NVDA IS SLUGGISH

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Dear group

I have NVDA 2017.2, Windows 10, the Creators’ Update and MS Office 2010 on my laptop.  I have recently been experiencing the following problems:

When I type, NVDA has a lag. I have completed typing a word and NVDA is still spelling the word I have already typed.  This happens on the iinternet, in MS office or wherever I am.

The other problem is that when I try to open icons on the the desktop, or on the internet, NVDA is late in announcing things, so I enter on the wrong icon since the cursor is already on an icon ahead of the one NVDA announces.  Eg:  I have 3 icons starting with “t” on the desktop, “TW Blue”, “Tap In Radio” and “This PC”.  NVDA will announce “This PC” but the cursor is on “TW Blue”, therefore I open the wrong thing.

I am using Speeech player in e-speak’s Edward voice as the synthesiser.

What can I do to solve this?

Kind regards

I use variant none whıch is much more responsive than other voices.

On 7/31/17, Heaven Botma <heaven@training-kaleidoscopesa.org> wrote:
[...]

Quentin Christensen

If you use eSpeak NG do you still get the sluggishness?  I'm not necessarily suggesting that as a fix, just to help diagnose the issue.

If you press NVDA+q to quit NVDA, but instead of pressing enter, press down arrow and choose "restart with add-ons disabled", that will also indicate if the issue is caused or exacerbated by any add-ons you might be using.

Finally, it might be worth going to the quit NVDA screen and selecting "restart with log level debug" to get a more detailed log that might help show up any issues.  More info on logs here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/LogFilesAndCrashDumps

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think we need to know the spec of the machine and how much throttling back it has selected. Last time this came up it turned out to be a laptop where the processor was so throttled back that it almost ran backwards!

Advanced power management or whatever its under these days slide the thing up from its stupid less than 10 percent to 50 percent if this does not fix it on a multicore machine then this is not the cause.
However if the machine is a laptop this action will use more battery power of course.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

I have the laptop set to 100% all the time or 50%, so nvda stops stuttering and being stupid.

Having your laptop on your lap though is just no good at that level.

I try to have nothing about me and just run the thing.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Heaven Botma" <heaven@training-kaleidoscopesa.org>
[...]

I think more to the point about this issue is why it is that Windows cannot see its maxing out somewhere when things go slow and thus does not up the speed as it does when c a complex video task is being performed. This seems to be an issue with Windows.
No point in using extra power than you need but this throttling is getting silly now. the had the opportunity to fix it in 10, but its still the same as in 7.
[...]

Hi Group

I have tried without the add-ons and that made no difference. Thanks for
that suggestion though.

I just changed the power settings, and that seems to have done the trick.
Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Kind regards

[...]

Yes I don't think Windows is very good at resource management sometimes and hence stays slow when it should allow things to speed up.
[...]

Graham Armfield

This appears to be similar to a problem I've been having since the Creators Update to Windows 10. There are other threads on here about this - specifically: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/5543150 and https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/speech_delay_in_nvda_2017_2/5543130

Apologies if I'm not using the correct linking startegy for other threads.

I have contributed to both these threads and have tried the solutions put forward but without success - I'm still getting a half second to full second delay between focus landing on an object and NVDA voicing the object.

When I run the NVDA Speech Viewer tool, I can see that NVDA interprets the focused element immediately, but the delay in voicing the element occurs after that.

I am obviously keen to fix the situation since it makes using NVDA very hit and miss. But I'm not technically literate in terms of temporary files and log files and power management so please could someone supply a bit more detail about which power management settings I'm looking for to try changing, and also the location of a log file from NVDA that might help to troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks for your time.

Graham