nvda and IE

Don H

Running the latest version of NVDA on a Win 10 creator edition.

When I start IE I have NVDA voicing a long line of verbage that seems to be describing the page in computer code form. Sighted help says there is nothing on the screen that resembles what is being spoken. Is there a way to stop this info from being spoken?

Thanks

Gene

Someone may have another solution for this specific problem, but keeping what I am going to say in mind will save you time and annoyance in general use.  Just press control or try issuing whatever command you usually issue when a page loads such as move by heading.  Screen-readers, by the complexity of how they interact with Windows and Windows programs, may read unexpected things.  part of being an efficient screen-reader user is manually trying actions that may stop unnecessary verbiage.  For example, when you do a search on an Internet page, the screen-reader may read unnecessary material when it finds something.  Using read currewnt line may stop this reading and cause the line to be read correctly immediately.  Or at times, you may search for something and hearing just what you search for may not be enough.  Pressing read current line will cause the entire line to be read and is more efficient than up and down arrowing to have the line read,  One key stroke instead of two.

One of the complaints I repeatedly see about Thunderbird is that the subject line is repeated twice when opening a message and letting it read.  If you already have heard the subject line when arrowing through the list of messages or if you hear it once when you have moved directly from one message to another, simply issue the speak to end command when you have heard what you want or if you want the message body to be read immediately with no headers read.  You may have to experiment with timing to see when you should press the command for good results.  You can press it more than once if the timing you try is not effective. 

I use Windows Live Mail and I constantly use read current line in the message list after I delete a message.  I read a message, then delete it.  Iam automatically placed on the next message in the list.  If I don't use read current line, I hear a lot of heading information I don't want along with the unnecessary speakingh of the phrase outlook express message list or something like that.  Read current line causes what I want to hear to be read immediately, who the message is from and if I want to hear the subject line and other information, that is read as well.  I then read the message without waiting for everything else to be read.  If you read mail by opening the message, you can press enter when you want it to open.  Speech will immediately be stopped, as though you had pressed control, and the message will be opened.  I probably save one or two seconds of unnecessary speech on each message in that way.  It becomes second nature to use these commands in these ways if you do so constantly.  I wonder how many people waste time and put up with the annoyance of unnecessary speech because they don't do these things.  This kind of instruction should be a standard part of Windows instructional material.  I havedn't seen such matters taught in any detail. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 8:41 AM
Subject: [nvda] nvda and IE

When I start IE I have NVDA voicing a long line of verbage that seems to
be describing the page in computer code form.  Sighted help says there
is nothing on the screen that resembles what is being spoken.  Is there
a way to stop this info from being spoken?

Thanks

Brian's Mail list account

Is this on every page or just the first one?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 2:41 PM

When I start IE I have NVDA voicing a long line of verbage that seems to be describing the page in computer code form. Sighted help says there is nothing on the screen that resembles what is being spoken. Is there a way to stop this info from being spoken?

Thanks

Don H

Just on the first one

On 8/2/2017 3:50 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don H" <lmddh50@...>

Thanks

Brian's Mail list account

Yes seen that been there. I think its got something to do with the initialisation being s l o w
Maybe its missing the cue to see its got a buffer.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda and IE

Just on the first one

On 8/2/2017 3:50 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don H" <lmddh50@...>

Thanks