Emergency advisory for Windows XP and Resource Monitor users: please use version 16.08 or disable the add-on

Hi all,

Emergency advisory notice for Windows XP users using Resource Monitor: as part of Resource Monitor 17.02, I have updated psutil to 5.0.1. This is causing an error message to be shown for Windows XP users as newer psutil versions aren’t compatible with it. The last version of psutil and Resource monitor that’s compatible with Windows XP are 3.4.2 and 16.08, respectively.

Until further notice, I advise Windows XP users to either use version 16.08 or disable the add-on. If you do downgrade to 16.08, you’ll lose uptime announcement (NVDA+Shift+7) and bug fix for disk status command (fixes introduced in 17.02).

There are several ways of resolving this:

  1. Bundle an old version of psutil package with the add-on. This may introduce compatibility problems.
  2. Disable support for XP: catch the error and tell XP users that some add-on features aren’t compatible.
  3. Remove support for XP. However, this runs into issues for those who rely on XP.

Cheers,

Joseph

Bill Dengler

Remove XP support. It was marked EOL way back in 2014. People have had more than enough time to transition.

Bill

On Jul 16, 2017, at 8:26 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi,
End of XP support will be spring 2018 from Resource Monitor add-on.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

One has also to be careful as some xp machines run on processors with no sse2 support, ie the amd Athlons etc. Even Ccleaner has screwed up on this one recently. It just crases in a most messy way.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

please readd support for xp users who need it.
thanks and God bless you.

<bglists@...> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Brian's Mail list account

I think, unless you have been hiding under a rock for about five years or so, thus far nvda has been one of the best pieces of software for continuing support of XP. Also of course there is no reason why you cannot continue to use the older versions of add ons in the code unless it breaks due to an nvda addition or change.
Also, being open source if there are enough people who want to still run xp, there is nothing stopping you from getting somebody who can program to write a bespoke add on to do what you want.
If you want proof of the fact that xp can now only really be used because nothing else will run on the hardware, look at.
Firefox. Last version 48 on AMD processors 52 on Intel
Ccleaner 5.2 on Amd Processors but still runs newer version on Pentiums
Java, no bug fixes or updates
Adobe Digital Edition will not run on xp
Flash really buggy and seems not to work

Adobe reader, only 11 will run and no bug fixes either.

Windows updates no longer work unless you force the machine to download the file manually as with the recent hostage ware patch that came through.
Most updates for office do not seem to run well in xp.

Although it is still true to say that all current windows O/ss can trace their origins back to Windows NT the basic kernal and its associated routines have been so much modified since that it would be a real nightmare to make much of it work.
So we have to put up with older software. At the moment msse still runs, but I'd imagine that won't be for a great deal longer as even the embedded version in cash machines and point of sale terminals are now being phased out, for good security reasons.
Thus the hack for the windows updates will not bring you anything but a slow computer while it looks in vain for updates!
Its had a good innings and yes its still usable with provisos as said above. I tried to write this not in the lingo of the programmer as Josephs was a bit, and hope it helps.
Now whether you support things going out of date is a discussion for a philosophical list not this one!

Now where is my hippy caftan.
[...]

joseph and brian.
i agree with your first sentence.
nvda is a very great to continued support xp.
but i know some programs that even support win 95 and 98 until windows ten.
and if i were programmer, follow the rool that my program be
compatible with all operating systems and all versions.

<bglists@...> wrote:
[...]

Antony Stone

If you write a program to be compatible with all operating systems and all
versions, then you will automatically end up with the fewest and most basic
possible features, because anything more complex which is not supported by at
least one version of one operating system has to be left out.

As time goes by, you will have to remove more and more features from your
program, as newer versions of operating systems stop supporting old libraries
etc.

So yes, you can write a program which works on anything from Windows 95 to
Windows 10, but it'll look pretty disappointing compared to what someone else
can write to run only on Windows 7 and above (for example).

Antony.

--
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

i also like simple programs, with most compatibility and less bug
useful and simple to use and learn for all people.