a good news for those who say nvda becomes silent for them after minutes in browsers and says unknown

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

hello every one.
i remember that recievd some messages in the lists which people told
nvda says unknown in browsers and becomes silent.
i found the solution!
i new the cause before, but i thought that its solved in the newer
versions of nvda, but unfortunately yesterday i realized not!
just find screen saver in the control panel and set it to none.
screen saver causes this problem for nvda and the issue still persists
unfortunately even in version 2017.2.
did someone report this issue or i should report it in github?
i waite for your help and feedback and God bless you all!

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think this is a Windows issue. Its one of the first things I turn off on a computer, I have to say.
It should be in the instructions for installing nvda, I think if its not already as some computers seem to be set up with an incredibly short wait period befor it kicks in. Do we really need screen savers with modern displays?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

i remember that recievd some messages in the lists which people told
nvda says unknown in browsers and becomes silent.
i found the solution!
i new the cause before, but i thought that its solved in the newer
versions of nvda, but unfortunately yesterday i realized not!
just find screen saver in the control panel and set it to none.
screen saver causes this problem for nvda and the issue still persists
unfortunately even in version 2017.2.
did someone report this issue or i should report it in github?
i waite for your help and feedback and God bless you all!

Well I always turn off screen savers you don't need them if you have a short sleep timer or screen dimmer.

For myself I never bother with any power features as such unless I am on the road.

----- Original Message ----- From: "nasrin khaksar" <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com>
i remember that recievd some messages in the lists which people told
nvda says unknown in browsers and becomes silent.
i found the solution!
i new the cause before, but i thought that its solved in the newer
versions of nvda, but unfortunately yesterday i realized not!
just find screen saver in the control panel and set it to none.
screen saver causes this problem for nvda and the issue still persists
unfortunately even in version 2017.2.
did someone report this issue or i should report it in github?
i waite for your help and feedback and God bless you all!

should i report it in github?
because sayAll does not stop after activating screen saver for jaws users.

[...]

I think this may vbe due to Jaws using a buffer perhaps.

[...]

Gene

I don't know what is happening on your machine but JAWS usually does stop when a screen-saver comes on and has done so as long as I've heard about the issue.  People should set the screen saver setting to none.  This isn't a bug or anything that should be reported.

Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 3:59 AM

should i report it in github?
because sayAll does not stop after activating screen saver for jaws users.

> Well I always turn off screen savers you don't need them if you have a
> short sleep timer or screen dimmer.
>
> For myself I never bother with any power features as such unless I am on
> the road.
>

> On 16/07/2017 7:54 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
>> I think this is a Windows issue. Its one of the first things I turn
>> off on a computer, I have to say.
>> It should be in the instructions for installing nvda, I think if its
>> not already as some computers seem to be set up with an incredibly
>> short wait period befor it kicks in. Do we really need screen savers
>> with modern displays?
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "nasrin khaksar"
>> <nasrinkhaksar3@...>

i also heard from many people that jaws does not stop reading after
activating screen saver from other people.

[...]

How do they know the screen-reader has become active?  Unless something has changed in JAWS or Windows, JAWS stops when a screen-reader becomes active.  I can't rule out that something hasn't changed in later versions of Windows or in later versions of JAWS.  I'm skeptical, but we'll see what others say.

Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 11:19 AM

On 7/16/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I don't know what is happening on your machine but JAWS usually does stop
> when a screen-saver comes on and has done so as long as I've heard about the
> issue.  People should set the screen saver setting to none.  This isn't a
> bug or anything that should be reported.

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Actually, I do consider this a bug, because as long as my screen reader is talking, the machine shouldn't go to sleep, it's still doing something, even if it's not visible to a sighted person.

Apple is bad with this too, and it's something that has irritated me for years.

Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 3:59 AM

should i report it in github?
because sayAll does not stop after activating screen saver for jaws users.

> Well I always turn off screen savers you don't need them if you have a
> short sleep timer or screen dimmer.
>
> For myself I never bother with any power features as such unless I am on
> the road.
>

> On 16/07/2017 7:54 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
>> I think this is a Windows issue. Its one of the first things I turn
>> off on a computer, I have to say.
>> It should be in the instructions for installing nvda, I think if its
>> not already as some computers seem to be set up with an incredibly
>> short wait period befor it kicks in. Do we really need screen savers
>> with modern displays?
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "nasrin khaksar"
>> <nasrinkhaksar3@...>

It's not a bug.  Windows doesn't know to keep the screen-reader from coming up because no keys are being depressed.  Manufacturers have said for decades that screen-savers should not be on when using a screen-reader.

Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 2:29 PM

Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 3:59 AM

should i report it in github?
because sayAll does not stop after activating screen saver for jaws users.

> Well I always turn off screen savers you don't need them if you have a
> short sleep timer or screen dimmer.
>
> For myself I never bother with any power features as such unless I am on
> the road.
>

> On 16/07/2017 7:54 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
>> I think this is a Windows issue. Its one of the first things I turn
>> off on a computer, I have to say.
>> It should be in the instructions for installing nvda, I think if its
>> not already as some computers seem to be set up with an incredibly
>> short wait period befor it kicks in. Do we really need screen savers
>> with modern displays?
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "nasrin khaksar"
>> <nasrinkhaksar3@...>

Rob

Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:
It's not a bug. Windows doesn't know to keep the screen-reader from coming up because no keys are being depressed.
There are some apps which will keep the computer from going into screensaver mode or standby mode while that particular app is being used, even if no mouse or keyboard activity is occurring. Why could not this be done with screen readers?

Gene

I don't know the answer to that question.

> It's not a bug.  Windows doesn't know to keep the screen-reader from coming up because no keys are being depressed.

There are some apps which will keep the computer from going into screensaver mode or standby mode while that particular app is being used, even if no mouse or keyboard activity is occurring. Why could not this be done with screen readers?

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Nope, still consider it a bug.  There are routines one can call to tell the computer you're doing something, and there's no reason why jaws et al can't put said calls into the screen reader so that the operating system knows something is active, and you shouldn't start the screen reader.  The os manufacturer knows the screen reader is doing something (after all, it is the one sending the notifications the screen reader is responding to), so they could easily notify the system not to go to sleep.  Nope, can't agree here, still a bug.

Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 2:29 PM

Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 3:59 AM

should i report it in github?
because sayAll does not stop after activating screen saver for jaws users.

> Well I always turn off screen savers you don't need them if you have a
> short sleep timer or screen dimmer.
>
> For myself I never bother with any power features as such unless I am on
> the road.
>

> On 16/07/2017 7:54 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
>> I think this is a Windows issue. Its one of the first things I turn
>> off on a computer, I have to say.
>> It should be in the instructions for installing nvda, I think if its
>> not already as some computers seem to be set up with an incredibly
>> short wait period befor it kicks in. Do we really need screen savers
>> with modern displays?
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "nasrin khaksar"
>> <nasrinkhaksar3@...>

Andre Fisher

It's not a bug, because a screen reader is what it is, a screen
reader. If a screen saver is active, then a sighted user would not be
able to tell what's on screen either. Notice that say all stops when
the screen saver is active.

It's more of an enhancement.

wrote:
I think this is a Windows issue. Its one of the first things I turn
off on a computer, I have to say.
It should be in the instructions for installing nvda, I think if its
not already as some computers seem to be set up with an incredibly
short wait period befor it kicks in. Do we really need screen savers
with modern displays?

Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "nasrin khaksar"
<nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com <mailto:nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com>>
[...]

100 percent disagree. screen readers are more than just screen readers these days. They replace a display for one thing, and if they were just screen readers, then we wouldn't have issues with screen readers saying things that aren't actually there (something I've complained about especially with apple for years). If they were just screen readers, then they would read what is on the screen, and nothing else. They wouldn't attempt to interpret what is read, to say street or saint (in context), they would simply say s t and continue. Neither would they give the option of saying 1 hundred and twenty three or 1 2 3, No folks, screen readers topped being just screen readers a long time ago, and as such, things like your screen reader stopping (or not) when the system goes to sleep even though the screen reader is still active are most definitely a bug. Now, whether it's an os bug or a screen reader bug is certainly open for debate, but nonetheless, it's still a bug, and I for one would definitely like to see it fixed, on IOS, OSX, and in windows as well.

On 7/16/2017 4:30 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Yes I agree, but as has been said, people do not agree on what should be said or not said, so I think it can add complexity if you attempt to suit all people.
Half the problem is that operating system and program writers seldom think outside of the graphical front end on how a blind person would 'see' the screen conceptually.
[...]

Screen-readers for the most part don't interpret things such as st period and say street or saint on their own.  The synthesizer largely does these things.  And there is a difference between a screen-reader saying something and actually affecting the performance of the machine.  And I suspect that once you start fooling around with screen-readers affecting performance, you would have other problems that alter more than the original intent.  If you stop screen-readers from coming up, you might stop power settings such as a machine sleeping after a certain number of minutes or something going into standby like a hard drive after a certain number of minutes of disuse.  There is a significant difference in degree between how a screen-reader says s t period, and altering how a machine works at the program or utility level.  In addition, people have some responsibility for learning how to use their equipment.  I understand that people have varying degrees of interest and knowledge.  But even so, there are certain things people need to know or learn.  If they have a problem such as a screen saver coming on and stopping speech, they may find out what the problem is in various ways, asking on list, asking a knowledgeable user, calling the screen-reader technical support, and perhaps others I haven't thought of.

them after minutes in browsers and says unknown

> 100 percent disagree.  screen readers are more than just screen readers
> these days.  They replace a display for one thing, and if they were just
> screen readers, then we wouldn't have issues with screen readers saying
> things that aren't actually there (something I've complained about
> especially with apple for years).  If they were just screen readers, then
> they would read what is on the screen, and nothing else.  They wouldn't
> attempt to interpret what is read, to say street or saint (in context),
> they would simply say s t and continue.  Neither would they give the
> option of saying 1 hundred and twenty three or  1 2 3, No folks, screen
> readers topped being just screen readers a long time ago, and as such,
> things like your screen reader stopping (or not) when the system goes to
> sleep even though the screen reader is still active are most definitely a
> bug.  Now, whether it's an os bug or a screen reader bug is certainly open
> for debate, but nonetheless, it's still a bug, and I for one would
> definitely like to see it fixed, on IOS, OSX, and in windows as well.
>

> On 7/16/2017 11:27 PM, Andre Fisher wrote:
>> It's not a bug, because a screen reader is what it is, a screen
>> reader. If a screen saver is active, then a sighted user would not be
>> able to tell what's on screen either. Notice that say all stops when
>> the screen saver is active.
>>
>> It's more of an enhancement.
>>
>> On 7/16/17, Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...> wrote:
>>> Nope, still consider it a bug.  There are routines one can call to tell
>>> the computer you're doing something, and there's no reason why jaws et
>>> al can't put said calls into the screen reader so that the operating
>>> system knows something is active, and you shouldn't start the screen
>>> reader.  The os manufacturer knows the screen reader is doing something
>>> (after all, it is the one sending the notifications the screen reader is
>>> responding to), so they could easily notify the system not to go to
>>> sleep.  Nope, can't agree here, still a bug.

i tested jaws with my windows xp many years ago and someone told that
he tested on windows seven.
jaws does not stop reading in screen saver activated.i am not sure is
it a bug in nvda or windows or something else.
i waite for developers of nvda guide in this regard.