Thunderbird Add On To Allow First Letter Navigation For Folders

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I got this referenced from another list.

There is an add on that allows folder navigation by typing the first letter and it is called 'quick key folder navigation.' The description says you have to type the first 3 letters, but if you only have one folder that begins with the letter key you press, then you will move right to the folder with just the first key press. I have installed this and it works great. This restores one of the favorite features for screen reader users that existed in the venerable and now largely defunct Outlook Express.

Using Thunderbird, it is easy to install this add on. Just click tools/add on manager/search for add on. Type in quick folder key navigation, press enter, then tab to the list of results, highlight the add on, right click and choose install. Then follow the prompts. There is no need to browse the Mozilla website for the add on.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Michel Such

Very nice!

Thank you for this info.

Le 2017-08-02 à 07:29, Ron Canazzi a écrit :
[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Pity they don't do one that changes the key allocations to be more like outlook express or one that adds identities so one can keep folder trees from getting to look like spaghetti!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Tony Ballou

Hi Ron,

Sounds good! Will check it out. Outlook express, what a classic!

Tony

On 8/2/2017 1:29 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Gerardo Corripio

Working great! Have installed the AddOn here on my Thunderbird latest.

El 02/08/2017 a las 09:22 a.m., Tony Ballou escribió:
[...]

Enviado desde Thunderbird

Tony Ballou

Hi,

Oh hell Yeah! Drop it like its hot! Works like a charm.

Tony

On 8/2/2017 10:23 AM, Gerardo Corripio wrote:
[...]

Don H

only problem I see with this addon is that if you have more than one email address in the folder list it doesn't let you know which Email address you are in. for example I have a send folder and a stuff folder in one set of folders for one Email addddress. If you accidently hit s three times you are now in the send folder on the second Email address but there is no indication that you moved from one Email address to another.

On 8/2/2017 9:23 AM, Gerardo Corripio wrote:
[...]

Hi don,

I hear ya man. Perhaps they will add additional functionality to it in
a future release as the developers receive feedback. BTW, were you able
to get the links to read on web pages the right way?

Tony

On 8/2/2017 10:33 AM, Don H wrote:
[...]

Kevin Cussick

Hi Ron, thanks very much for this just encase the last mail didn't not send.

On 02/08/2017 06:29, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Hi, thanks so much for this I have got it and will test later again thanks.

On 02/08/2017 06:29, Ron
wrote:
[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Ron

I was not aware of this add on i will give it a whirl later on today and install it.

I will also put what the addon is called up on my thunder bird page and where to get it as you stated in the email so other people are aware of it.

Gene nz

On 8/2/2017 5:29 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

OK this add on has some potential. Are there any other Thunderbird add on's that anyone suggests that would be good for us screen reader users.

Kevin Cussick

Ok, must be stupid but here goes I press f6 to get into the tree view of all my accounts folders and so on. I type nvda and nothing happens sorry what am I doing wrong? I use the in box for all mails if this helps.

On 8/2/2017 10:33 AM, Don H wrote:
[...]

After it has been installed make sure you close all tabs ang go back to the tree view.

Also after it has been installed and the tabs closed with ctrl + w you must restart thunder bird.

It is working nicely here but have not tried it with my other 3 accounts but i guess it will work nicely.

Gene nz

On 8/2/2017 10:33 AM, Don H wrote:
[...]

hi, did this and nothing thanks.

On 8/2/2017 10:33 AM, Don H wrote:
[...]

Image NVDA certified expert

Ron Canazzi

Hi Don,

I have looked for some others that would be specifically for Thunderbird. I have used the Thunderbird add on manager to do so and I haven't found any that seem to do much to enhance screen reader usage.

I am wondering if anyone knows if there is any way to get Thunderbird to group messages by conversation as other mail programs such as Outlook Express and Windows Mail did in the past. By this I mean that Thunderbird does not group all messages with the same subject line and the reply (re:) prefix in the subject line into one group. For some reason, this type of feature is lacking. I almost never get all 20 or more messages in a conversation thread grouped properly in Thunderbird. I usually get 6 or 7 in one group, 3 or 4 in another group and the rest in still another group.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this and found a solution--be it add on or otherwise.

On 8/2/2017 5:37 PM, Don H wrote:
OK this add on has some potential. Are there any other Thunderbird add on's that anyone suggests that would be good for us screen reader users.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Don H

This add on not only allows first letter navagation of the folders but also the first letter of Email addresses if you have more than one Email listed. Also if you reach the end of the folder list it wraps back to the top.

Michel Such

Hi,

Another interesting addon is Select Inbox.

This one sets focus on the first unread message when you open Thunderbird.

In its options, you can decide if you want to open on the first unread, simply the first message etc.

Michel SUCH

michel.such@...
Skype : michel.such
Twitter : @SuchMichel

On 8/2/2017 5:37 PM, Don H wrote:
OK this add on has some potential. Are there any other Thunderbird add on's that anyone suggests that would be good for us screen reader users.

Domingos de Oliveira <domingos20000@...>

Hi Ron,

you do not need an addon to group messages by topic, TB can do that by default. I use it in German, so I can't tell you where exactly you will find the option. Translated in English you find the option in the menu View, there in "Sort by" and there one of the last points is Sort by topic.

Bye Domingos

On 8/2/2017 5:37 PM, Don H wrote:
OK this add on has some potential. Are there any other Thunderbird add on's that anyone suggests that would be good for us screen reader users.

--
Domingos de Oliveira
Accessibility-Consultant/Online-Redaktion
Karthäuserstr. 13
53129 Bonn
Tel: 0176 322 45 129
Mail: domingos20000@...