NVDA says Edit box unavailable and Getting Mode Messages Spoken

Pauline Smith <paulinesmithh@...>

Good Evening,

How do you get NVDA to say "focus" or "browse" mode depending upon where you are?  I get the sounds when entering and exiting an edit box, but do not get the spoken prompts.

Pauline

hi

it might not be going into focus mode correctly. If i do not hear it when i say go into a edit box like you said i would then just use the nvda key + space bar to make sure. I have mine set to say words like focus mode browse mode so i know which one i am in.

Gene nz

On 7/11/2017 8:53 AM, Don H wrote:
Having a issue where I hit the letter e to move to a edit box on a web page and it says the edit box is unavailable.  However I can hit enter and still enter a value in the edit box.  So it is saying it is unavailable but it really is.

This is with the latest version of NVDA on a win 10 system

The problem is observed on the sams club auction site when moving to a edit box to enter a bid amount.

Don H

under the NVDA prefereences and browse

On 7/11/2017 8:53 AM, Don H wrote:
Having a issue where I hit the letter e to move to a edit box on a web page and it says the edit box is unavailable.  However I can hit enter and still enter a value in the edit box.  So it is saying it is unavailable but it really is.

This is with the latest version of NVDA on a win 10 system

The problem is observed on the sams club auction site when moving to a edit box to enter a bid amount.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

hi

look for the following settings under the browse mode settings called Audio indication of focus and browse modes and uncheck this box, then tab down to the ok button then press the enter key.

instead of sounds now you will hear browse mode and focus mode that is what all of my machines are set to.

Gene nz

On 7/11/2017 8:53 AM, Don H wrote:
Having a issue where I hit the letter e to move to a edit box on a web page and it says the edit box is unavailable.  However I can hit enter and still enter a value in the edit box.  So it is saying it is unavailable but it really is.

This is with the latest version of NVDA on a win 10 system

The problem is observed on the sams club auction site when moving to a edit box to enter a bid amount.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Also save the configuration settings with NVDA control C.

On 7/11/2017 8:53 AM, Don H wrote:

Having a issue where I hit the letter e to move to a edit box on a web page and it says the edit box is unavailable.  However I can hit enter and still enter a value in the edit box.  So it is saying it is unavailable but it really is.

This is with the latest version of NVDA on a win 10 system

The problem is observed on the sams club auction site when moving to a edit box to enter a bid amount.

Pauline Smith <paulinesmithh@...>

Thank you, gentlemen for your prompt response to my query.  Changed the setting and it works as mentioned.

On 7/11/2017 8:53 AM, Don H wrote:
Having a issue where I hit the letter e to move to a edit box on a web page and it says the edit box is unavailable.  However I can hit enter and still enter a value in the edit box.  So it is saying it is unavailable but it really is.

This is with the latest version of NVDA on a win 10 system

The problem is observed on the sams club auction site when moving to a edit box to enter a bid amount.

The default is for NVDA to save settings on exit.  So control NVDA key c to save the configuration is redundant.  However. I believe that save settings on exit shouldn't be on by default and that it is better not to use it.  If you have it on, you may be experimenting with settings and accidentally save settings you don’t want to save when you close the program.  I believe that saving settings should require an action on the users part.  If you turn this setting off, then control NVDA key c will have to be used when you change a setting and want to save it permanently.

To change the setting, open the NVDA menu with NVDA key n.
Down arrow to preferences and press enter.  This is a submenu.  You are on general settings.  Press enter.  Tab once, as I recall, to a check box that says save settings on exit and uncheck it with the space bar.  Then tab to and activate the ok button.  The dialog will close.  Permanently save the setting with control NVDA key C.

Now you can experiment as much as you want with settings and nothing will be permanently saved.

Sent: Monday, July 10, 2017 9:41 PM

On 7/11/2017 8:53 AM, Don H wrote:

Having a issue where I hit the letter e to move to a edit box on a web page and it says the edit box is unavailable.  However I can hit enter and still enter a value in the edit box.  So it is saying it is unavailable but it really is.

This is with the latest version of NVDA on a win 10 system

The problem is observed on the sams club auction site when moving to a edit box to enter a bid amount.

gene,
if i uncheck save setting when exit, do i loos my previous settings?
and what does this mean exactly?
if i uncheck it, after restart nvda my settings return in to the previous one?

On 7/11/2017 8:53 AM, Don H wrote:

Having a issue where I hit the letter e to move to a edit box on a web
page and it says the edit box is unavailable. However I can hit enter and
still enter a value in the edit box. So it is saying it is unavailable but
it really is.

This is with the latest version of NVDA on a win 10 system

The problem is observed on the sams club auction site when moving to a
edit box to enter a bid amount.

material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are
in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of
the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which
locations (or location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert
exam.

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New
Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA
screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert
exam.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Rosemarie Chavarria

You don't need to restart NVDA. Just uncheck "save settings on exit" and tab to ok. Hit space bar on it and save the settings with NVDA control C. Why do you need to restart NVDA?

related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of
[...]

If you don't save settings you have changed with control NVDA key c before closing the program, when you reopen the program, the old settings will be used.  If you tell NVDA not to save settings on exit, you won't loose any settings you have changed in this session or in any future session until you close the program without manually saving the changes you made in that session first.  If you want to try a different synthesizer and don't save settings automatically on exit, you can try it and the synthesizer you were using before will be used when you run the program again.  If you want to use different puncctuation settings and not have them be permanent, they won't be if you don't manually save them.  Who knows what people might want to change temporarily and don't want to accidentally change.

I consider the default save on exit setting to be a really bad default setting.  It's an excellent example of too much automation that easily may have adverse effects on users.

Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 12:07 AM

On 7/11/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> The default is for NVDA to save settings on exit.  So control NVDA key c to
> save the configuration is redundant.  However. I believe that save settings
> on exit shouldn't be on by default and that it is better not to use it.  If
> you have it on, you may be experimenting with settings and accidentally save
> settings you don’t want to save when you close the program.  I believe that
> saving settings should require an action on the users part.  If you turn
> this setting off, then control NVDA key c will have to be used when you
> change a setting and want to save it permanently.
>
> To change the setting, open the NVDA menu with NVDA key n.
> Down arrow to preferences and press enter.  This is a submenu.  You are on
> general settings.  Press enter.  Tab once, as I recall, to a check box that
> says save settings on exit and uncheck it with the space bar.  Then tab to
> and activate the ok button.  The dialog will close.  Permanently save the
> setting with control NVDA key C.
>
> Now you can experiment as much as you want with settings and nothing will be
> permanently saved.
>
> Gene

thanks gene for your greatt guides as always.
i need some temporary setting for specific times, but not for always.
for example: when i read wikipedia pages, i dont want to hear link in
lines, but dont want to disable announcing links forever!
or sometimes about particular punctuation which i want to know in specific time.
so, i agree with you and i should uncheck save settings on exit!
thanks again gene and God bless you!

On 7/11/2017 8:53 AM, Don H wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

What is really needed is an undo last change. as work is underway to make all the settings in nvda appear as one dialogue with tabs then this might well be something to consider at this time, ie save and exit or exit witout saving.
IE apply.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.