From: "Josh Kennedy" <joshknnd1982@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 11:14 PM
Subject: [nvda] knfb and NVDA

hi

I would buy knfb, but what is a good document camera to use with knfb reader? scanners are big and bulky and a camera would be faster for scanning books and stuff. I also have knfb on my android phone.

and does it work good with NVDA?

--
sent with mozilla thunderbird

Christo de Klerk

Hello

I have KNFB which I use with a flatbed HP scanner.

Character recognition is good and fast, but one thing about the app that really disappointed me, is that it does not retain the layout of the text you scan; It simply dumps everything in one continuous paragraph. So, if you want it to scan books that you would like to keep, or if the layout is important, then I think you will waste your money. I can only hope that this is an area that will receive some attention in a future release. In its present form it is really only good for a quick and dirty.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2017/07/12 12:14 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
hi

I would buy knfb, but what is a good document camera to use with knfb reader? scanners are big and bulky and a camera would be faster for scanning books and stuff. I also have knfb on my android phone.

and does it work good with NVDA?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

How does it match to the same software on a smart phone. I have lots of friends that tell me its wonderful.
Maybe its a problem when using a scanner instead of a camera?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

I have the iOS version also. My comments about it would be exactly the same as what I said about the Windows app. Character recognition is good and fast, but it is not usable for material where layout is important. For a quick and dirty it is fine or if layout is not important. I would not recommend it for scanning books that you want to keep. I use Abbyy FineReader on my desktop for that.

I think the app is way over-priced at its full price of around $100. I only bought it at its much reduced price and knowing what I know now, I certainly would not pay more than that. If you have $100 to spend, get FineReader; it does a far superior job for the same money and is perfectly accessible.

On the Smartphone KNFB is probably the best option, but I think it, too, is over-priced given its limitations.

Kind regards

Christo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christo de Klerk" <christodeklerk@gmail.com>
[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

I fully agree. KNFBReader is the best and fastest on a smartphone, at least for me on my iPhone. I'm also using finereader on my PC, but I'm using an older version and it works fine with Win10, but is only 30$ on Amazon. No need to pay 100 bucks for the most recent version.

Cheers,
Ralf

[...]

OK I won't clog up this list with smart phone stuff, but I'd naturally supposed as wone of the usage cases was for bank statements that it at least had rudamentory format preservation or inteleigent positioning of the read text. I alread have several solutions for the pc none of which seem to like the way things are formatted and you get bits of addresses in amongst the text or bank details etc.
[...]

Jason White

I use ABBYY FineReader 12 Pro at work, and I can confirm that it can be used effectively with a screen reader. It also recognizes the structure of a document, including headings, lists and footnotes.

The latest version is FineReader 14. If anyone has had experience with it under NVDA or another screen reader, I would be interested in a report of your findings. So far as I am aware, the main alternative is OmniPage, now owned by Nuance. I don't know how accessible it is, so I can't comment here except to note it.

[...]

Standard is fine there are a few enterprise features I had to kill however.

On 16/07/2017 6:43 a.m., Jason White via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Jim Pipczak

Hi,

I also have KNFB, try Prizmo Go, It's free if you don't want to save files and only a few dollars if you do. It has some advantages over KNFB and is one heck of an app.
If you're in the states, try Seeing Ai from Microsoft It will be released for other country's soon. This app may well be the future. It's impressive and a bit of a WOW app.

Thanks,
Jim.

[...]

I agree that Seeing AI is impressive. A colleague at work and I have been testing it. I predict we'll see steady improvements in image recognition based on ongoing advances in artificial neural netowrks (i.e., deep learning). Seeing AI is also reputedly available in several countries already, not just the U.S.