Several windows 10 users have got..

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Windows logo
Don't wait-review your privacy settings to get ready for the next update
It doesn't take long. But if you're not ready to do it right now, we can postpone this one last time.
.
We want you to have the latest update so that Windows runs smoothly.
.
We'll save your settings and notify you before the update starts. It won't happen immediately.
Review settingsBackground

So I am assuming this is the latest mega update of 10, but what is all this about settings? In my experience the update has just been go ahead or not now.
Brian
bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

The Gamages

This sounds like the message that you get prior to the creators update,
it wants to check your security settings, I ignored this several times
but it still zapped me in the end.

Best Regards, Jim.

[...]

Yes but why is it asking this question. From memory all you usually get is that a new version of it is available with extra features, do you want to now or later etc.
[...]

I don't know is the answer to that, a friend who actually clicked on the
settings stuff got nowhere,he wasn't asked to do anything with them, so
it seemed a pointless exercise, maybe Windows itself wants to look so
that they don't make too much of a mess of it when they try to update?,
[smile].
I didn't do anything and got the creators update anyway.

Best Regards, Jim.

[...]

Windows 10 doesn't let you reject updates.  You may be able to delay them, but that's all you can do.  Of course, you could entirely stop the update service but I don't know if you could manually install security updates and keep the operating system patched against security vulnerabilities.  And perhaps security patches might not install properly in older versions of Windows.

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 08:42 am, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Yes but why is it asking this question. From memory all you usually get is that a new version of it is available with extra features, do you want to now or later etc.
Because people legitimately complained about prior major updates to Windows 10 resetting Privacy (or other) settings as part of the update without any notification whatsoever.  This update also contains several new settings that were not there before, and Microsoft wants you to choose how you'd like those settings to be set so that this can be applied at the end of the update.

I tell everyone that when any of the Version updates takes place to Windows 10 you should always take a few minutes afterward, and that's all it requires, to cruise through every pane in the Privacy settings to ensure that things are set as you'd like them to be.  It also helps you to become more familiar with what you can control and where you need to go to tweak it as far as privacy goes.

And, as Gene has already noted, Windows 10 marked the introduction of Windows as a Service.  You cannot decline updates and if you use any method to rig it such that you don't get them you won't be getting security updates which are absolutely essential unless you're willing to keep reviewing the update catalog and manually downloading and applying same.  I'd rather not have to do that and my own professional experience informs my opinion that Microsoft, or any operating system creator and maintainer, knows a lot better than I do about what needs to be updated with their operating systems.  Nobody has put it better than one of the BSOD experts on BleepingComputer.com with regard to Windows Updates, regardless of the version of Windows under discussion:

There really isn't a point to checking for updates and not installing them. . .  It's important to install all available updates. I've been doing this since the days of DOS, and I still don't have the confidence to pick and choose among updates.  There are just too many variables involved - and most people can't evaluate the full consequences of installing/not installing updates.

        ~ John Carrona, AKA usasma on BleepingComputer.com, http://www.carrona.org/

            Niels Bohr

By the way, if you ignore this dialog for a sufficiently long time (and I think it will pop up once a week for five weeks, but don't hold me to that) you will eventually be upgraded to Version 1703 and the defaults that Microsoft chooses for those Privacy Settings you were asked to review will be applied at the end of the update.  You won't avoid the update perpetually by ignoring this pop-up dialog.

            Niels Bohr

Arlene

Hi there: If you don't want the updates and only want to select the ones you
want. Can you hide them like you can with 7?

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 03:49 pm, Arlene wrote:
If you don't want the updates and only want to select the ones you
want. Can you hide them like you can with 7?
No, you cannot.  Microsoft has changed their update philosophy, and wisely in my opinion, to be that "we actually know what our OS needs in terms of updates - end users do not."

The ability to pick and choose updates is being retroactively removed from Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 as well if the tech press is correct.  I'm surprised that it hasn't been done already, and it probably has on machines that have automatic updating turned on or where updates are all downloaded and the user chooses when to apply them.

It is expected under Windows 10 that all updates will be applied and that your machine will be kept on the latest version of Windows 10 as those versions are released and rolled out to cohorts of machines in cycles over a period of months.

            Niels Bohr

Ronald J Glaser

I would say you could because i changed the behavior of windows 10 and yes you should be able to do this. but right now I can't remember where i went to do this.

--
a friend like you
makes the darkness bright!

The Gamages

Hello,

I bow to your greater experience, but , if we are not capable of choossing relevant updates, how can we be sure that our privacy settings are as they should be.
What about anti virus? I have Eset smart security and have just written to them for their comments, they do turn off some windows stuff  and usually give a message to say that Windows updates are available and should be installed, I’m sure Eset are on top of all this and I will await their reply with interest, if it’s relevant I will pass on anything they say.

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 5:09 PM

[...]

Brian  - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

     The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

            ~ Niels Bohr

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Its a nightmare for the average user never mind us though.
[...]

Hi,

The ultimate idea behind Windows as a Service (WaaS) is to get everyone on the same page, same ecosystem, same principles, and same attitudes:

  • Same page: same or similar compatibility (note that the words “same” and “similar” are two completely different words).
  • Same ecosystem: to reduce fragmentation.
  • Same principles: updates, deployment and what not.
  • Same attitudes: update checks, testing new things as soon as possible and what not.

It’s been rough in the start, but as Windows 10 is turning two years old next week, the transition is going well (not smooth, but people are starting to realize implications of this new model). For instance, in the early days, some programs (including one or two antivirus programs) didn’t work well with Windows 10 and WaaS in general; that is changing slowly. When it comes to screen readers, it produced mixed results.

Regarding privacy settings: I may need to write this to the Win10 forum later (I cannot talk about this with authority here, as I want to tone down a lot on this forum), but I think it’d be a good idea to review privacy settings before and after new Windows 10 feature updates, as well as meet changes introduced in Settings and other apps.

A bit tangent: regarding NVDA’s commitment to Windows 10 and older Windows releases: as long as there is a need to provide accessibility workarounds and until the day third-party (not Microsoft) UWP developers embrace accessibility, I will work on Windows 10 App Essentials. I did put Microsoft in parentheses as Redmond is actively evangelizing accessibility principles, and I have advised them several times to persuade third-party devs to follow their examples. Also, older versions of Windows will be supported as long as possible, although as I said earlier, NVDA developers cannot support old releases forever.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 5:09 PM

[...]

Hello Joseph,

O K, I will take the hit here,there must be others who, like me, have tried to get into the privacy settings without success, I typed “privacy settings” into the search box after pressing the windows key, pressing enter on any item does nothing, pressing tab takes me through a lot of other stuff and, to cut a long story short, I can make no sense of it. We are urged to look at all this, but, as in many cases, it is assumed that we have unlimited knowledge of these things.
Am I the only thick one on this list? or would some explanation of how to look at the privacy settings be useful to others, thank you for some simple advice.

I do appreciate everything  that yourself and the other developers do for NVDA, but sometimes it gets a bit too technical for me.
Stay well.

Best Regards, Jim.

[...]

I just think then that Microsoft have misjudged the expertise of many users by using these privacy settings and other things that the user has probably left as default since they got their computer and hence are worried that whatever is about to happen might upset something and or make them have to access and change something they have no knowledge of.

~ John Carrona, AKA <https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/u/35824/usasma/> usasma on BleepingComputer.com, <http://www.carrona.org/> http://www.carrona.org/

--
Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063 (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

~ Niels Bohr

Hi,
In a way, giving users a chance to take a look at privacy settings before installation of feature updates is a form of accommodation by Microsoft. This came about after numerous complaints were raised regarding lack of transparency and privacy concerns about Windows 10 ecosystem.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Ah, that…

The fastest way to get there, besides searching for it is pressing Windows+I, press TAB to go to categories, then press right arrow until you arrive at Privacy. Press ENTER, and press TAB to go to subcategories. For each category, press ENTER and press TAB to go through settings.

Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 5:09 PM

[...]

Thank you for that, I will explore.

Best Regards, Jim.

[...]

sorry, windows plus I does nothing.

[...]