From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Noah Carver via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2017 15:20
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Suggestion: Switch from Email List to a Forum

Hi,

Okay, I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest, but would it be more beneficial to switch from groups.io to a web forum? PunBB, for example, is very accessible and configurable, and it can be set up to email users when they get a message from a forum topic that a user has subscribed to.

Cheers,

Noah

no, i cant use forums and only prefer email like now.

On 8/10/17, Bill Dengler <codeofdusk@...> wrote:
Or a subreddit...

Bill

Okay, I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest, but would it be more
beneficial to switch from groups.io to a web forum? PunBB, for example, is
very accessible and configurable, and it can be set up to email users when
they get a message from a forum topic that a user has subscribed to.

Cheers,

Noah

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Sarah k Alawami

No, if tht is the case I won't participate. I have to memorise enough passwords already and email for me is more productive as I can take it on the go or whilest I'm at work.

On Aug 10, 2017, at 8:20 AM, Noah Carver via Groups.Io <carvernoah309=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi,

Okay, I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest, but would it be more beneficial to switch from groups.io to a web forum? PunBB, for example, is very accessible and configurable, and it can be set up to email users when they get a message from a forum topic that a user has subscribed to.

Cheers,

Noah

Hi,
Believe it or not, portions of what the original poster (not Sarah and
others) is saying has already been fulfilled: Groups.IO is indeed a forum
provider. Although it isn't strictly a web forum, it has all the features of
a basic forum, including a group wiki, calendar of events, databases,
hashtags and what not. Some of the facilities Groups.IO offers can be
accessed from the web, including archive management, administrative tasks,
wiki, calendar event creation and what not.
Cheers,
Joseph

No, if tht is the case I won't participate. I have to memorise enough
passwords already and email for me is more productive as I can take it on
the go or whilest I'm at work.
On Aug 10, 2017, at 8:20 AM, Noah Carver via Groups.Io
<carvernoah309=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi,

Okay, I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest, but would it be more
beneficial to switch from groups.io to a web forum? PunBB, for example, is
very accessible and configurable, and it can be set up to email users when
they get a message from a forum topic that a user has subscribed to.

Cheers,

Noah

Sarah k Alawami

Oh lol. I actually forgot about that. Goes to show how much I visit that sight eh?

Take care and be blessed.

<carvernoah309@...> wrote:

Hi,

Okay, I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest, but would it be more
beneficial to switch from groups.io to a web forum? PunBB, for example, is
very accessible and configurable, and it can be set up to email users when
they get a message from a forum topic that a user has subscribed to.

Cheers,

Noah

Mary Otten <motten53@...>

Don't think so. Heat forms. Don't like anything that makes me go to the web when I can get it in my email. All it requires is for people to have a little bit of discipline and keep threads on topic. Much more efficient this way in my opinion.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 10, 2017, at 8:20 AM, Noah Carver via Groups.Io <carvernoah309=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi,

Okay, I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest, but would it be more beneficial to switch from groups.io to a web forum? PunBB, for example, is very accessible and configurable, and it can be set up to email users when they get a message from a forum topic that a user has subscribed to.

Cheers,

Noah

I also have to agree

On 8/10/2017 9:03 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
Don't think so. Heat forms. Don't like anything that makes me go to the web when I can get it in my email. All it requires is for people to have a little bit of discipline and keep threads on topic. Much more efficient this way in my opinion.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 10, 2017, at 8:20 AM, Noah Carver via Groups.Io <carvernoah309=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi,

Okay, I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest, but would it be more beneficial to switch from groups.io to a web forum? PunBB, for example, is very accessible and configurable, and it can be set up to email users when they get a message from a forum topic that a user has subscribed to.

Cheers,

Noah

Ashley Wayne

I agree as well.  I would prefer to stay with the email list as well, I personally find it much easier.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Don't think so. Heat forms. Don't like anything that makes me go to the web when I can get it in my email. All it requires is for people to have a little bit of discipline and keep threads on topic. Much more efficient this way in my opinion.

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 10, 2017, at 8:20 AM, Noah Carver via Groups.Io <carvernoah309@...> wrote:

> Hi,

> Okay, I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest, but would it be more beneficial to switch from groups.io to a web forum? PunBB, for example, is very accessible and configurable, and it can be set up to email users when they get a message from a forum topic that a user has subscribed to.

> Cheers,

> Noah

No I like email but then I am at home a lot doing work.

WHat I find with forums is I only read what interests me which is fine but forums have the added issue of multiple spams they are harder to secure to.

Email and the skype group are enough but if people think we can do with a forum to go and try it.

The only one that worked is audiogames.net and even they have had hackers, spam and the like.

When I was doing work on sonnar we had a forum, I was removing spam and blocking users daily, eventually it got so bad I was doing it all day long.

Eventually after trying different forum software we just deleted the forum because it was to stressfull.

On 11/08/2017 3:20 a.m., Noah Carver via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi,

Okay, I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest, but would it be more beneficial to switch from groups.io to a web forum? PunBB, for example, is very accessible and configurable, and it can be set up to email users when they get a message from a forum topic that a user has subscribed to.

Cheers,

Noah

.

Rosemarie Chavarria

I too prefer to email instead of switch to a forum. It's so much easier to just go to your email program and reply to messages instead of going on the web to do it.

I agree as well.  I would prefer to stay with the email list as well, I personally find it much easier.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Don't think so. Heat forms. Don't like anything that makes me go to the web when I can get it in my email. All it requires is for people to have a little bit of discipline and keep threads on topic. Much more efficient this way in my opinion.

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 10, 2017, at 8:20 AM, Noah Carver via Groups.Io <carvernoah309@...> wrote:

> Hi,

> Okay, I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest, but would it be more beneficial to switch from groups.io to a web forum? PunBB, for example, is very accessible and configurable, and it can be set up to email users when they get a message from a forum topic that a user has subscribed to.

> Cheers,

> Noah

john s

I have never liked forums as there is too much stuff to wade through.

At 11:31 AM 8/10/2017, you wrote:
no, i cant use forums and only prefer email like now.

On 8/10/17, Bill Dengler <codeofdusk@...> wrote:
Or a subreddit...

Bill

Okay, I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest, but would it be more
beneficial to switch from groups.io to a web forum? PunBB, for example, is
very accessible and configurable, and it can be set up to email users when
they get a message from a forum topic that a user has subscribed to.

Cheers,

Noah

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

John

Antony Stone

I would have no objection to changing the list to a forum provided that:

a) it remains possible for those who prefer email to continue to both send and
receive messages by email

b) it remains possible to search an archive of the list/forum so that people
who have questions in the future which have already been answered have a
chance of finding that answer through Google etc

I would most definitely not be in favour of moving from a mailing list to a
forum if that requires everybody to log in to a web page and look there for
any new messages.

Antony.

--
Douglas was one of those writers who honourably failed to get anywhere with
'weekending'. It put a premium on people who could write things that lasted

- Geoffrey Perkins, about Douglas Adams

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Lawrence Stoler

I agree.

While changing the list to a forum is an interesting idea, you may be creating more problems than it is worth.

I think your suggestions make sense.

There are many who still use e-mail. they should have a choice.

Lawrence Stoler

On 8/10/2017 6:15 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
[...]

I would suggest that those proposing a web forum use the one we already have at Groups.io.  It's the only way I interact with the groups, all of them, that I participate on here.

If you are already using the e-mail interface you have an account, but if you've never logged in to the forum then you don't have a password.  Go to http://groups.io, activate the Log In button, fill in your e-mail address, then activate the "Forget your password?" link.  That will allow you to establish a password for the forums that you log in to using your e-mail address as your user ID.

            Niels Bohr

Andy

is there a problem? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I know that list traffic is heavy, but I never know when a message will be just the gem I'm needing at the time.

Andy

Okay, I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest, but would it be more beneficial to switch from groups.io to a web forum? PunBB, for example, is very accessible and configurable, and it can be set up to email users when they get a message from a forum topic that a user has subscribed to.

Cheers,

Noah

Andy

I agree completely. Don't want any unnecessary work.

Andy

Don't think so. Heat forms. Don't like anything that makes me go to the web when I can get it in my email. All it requires is for people to have a little bit of discipline and keep threads on topic. Much more efficient this way in my opinion.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 10, 2017, at 8:20 AM, Noah Carver via Groups.Io <carvernoah309=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi,

Okay, I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest, but would it be more beneficial to switch from groups.io to a web forum? PunBB, for example, is very accessible and configurable, and it can be set up to email users when they get a message from a forum topic that a user has subscribed to.

Cheers,

Noah

Groups.io allows a user to exercise exquisite control over the e-mail messages they receive for a group, but you do have to use the web interface to do so.

Explained, in step-by-step detail on this very list, archived online here:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/18724

            Niels Bohr

Absolutely not! I say stay with Groups.IO!
---
Christopher Gilland

> Okay, I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest, but would it be more
> beneficial to switch from groups.io to a web forum? PunBB, for example, is
> very accessible and configurable, and it can be set up to email users when
> they get a message from a forum topic that a user has subscribed to.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Noah

Ian Blackburn

I wouldn't be in favour of switching to the forum either
They might be accessible ones but the ones I've seen on the Internet are extremely difficult to navigate
Regards Ian

Sent from my iPhone