From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ralph Boersema
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:35 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Footnotes in Word Documents

Dear Friends,

NVDA navigates footnotes in MSWord documents with distressingly long delays. Is there any cure for this?

Warmly,
Ralph

James AUSTIN

Hi Ralph

I have just performed a very quick test. NVDA seems to read the two footnotes I have created without a delay. They were not long, nor did they spread across pages. I could create something, but would you be willing to share a copy of your document with me please? Perhaps we can work out together what is going on?

Thanks

James

On 27/07/2017 15:32, Ralph Boersema wrote:
Is this only my problem or do others have it too? I ask because no one has commented.

Ralph

NVDA navigates footnotes in MSWord documents with distressingly long delays. Is there any cure for this?

Warmly,
Ralph

Ralph Boersema

Dear James,

I have attached a document. The problem seems to relate to the length of a document and the location of the footnote within longer documents.

Thank you!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io > [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io
[mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>] On Behalf Of Ralph
Subject: >> [nvda] Footnotes in Word Documents >> >> Dear Friends, >> >>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Quentin Christensen

Which version of Word are you using?  In recent versions of Word, it's alt+s then H, and you can arrow through or press control+down arrow to jump from one footnote to the next.  You can get back by pressing the applications key and then G for 'Go to footnotes".

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 4:25 PM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
hi quentin and all.
could you please how do you navigate between footnotes in microsoft word?
thanks so much and God bless you.

> I just had a look at the footnotes issue, and I found with the document in
> Web view or draft, where the footnotes are displayed in a separate pane at
> the bottom of the window, this sluggishness is evident.  If the view mode
> is changed to Print (alt+w, then p), the sluggishness seems to go away.
>
> There is an open issue for this, (thanks Derek) and I just added a bit more
> info to it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6902  Feel free to
> subscribe if you are interested.
>

> Regards
>
> Quentin.
>
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Ralph Boersema <ralph@...> wrote:
>
>> Dear James and Antony,
>>

>> You can contact me at ralph.boersema@..., so that I can send the
>> file to you off the list.
>>

>> Ralph

I’m sorry. What’s the applications key?

Which version of Word are you using?  In recent versions of Word, it's alt+s then H, and you can arrow through or press control+down arrow to jump from one footnote to the next.  You can get back by pressing the applications key and then G for 'Go to footnotes".

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 4:25 PM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:

hi quentin and all.
could you please how do you navigate between footnotes in microsoft word?
thanks so much and God bless you.

> I just had a look at the footnotes issue, and I found with the document in
> Web view or draft, where the footnotes are displayed in a separate pane at
> the bottom of the window, this sluggishness is evident.  If the view mode
> is changed to Print (alt+w, then p), the sluggishness seems to go away.
>
> There is an open issue for this, (thanks Derek) and I just added a bit more
> info to it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6902  Feel free to
> subscribe if you are interested.
>

> Regards
>
> Quentin.
>
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Ralph Boersema <ralph@...> wrote:
>
>> Dear James and Antony,
>>

>> You can contact me at ralph.boersema@..., so that I can send the
>> file to you off the list.
>>

>> Ralph

Rosemarie Chavarria

It's the one to the left of the right-hand control key.

Which version of Word are you using?  In recent versions of Word, it's alt+s then H, and you can arrow through or press control+down arrow to jump from one footnote to the next.  You can get back by pressing the applications key and then G for 'Go to footnotes".

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 4:25 PM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:

hi quentin and all.
could you please how do you navigate between footnotes in microsoft word?
thanks so much and God bless you.

> I just had a look at the footnotes issue, and I found with the document in
> Web view or draft, where the footnotes are displayed in a separate pane at
> the bottom of the window, this sluggishness is evident.  If the view mode
> is changed to Print (alt+w, then p), the sluggishness seems to go away.
>
> There is an open issue for this, (thanks Derek) and I just added a bit more
> info to it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6902  Feel free to
> subscribe if you are interested.
>

> Regards
>
> Quentin.
>
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Ralph Boersema <ralph@...> wrote:
>
>> Dear James and Antony,
>>

>> You can contact me at ralph.boersema@..., so that I can send the
>> file to you off the list.
>>

>> Ralph

I prefer calling it the context menu key, but everyone else calls it applications key so I defer to that.  Either way, on a full size keyboard, it is usually the key to the left of the right control key.  Some keyboards have two windows key and some only have one.  Laptops might have the applications key in a random place, or not at all.  If your keyboard doesn't have one, you can simulate it with shift+f10.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> wrote:

It's the one to the left of the right-hand control key.

Which version of Word are you using?  In recent versions of Word, it's alt+s then H, and you can arrow through or press control+down arrow to jump from one footnote to the next.  You can get back by pressing the applications key and then G for 'Go to footnotes".

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 4:25 PM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:

hi quentin and all.
could you please how do you navigate between footnotes in microsoft word?
thanks so much and God bless you.

> I just had a look at the footnotes issue, and I found with the document in
> Web view or draft, where the footnotes are displayed in a separate pane at
> the bottom of the window, this sluggishness is evident.  If the view mode
> is changed to Print (alt+w, then p), the sluggishness seems to go away.
>
> There is an open issue for this, (thanks Derek) and I just added a bit more
> info to it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6902  Feel free to
> subscribe if you are interested.
>

> Regards
>
> Quentin.
>
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Ralph Boersema <ralph@...> wrote:
>
>> Dear James and Antony,
>>

>> You can contact me at ralph.boersema@..., so that I can send the
>> file to you off the list.
>>

>> Ralph

I have two keys between the spacebar and the right control key, but neither seem to do anything. The shift + F10 worked, however. Thanks!

Ralph