NVDA 2017.2 on new desktop PC announcing Unknown!

Mailing Lists

Hi All,

Got a new desktop, never used before and first thing I did was to install NVDA latest version. After navigating around the main desktop and some of the windows 10 settings screens I kept getting NVDA announcing, "Unknown" all the time as I tabbed and so on. I disabled any lock screens, screen savers and the like. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the video card which is an Intel HD 630.
After doing all the above I uninstalled and reinstalled NVDA but still no success. Even when I go onto the Taskbar and arrow along it, NVDA just announces, "Unknown". On the main desktop screen when I open up a context menu there is nothing, NVDA doesn't announce any of the menus options, not even announce that the menu is in fact open.
Just wondered if there were any suggestions as to what might be going on here.

Many thanks for a great list and wonderful program such as NVDA.

Paul.

Chris

What build are you running?

Older builds have this issue.

Best to upgrade to the latest build and go from there

Sent: 24 July 2017 11:58
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA 2017.2 on new desktop PC announcing Unknown!

[...]

I am using the following version and build of windows 10;

Version 1703
Build: 15063.483

Also using latest version of NVDA.

Paul.

Best to upgrade to the latest build and go from there

Sent: 24 July 2017 11:58
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

[...]

Gene

This may be a problem with unregistered dll files but I'm not sure.  What brand and model computer is this?  I believe we had a similar question a week or two ago and it would be good to know if the brand and/or model is the same.

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 6:01 AM

[...]

I got the following from the new computer;

Asus Celtic I7-7700h

Paul.

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 6:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

I think I'd first ask for more details of the system and what else is actually installed on it.
This sort of thing sounds like the nvda program is simply not seeing any events to tell it what the various controls actually are.
What does narrator do?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Sent: 24 July 2017 11:58
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

The usual questions are did you take off a load of junk software or did somebody else do so before you got it. New machines often come with rubbish demo software on them that keep on popping up reminders etc. Anything could have mangled the registration of dll files but before you go hunting for that I think we need to hear from the experts on windows 10 versions about yours.

I'd also be interested in any bespoke non standard software on it or an anti virus that is over the top as some with very well known names often are, though I have to say, a complete scuttling of access info is a hard one to lay at their door!

If its new it might be worth taking it back and getting them to test nvda on another sample just in case its a faulty install.

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 6:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

hi Paul

I had the same problem on a blind members computer saying the same sort of thing. I put the instructions up on my website so it would fix it, but some how some one is re diverting it to another site and it has taken over now even the links to the same site. so unless i can fix the problem i might even kill the domain it goes to.

I would have to check also what model she had but is a laptop by asus and is on windows 1607

I still have a copy on my computer with the instructions but you might need a sighted person to do it.

hers is the first i have come across that has done that. most times you just install nvda and it works.

the instructions are below.

Troubleshooting - NVDA says “unknown” or “pane” in all of your browsers, Mozilla Thunderbird email client and other places
If for some reason you have problems with NVDA saying “unknown” or “pane” check for the following symptoms:

In all of your browsers, or the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, no matter what you do, you still hear “unknown” or “pane”.

In the browser, email client and other menus you notice you cannot get into your menus, or you are unable to use the quick navigation keys

When you have been told the page is loaded and notice strange behaviour

Mozilla Thunderbird saying unknown while you try to navigate it

Your applications key does not work with it being spoken out and other strange behaviour in Windows

The running applications icons are not being spoken out
It might be a good idea to do the following:
Please note: If you are hearing “unknown” or “pane” (as discussed above) NVDA might seem like it is still working properly but it may not be completely in Windows and other programmes.
You could try the following solution which will allow you to re-register your dll files in case they are causing the problem.
Press the Windows key then type the following into the search box. Type in “command prompt”. Once you have located command prompt, in the search results, press the Applications key to bring up the context menu. Arrow down to select “run as administrator” and press the Enter key. This will take you to a command prompt window. This will not be spoken out. You may need sighted assistance for this.
Type in the following command
for %x in (c:\windows\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %x
This should re-register all components in the system32 folder.
When it is finished, you can close the command prompt window with the Alt + F4 key. You should notice now where NVDA was saying “unknown” as in some examples given, NVDA should now read the icons in the running applications area of Windows, speak the content of the webpage and menus, and also in Mozilla Thunderbird and other places in Windows including the Windows applications context menu.

Gene nz

On 7/24/2017 11:01 PM, Mailing Lists wrote:
[...]

Before you do it with the instructions sent while nvda is running do the following.

restart nvda, then use the nvda key + leter N to get into the preferences of NVDA.

Arrow to general settings then press the enter key. You will need to tab a few times until you hear nvda sayLogging level: debug

In your case it will say info it is a combo box and change it down to that settings, then tab down to the ok button.

repeat the process to get to this other section but down this time.

Arrow down to the tools menu a sub menu will come off it. It is called view log then press the enter key.

this will have just about every keystroke etc or or where the problems might be for the developers.

this log will need to be saved to your desktop so is easy to find. Some body should after you send it put it into a ticket i know there is one but will have to find it. I do not have access to do this.

you can not send it as a attachment as it gets stripped out of the emails so might have to be sent in one.

make sure the steps for in the general section are done first set the level  to debug or what ever the setting is in this email.

then do the log stuff. make sure you tab around  etc where the problems were saying unknow etc so it catches it so hopefully a update to the ticket can be done.

[...]

hi gene

I will also get back to you on her model as well but will not be until this avo with make model operating system etc.

Gene nz

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 6:01 AM

[...]

In the scenario I had when the dlls were not registered not even the nvda menus worked.

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]

Mailing Lists

Hi Gene,

What can I say???, you are a "Legend". I just ran your command and it worked perfectly. All items are now speaking normally and I am able to work in Chrome, IE and Edge. Even context menus and the Taskbar icons read as they should.

Again, many thanks.

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries <http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries> (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi paul

Did you change the settings in the previous email to debug and also save the log?

When it was saying unknown or pane? it may give the developers some thing to see what caused it and hopefully stop it from happening again.

the instructions come off a ticket when i first had the problem.

It might be a good idea to set a restore point just in case. Touch wood it does not happen again.

The page or ticket where i refer to is https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2807

Look for references on may 19 where it came from. sounds like updates might do it? but not sure there.

It helped me out so then i put it on the website just in case it happened to others.

Gene nz

On 7/25/2017 9:30 PM, Mailing Lists wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately Gene in my haste to get up and running with the computer I didn't notice your follow-up email till after I tried out the possible solution which thankfully worked. Is there anything I can do to log this?.

"It might be a good idea to set a restore point just in case. Touch wood it does not happen again."

Just created a restore point now Gene.

Paul.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

hi Paul

just set the log level to debug and hopefully it is caught.. I hear some times it happens on a new machine or after a windows update but not sure only from what i hear.

yet all the computers here do not ever have  that problem they are all running windows 10 creators update apart from 2 of them i think.

By the way under tools then view log there you would see the log of where you tabbed etc on the computer.

Gene nz

Gene nz

On 7/25/2017 10:12 PM, Mailing Lists wrote:
Hi Gene,

"Did you change the settings in the previous email to debug and also save the log?"

Unfortunately Gene in my haste to get up and running with the computer I didn't notice your follow-up email till after I tried out the possible solution which thankfully worked. Is there anything I can do to log this?.

"It might be a good idea to set a restore point just in case. Touch wood it does not happen again."

Just created a restore point now Gene.

Paul.

We'll have to see what happens in future.  If we get such other reports we will have to see if they are all from the same company or the same company and model of machine.  I believe in both the current case and the last one, the brand of computer was the same.  I don't know if the model was the same.  New computers shouldn't have these files unregistered.

[...]

Yes on the machine I had that did this, I had to do a reboot of the machine then it worked normally.
That was a Windows 7 I think which had had Office 2010 demo removed.

I fail to see how Microsoft can still be having this problem, since a simple one line in an uninstaller script would banish it for good I'd have thought.
Weird.

I get the feeling that certain files get restored from somewhere and b simply not actually registered. However in a brand new machien this point to something odd about how they are installing windows at the factory.
[...]

No indeed. Is this line actually being put up in a prominent position for nvda new users, perhaps somebody should do so.

Its interesting and I wonder if the 64 bit files are also so unregistered, and also whether there is a location in the register that is a way to see these facts, a flag set or something.