describing symbols

Don H

How do you get NVDA to stop describing symbols? For example within a Email sighted help tells me that there is a symbol that looks like a sun. NVDA reads it as Black Sun with Rays.

Andre Fisher

This is because you are using a synthesizer that recognises emoji. At
present, NVDA, and other screen readers, do not give you control of
reporting these. It is rather synth specific.

On 7/20/17, Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
How do you get NVDA to stop describing symbols? For example within a
Email sighted help tells me that there is a symbol that looks like a
sun. NVDA reads it as Black Sun with Rays.

Gene

If the exact same description occurs in message after message and if it interferes with reading text efficiently, you can try copying the exact text to the clipboard and then using the speech dictionary to cause the phrase not to be spoken.  I did that in HTML e-mails that said nonsense like curved line in every e-mail and other such nonsense.

When people take blindness accessibility recommendations seriously for Internet sites with no understanding of them, all sorts of nonsense may result such as something like the description curved line being placed on the site..

How do you get NVDA to stop describing symbols?  For example within a
Email sighted help tells me that there is a symbol that looks like a
sun.  NVDA reads it as Black Sun with Rays.

It could be Webdings, too.

It's a thorny decision to not describe emojis, emoticons, or things like webdings.   They get used in many instances to convey something the text itself might not.  Then again, there are people who pepper their communications with them such that they are, to most of us, just garbage.  There's no AI that can yet fathom which situation might be which.

            Niels Bohr

Gene

I saw the messages about imogees (spelling) and that may be a cause as well.  But I've also seen descriptions as a part of web pages or html newsletters that are written out on the page for blind people.  They are, I'm sure, writing using something like black on black contrast so a sighted person won't see them but they provide no useful information.