OE Classic is more accessible. Developers test with NVDA.

Below is a blog post on OE Classic and it's accessibility improvements. While this email client is getting more accessible it still has a ways to go. It runs on Windows 7 and up.

https://blindjournalist.wordpress.com/2017/07/25/oe-classic-is-2-7-is-finally-free-and-more-accessible/

Walker, Michael E

More accessible than what?

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Kingett
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:28 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] OE Classic is more accessible. Developers test with NVDA.

Below is a blog post on OE Classic and it's accessibility improvements.
While this email client is getting more accessible it still has a ways to go. It runs on Windows 7 and up.

https://blindjournalist.wordpress.com/2017/07/25/oe-classic-is-2-7-is-finally-free-and-more-accessible/

Andre Fisher

More accessible than it was before.

On 7/26/17, Walker, Michael E <michael.e.walker3@boeing.com> wrote:

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert
Kingett

While this email client is getting more accessible it still has a ways to
go. It runs on Windows 7 and up.

It is more accessible than it was before, silly goose.

Gene

More accessible than very little. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:21 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] OE Classic is more accessible. Developers test with NVDA.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Kingett

While this email client is getting more accessible it still has a ways to go. It runs on Windows 7 and up.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Does it have identities, like Outlook express? If it does, then fine if not, not interested. I'm fed up with tree based email systems and webmail.

I'm not sure what I'd do when I need to definitely move but I suppose Outlook might be the answer even it its a bit heavy for waht I need.
brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 2:27 PM

Below is a blog post on OE Classic and it's accessibility improvements. While this email client is getting more accessible it still has a ways to go. It runs on Windows 7 and up.

Mind you we should not forget that the email client bundled with windows 7 was really a mess for accessibility in itself, and I have a sneaky suspicion that the OE classic looks a lot like that did.
And look at the hoops we have gone through for the one in windows 10, which is just a bog standard email app.

Why it seems to be so awkward for people to make email clients better than Tbird when they can write stuff like Firefox and Chrome escapes me.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 2:39 PM

Gene

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 09:31 am, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
better than Tbird
There really aren't many e-mail clients that fall into that category, free or paid.  And heaven knows that Thunderbird is accessible.  It's essentially the same people who have written Firefox that have and still are working on Thunderbird.

The Windows 10 email app is not "bog standard" in a variety of ways, starting with its use of the new universal apps interface.  It lacks a large number of functions that "power users" (and that includes a lot of people who routinely post here) expect.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Niels Bohr

Don H

I am missing something here. I have been using Thunderbird for many years and find it totally accessible and just as easy to use as Outlook Express. What issues are people having with Thunderbird and NVDA?

On 7/26/2017 12:02 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
better than Tbird
There really aren't many e-mail clients that fall into that category, free or paid. And heaven knows that Thunderbird is accessible. It's essentially the same people who have written Firefox that have and still are working on Thunderbird.
The Windows 10 email app is not "bog standard" in a variety of ways, starting with its use of the new universal apps interface. It lacks a large number of functions that "power users" (and that includes a lot of people who routinely post here) expect.
--
/Brian/- Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063 (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)
*//**/The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement./**/ But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another/**/ profound truth./*
*/~ /**/Niels Bohr/*

I personally don't understand why so many people hate Thunderbird. It is the most accessible email client out there to date. I like it because, like I said, it rests in my dropbox so never have to install it to mmachines. At least the OE developers are working on making OE Classic accessible. I wish they would open source the code though so that is just me. I tried it for a while and like where it is going, even though I am sticking with Thunderbird.

It does have identities. You can read about them here.

http://www.oeclassic.com/online-help-quickstart

Yes I was using the term to mean basic really.
I did initially test it when I had continuous access to win ten, but was a bit fed up with continual new versions of windows. Hopefully they will stop at some point and just let people chuck along with security updates, then I'll get a machine install something usable and have a quiet life. AT the moment since I paid some money for the patch files for the old OE it has worked very well in windows 7. Did work on 10 but it was Microsoft who deliberately uninstalled it when a major update took place. Not a good move in my view.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:02 PM

better than Tbird
There really aren't many e-mail clients that fall into that category, free or paid. And heaven knows that Thunderbird is accessible. It's essentially the same people who have written Firefox that have and still are working on Thunderbird.

The Windows 10 email app is not "bog standard" in a variety of ways, starting with its use of the new universal apps interface. It lacks a large number of functions that "power users" (and that includes a lot of people who routinely post here) expect.

--
Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063 (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

* * *The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.* * But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another* * profound truth.*

* ~ * *Niels Bohr*

I want to have my accounts in seperate little boxes isolated from each other not in a tree of accounts as Live mail and Thuunderbird do also Tbird uses completely different keyboard shortcuts.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:06 PM

I am missing something here. I have been using Thunderbird for many years and find it totally accessible and just as easy to use as Outlook Express. What issues are people having with Thunderbird and NVDA?

On 7/26/2017 12:02 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

better than Tbird

--
/Brian/- Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063 (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

*//**/The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement./**/ But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another/**/ profound truth./*

*/~ /**/Niels Bohr/*

Yes thought so, and when its all working well I'd pay to use it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:21 PM

It does have identities. You can read about them here.

http://www.oeclassic.com/online-help-quickstart

Gene

It was not a mess for accessibility.  I use it.  Are you saying that because you don't like ribbons?  That has nothing to do with accessibility.  That is your opinion of ribbons. 

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 11:31 AM

Mind you we should not forget that the email client bundled with windows 7
was really a mess for accessibility in itself, and I have a sneaky suspicion
that  the OE classic looks a lot like that did.
 And look at the hoops we have gone through for the one in windows 10, which
is just a bog standard email app.

Why it seems to be so awkward for people to make email clients better than
Tbird when they can write stuff like Firefox and Chrome escapes me.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] OE Classic is more accessible. Developers test with
NVDA.

Gene

Subject: Re: [nvda] OE Classic is more accessible. Developers test with
NVDA.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert
Kingett

While this email client is getting more accessible it still has a ways to
go. It runs on Windows 7 and up.

Gene

It is not as accessible as Windows Live Mail.  True, the differences in accessibility are minor but they can be very annoying.  The main annoyance is that in Thunderbird, by default, the subject is displayed first and the name second in the headers.  a lot of people want the name displayed first.  But you can't change this from the keyboard.  you have to drag and drop.  And how many people know how to do that, though it can be done. 

In Windows Live mail, the order of headings is fully accessible from the keyboard.

Also, Windows Live Mail has two features that Thunderbird doesn't.  One is the ability to jump to the default inbox from wherever you are in the message list with the command control I.  The second is that you can read all mail as plain text but if there is an individual message you want to read as html, you don't have to fool around changing settings.  You can just open the message and use the command alt shift h.  That message will be displayed as html until you close it and all other messages will continue to be displayed as plain text.  if you open the message you displayed as html again, you will have to issue the alt shift h command again to cause it to be displayed as html. 

If you don't like ribbons, you might not want to use it, at least the ribbon version.  There is an older menu version.  And you have to set message rules on the server if you use IMAP, whereas Thunderbird allows you to set message rules in the program.  There is also a quirk I won't write about here but if anyone is interested, I'll address it in a later message about reading mail as plain text.  It works fine for that but there is a quirk you need to know about to do this. 

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 12:14 PM

I personally don't understand why so many people hate Thunderbird. It is
the most accessible email client out there to date. I like it because,
like I said, it rests in my dropbox so never have to install it to
mmachines. At least the OE developers are working on making OE Classic
accessible. I wish they would open source the code though so that is
just me. I tried it for a while and like where it is going, even though
I am sticking with Thunderbird.

Were accessibilitycentral.net back online Gene NZ has the step-by-step instructions for reordering columns in Thunderbird using the keyboard (yes, to do drag and drop, but this can be done by keyboard).  I never saved those so I don't have them handy.

If anyone should happen to want a copy, and it is the official copy, downloaded about a week before Microsoft pulled it from its website, of the installer for Windows Essentials 2012 (of which Windows Live Mail is a part) you can download it by activating this link.  Windows Live Mail 2012 is still a perfectly serviceable e-mail client for POP and IMAP access, which is what most of us are using.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Niels Bohr

Gene

It is back online. 

Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:47 PM

Were accessibilitycentral.net back online Gene NZ has the step-by-step instructions for reordering columns in Thunderbird using the keyboard (yes, to do drag and drop, but this can be done by keyboard).  I never saved those so I don't have them handy.

If anyone should happen to want a copy, and it is the official copy, downloaded about a week before Microsoft pulled it from its website, of the installer for Windows Essentials 2012 (of which Windows Live Mail is a part) you can download it by activating this link.  Windows Live Mail 2012 is still a perfectly serviceable e-mail client for POP and IMAP access, which is what most of us are using.

--

Niels Bohr

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Yes Accessibilitycentral.net is back on line i think almost 2 to 3 days now.

the page you want for directions for drag and drop etc are found on this page at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/accessible%20email%20client%20mozilla%20thunderbird.html

When you go to it you can jump down by headings to the sections about moving the columns and drag and dropping.

hope this helps.

Gene nz

On 7/28/2017 5:47 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

--

Niels Bohr

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.