Important announcement on add-on compatibility: Resource Monitor, Windows 10 App Essentials, Enhanced Touch Gestures and others and old Windows releases

Dear NVDA community,

It was brought to my attention that Resource Monitor 17.07 doesn’t work on Windows XP. Investigation showed that I have used a newer psutil package that dropped support for XP. After gathering feedback from users, it was decided to part ways with Windows XP sooner than later. Also, I think this is a good opportunity to announce compatibility notices for other add-ons as well in relation to supporting old Windows releases.

Thus:

  • Resource Monitor: support for Windows XP will end on December 31, 2017, with version 17.10 being the most likely EOL candidate. Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista will be supported until June 30, 2018.
  • Windows 10 App Essentials: version 17.09.x will be the last releases to support NVDA versions prior to 2017.3. Version 17.10 and later will require NVDA 2017.3 running on Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 14393) and later due to changes introduced in 2017.3 in regards to certain Windows 10 controls and events.
  • Enhanced Touch Gestures: starting from version 17.09, the add-on will refuse to install on computers or tablets running Windows earlier than Windows 8.x. From 2018 onwards, Windows 8.1 or 10 will be required due to support policy on Windows 8.0 from Microsoft.
  • StationPlaylist Studio: there will be a 15.x LTS release in the fall that’ll be the last one to support Studio versions earlier than 5.10. I will not remove support for Windows XP from this add-on until up to one year after Studio itself stops supporting XP or when support for the next LTS series ends, whichever happens earlier (the next LTS series is scheduled for 2018 at the earliest). So if you are managing radio stations from Windows XP, it might be best to either use version 15.x LTS, the next LTS series, or upgrade to at least Windows 7.
  • GoldWave: I will not drop support for Windows XP until number of people who are using GoldWave 5 on XP is small enough (less than say, five people). Once this happens, the add-on will require Windows 7 and later with GoldWave 5 or 6 installed.
  • ObjPad and Object location Tones: these add-ons will drop support for XP once NVDA itself drops support for it.

As for add-ons from other authors, it is up to them as to when they will stop supporting Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and/or Windows Vista. But once NV Access decides to move to Python 3, that’s when the end game for Windows XP support will begin.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes what extras will a newer version of resource monitor to realistic xp installations though? I suspect not much as many are running on core duo laptops or older single core desktops like most of the ones I look after.

I know that there are discussions about xp, but it does seem to me that there are still a lot of these about.I myself do not really care too much as they are not in areas where new functionality is needed.
I have none of the other operating systems here. Talking to NHS folk, the only reason they are not upgrading those machines now is because they are the only ones that support medical hardware at present, and I suspect this is probably the case elsewhere. However I don't think I'm going to scrap mine as long as they keep going, and those people I know with xp are not using them in critical task areas.

Windows 7, though is still my operating system of choice. Having tried 10 it is still really irritating in many areas, to the least because it cannot really run with a portable version of nvda without lots of the functionality of UIA, which 7 does not rely on as much, and that is only accessible with installed versions.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

i wish that if you use python 3 for compiling nvda, use version 3.4 to
support xp without problem.
it has two advantages.
first, you can benefit simplicity and new features of python3 and
second, your xp users can use there operating system without any
worried!

[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Hi,
As I learned this the hard way today (as I often do when walking through uncharted territories), support for a given operating system is a very complex puzzle that requires careful coordination of various subsystems, texts, dependencies, statements, and research. Subsystems, because even a misguided plug (bad assumption) can destroy a system. Text, because what was meant by something is totally different in other contexts, especially when it comes to API and documentation. Dependencies, because a complex mechanism or a system requires careful tuning of bolts and gears (in case of software, libraries). Statements, because what may have worked in the past will not apply, and more often than not, people are fooled by carefully crafted statements about OS compatibility. Research, because supporting a given operating system requires learning more about how the new version or an OS works and making careful decisions and planning ahead for possible disasters, all requiring careful research.
In case of the Resource Monitor issue, the actual issue came about due to changes made when using more recent version of a dependency. Unfortunately, using an old version meant sacrificing precious code from two developers (I and another person who brought you uptime command), one of them having to do with the uptime command problem caused by 32-bit integer overflow (in old releases of psutil, if you leave your computer running for more than 49 days, uptime command will give you erroneous message); fixing this requires partially using newer API's provided by Windows Vista and later. Another problem with using really old version of psutil is the fact that function names have changed, one of the worst nightmares a software engineer can experience (in case you are researching how NVDA can be ported to Python 3, take a look at _winreg versus winreg (one with a leading underscore)), and the version I found is reasonably recent that allows me to keep using new function names from newest psutil release and keep supporting XP for a little while. But the most important change (that will unfortunately result in parting ways with Windows XP) is the fact that the facility used to compile newer psutil releases uses code that will not let psutil run on XP at all (specifically, the wheel version of psutil 4.0.0 and later uses Windows subsystem version of NT 6.0, which corresponds to Windows Vista; even if I can build from source, it requires using a specific version of Visual Studio 2008 compiler that was optimized for Python 2.7, whereas Python 3.5 only requires Visual Studio 2015).
In summary, as much as I wish to support XP, reality overrode me. I'm sorry.
[...]

I'm not so certain that would be the case actually. Lots of hype about it but....
I'm not convinced.
[...]

thanks so much for your technical sentences.
but i realy could not understand such technical and complex
informations related to the programming!
could you please explane for me in simple way?

[...]

Simple answer: we need to make choices in our lives, and some choices involve letting go of things we were used to doing. Some decisions are personal, while others, like the one made below, have huge impact. For huge decisions, a decision without justifications are no decisions, and for this one, it has justifications.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph