Topics

My Favorite NVDA add ons and Why!

David Moore

Hi all,

I use NVDA 30 percent more, because of these add ons.

Here are my favorite add ons, and I explain why!

Here is the list!

NVDA add ons I love the most and why.

I want to share with all of you, which add ons really impress me the most, and the ones I am getting the most use out of by using them.

Number One:

Clip Contents Designer; Status: running; Version: 3.5; Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>

I very often want to copy some material, and append more material to the clipboard. I do this a lot to edit and create tutorials.

I love this add on, and it helps me a lot. Thank you!

Number two:

Clipspeak; Status: running; Version: 1.0; Author: Damien Sykes-Lindley <damien@...>  2 of 17

It gives me such peace of mind to hear what I have on the clip board, before I paste it somewhere. Thank you!

Number three:

Enhanced Aria; Status: running; Version: 1.3-dev; Author: Jose Manuel Delicado <jmdaweb@...>

I can now use two great TV web sites to stream movies and TV shows, because this add on lets me access the ARIA That I need to enjoy these streaming web sites. Thank you!

Number four:

Golden Cursor moves the mouse with the keyboard; Status: running; Version: 1.0-dev; Author: Salah Atair <atair1978@...>, Wafeeq Taher  5 of 17

I want all to know how much I use this add on. Here is an example.

My wife will move the mouse pointer to a place that I cannot find. I can then press a command to hear what pixel position the mouse pointer is on. I can save that pixel position, and my wife never has to put the mouse pointer there again. I just press a command, and it brings up all saved mouse pointer positions that I have saved. I label my saved pixel positions, like fast forward in Groove, for example. I can open the list of saved pixel positions, and arrow to that Groove button, and press enter, and the actual mouse pointer goes right there.

Sometimes, you cannot get the mouse pointer to route to where the review cursor is located, and with one time of sighted assistance, you can save the pixel position where the sighted person put the mouse pointer, and you can go back there yourself from then on. Thank you very much, and I pray you keep developing and supporting this add on!

Number five:

Lambda math editor addon; Status: running; Version: 1.1.8-dev; Author: Alberto Zanella <lapostadialberto@...>  6 of 17

This add on, has allowed me to tutor highr math concepts on my on line math tutoring business to sighted people.

I am getting access to more hier math topics, and I can use this add on to read the other person's work when they send it back to me. Thank you!

Number six:

Place markers; Status: running; Version: 8.1-dev; Author: Noelia <nrm1977@...>, Chris <llajta2012@...>  7 of 17

This add on has saved me so much time every day. Many times a day, I put a place marker somewhere that I will return to later. This is the place marker feature in JAWS. Thank you! This saves me a lot of time.

Number Seven

I absolutely love this add on. Many times, I am in a program when I want to here the version of the application. I really missed doing thiswith JAWS. Now, I can use this feature with NVDA. Thank you!

Number Eight:

Speak Passwords; Status: running; Version: 1.0; Author: Tyler Spivey <tspivey@...>  10 of 17

This is priceless. I love being to hear the characters I type in instead of hearing * for every character. Thank you!

Number Nine:

Speech history review and copying; Status: running; Version: 2017.05.13; Author: [u'Tyler Spivey', u'James Scholes']  11 of 17

I love this add on. I am using it as I type this article. I down arrow through my add ons, and I just press F12 to paste what NVDA said to the clip board. Again, this is the speach history in JAWS. These add ons are allowing us to use NVDA and get these JAWS features. Thank you!

Number Ten:

Insert Symbols; Status: running; Version: 1.0; Author: Erion <rob.mail@...>  12 of 17

I can insert hundreds of symbols in a document, Facebook post, or email, that I never had to choose from with JAWS. There are so many symbols that you can choose from, I have not heard of many of them. I absolutely love this add on! Thank you!

Number Eleven:

Virtual Review; Status: running; Version: 2.2; Author: Rui Batista <ruiandrebatista@...> and NVDA Addon Team  13 of 17

This add on, speeds up tasks that I often do. It is not object navigation, but I can get access to text and more on the screen so quickly with this add on! Thank you!

VLC Media Player; Status: running; Version: 1.2; Author: Javi Dominguez <fjavids@...>  14 of 17

I love using VLC Media Player. This add on, allows me to tab and hear many of the controls on the screen, and I have access to the repeat and shuffle toggles. Thank you!

Weather Plus; Status: running; Version: 4.4 15.06.2017; Author: Adriano Barbieri <adrianobarb@...>.  15 of 17

I really love this weather add on. I use it constantly. My wife asks me about the weather. and I simply press NVDA+Shift+W and get the forcast. What I like most, is that it is copied to the clipboard, and I can paste the entire forecast into a text document like Note Pad.

I love this add on, because I have many cities that I can find out the weather in. Thank you so much!

Number Twelve

Windows 10 App Essentials; Status: running; Version: 20170705-dev; Author: Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>, Derek Riemer <driemer.riemer@...> and others

Thank you Joseph! I have used this add on to get much more accessibility in universal apps, the start area, settings app, and other places. This add on has allowed me to use many of the win10 universal apps for a long time! Thank you!

Number Thirteen:

Windows 10 Calculator; Status: running; Version: 1.0; Author: Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>  17 of 17

I use the Windows 10 calculator all of the time. I do scientific calculations with it many times a day. This add on has really helped me a lot. Thank You!

This is it!

The summary, is that many features of JAWS are in these add ons. NVDA is much more powerful with these add ons, and I appreciate all of your time and work to make these add ons, and do all that you do for the NVDA community. I now use NVDA 90 percent of the time, because of these add ons. They have really made a difference, and I want you all to know!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Pascal Lambert

Hi David,

Thank you for providing the list of addons.  I would have never taken the time to look for them.  Computer is not my priority as I only use it for what I need.

Blessings

Pascal

[...]

Hi Pascal and all!

NVDA add on Number 7 is:

Say Product Name and Version; Status: running; Version: 1.0.2012060901; Author: Patrick ZAJDA <patrick@...>  8 of 17

For some reason, the name of that add on did not get pasted under Number Seven.

Pascal, you are so welcome. I personally use all of these add ons all of the time with NVDA. I encourage you to find these add ons and try them all out. They greatly enhance the NVDA experience, and they allow you to do so much more. Let me know if you can find them, and how they work for you!

I wanted to give these awesome NVDA add on developers some input concerning why I like using these add ons so much. I put the same email on the NVDA add ons group.

Have a great one, Pascal!

[...]

Hello david good app choices

<smiles>
Hank

On 7/7/2017 3:54 PM, Pascal Lambert wrote:

[...]

Thanks!

I want the developers of these add ons, to know that people use them and really get a lot more out of NVDA.

[...]

Rui Fontes

Strange you are not using the Systray addon that replicate the Insert+F11 of Jaws...

Rui

Clip Contents Designer; Status: running; Version: 3.5; Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@gmail.com>

Clipspeak; Status: running; Version: 1.0; Author: Damien Sykes-Lindley <damien@dcpendleton.plus.com> 2 of 17

Enhanced Aria; Status: running; Version: 1.3-dev; Author: Jose Manuel Delicado <jmdaweb@hotmail.com>

Golden Cursor moves the mouse with the keyboard; Status: running; Version: 1.0-dev; Author: Salah Atair <atair1978@gmail.com>, Wafeeq Taher 5 of 17

Lambda math editor addon; Status: running; Version: 1.1.8-dev; Author: Alberto Zanella <lapostadialberto@gmail.com> 6 of 17

Place markers; Status: running; Version: 8.1-dev; Author: Noelia <nrm1977@gmail.com>, Chris <llajta2012@gmail.com> 7 of 17

Speak Passwords; Status: running; Version: 1.0; Author: Tyler Spivey <tspivey@pcdesk.net> 10 of 17

Insert Symbols; Status: running; Version: 1.0; Author: Erion <rob.mail@freemail.hu> 12 of 17

Virtual Review; Status: running; Version: 2.2; Author: Rui Batista <ruiandrebatista@gmail.com> and NVDA Addon Team 13 of 17

VLC Media Player; Status: running; Version: 1.2; Author: Javi Dominguez <fjavids@gmail.com> 14 of 17

Weather Plus; Status: running; Version: 4.4 15.06.2017; Author: Adriano Barbieri <adrianobarb@yahoo.it>. 15 of 17

Windows 10 App Essentials; Status: running; Version: 20170705-dev; Author: Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>, Derek Riemer <driemer.riemer@gmail.com> and others

Windows 10 Calculator; Status: running; Version: 1.0; Author: Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> 17 of 17

I use the Windows 10 calculator all of the time. I do scientific calculations with it many times a day. This add on has really helped me a lot. Thank You!

This is it!

The summary, is that many features of JAWS are in these add ons. NVDA is much more powerful with these add ons, and I appreciate all of your time and work to make these add ons, and do all that you do for the NVDA community. I now use NVDA 90 percent of the time, because of these add ons. They have really made a difference, and I want you all to know!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

hi david.
thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us.
could you please email me the list privately?
i am afraid that i lose it and cant find them again.
i send for people who say nvda is not useful and only jaws is the best
screen reader which we can do everything we want and provide our need
and jaws only has our desired features.

On 7/8/17, Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@tiflotecnia.com> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

and one question more and i appreciate you/
how can i use vlc player without addon?
i need the repeate and shuffle feature.
thanks so much and God bless you.

On 7/8/17, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Author:
[...]

Hi Rui!

I do not use the Systray add on, because I always press Windows key+B and just arrow through what is in the System tray, and press applications, or shift+F10 on one I want to right click on. With NVDA, if you use object navigation to get to those items in your system tray, you can route the mouse pointer to that system tray item, and click with your mouse to click on it.

Have a great one!

[...]

Hi Nasrin!

You do not need the add on. I believe you can find the repeat and shuffle features in the play back menu of VLC!

Take care!

On 7/8/17, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:

> hi david.

> thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us.

> could you please email me the list privately?

> i am afraid that i lose it and cant find them again.

> i send for people who say nvda is not useful and only jaws is the best

> screen reader which we can do everything we want and provide our need

> and jaws only has our desired features.

> On 7/8/17, Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@...> wrote:

>> Strange you are not using the Systray addon that replicate the Insert+F11

>> of

>> Jaws...

>> Rui

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It has enlightened me to some of the slightly non obvious uses of them. I think that in the descriptions on the web site it is a little clinical in that it does not always suggest that they can be useful for doing things not immediately obvious, so posts like this can be very useful to those who may think add ons are for geeks.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Clip Contents Designer; Status: running; Version: 3.5; Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@gmail.com <mailto:nrm1977@gmail.com> >

Clipspeak; Status: running; Version: 1.0; Author: Damien Sykes-Lindley <damien@dcpendleton.plus.com <mailto:damien@dcpendleton.plus.com> > 2 of 17

Enhanced Aria; Status: running; Version: 1.3-dev; Author: Jose Manuel Delicado <jmdaweb@hotmail.com <mailto:jmdaweb@hotmail.com> >

Golden Cursor moves the mouse with the keyboard; Status: running; Version: 1.0-dev; Author: Salah Atair <atair1978@gmail.com <mailto:atair1978@gmail.com> >, Wafeeq Taher 5 of 17

Lambda math editor addon; Status: running; Version: 1.1.8-dev; Author: Alberto Zanella <lapostadialberto@gmail.com <mailto:lapostadialberto@gmail.com> > 6 of 17

Place markers; Status: running; Version: 8.1-dev; Author: Noelia <nrm1977@gmail.com <mailto:nrm1977@gmail.com> >, Chris <llajta2012@gmail.com <mailto:llajta2012@gmail.com> > 7 of 17

Speak Passwords; Status: running; Version: 1.0; Author: Tyler Spivey <tspivey@pcdesk.net <mailto:tspivey@pcdesk.net> > 10 of 17

Insert Symbols; Status: running; Version: 1.0; Author: Erion <rob.mail@freemail.hu <mailto:rob.mail@freemail.hu> > 12 of 17

Virtual Review; Status: running; Version: 2.2; Author: Rui Batista <ruiandrebatista@gmail.com <mailto:ruiandrebatista@gmail.com> > and NVDA Addon Team 13 of 17

VLC Media Player; Status: running; Version: 1.2; Author: Javi Dominguez <fjavids@gmail.com <mailto:fjavids@gmail.com> > 14 of 17

Weather Plus; Status: running; Version: 4.4 15.06.2017; Author: Adriano Barbieri <adrianobarb@yahoo.it <mailto:adrianobarb@yahoo.it> >. 15 of 17

Windows 10 App Essentials; Status: running; Version: 20170705-dev; Author: Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com <mailto:joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> >, Derek Riemer <driemer.riemer@gmail.com <mailto:driemer.riemer@gmail.com> > and others

Windows 10 Calculator; Status: running; Version: 1.0; Author: Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com <mailto:joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> > 17 of 17

I use the Windows 10 calculator all of the time. I do scientific calculations with it many times a day. This add on has really helped me a lot. Thank You!

This is it!

The summary, is that many features of JAWS are in these add ons. NVDA is much more powerful with these add ons, and I appreciate all of your time and work to make these add ons, and do all that you do for the NVDA community. I now use NVDA 90 percent of the time, because of these add ons. They have really made a difference, and I want you all to know!

David Moore

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think a lot of use have so many things that might show up in the syss tray that we take the time to stop them showing if we don't need them and select them from the tray as there are only a few left. the sys tray add on is good, for examply only on machines where you are not familiar with all the stuff you run that shows up in the sys tray or items that do not work from keyboard in the tray. Luckily I have none of those.

I'm now using clipspweak, and resource monitor as that is very handy if things start to stutter or slow down as a half way house before running task manager etc.

[...]

I noticed on acb radio during the week since SVO were sponsors lots of Jaws crawling was going on and special offers during the convention, but even if its cheap then, their way of working updates will still cripple many peoples budgets.
[...]

I don't think you can unless its changed in the last year or so, unless you can use the mouse.
[...]

Author:
[...]

In most cases the last part is not needed. Many programs are better behaved these days.
[...]

Yes to a point this is so, but its not exactly fast to do.
I'm not using it at the moment but if you want a player that, out of the box will play almost everything without oodles of codecs it is very good.
[...]

Author:
[...]

i wish that i had these useful addons in nvda installation file by default.
like jaws which does not require any addon.
for me, knowing the version of programs, knowing about copy, peist cut
and also some feature that i can copy all of my desire parts of file
and peist them together i need.
when i copy some part of file, i should peist and again select second
part to copy and peist.

[...]

Author:
[...]

Gene

Add ons, except for features found in the Windows 10 add on, will almost never be added to NVDA as included features.  You are creating problems and inconveniences for yourself that are entirely of your own making.  You refuse to even try add ons and insist on not using them and you have stated that you don't use add ons many times.

I won't write about this again, but I'm writing specifically in response to your message to try to get you to consider at least trying add ons.  Are the probably thousands of people who use NVDA add ons and who report no problems all wrong?  Doesn't that make you at least wonder if your refusal is logical and makes sense?

Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2017 6:33 AM

<bglists@...> wrote:
> Yes to a point this is so, but its not exactly fast to do.
>  I'm not using it at the moment but if you want a player that, out of the
> box will play almost everything without oodles of codecs it is very good.
>  Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

And besides, I have to completely disagree that jaws doesn't require add-ons.  Everytime you use a script in jaws (which nearly every program does) you're using the equivalent of an NVDA add-on.

So, saying you won't use add-ons isn't doing you (or us) any favors, since you're going to keep asking here to accomplish things, then disregard said information because it will sometimes requie an add-on.

Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2017 6:33 AM

<bglists@...> wrote:
> Yes to a point this is so, but its not exactly fast to do.
>  I'm not using it at the moment but if you want a player that, out of the
> box will play almost everything without oodles of codecs it is very good.
>  Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

but many people do not use script or even dont know how to make script for jaws.
i heard that making script is more simple than creating addon for nvda.
because making addon for nvda require knowing python language, but
making script for jaws dont.
i did not say the people who use addon are wrong!
they want to use and one person like me can use only install file of
nvda without addons.

<bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io
<mailto:bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>> wrote:
Yes to a point this is so, but its not exactly fast to do.
I'm not using it at the moment but if you want a player that, out
of the
box will play almost everything without oodles of codecs it is very
good.

Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting
'Brian Gaff'