Important advisory for today's next snapshot: if using Windows 10, disable OCR add-on

Hi everyone,

The following advisory from the add-ons community is for people using NVDA next snapshots on Windows 10:

Due to UWP OCR feature introduced in today’s next snapshot, please disable OCR add-on if you are on Windows 10 and using next snapshots. This is because NVDA+R is now a native NVDA command to recognize text on screen using a chosen OCR engine.

Cheers,

Joseph

hi joseph.
thanks so much for your great news.
do you mean that ocr addon became part of nvda and nvda now recognizes
the text in the images?
thanks again and God bless you.

Hi everyone,

The following advisory from the add-ons community is for people using NVDA
next snapshots on Windows 10:

Due to UWP OCR feature introduced in today's next snapshot, please disable
OCR add-on if you are on Windows 10 and using next snapshots. This is
because NVDA+R is now a native NVDA command to recognize text on screen
using a chosen OCR engine.

Cheers,

Joseph

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Hi,
If things go as planned, yes. This might be the final big feature in 2017.3 provided that this feature makes the cut.
Cheers,
Joseph

do you mean that ocr addon became part of nvda and nvda now recognizes the text in the images?
thanks again and God bless you.

Hi everyone,

The following advisory from the add-ons community is for people using
NVDA next snapshots on Windows 10:

Due to UWP OCR feature introduced in today's next snapshot, please
disable OCR add-on if you are on Windows 10 and using next snapshots.
This is because NVDA+R is now a native NVDA command to recognize text
on screen using a chosen OCR engine.

Cheers,

Joseph

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:

Akash Kakkar

Hi Joseph, so, is microsoft cognative vision API's are being used in
this feature?

If things go as planned, yes. This might be the final big feature in 2017.3
provided that this feature makes the cut.
Cheers,
Joseph

do you mean that ocr addon became part of nvda and nvda now recognizes the
text in the images?
thanks again and God bless you.

Hi everyone,

The following advisory from the add-ons community is for people using
NVDA next snapshots on Windows 10:

Due to UWP OCR feature introduced in today's next snapshot, please
disable OCR add-on if you are on Windows 10 and using next snapshots.
This is because NVDA+R is now a native NVDA command to recognize text
on screen using a chosen OCR engine.

Cheers,

Joseph

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:

Not sure on specifics, but quite likely. One difference is that it isn't an online-based thing.
Cheers,
Joseph

do you mean that ocr addon became part of nvda and nvda now recognizes
the text in the images?
thanks again and God bless you.

Hi everyone,

The following advisory from the add-ons community is for people using
NVDA next snapshots on Windows 10:

Due to UWP OCR feature introduced in today's next snapshot, please
disable OCR add-on if you are on Windows 10 and using next snapshots.
This is because NVDA+R is now a native NVDA command to recognize text
on screen using a chosen OCR engine.

Cheers,

Joseph

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

joseph.
thanks extremely for your great news again.
whith implementing this feature, jaws has no any supremacy and
advantage over nvda!
nvda is the best screen reader in the universe!

[...]

I'd say both screen readers have their own advantages and weaknesses. UWP--based OCR is just one of the things needed in NVDA, as well as a convenient way to showcase how screen readers can take advantage of Universal Windows Platform API's (for people speaking C++ (including I), NVDA now includes a foundation to support UWP API's written in C++/CX).
Cheers,
Joseph

do you mean that ocr addon became part of nvda and nvda now
recognizes the text in the images?
thanks again and God bless you.

Hi everyone,

The following advisory from the add-ons community is for people
using NVDA next snapshots on Windows 10:

Due to UWP OCR feature introduced in today's next snapshot, please
disable OCR add-on if you are on Windows 10 and using next snapshots.
This is because NVDA+R is now a native NVDA command to recognize
text on screen using a chosen OCR engine.

Cheers,

Joseph

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:

Hyperbole and inaccurate.  JAWS does some things that NVDA can't do as of now.  NVDA does some things that JAWS doesn't do or does them better.  There is no one best screen-reader.  They all have advantages and disadvantages.  NVDA is a good screen-reader and it can meet the needs of a large number of users.  It can't meet all users needs and it is common for demanding NVDA users to have a JAWS demo on their machines so that it is there if needed.

Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 11:29 AM

joseph.
thanks extremely for your great news again.
whith implementing this feature, jaws has no any supremacy and
advantage over nvda!
nvda is the best screen reader in the universe!

> Hi,
> Not sure on specifics, but quite likely. One difference is that it isn't an
> online-based thing.
> Cheers,
> Joseph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I asked this before on the dev list but nobody replied to it. What is this engine or is it just a catch all for a third party ocr that one can install into windows.
Also one would have thought a different key would have been chosen here.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

The following advisory from the add-ons community is for people using NVDA
next snapshots on Windows 10:

Due to UWP OCR feature introduced in today's next snapshot, please disable
OCR add-on if you are on Windows 10 and using next snapshots. This is
because NVDA+R is now a native NVDA command to recognize text on screen
using a chosen OCR engine.

Cheers,

Joseph

Mohammadreza Rashad

Hi dear Joseph,
Which OCR engins does this feature use. How can a user choose his/her
desired OCR engin to use?
Best wishes,
Mohammadreza
btw, Excuse me because of my questions with probably gramatical errors.

Hi,
Eventually, NV Access plans to allow third-party developers to specify different OCR engines via add-ons.
Cheers,
Joseph

Which OCR engins does this feature use. How can a user choose his/her desired OCR engin to use?
Best wishes,
Mohammadreza
btw, Excuse me because of my questions with probably gramatical errors.

Akash Kakkar

So, what OCR engine is being currently used?

Eventually, NV Access plans to allow third-party developers to specify
different OCR engines via add-ons.
Cheers,
Joseph

Which OCR engins does this feature use. How can a user choose his/her
desired OCR engin to use?
Best wishes,
Mohammadreza
btw, Excuse me because of my questions with probably gramatical errors.

Hi,
Currently the API's provided by Universal Windows Platform is in use.
Cheers,
Joseph