Microsoft Store not accessible for KNFB purchase

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi,

Has anyone been able to access the Microsoft Store to purchase the KNFB app currently on special offer? I bought the app today but could not do so until I had sighted assistance because NVDA could not speak the Microsoft Store screen. I was able to set up the purchase and complete my payment information using NVDA. When I then opened the Store to complete the purchase, I could not take any action. My sighted helper was able to prompt me as I tabbed down to each of the buttons to confirm the various parts of the sale but NVDA was forced to remain silent.

As soon as the purchase was completed, I was returned to the marketing web page where everything was accessible.

I intend reporting this to Microsoft but I would like to know that other people are having the same trouble. If not, what did you do to overcome the problem?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Jacques <lists4js@...>

When I purchased the app when it initially was on special, I recall the last prompt for the Microsoft account password not being reported by NVDA. I eventually fired up Narrator, which cleared up the mystery. So, yes, there is an issue, at least with NVDA, but not Narrator. I have unfortunately not tried another screen reader on the MS store to compare behaviour for that screen.

On 11/07/2017 17:19, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:
[...]

It works on my computer. Which Windows 10 release and NVDA version are you
using? For best experience, Windows 10 Creators Update or later is required.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie

Jacques <lists4js@...>

When the KNFB app initially was on special, Creators update has not yet been released. I'm glad if it has subsequently been fixed. As for NVDA version, I always run the latest snapshots, so the Windows interface must have been the issue at the time.

On 11/07/2017 17:31, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
[...]

Windows UI and EdgeHTML issue, subsequently fixed in Creators Update for the most part.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

No, I was able to find the password prompt OK with NVDA so theyu must
adjusted that bit!

The real problem is the store screen itself.

All the best,

Cearbhall

-----
version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.

[...]

Okay... Have you tried using object navigation to move around the screen?
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

As a matter of interest, how come Microsoft use such non standard code for their store. Surely more would use it if it worked on all browsers and used standard methods of access.
I know you cannot answer for Microsoft, but this does seem just a little like the way Apple does things, shooting themselves in the foot deliberately.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Joseph,

I was using Firefox version 54.0.1, Microsoft Windows (OS Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413)
And(NVDA Version: 2017.2

The store was completely inaccessible but were you using MS Edge as the browser? I haven't tried that.

All the best,

Cearbhall

looks
I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.

[...]

No, I was using the native Windows store app.
[...]

My previous message says it all really.
I just do not understand why sites should be deliberately made to only work in a specified browser, its bonkers.
[...]

That's something new I've learned today! I never heard of the "Native Store App" before. I have just opened my windows search and found this is on my PC already. I cannot see how to use it. I put KNFB into the search tool in the app and it failed to find it. Where can I read what to do? Would you like to make a few suggestions?

All the best,

Cearbhall

?---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I just looked to see what it is selling for. it is a very good price at just under 30 us dollars. Will that same app work with your scanner or is it just phones? I have not had a full read of it yet.

I also did a basic tutorial on the store i think it is written and audio but did not buy any thing only just downloaded a free program etc.

The tutorials are if written still a draft the audio one should be right to go. It is more a over view.

If it does my scanner also it is sold.

Gene nz

On 7/12/2017 9:03 AM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:
[...]

To use Windows Store and any other universal app, getting to know object navigation is crucial (NVDA key+Numpad arrows). To find something, press Control+E, type something and use up or down arrows to review suggestions.
[...]

just read it it will do the desk top computer but does not say if it works with your scanner of which i would like it to do when i scan stuff then ocr it.

[...]

Gene,

Works like a dream! KNFB found my canon scanner automatically and without my having to make any configuration changes or do any settings.

Where could I find your tutorial?

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Still on the computer in draft format. That is the written one not sure how much more it may or may not need.

The audio one is a walk through etc but can drop box it and also send you the draft that is written.

it will be posted up to the website to the nvda tutorials for windows 10 page  hopefully later on this week. I will also let the list know when it does go up there.

I just noticed there is 2 files but will listen to them both. One could be not worth listening to or it might be the same files with a different name.

The link to the drop box account is https://www.dropbox.com/s/yytdv27045j0rmg/How%20to%20use%20the%20Windows%2010%20store%20with%20the%20NVDA%20screen%20reader.MP3?dl=0

The person will also need to know how to use object navigation or text review on some parts which is covered briefly. I did not buy a app though.

I do not think i can add attachment but will give it a whirl.

This is for the written one so may need to be tided up.

It looks as though you made me spend some money on getting it i read it works with the scanner etc and made my mind up. Does it work perfectly with nvda and screen readers i would say yes.

Gene nz

On 7/12/2017 9:42 AM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

[...]

not sure but this is the second audio one one was better than the other if i remember right i do not think it is the same one.

the link to this one is https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5zen1gka5inkoq/How%20to%20use%20the%20Windows%2010%20store%20with%20the%20NVDA%20screen%20reader2.MP3?dl=0

Only one of the audio ones will go up there to the webpage later on.

[...]

I would be happy to review the tutorial for you and report anything that works or does not work if that would be any use to you.

I am delighted with the clarity of the scan I got with KNFB app. It scanned a tiny instruction booklet on a set of headphones that was in two columns and separated them perfectly. It works brilliantly with NVDA. It does not install to the desktop . I am told that this is because it is an app rather than an executable program. I launch it from the start menu.

I tried it on an image pdf that is scanned from a typed letter and it converted it perfectly and swiftly. In fact it was up and reading before I could switch over to it from the source file list!

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

I do not think the attachment went or i did not add it.

If it can not be done this way i will copy and paste into the email.

How to use the Windows 10 store with the NVDA screen reader

The Windows 10 store is a metro app. This means it does not have the classic style menu that people liked which went from left to right within your program.

Locating the Windows store app

There are a couple of ways you can get to it. The first is to type in the search box when the Windows key is pressed the letters st. One of the results will be for the Windows store app. For example Store, Trusted Windows Store app

When it appears you can press the Enter key on it and then the Windows store will then be opened. The other way is to locate the Windows store app on the task bar.

Navigating the Windows 10 store with NVDA

When the Windows 10 store app has been opened NVDA should land on the home tab. You should be able to use the right and left arrow keys to navigate the TABS there. You should hear NVDA say starting from the left say HOME tab. As you arrow to the right you should hear NVDA say APPS tab, GAMES tab, MUSIC tab, FILMS and TV tab.

Using the left arrow key you should hear them in the reverse order.

To get to any of these tabs quickly within the app you can use the CTRL key + TAB  key.

Using the CTRL key + TAB key should read them from left to right and adding the SHIFT key along with the other two keys will do it in reverse.

Keys that you can use in the Windows store

In most cases, you will be using the tab key to navigate around. The shift/tab key will take you back in the reverse direction. The space bar to press on the button, or enter key to bring up a popup Window or enter key on a link and the arrow keys to navigate some menus such as under the user profile section. The ESCAPE key to dismiss a Window. In some cases you will also have to use object navigation to get to some parts of the metro app.

User profile button

When you press the space bar on the User profile button a pop up window will come up giving you some options. These will be sign in, add work or school account, downloads and updates, settings and feedback.

Searching for an app in the store

There are many apps etcetera and You can download desktop apps from the Store provided that the app is a partial universal app  in the store. The quickest way to find something is to do a search in the store. You can use the CTRL key + E to jump you to the search box quickly. It is a matter of typing in what you want to search for in the store (for example Pink Floyd money). It should then do a search after you have pressed the Enter key on the search button.

When it has compiled a list of results you can then use the tab key to get to the results.When you tab the first thing you will hear is list, you can not interact with it. Tab again and there will be a button the name of the button will change each time. In this case it says Pink Floyd. Press the space bar on it and it will give you a description of it. NVDA will land on the share link, tab again and NVDA should start reading the description given. You can only use the review text commands if you want to re read the results. You will need to tab between the different sections and use the review text commands to read what is there. After you have finished press the ESCAPE key and that screen will disappear.

There may be another button you can interact with depending on the results.

Tab again and it will show a link saying show all songs link.Tab again and it will give you a list of songs you can arrow through.It will give the name of the song and the price of it. There are a couple of other links you can interact with for more results if you keep on tabbing it will take you back to where you started. For example home 1 of 5

.

You will notice when you are on either of the 5 tabs mentioned if you wanted to look say for a app you would press the space bar on it. You would then tab to the search box then enter in your search criteria then press the enter key on the search button. So if the words KNFB reader were typed in it would do a search for that app and then give you some results. It is then a matter of interacting with either the buttons, links or lists.

The first button you come to in the result would change again. For example KNFB Reader Average rating of 3.3 out of five stars. Price $154.90.

Press the space bar on it and a screen will open. You can tab through the section there and have them read out. You can not interact with the arrow keys on the screen that has come up, but can interact with it with the review text commands in NVDA. You will be given the option to buy the app or Redeem a code but you must have money in your account. With free apps this is not necessary.

You can tab through the different sections there. It will show sections like ratings, screen shots, developers web sites, reviews  and other related app etc.    It will ask for permission to use certain parts of your computer etc  If you keep on tabbing it will take you back to where you started at the apps tab.

If you decide to click on a app another popup type screen will come up. It will give you the option to download it and install it, cancel it or pause it.

After it has been installed it will give you the option to update your apps or tab to see what apps you have in the list below.

When you close the above screen you can go back at any time to see what metro apps have been installed. When the store comes up you will need to tab to the user profile button then press the ENTER key. A pop up window will come up where you can arrow down to locate the downloads and updates section. When located press the enter key on it and the list of metro apps will come up where you can arrow up or down them to see what is there.

After you have finished you can close out of that section.

To uninstall a  metro app from your computer

If you want to uninstall any of the metro apps from your computeryou will need to locate them under the all apps list. When you have located the app you want to uninstall, press the applications key on your keyboard. If there is none you can use the shift/f10 key to get the same result. When the context menu comes up arrow down until you hear NVDA say more sub menu then say uninstall. Press the ENTER key on it and a message will come up saying Confirm Uninstall – This app and its related info will be uninstalled. Press the space bar on the button it will be then uninstalled now from your computer.