NVDA Stuck in Focus Mode

David Goldfield

Hello. I'm working with someone who is using NVDA 2017.2 on a Windows 7 Pro machine. Recently, the copy of NVDA he is using seems to be totally stuck in focus mode when loading either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Keyboard and language are both set to US English. I even had him remove the contents of his appdata\roaming\nvda  folder to begin with a fresh install but it's still stuck into focus mode. Pressing insert+spacebar does not toggle from focus mode into browse mode. This is a very recent issue, just starting yesterday after over a year of trouble-free use. Has anybody else experienced this and what is the best solution?

hi.
did you try automatic focus mode for focus changes and and automatic
focus mode for caret changes in browsmode to see if its make sense.
first uncheck both, for me the first one is checked and the second one
is unchecked.

On 8/4/17, David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...> wrote:
Hello. I'm working with someone who is using NVDA 2017.2 on a Windows 7 Pro
machine. Recently, the copy of NVDA he is using seems to be totally stuck in
focus mode when loading either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Keyboard
and language are both set to US English. I even had him remove the contents
of his appdata\roaming\nvda folder to begin with a fresh install but it's
still stuck into focus mode. Pressing insert+spacebar does not toggle from
focus mode into browse mode. This is a very recent issue, just starting
yesterday after over a year of trouble-free use. Has anybody else
experienced this and what is the best solution?

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Ethan

Hello David,

Try the steps outlined in https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2807#issuecomment-320149243

Thanks

Hello. I'm working with someone who is using NVDA 2017.2 on a Windows 7 Pro machine. Recently, the copy of NVDA he is using seems to be totally stuck in focus mode when loading either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Keyboard and language are both set to US English. I even had him remove the contents of his appdata\roaming\nvda  folder to begin with a fresh install but it's still stuck into focus mode. Pressing insert+spacebar does not toggle from focus mode into browse mode. This is a very recent issue, just starting yesterday after over a year of trouble-free use. Has anybody else experienced this and what is the best solution?

David Goldfield

Ethan,

We'll look at this ticket. It could put us on the right track.

Many thanks for this lead.

nvda - NVDA, the free and open source Screen Reader for Microsoft Windows

Thanks

Hello. I'm working with someone who is using NVDA 2017.2 on a Windows 7 Pro machine. Recently, the copy of NVDA he is using seems to be totally stuck in focus mode when loading either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Keyboard and language are both set to US English. I even had him remove the contents of his appdata\roaming\nvda  folder to begin with a fresh install but it's still stuck into focus mode. Pressing insert+spacebar does not toggle from focus mode into browse mode. This is a very recent issue, just starting yesterday after over a year of trouble-free use. Has anybody else experienced this and what is the best solution?

David Goldfield

Hi. Yes, he is using the system default settings. The issue is that NVDA won't go into browse mode and pressing insert+space doesn't toggle from focus mode to browse mode. However, another list member provided me with a github ticket which might possibly lead us down the right path.

did you try automatic focus mode for focus changes and and automatic
focus mode for caret changes in browsmode to see if its make sense.
first uncheck both, for me the first one is checked and the second one
is unchecked.

On 8/4/17, David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...> wrote:
> Hello. I'm working with someone who is using NVDA 2017.2 on a Windows 7 Pro
> machine. Recently, the copy of NVDA he is using seems to be totally stuck in
> focus mode when loading either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Keyboard
> and language are both set to US English. I even had him remove the contents
> of his appdata\roaming\nvda  folder to begin with a fresh install but it's
> still stuck into focus mode. Pressing insert+spacebar does not toggle from
> focus mode into browse mode. This is a very recent issue, just starting
> yesterday after over a year of trouble-free use. Has anybody else
> experienced this and what is the best solution?

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

does he uninstall one office program recently?
i uninstalled openoffice many months before and had this issue.
i completely uninstalled and reinstalled nvda and the problem is solved for me.
hope that helps and God bless you!

________________________________
[...]

Brian's Mail list account

I can honestly say I've never seen this at all.
Does this also happen in adobe reader or on the word documents?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Hello. I'm working with someone who is using NVDA 2017.2 on a Windows 7 Pro machine. Recently, the copy of NVDA he is using seems to be totally stuck in focus mode when loading either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Keyboard and language are both set to US English. I even had him remove the contents of his appdata\roaming\nvda folder to begin with a fresh install but it's still stuck into focus mode. Pressing insert+spacebar does not toggle from focus mode into browse mode. This is a very recent issue, just starting yesterday after over a year of trouble-free use. Has anybody else experienced this and what is the best solution?

Brian's Mail list account

I understand he already tried this one.
Looks to me like a windows issue of some kind.
[...]

Look at my new thread about pan and unknown for more. The pan should have been pane of course but I have to say that to make nvda go into focus mode is a bit of a long reach from that or the other ticket.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Hello. I'm working with someone who is using NVDA 2017.2 on a Windows 7 Pro
machine. Recently, the copy of NVDA he is using seems to be totally stuck in
focus mode when loading either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Keyboard
and language are both set to US English. I even had him remove the contents
of his appdata\roaming\nvda folder to begin with a fresh install but it's
still stuck into focus mode. Pressing insert+spacebar does not toggle from
focus mode into browse mode. This is a very recent issue, just starting
yesterday after over a year of trouble-free use. Has anybody else
experienced this and what is the best solution?

David Goldfield

The problem is now solved. The gentleman I was working with didn't do the manual registering of the dll files. He tried the registry patch, which did not work. I suggested that he do a system restore and this solved the problem. Thanks to all who offered suggestions and advice.

nvda - NVDA, the free and open source Screen Reader for Microsoft Windows

> Thanks

The question is though, what exactly was the cause in the first place? Be nice to know if there is another piece of software out there which is messing up the registry.
[...]

Gene

If you can't manually change from focus to browse mode, and I don't think that that, as stated, is the actual problem, I see no reason why changing automatic settings would help. Of course, many things are possible but very improbable.  I actually don't think the screen-reader is stuck in focus mode.  I think that something, perhaps in Windows, has become corrupted or perhaps a Windows update has caused a problem so the browser can't use either browse or focus mode.  I think it's just staying in whatever you would call it's mode when not in a program that supports browse mode at all.  This might seem like focus mode but it's actually the same mode you would be in when in a word processor or in most programs or in most parts of Windows.

Was there a Windows update?  If a Windows update occurred yesterday, that's likely the cause.  If not, if available, running a system restore point from before the problem started might be tried.  You may want to wait before doing so for other suggestions.

What antimalware programs are running?  It's possible something was seen and quaranteened as a false positive that has caused this problem because of its removal.  If something has been removed at about the time the problem started, taking it out of quaranteen and restoring it might solve the problem.

Sent: Friday, August 04, 2017 10:58 AM

hi.
did you try automatic focus mode for focus changes and and automatic
focus mode for caret changes in browsmode to see if its make sense.
first uncheck both, for me the first one is checked and the second one
is unchecked.

On 8/4/17, David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...> wrote:
> Hello. I'm working with someone who is using NVDA 2017.2 on a Windows 7 Pro
> machine. Recently, the copy of NVDA he is using seems to be totally stuck in
> focus mode when loading either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Keyboard
> and language are both set to US English. I even had him remove the contents
> of his appdata\roaming\nvda  folder to begin with a fresh install but it's
> still stuck into focus mode. Pressing insert+spacebar does not toggle from
> focus mode into browse mode. This is a very recent issue, just starting
> yesterday after over a year of trouble-free use. Has anybody else
> experienced this and what is the best solution?

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Andre Fisher

Does the user start NVDA with the browser open?