Topics

question please, Re: [nvda] accessing jean's sight.

Laurie Mehta

Hi,

Could someone please post how to remove a bookmark in firefox?
I want to remove my bookmark for now to avoid clicking on the tutorial page until it is safe again.
Thanks.

It is totally rotten that anyone would hijack such a thoughtfully arranged resource for us.

Gene, I'm sorry that this has happened.
-Laurie

Gene

Move to the book mark in the list.  Open the context menu and type the letter d.  The book mark will be deleted.  If you look through the context menu when you open it, you will see delete but this is the short cut command.  When you delete it, you will be placed back in the book marks menu.

Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 8:54 PM
Subject: question please, Re: [nvda] accessing jean's sight.

Hi,

Could someone please post how to remove a bookmark in firefox?
I want to remove my bookmark for now to avoid clicking on the tutorial page until it is safe again.
Thanks.

It is totally rotten that anyone would hijack such a thoughtfully arranged resource for us.

Gene, I'm sorry that this has happened.
-Laurie

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi guys

it is gene from New Zealand who has the Accessibility Central.net website that is been diverted at the moment. it is not my website so please do not go to it just in case.

until it is sorted out or hosted elsewhere i have zipped the website up in a program called 7 zip file manager which was used to do it.

you might need a program like that to access the contents of it.

you might have to make a folder first then put all the files into it.

then it is a matter of going to the index file and pressing the enter key on it. to get to the information.

the zip file has been scanned with anti virus and malware programs and it says it is clean.

If you want to download the zip file it is going to be put into a drop box account which i will share on this list if you want it until this is sorted out.

the drop box link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujcz7ui1i7qxp58/Accessibility%20Central%20Website.zip?dl=0
the copy or back up is from the 19 th of July if it is all there and it looks like it.
not the thing i would usually do but just in case the info is lost for any reason i would hate it not been shared as it was doing for the community.

Gene nz

On 7/23/2017 1:54 PM, Laurie Mehta via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi,

Could someone please post how to remove a bookmark in firefox?
I want to remove my bookmark for now to avoid clicking on the tutorial page until it is safe again.
Thanks.

It is totally rotten that anyone would hijack such a thoughtfully arranged resource for us.

Gene, I'm sorry that this has happened.
-Laurie

You said it is going to be put into a Drop Box file which will be shared on the site if people want it.  You then gave a link.  It appears that you have already shared it by giving the link.  Did you mean something else?  It appears that the file can now be downloaded.  but are you using a free or paid account for Drop Box?  the free account has much more severe data restrictions and the link may become inactive if too many people down load it.  I'm not sure what might happen.  But Drop Box may not be a good place to host the file unless you know what the data restrictions are for your kind of account and how likely a number of downloads are to pass the restriction.  Perhaps there is a better way to host it.  For example, maybe your site should be downloaded by someone who has to do with the NVDA site and the file can be temporarily hosted there or maybe something like Google Drive might be used.  I'm not suggesting that any of these are good alternatives but making the file generally available on Drop Box may not be a good idea and it might be a good idea to discuss alternatives.

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:50 PM
Subject: Re: question please, Re: [nvda] accessing jean's sight.

[...]

I see that the file is only 1.1mb, which is much smaller than I anticipated.  But it still might be worth considering data restrictions unless you are using the paid account in which case, I suspect they won't matter.  But I'm not sure.

At any rate, you may have already thought about these things and you may have determined that there is no cause for concern.  I'll be looking forward to your reply.

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:50 PM

[...]

I just checked your site out of curiosity and guess what?  Your site is back.  It appears that the Drop Box file need not be used and that people may use your site again.  I went there with scripts turned off for safety reasons and I would advise those using Internet Explorer to have both scripts turned off and active X controls off to until we are assured the site is safe again.  But it appears that it is.  I'm not sure what or if any testing needs to be done to be sure.

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:50 PM

[...]

David Moore

Hi Gene NZ!

I downloaded the Drop Box Zip  file. And I have 57 HTML files, that all open great!

I was able to get to all of the tutorials and all other information. Thanks a lot, Gene NZ! I am so happy that I have all of these tutorials right on my computer now in HTML form. Thank you so much for giving us that zip file to download.

Have a great one, and I hope your site gets straightened out soon.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:50 PM

[...]

Wow, Gene!

This is great news! Well, I have the zip file on my computer anyway LOL!

Thanks for letting us know, Gene!

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:50 PM

[...]

hi gene

it is the free account i put it in.

I can not see how i think 2 people can see the site online.

When after clearing the cache etc in all of my browsers it still comes up with the other site.

All the browsers were reset yesterday and after clearing the cache it still comes up as the other site

so i am at a loss?

Gene nz

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:50 PM

[...]

Dennis L

I was also able to go to it.

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:50 PM

[...]

I got the correct site just now.  I'm not sure what is going on and I don't have the technical knowledge to know if this makes sense.  I wonder if there is a DNS problem?  Could someone be changing where DNS servers, if that is the right term, resolve to and doing nothing to the site or the actual server itself?

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:50 PM

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Hi just in the last few minutes the site has gone back to normal again. I guess its gradually clearing out the faulty pages in caches around the world now.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

I just tried the site and it's working fine now.

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:50 PM

[...]

It may be that DNS servers are finding and correcting where the site address resolves.  When a web site changes its address, as I recall, it takes a day or two for DNS servers around the world to update themselves.  In this case, for some reason, malicious, accidental, or whatever, the name of the site was resolving to a different page.  This has evidently been corrected and now the DNS servers are updating the numeric address they use when the web site name is used.

Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 10:38 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Yep, that's exactly what happened.  There are things hackers can do to change dns entries if the dns servers aren't locked down, (or if the hackers are persistent enough, they can do it even if the dns servers are locked down if the hackers can guess from where updates are allowed), then it's a simple matter for said hacker to change dns records to point elsewhere.  Generally, this sort of thing happens when hosting companies leave their dns servers open to updates from anywhere (not just their own servers/networks), and as a result, it becomes an exercise in record guessing for the hackers in question).  Unfortunately, a lot of hosting companies still don't lock down their dns records even after repeated hacks like this, either because they don't know how (someone really ought to teach isps that dns configuration is more than just copying some text files and dropping them into your dns directory), or because they think they can't lock down things because they have updates coming from too many locations (this is false, but often times, it's easier to leave dns servers open to facilitate such updates), and so, hackers have a field day with dns records, and the poor domain owners usually have to deal with the fall-out).  Not fun for anyone but (presumably) the hackers in this go around.  <sigh>

I honestly don't see the draw of all of this nonsense, but apparently, someone gets something out of it, which is why it's done, but I never did figure out what the point of it all was.

In any case, it appears the problem is (for the moment) solved, and the site should be operational for the time being, until somebody gets it into their heads to go make said changes again.

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:50 PM

[...]

I can see the website on my side of the world now cross fingers it never happens again.

I am stoked to see it back in its place and not been redirected like in the last week.

it seemed really weird though that after the site was drop boxed for the list after that not sure how long but reports started to come in that some people could see the website even if it was going up and down.

Gene nz

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:50 PM

[...]

I am so happy for you, because you did so much work with that site, and you have so much info on there. Thanks a lot, Gene for all you do for us on there! I am so happy that it is back, and may it never go away and may it be protected.

Have a great one, Gene!

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:50 PM

[...]

You'd think with the cloud as it is, that you could just lock it all down, have a cloud system handle things like this, cloud systems can and do handle stuff like this.

Look at what happened when bits of google/ amazonaws dropped off the face of the net for a bit a lot of the net died so again they allready handle most of the net they can probably handle the rest if given the right instruction.

On 7/25/2017 8:08 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Image NVDA certified expert

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes that implies that when it was incorrect if we had tried the numeric version it should have worked then??
[...]

Well when I was younger and more foolish and on dial up it was indeed fun to go into hacked numbers with modems on the end and attempt to get in and see what was there. I certainly did no harm back then, but you could get into some very interesting places like big companies records and some government departments and most people used passwordslike fred or 1234 back then.

There were not the crimianals about then of course.
I'd have thought nowadays it would be relativel simple to have an alert every time a dns look up was changed so it could be looked at and seen if it was genuine.
anyway this is way off topic here.