Error message

Darrin Reid

This is the error message that I am getting. It is preventing me from using the application. I am working on a windows 10 desktop. How do I fix the following message.
"you need a password to use this true voice speech

Once I click on the, OK button, I never get the opportunity to put in a password. Every time I launch the program, this is the error message that I keep getting. Please, help! engine"

Darrin Reid

Quentin Christensen

Hi Darrin,

It sounds like you are trying to use a TTS voice which is licensed to another program?  NVDA will let you use any standard SAPI TTS and many others, but some voices are locked to specific programs.  If you are trying to use a TTS voice you got with another program, it may not work with NVDA, even though NVDA will let you select it.  In that case, you need to choose another voice.  If you get stuck, press NVDA+control+r to restore the saved configuration or NVDA+control+r three times quickly to restore NVDA to factory default settings (note that uninstalling and reinstalling NVDA won't fix this as the configuration settings are not deleted).

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 5:57 AM, Darrin Reid via Groups.Io <dkr1717@...> wrote:
This is the error message that I am getting. It is preventing me from using the application. I am working on a windows 10 desktop. How do I fix the following message.

Once I click on the, OK button, I never get the opportunity to put in a password. Every time I launch the program, this is the error message that I keep getting. Please, help! engine"

Darrin Reid

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Darrin Reid

Do you have any other suggestions? I tried what you said, but it did not work. Every time I hit any key, the error message window keeps popping open. When I click the, OK button, on the window, it eventually goes away. No matter how quickly I hit the NVDA+ctrl+r, it will not open up the interface window.

Darrin Reid

On Jul 19, 2017, at 8:50 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

Hi Darrin,

It sounds like you are trying to use a TTS voice which is licensed to another program?  NVDA will let you use any standard SAPI TTS and many others, but some voices are locked to specific programs.  If you are trying to use a TTS voice you got with another program, it may not work with NVDA, even though NVDA will let you select it.  In that case, you need to choose another voice.  If you get stuck, press NVDA+control+r to restore the saved configuration or NVDA+control+r three times quickly to restore NVDA to factory default settings (note that uninstalling and reinstalling NVDA won't fix this as the configuration settings are not deleted).

Regards

Quentin.

Darrin Reid

--
Quentin Christensen

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org 

Gene

Control NVDA key r doesn't open anything.  If you have changed settings in NVDA and not permanently saved the changes, control NVDA key r reverts NVDA to the permanently saved settings.

I don't know what voice you are using now.  Assumedly, since the voice you are trying to use isn't being allowed to run, the voice now in your permanently saved settings is reading the message.  Control NVDA key r only might help if, for some reason, you tried to load a voice and it didn't load properly, resulting in you loosing speech.  Since you hadn't yet made the new voice permanent, control NVDA key r would revert to the old voice because it reverts to the permanently saved settings. 

The first answer said that if the voice is restricted, only allowed to read with a certain program, then you can't use it with NVDA.  Is this an unrestricted voice that you purchased to be able to run with any program that can run it?  If so, considering the lack of responses, it sounds as though its time to call technical support.  You may have to go into the actual voice program itself and authorize it.  It sounds as though you are ggetting an error message that the voice needs to be authorized but it's just an error message.  It doesn't offer fields you can use to authorize the voice.  it is just an information message about what the problem is.  That's how it sounds to me.  You may need to call techhnical support to verify that and find out how to authorize the voice from within the voice software. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:48 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Error message

Do you have any other suggestions? I tried what you said, but it did not work. Every time I hit any key, the error message window keeps popping open. When I click the, OK button, on the window, it eventually goes away. No matter how quickly I hit the NVDA+ctrl+r, it will not open up the interface window.

Darrin Reid

Hi Darrin,

Regards

Quentin.

Darrin Reid

--
Quentin Christensen

www.nvaccess.org 

Darrin Reid

I don't want to use this voice. I am simply trying to get back to the default settings. Can you tell me how to get back to the default settings when I can't bring up the interface?

Darrin Reid

On Jul 20, 2017, at 12:07 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

Control NVDA key r doesn't open anything.  If you have changed settings in NVDA and not permanently saved the changes, control NVDA key r reverts NVDA to the permanently saved settings.

I don't know what voice you are using now.  Assumedly, since the voice you are trying to use isn't being allowed to run, the voice now in your permanently saved settings is reading the message.  Control NVDA key r only might help if, for some reason, you tried to load a voice and it didn't load properly, resulting in you loosing speech.  Since you hadn't yet made the new voice permanent, control NVDA key r would revert to the old voice because it reverts to the permanently saved settings. 

The first answer said that if the voice is restricted, only allowed to read with a certain program, then you can't use it with NVDA.  Is this an unrestricted voice that you purchased to be able to run with any program that can run it?  If so, considering the lack of responses, it sounds as though its time to call technical support.  You may have to go into the actual voice program itself and authorize it.  It sounds as though you are ggetting an error message that the voice needs to be authorized but it's just an error message.  It doesn't offer fields you can use to authorize the voice.  it is just an information message about what the problem is.  That's how it sounds to me.  You may need to call techhnical support to verify that and find out how to authorize the voice from within the voice software. 

Gene

Darrin Reid

Hi Darrin,

Regards

Quentin.

Darrin Reid

--
Quentin Christensen

www.nvaccess.org 

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

did setting nvda back to factory defaults do it.. Some times after you do it turn off nvda with the nvda key + q  then tab to ok to quit it. then restart nvda then you will get a message about using the caps lock as a modifier key etc do your changes then tab to the ok button then press the enter key on it.

hopefully then it will default back to the e speak voice.

Other wise may be when you press the nvda key + ctrl key + the letter S when the synth dialogue comes up and it says about that voice i  wonder if pressing the letter E will get you back to the e speak synth and if it does then tab to the ok button. Hopefully you might be able to uninstall the syn package it is looking at under program and features or something like that in your version of windows. Hopefully if this is done it will not cause any problems?

Not sure even if doing a recovery will get rid of it.

Gene nz

On 7/21/2017 3:48 AM, Darrin Reid via Groups.Io wrote:

Darrin Reid

Hi Darrin,

Regards

Quentin.

Darrin Reid

--
Quentin Christensen

www.nvaccess.org 

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Brian's Mail list account

Yes and he might need to use Narrator for that job at least at the moment.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2017 5:07 PM

Control NVDA key r doesn't open anything. If you have changed settings in NVDA and not permanently saved the changes, control NVDA key r reverts NVDA to the permanently saved settings.

I don't know what voice you are using now. Assumedly, since the voice you are trying to use isn't being allowed to run, the voice now in your permanently saved settings is reading the message. Control NVDA key r only might help if, for some reason, you tried to load a voice and it didn't load properly, resulting in you loosing speech. Since you hadn't yet made the new voice permanent, control NVDA key r would revert to the old voice because it reverts to the permanently saved settings.

The first answer said that if the voice is restricted, only allowed to read with a certain program, then you can't use it with NVDA. Is this an unrestricted voice that you purchased to be able to run with any program that can run it? If so, considering the lack of responses, it sounds as though its time to call technical support. You may have to go into the actual voice program itself and authorize it. It sounds as though you are ggetting an error message that the voice needs to be authorized but it's just an error message. It doesn't offer fields you can use to authorize the voice. it is just an information message about what the problem is. That's how it sounds to me. You may need to call techhnical support to verify that and find out how to authorize the voice from within the voice software.

Gene
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Darrin Reid

Hi Darrin,

It sounds like you are trying to use a TTS voice which is licensed to another program? NVDA will let you use any standard SAPI TTS and many others, but some voices are locked to specific programs. If you are trying to use a TTS voice you got with another program, it may not work with NVDA, even though NVDA will let you select it. In that case, you need to choose another voice. If you get stuck, press NVDA+control+r to restore the saved configuration or NVDA+control+r three times quickly to restore NVDA to factory default settings (note that uninstalling and reinstalling NVDA won't fix this as the configuration settings are not deleted).

Regards

Quentin.

Darrin Reid

--

Quentin Christensen

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account

Hmm, there was a thread about something like a modal error box or window blocking all similar items from opening until it can be closed. This is a Windows thing.

I think at the moment you will need to find what is generating that box and even if it means letting a sighted person on, get it so its banished and then you can sort nvda out.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:28 PM

I don't want to use this voice. I am simply trying to get back to the default settings. Can you tell me how to get back to the default settings when I can't bring up the interface?

Darrin Reid

Control NVDA key r doesn't open anything. If you have changed settings in NVDA and not permanently saved the changes, control NVDA key r reverts NVDA to the permanently saved settings.

I don't know what voice you are using now. Assumedly, since the voice you are trying to use isn't being allowed to run, the voice now in your permanently saved settings is reading the message. Control NVDA key r only might help if, for some reason, you tried to load a voice and it didn't load properly, resulting in you loosing speech. Since you hadn't yet made the new voice permanent, control NVDA key r would revert to the old voice because it reverts to the permanently saved settings.

The first answer said that if the voice is restricted, only allowed to read with a certain program, then you can't use it with NVDA. Is this an unrestricted voice that you purchased to be able to run with any program that can run it? If so, considering the lack of responses, it sounds as though its time to call technical support. You may have to go into the actual voice program itself and authorize it. It sounds as though you are ggetting an error message that the voice needs to be authorized but it's just an error message. It doesn't offer fields you can use to authorize the voice. it is just an information message about what the problem is. That's how it sounds to me. You may need to call techhnical support to verify that and find out how to authorize the voice from within the voice software.

Gene

Darrin Reid

Hi Darrin,

It sounds like you are trying to use a TTS voice which is licensed to another program? NVDA will let you use any standard SAPI TTS and many others, but some voices are locked to specific programs. If you are trying to use a TTS voice you got with another program, it may not work with NVDA, even though NVDA will let you select it. In that case, you need to choose another voice. If you get stuck, press NVDA+control+r to restore the saved configuration or NVDA+control+r three times quickly to restore NVDA to factory default settings (note that uninstalling and reinstalling NVDA won't fix this as the configuration settings are not deleted).

Regards

Quentin.

Darrin Reid

--
Quentin Christensen

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org

Gene

I'm not sure how you get back to the default settings.  I had the impression that if you activate the ok button perhaps many times, the dialog goes away.  But then what happens?  Are you saying you then have no speech or does something else happen.  You haven't given, as far as I recall, a detailed description of just what happens such as, When I run NVDA I get the error message.  If I get rid of the error message, I then have no speech.  I'm not saying that happens but just what does?  And if I have written what happens, what happens if you use the command control NVDA key s then wait a moment, type the letter e and press enter.  Does the default e-speak voice come up?  You say you can't open the interface. 

With more information, we might be able to help further.  Also, to try to see what is going on, if you can't get into the interface, or to make sure if you can or not, try running Narrator if you lose NVDA speech or you can't tell what is going on.  It will do no harm running both screen-readers at once.  Also, you may need to uninstall NVDA, you can run Narrator to do this, then remove all left over remnants and reinstall it so the default voice is used, but let's see if we can solve the problem without doing so first. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, July 21, 2017 2:34 AM

Hmm, there was a thread about something like a modal error box or window
blocking all similar items from opening until it can be closed. This is a
Windows thing.

I think at the moment you will need to find what is generating that box and
even if it means letting a sighted person on, get it so its banished and
then you can sort nvda out.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

I don't want to use this voice. I am simply trying to get back to the
default settings. Can you tell me how to get back to the default settings
when I can't bring up the interface?

Darrin Reid

> On Jul 20, 2017, at 12:07 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
>
> Control NVDA key r doesn't open anything.  If you have changed settings in
> NVDA and not permanently saved the changes, control NVDA key r reverts
> NVDA to the permanently saved settings.
>
> I don't know what voice you are using now.  Assumedly, since the voice you
> are trying to use isn't being allowed to run, the voice now in your
> permanently saved settings is reading the message.  Control NVDA key r
> only might help if, for some reason, you tried to load a voice and it
> didn't load properly, resulting in you loosing speech.  Since you hadn't
> yet made the new voice permanent, control NVDA key r would revert to the
> old voice because it reverts to the permanently saved settings.
>
> The first answer said that if the voice is restricted, only allowed to
> read with a certain program, then you can't use it with NVDA.  Is this an
> unrestricted voice that you purchased to be able to run with any program
> that can run it?  If so, considering the lack of responses, it sounds as
> though its time to call technical support.  You may have to go into the
> actual voice program itself and authorize it.  It sounds as though you are
> ggetting an error message that the voice needs to be authorized but it's
> just an error message.  It doesn't offer fields you can use to authorize
> the voice.  it is just an information message about what the problem is.
> That's how it sounds to me.  You may need to call techhnical support to
> verify that and find out how to authorize the voice from within the voice
> software.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Darrin Reid via Groups.Io
> Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:48 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Error message
>
> Do you have any other suggestions? I tried what you said, but it did not
> work. Every time I hit any key, the error message window keeps popping
> open. When I click the, OK button, on the window, it eventually goes away.
> No matter how quickly I hit the NVDA+ctrl+r, it will not open up the
> interface window.
>
> Darrin Reid
>
>> On Jul 19, 2017, at 8:50 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Darrin,
>>
>> It sounds like you are trying to use a TTS voice which is licensed to
>> another program?  NVDA will let you use any standard SAPI TTS and many
>> others, but some voices are locked to specific programs.  If you are
>> trying to use a TTS voice you got with another program, it may not work
>> with NVDA, even though NVDA will let you select it.  In that case, you
>> need to choose another voice.  If you get stuck, press NVDA+control+r to
>> restore the saved configuration or NVDA+control+r three times quickly to
>> restore NVDA to factory default settings (note that uninstalling and
>> reinstalling NVDA won't fix this as the configuration settings are not
>> deleted).
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Quentin.
>>
>>> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 5:57 AM, Darrin Reid via Groups.Io
>>> <dkr1717@...> wrote:
>>> This is the error message that I am getting. It is preventing me from
>>> using the application. I am working on a windows 10      desktop. How do
>>> I fix the following message.
>>> "you need a password to use this true voice speech
>>>
>>> Once I click on the, OK button, I never get the opportunity to put in a
>>> password. Every time I launch the program, this is the error message
>>> that I keep getting. Please, help! engine"
>>>
>>> Darrin Reid
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Quentin Christensen
>> Training and Support Manager
>>
>> Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available:
>> http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>>
>> Ph +61 7 3149 3306
>> www.nvaccess.org
>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
>> Twitter: @NVAccess
>

Darrin Reid

You are correct. If I continue to click on the, OK button, on the information screen, it eventually stops popping up. However, there is no voice when NVDA is activated. Then, when I hit any key on the keyboard, the error message pops up again. It will not allow me to hit any keys while NVDA is activated. No matter what key I press, the error message pops up. To this point, I cannot get the NVDA the DA interface window to open at all.

Darrin Reid

On Jul 21, 2017, at 9:00 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I'm not sure how you get back to the default settings.  I had the impression that if you activate the ok button perhaps many times, the dialog goes away.  But then what happens?  Are you saying you then have no speech or does something else happen.  You haven't given, as far as I recall, a detailed description of just what happens such as, When I run NVDA I get the error message.  If I get rid of the error message, I then have no speech.  I'm not saying that happens but just what does?  And if I have written what happens, what happens if you use the command control NVDA key s then wait a moment, type the letter e and press enter.  Does the default e-speak voice come up?  You say you can't open the interface. 

With more information, we might be able to help further.  Also, to try to see what is going on, if you can't get into the interface, or to make sure if you can or not, try running Narrator if you lose NVDA speech or you can't tell what is going on.  It will do no harm running both screen-readers at once.  Also, you may need to uninstall NVDA, you can run Narrator to do this, then remove all left over remnants and reinstall it so the default voice is used, but let's see if we can solve the problem without doing so first. 

Gene

Windows thing.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Darrin Reid

>
>
>
> software.
>
> Gene
>
> interface window.
>
> Darrin Reid
>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Darrin,
>>
>> deleted).
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Quentin.
>>
>>> <dkr1717@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Darrin Reid
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Quentin Christensen
>>
>>
>> Ph +61 7 3149 3306
>> www.nvaccess.org
>

Gene

I'll let those who know more about the internal configuration of NVDA discuss the matter further.  I suspect there is an NVDA ini file you can change in Notepad so you can have the default synthesizer come up.  Depending on how much customization you've done on NVDA, trying that solution before uninstalling and reinstalling might save work and inconvenience. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, July 21, 2017 8:13 AM

You are correct. If I continue to click on the, OK button, on the information screen, it eventually stops popping up. However, there is no voice when NVDA is activated. Then, when I hit any key on the keyboard, the error message pops up again. It will not allow me to hit any keys while NVDA is activated. No matter what key I press, the error message pops up. To this point, I cannot get the NVDA the DA interface window to open at all.

Darrin Reid

Gene

Windows thing.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Darrin Reid

>
>
>
> software.
>
> Gene
>
> interface window.
>
> Darrin Reid
>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Darrin,
>>
>> deleted).
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Quentin.
>>
>>> <dkr1717@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Darrin Reid
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Quentin Christensen
>>
>>
>> Ph +61 7 3149 3306
>> www.nvaccess.org
>

Darrin Reid

I haven't done any customization to NVDA other than, adding one speech at all. However, the ad on that was downloaded was directly from the NVDA website. It is not the speech engine that is causing the problem. Hi appreciate any help.

Darrin Reid

On Jul 21, 2017, at 9:23 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I'll let those who know more about the internal configuration of NVDA discuss the matter further.  I suspect there is an NVDA ini file you can change in Notepad so you can have the default synthesizer come up.  Depending on how much customization you've done on NVDA, trying that solution before uninstalling and reinstalling might save work and inconvenience. 

Gene

Darrin Reid

Gene

Windows thing.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Darrin Reid

>
>
>
> software.
>
> Gene
>
> interface window.
>
> Darrin Reid
>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Darrin,
>>
>> deleted).
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Quentin.
>>
>>> <dkr1717@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Darrin Reid
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Quentin Christensen
>>
>>
>> Ph +61 7 3149 3306
>> www.nvaccess.org
>

Andre Fisher

NVDA+Control+R three times.

On 7/21/17, Darrin Reid via Groups.Io <dkr1717@...> wrote:
I haven't done any customization to NVDA other than, adding one speech at
all. However, the ad on that was downloaded was directly from the NVDA
website. It is not the speech engine that is causing the problem. Hi
appreciate any help.

Darrin Reid

I'll let those who know more about the internal configuration of NVDA
discuss the matter further. I suspect there is an NVDA ini file you can
change in Notepad so you can have the default synthesizer come up.
Depending on how much customization you've done on NVDA, trying that
solution before uninstalling and reinstalling might save work and
inconvenience.

Gene

You are correct. If I continue to click on the, OK button, on the
information screen, it eventually stops popping up. However, there is no
voice when NVDA is activated. Then, when I hit any key on the keyboard,
the error message pops up again. It will not allow me to hit any keys
while NVDA is activated. No matter what key I press, the error message
pops up. To this point, I cannot get the NVDA the DA interface window to
open at all.

Darrin Reid

I'm not sure how you get back to the default settings. I had the
impression that if you activate the ok button perhaps many times, the
dialog goes away. But then what happens? Are you saying you then have
no speech or does something else happen. You haven't given, as far as I
recall, a detailed description of just what happens such as, When I run
NVDA I get the error message. If I get rid of the error message, I then
have no speech. I'm not saying that happens but just what does? And if
I have written what happens, what happens if you use the command control
NVDA key s then wait a moment, type the letter e and press enter. Does
the default e-speak voice come up? You say you can't open the interface.

With more information, we might be able to help further. Also, to try to
see what is going on, if you can't get into the interface, or to make
sure if you can or not, try running Narrator if you lose NVDA speech or
you can't tell what is going on. It will do no harm running both
screen-readers at once. Also, you may need to uninstall NVDA, you can
run Narrator to do this, then remove all left over remnants and reinstall
it so the default voice is used, but let's see if we can solve the
problem without doing so first.

Gene

Windows thing.

I think at the moment you will need to find what is generating that box
and

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Darrin Reid

Control NVDA key r doesn't open anything. If you have changed settings
in
NVDA and not permanently saved the changes, control NVDA key r reverts

NVDA to the permanently saved settings.

I don't know what voice you are using now. Assumedly, since the voice
you
are trying to use isn't being allowed to run, the voice now in your
permanently saved settings is reading the message. Control NVDA key r

only might help if, for some reason, you tried to load a voice and it
didn't load properly, resulting in you loosing speech. Since you
hadn't
yet made the new voice permanent, control NVDA key r would revert to
the
old voice because it reverts to the permanently saved settings.

The first answer said that if the voice is restricted, only allowed to

read with a certain program, then you can't use it with NVDA. Is this
an
unrestricted voice that you purchased to be able to run with any
program
that can run it? If so, considering the lack of responses, it sounds
as
though its time to call technical support. You may have to go into the

actual voice program itself and authorize it. It sounds as though you
are
ggetting an error message that the voice needs to be authorized but
it's
just an error message. It doesn't offer fields you can use to
authorize
the voice. it is just an information message about what the problem
is.
That's how it sounds to me. You may need to call techhnical support to

verify that and find out how to authorize the voice from within the
voice
software.

Gene

Do you have any other suggestions? I tried what you said, but it did
not
work. Every time I hit any key, the error message window keeps popping

open. When I click the, OK button, on the window, it eventually goes
away.
No matter how quickly I hit the NVDA+ctrl+r, it will not open up the
interface window.

Darrin Reid

On Jul 19, 2017, at 8:50 PM, Quentin Christensen
<quentin@...>
wrote:

Hi Darrin,

It sounds like you are trying to use a TTS voice which is licensed to

another program? NVDA will let you use any standard SAPI TTS and many

others, but some voices are locked to specific programs. If you
are
trying to use a TTS voice you got with another program, it may not
work
with NVDA, even though NVDA will let you select it. In that case, you

need to choose another voice. If you get stuck, press NVDA+control+r
to
restore the saved configuration or NVDA+control+r three times quickly
to
restore NVDA to factory default settings (note that uninstalling and
reinstalling NVDA won't fix this as the configuration settings are not

deleted).

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 5:57 AM, Darrin Reid via Groups.Io
<dkr1717@...> wrote:
This is the error message that I am getting. It is preventing me from

using the application. I am working on a windows 10 desktop. How
do
I fix the following message.

Once I click on the, OK button, I never get the opportunity to put in
a
password. Every time I launch the program, this is the error message

that I keep getting. Please, help! engine"

Darrin Reid

--
Quentin Christensen

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now
available:
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org

Gene

I'm not sure what you mean by this message.  What add on did you download?  Is it an add on for a synthesizer?  From what you say, it appears that if you could run NVDA with no add ons, you would then use the default voice and uninstall the add on if it is causing the problem.  But when you run NVDA, you get an error message and that every key you press brings the error message back after you dismiss it. 

I know how to run NVDA and then tell it to restart with no add ons running.  But is there a way, perhaps through a command line option, to start it with no add ons running the first time?  Your description of the problem implies that the restart option may not be available and so you may have to run it with no add ons the first time it runs.

Gene

Sent: Friday, July 21, 2017 10:04 AM

I haven't done any customization to NVDA other than, adding one speech at all. However, the ad on that was downloaded was directly from the NVDA website. It is not the speech engine that is causing the problem. Hi appreciate any help.

Darrin Reid

Gene

Darrin Reid

Gene

Windows thing.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Darrin Reid

>
>
>
> software.
>
> Gene
>
> interface window.
>
> Darrin Reid
>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Darrin,
>>
>> deleted).
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Quentin.
>>
>>> <dkr1717@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Darrin Reid
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Quentin Christensen
>>
>>
>> Ph +61 7 3149 3306
>> www.nvaccess.org
>

Rui Fontes

Hello!

To restart NVDA with addons disabled, open Run dialog, Windows+R, type nvda -rm and press Ok.

You can return to factory configs deleting the file NVDA.ini present on your NVDA configurations folder. You can access it opening Run dialog, typing %appdata%\nvda and pressing Enter.

I don't know if you can do any of the above with that dialog open...
But, if possible, ask some sighted person to delete the file NVDA.ini.

Regards,

Rui

-----Mensagem Original-----
De: Gene
Data: 21 de julho de 2017 16:21
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Assunto: Re: [nvda] Error message

I'm not sure what you mean by this message. What add on did you download? Is it an add on for a synthesizer? From what you say, it appears that if you could run NVDA with no add ons, you would then use the default voice and uninstall the add on if it is causing the problem. But when you run NVDA, you get an error message and that every key you press brings the error message back after you dismiss it.

I know how to run NVDA and then tell it to restart with no add ons running. But is there a way, perhaps through a command line option, to start it with no add ons running the first time? Your description of the problem implies that the restart option may not be available and so you may have to run it with no add ons the first time it runs.

Gene

Darrin Reid

I'll let those who know more about the internal configuration of NVDA discuss the matter further. I suspect there is an NVDA ini file you can change in Notepad so you can have the default synthesizer come up. Depending on how much customization you've done on NVDA, trying that solution before uninstalling and reinstalling might save work and inconvenience.

Gene

You are correct. If I continue to click on the, OK button, on the information screen, it eventually stops popping up. However, there is no voice when NVDA is activated. Then, when I hit any key on the keyboard, the error message pops up again. It will not allow me to hit any keys while NVDA is activated. No matter what key I press, the error message pops up. To this point, I cannot get the NVDA the DA interface window to open at all.

Darrin Reid

I'm not sure how you get back to the default settings. I had the impression that if you activate the ok button perhaps many times, the dialog goes away. But then what happens? Are you saying you then have no speech or does something else happen. You haven't given, as far as I recall, a detailed description of just what happens such as, When I run NVDA I get the error message. If I get rid of the error message, I then have no speech. I'm not saying that happens but just what does? And if I have written what happens, what happens if you use the command control NVDA key s then wait a moment, type the letter e and press enter. Does the default e-speak voice come up? You say you can't open the interface.

With more information, we might be able to help further. Also, to try to see what is going on, if you can't get into the interface, or to make sure if you can or not, try running Narrator if you lose NVDA speech or you can't tell what is going on. It will do no harm running both screen-readers at once. Also, you may need to uninstall NVDA, you can run Narrator to do this, then remove all left over remnants and reinstall it so the default voice is used, but let's see if we can solve the problem without doing so first.

Gene

Windows thing.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Darrin Reid

Control NVDA key r doesn't open anything. If you have changed settings in

I don't know what voice you are using now. Assumedly, since the voice you
didn't load properly, resulting in you loosing speech. Since you hadn't
yet made the new voice permanent, control NVDA key r would revert to the

read with a certain program, then you can't use it with NVDA. Is this an
unrestricted voice that you purchased to be able to run with any program
that can run it? If so, considering the lack of responses, it sounds as
actual voice program itself and authorize it. It sounds as though you are
ggetting an error message that the voice needs to be authorized but it's
just an error message. It doesn't offer fields you can use to authorize
the voice. it is just an information message about what the problem is.
verify that and find out how to authorize the voice from within the voice
software.

Gene

Do you have any other suggestions? I tried what you said, but it did not
open. When I click the, OK button, on the window, it eventually goes away.
interface window.

Darrin Reid

On Jul 19, 2017, at 8:50 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>
wrote:

Hi Darrin,

others, but some voices are locked to specific programs. If you are
trying to use a TTS voice you got with another program, it may not work
need to choose another voice. If you get stuck, press NVDA+control+r to
restore the saved configuration or NVDA+control+r three times quickly to
deleted).

Regards

Quentin.

<dkr1717@...> wrote:
using the application. I am working on a windows 10 desktop. How do

Once I click on the, OK button, I never get the opportunity to put in a

Darrin Reid

--
Quentin Christensen

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available:

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org

Gene

You should be able to delete the ini file with a different screen-reader running and with NVDA not running.  .  But this won't be necessary if my understanding of the problem is correct.  Run NVDA with no add ons and default speech should run if the speech problem is being caused by an add on.  Then delete the add on that is causing the problem.  Then you can use the synthesizer dialog to choose whatever synthesizer you want, including E-Speak. 

Gene
Gene

Sent: Friday, July 21, 2017 10:37 AM

Hello!

To restart NVDA with addons disabled, open Run dialog, Windows+R, type
nvda -rm and press Ok.

You can return to factory configs deleting the file NVDA.ini present on your
NVDA configurations folder. You can access it opening Run dialog, typing
%appdata%\nvda and pressing Enter.

Regards,

Rui

I'm not sure what you mean by this message.  What add on did you download?
Is it an add on for a synthesizer?  From what you say, it appears that if
you could run NVDA with no add ons, you would then use the default voice and
uninstall the add on if it is causing the problem.  But when you run NVDA,
you get an error message and that every key you press brings the error
message back after you dismiss it.

I know how to run NVDA and then tell it to restart with no add ons running.
But is there a way, perhaps through a command line option, to start it with
no add ons running the first time?  Your description of the problem implies
that the restart option may not be available and so you may have to run it
with no add ons the first time it runs.

Gene

appreciate any help.

Darrin Reid

discuss the matter further.  I suspect there is an NVDA ini file you can
inconvenience.

Gene

voice when NVDA is activated. Then, when I hit any key on the keyboard, the
error message pops up again. It will not allow me to hit any keys while NVDA
is activated. No matter what key I press, the error message pops up. To this
point, I cannot get the NVDA the DA interface window to open at all.

Darrin Reid

I'm not sure how you get back to the default settings.  I had the impression
that if you activate the ok button perhaps many times, the dialog goes away.
But then what happens?  Are you saying you then have no speech or does
something else happen.  You haven't given, as far as I recall, a detailed
description of just what happens such as, When I run NVDA I get the error
message.  If I get rid of the error message, I then have no speech.  I'm not
saying that happens but just what does?  And if I have written what happens,
what happens if you use the command control NVDA key s then wait a moment,
type the letter e and press enter.  Does the default e-speak voice come up?
You say you can't open the interface.

With more information, we might be able to help further.  Also, to try to
see what is going on, if you can't get into the interface, or to make sure
if you can or not, try running Narrator if you lose NVDA speech or you can't
tell what is going on.  It will do no harm running both screen-readers at
once.  Also, you may need to uninstall NVDA, you can run Narrator to do
this, then remove all left over remnants and reinstall it so the default
voice is used, but let's see if we can solve the problem without doing so
first.

Gene

Windows thing.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Darrin Reid

>
>
>
> software.
>
> Gene
>
> interface window.
>
> Darrin Reid
>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Darrin,
>>
>> deleted).
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Quentin.
>>
>>> <dkr1717@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Darrin Reid
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Quentin Christensen
>>
>>
>> Ph +61 7 3149 3306
>> www.nvaccess.org
>

Gene

I tried your method using a portable version of NVDA and it didn't work.  NVDA ran with all add ons running. 

Perhaps removing the ini file will allow NVDA to run with default speech.  Or perhaps editing it so that e-speak is the designated synthesizer will allow it to run using e-speak. 

Gene

Hello!

nvda -rm and press Ok.

Regards,

Rui

Gene

appreciate any help.

Darrin Reid

inconvenience.

Gene

Darrin Reid

first.

Gene

Windows thing.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Darrin Reid

>
>
>
> software.
>
> Gene
>
> interface window.
>
> Darrin Reid
>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Darrin,
>>
>> deleted).
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Quentin.
>>
>>> <dkr1717@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Darrin Reid
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Quentin Christensen
>>
>>
>> Ph +61 7 3149 3306
>> www.nvaccess.org
>

Rui Fontes

Sorry! I have copied the wrong command...

The correct is:
nvda -r --disable-addons

Rui

Data: 21 de julho de 2017 16:55

I tried your method using a portable version of NVDA and it didn't work. NVDA ran with all add ons running.

Perhaps removing the ini file will allow NVDA to run with default speech. Or perhaps editing it so that e-speak is the designated synthesizer will allow it to run using e-speak.

Gene

Hello!

nvda -rm and press Ok.

Regards,

Rui

I'm not sure what you mean by this message. What add on did you download?
Is it an add on for a synthesizer? From what you say, it appears that if
uninstall the add on if it is causing the problem. But when you run NVDA,

no add ons running the first time? Your description of the problem implies

Gene

appreciate any help.

Darrin Reid

inconvenience.

Gene

Darrin Reid

I'm not sure how you get back to the default settings. I had the impression
But then what happens? Are you saying you then have no speech or does
something else happen. You haven't given, as far as I recall, a detailed
message. If I get rid of the error message, I then have no speech. I'm not
saying that happens but just what does? And if I have written what happens,
type the letter e and press enter. Does the default e-speak voice come up?

tell what is going on. It will do no harm running both screen-readers at
once. Also, you may need to uninstall NVDA, you can run Narrator to do
first.

Gene

Windows thing.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Darrin Reid

software.

Gene

interface window.

Darrin Reid

wrote:

Hi Darrin,

restore the saved configuration or NVDA+control+r three times quickly to
deleted).

Regards

Quentin.

<dkr1717@...> wrote:
using the application. I am working on a windows 10 desktop. How do

Once I click on the, OK button, I never get the opportunity to put in a

Darrin Reid

--
Quentin Christensen

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available:

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org

Gene

I tried it with a portable version and it works.  NVDA doesn't have to be running to issue this command.  it will run NVDA with no add ons if it isn't running when you issue the command.

Gene

Sent: Friday, July 21, 2017 11:04 AM

The correct is:
nvda -r --disable-addons

Rui

I tried your method using a portable version of NVDA and it didn't work.
NVDA ran with all add ons running.

Perhaps removing the ini file will allow NVDA to run with default speech.
Or perhaps editing it so that e-speak is the designated synthesizer will
allow it to run using e-speak.

Gene

Hello!

nvda -rm and press Ok.

Regards,

Rui

Gene

appreciate any help.

Darrin Reid

inconvenience.

Gene

Darrin Reid

first.

Gene

Windows thing.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Darrin Reid

>
>
>
> software.
>
> Gene
>
> interface window.
>
> Darrin Reid
>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Darrin,
>>
>> deleted).
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Quentin.
>>
>>> <dkr1717@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Darrin Reid
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Quentin Christensen
>>
>>
>> Ph +61 7 3149 3306
>> www.nvaccess.org
>

Rui Fontes

And, to be more exact, it only is necessary:
nvda --disable-addons

since the parameter -r is to restart NVDA... Since it is not running, it is not necessary to restart...

Rui

Data: 21 de julho de 2017 17:35

I tried it with a portable version and it works. NVDA doesn't have to be running to issue this command. it will run NVDA with no add ons if it isn't running when you issue the command.

Gene

Sent: Friday, July 21, 2017 11:04 AM

The correct is:
nvda -r --disable-addons

Rui

I tried your method using a portable version of NVDA and it didn't work.
NVDA ran with all add ons running.

Perhaps removing the ini file will allow NVDA to run with default speech.
Or perhaps editing it so that e-speak is the designated synthesizer will
allow it to run using e-speak.

Gene

Hello!

nvda -rm and press Ok.

Regards,

Rui

I'm not sure what you mean by this message. What add on did you download?
Is it an add on for a synthesizer? From what you say, it appears that if
uninstall the add on if it is causing the problem. But when you run NVDA,

no add ons running the first time? Your description of the problem implies

Gene

appreciate any help.

Darrin Reid

inconvenience.

Gene

Darrin Reid

I'm not sure how you get back to the default settings. I had the impression
But then what happens? Are you saying you then have no speech or does
something else happen. You haven't given, as far as I recall, a detailed
message. If I get rid of the error message, I then have no speech. I'm not
saying that happens but just what does? And if I have written what happens,
type the letter e and press enter. Does the default e-speak voice come up?

tell what is going on. It will do no harm running both screen-readers at
once. Also, you may need to uninstall NVDA, you can run Narrator to do
first.

Gene

Windows thing.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Darrin Reid

software.

Gene

interface window.

Darrin Reid

wrote:

Hi Darrin,