FW: [win10] Audio guide: Windows Insider Preview build 16232 guide posted

Hi NVDA community,

In case you want to know what’s happening in Windows 10 development (and a treat for those who’d like to hear what Windows OneCore voices sound like), here’s an overview of things included in latest Windows 10 preview build. Enjoy.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Sunday, July 9, 2017 1:01 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Audio guide: Windows Insider Preview build 16232 guide posted

Hi all,

Another item in Windows 10 build progression series, this time on build 16232 is now up:

http://www.josephsl.net/files/WinTen%2016232.mp3

Topics covered include:

  • My People
  • GPU activity tracking in Task Manager
  • Narrator user guide
  • Brief overview of new braille support improvements
  • Cloud-based image recognition service
  • Always on scan mode
  • Control+Windows+N to open Settings/Ease of Access/Narrator
  • Settings/Cortana category and other changes
  • Settings/System/About and Remote Desktop configuration changes
  • Status messages for individual updates in Windows Update
  • Settings/Privacy/App requested downloads
  • Full screen mode in Edge
  • Changing URL’s of favorites
  • Volume mixer and universal apps
  • Dictating text in edit fields such as Notepad
  • Emoji panel and keyboard-based emoji entry and search
  • Controlled folder access in Windows Defender Security Center

Briefly mentioned:

  • Windows Subsystem for Linux does not require developer mode
  • Grouping app windows in Task Manager
  • Fluent design system
  • Mixed reality and teleportation
  • Video playback settings in Settings app
  • Windows 10 Mobile in maintenance mode
  • Windows Insider Program for Windows Server
  • Changes to branch names (e.g. Current Branch is Semi-Annual Pilot)

In addition, the following topics could not be covered due to time constraints (today’s audio guide is an hour long one):

  • Input learning in Narrator (Caps lock+1)
  • Full extent of braille options in Narrator
  • Cortana interaction changes
  • OneDrive files on demand
  • Windows Sonic for Headphones (mostly dealing with hardware setup required)
  • Pinning websites in Edge to taskbar
  • Read aloud in PDF’s and books in Edge
  • Power throttling (hardware setup required)
  • Windows Hello (hardware setup required)
  • Beam/Mixer broadcasting (don’t have an active Xbox Live account)

Corrections:

  • In the beginning of the guide I state that the last guide was on build 15048, but it was 15042.
  • I wanted to give a word about my impression of Fall Creators Update but ran out of time. Similarly, I could not include upgrade advice for same reasons.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Joseph

Brennen Kinch

hi would it be too much trouble to ask if this could be separated in the sections it would be easier to get to certain parts that way

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 9, 2017, at 4:07 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

kavein thran

hello joseph, a very good work from your site,
thanks a buch. will the uncovered topics be covered in future?

thanks

On Jul 9, 2017, at 4:07 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Hi,
I might talk about them in subsequent podcasts (for some, provided that I set up my hardware correctly).
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

I am interested to hear your thoughts on narator

fore the fall release of windows
you mentioned on not having enuff time in the audio guide
thanks
Hank

On 7/9/2017 11:37 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Let's discuss that on the Win10 forum.
[...]

Hello can you please see if i am still subscribed?

I haven't gotten messages fro that group in a while.

On 7/10/2017 9:34 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, you didn't get my original message sent yesterday to that group? If you didn't, write to me privately (or perhaps check your junk folder).
[...]

Stanley Haupt <bookworm@...>

Your message came through.

Stanley

[...]

Hello I still am not seeing any messages from the windows10 forum

On 7/10/2017 12:42 PM, Stanley Haupt wrote:
Your message came through.

Stanley

[...]

Tony Ballou

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for this preview.  I recently signed up to the windows insiders group, and am looking to get a copy of the fall creators update. I  went to the install link on the website, and I guess it installs in the background because I can seem to find out if it is installing or not is there a way to tell that you are getting it?  I have several clients that will be upgraded on the 17th when it comes out,  and I kind of want to get the jump on things so that I can be ready for their questions about new changes and what effects they will have on their use of windows 10 with the latest version of NVDA. All help and guidance appreciated my friend. Thanks much.

Tony

On 7/9/2017 4:07 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Windows 10 upgrade: you’ll see posts on Win10 forum (not this list) about all this.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Another group to subscribe to when I get win 10 again nearer the big C word.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-