 July 2017 22:22

Hi

Gene nz

Cheers
Chris

Hi,
Thanks Chris

--

--