From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's
Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Sonntag, 9. Juli 2017 11:18
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Amazon Echo and the app with nvda

Hi there I got an Amazon Echo the other day to make things easier for
finding radio stations and other stuff, but I did have issues with the App
as the synth every time it read the A word triggered the echo and the
change in state was actively updating the app contents as I was trying to
use it!
I have now decided to do the following
I'm going to replace the name that shall not be spoken with the string,
The A word in the dictionary so hopefully I can finally get some skills
sorted without complete chaos.

I'd advise this for anyone with a device like this.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Joshua Hendrickson

Why not just wear a pair of headphones when configuring the Alexa app
on your computer. That way the Alexa Echo wouldn't hear her name
being spoken by NVDA.

On 7/9/17, Ralf Kefferpuetz <ralf.kefferpuetz@elra-consulting.de> wrote:
Brian,
for that reason I changed the code-word to "Computer" from within the Alexa
app.

Regards,
Ralf

Hi there I got an Amazon Echo the other day to make things easier for
finding radio stations and other stuff, but I did have issues with the App
as the synth every time it read the A word triggered the echo and the
change in state was actively updating the app contents as I was trying to
use it!
I have now decided to do the following
I'm going to replace the name that shall not be spoken with the string,
The A word in the dictionary so hopefully I can finally get some skills
sorted without complete chaos.

I'd advise this for anyone with a device like this.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Joshua Hendrickson

Joshua Hendrickson

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Because I don't want to, particularly today its 27 degrees c here today.
[...]

Unfortunately whatever you change it to, like computer is a well used word.
It claims it can only be amazon or echo on my instructions.

No my way works well as one does not encounter alexa very often in normal screenreader use apart from the app or nasty people who email me with Alexa set a recurring alarm for 3 AM