MS Edge browser, how to close it down

Dan Beaver

Hi,

I accidentally started Edge.  Now I can't seem to find a way to close it down.  alt+f4 does nothing and I can't seem to get to a ribbon or menu bar.

How do I do this with NVDA?

Dan Beaver

John Hedges

Edge has one annoying behavior. If you press Alt+F4, instrad of Ctrl+F4 to close a Tab, then if multiple tabs are open… a dialog pops up that does not close with Escape. This dialog asks if you want to close all Tabs or Vancel, which his the default.

John

Sent: Friday, August 11, 2017 11:00 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] MS Edge browser, how to close it down

Hi,

I accidentally started Edge.  Now I can't seem to find a way to close it down.  alt+f4 does nothing and I can't seem to get to a ribbon or menu bar.

Dan Beaver

Chris

It also has an option to not show this dialog again

😃

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Dan,

Try closing it with control W.

Rosemarie

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dan Beaver
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2017 8:00 AM

Hi,

Dan Beaver

ALT+F4 is a Windows command, not a screen reader command, and is applicable to any program window on which you currently have focus.

Hitting CTRL+W (at least if a screen reader is not on, and I suspect even if it is) closes the current tab that has focus in Edge, not Edge itself, unless there is but a single tab being displayed.

I suspect John Hedges is correct, but I generally do not turn that feature about asking if I want to close all open tabs off (as sometimes I don't and just suffered from acting hastily), but somehow I do not get asked that question by Edge.  I'm sure there would be a checkbox to not show that dialog again and, if you hit OK to cause all tabs to close, that choice should be remembered.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Niels Bohr

Arlene

Hi, does alt w work just as good as alt F 4?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: August-11-17 9:35 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] MS Edge browser, how to close it down

Hi, Dan,

Rosemarie

Hi,

Dan Beaver

Arlene

I meant control w. sorry

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Dan,

Rosemarie

Hi,

Dan Beaver

Arlene

So does Ie. If you got more then one page in Ie. It will ask to close current or all. If you close all Ie shuts down. Does Edge work the same way?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Hedges
Sent: August-11-17 8:21 AM

Edge has one annoying behavior. If you press Alt+F4, instrad of Ctrl+F4 to close a Tab, then if multiple tabs are open… a dialog pops up that does not close with Escape. This dialog asks if you want to close all Tabs or Vancel, which his the default.

John

Sent: Friday, August 11, 2017 11:00 AM

Hi,

Dan Beaver

Gene

Control w doesn't do the same thing as alt f4.  It does the same thing as control f4.  Both commands close the tab you are currently in.  If you have more than one tab opened, the other tab or tabs will remain opened.  If you don't have any other tabs opened, the program will close when you close the only opened tab.  This is also true of Windows.  If a program has more than one window opened, control w and control f4 closes the window you are in.  Other windows will remain opened.  If there is only one window opened in a program, these commands will cause the program to close when you close the only opened window.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2017 1:57 PM

Hi, Dan,

Rosemarie

Hi,

Dan Beaver

Dan Beaver

The problem is that once I get multiple open tabs closed the last one does nothing.  It just won't go away.

Dan Beaver

On 8/11/2017 4:08 PM, Gene wrote:

Control w doesn't do the same thing as alt f4.  It does the same thing as control f4.  Both commands close the tab you are currently in.  If you have more than one tab opened, the other tab or tabs will remain opened.  If you don't have any other tabs opened, the program will close when you close the only opened tab.  This is also true of Windows.  If a program has more than one window opened, control w and control f4 closes the window you are in.  Other windows will remain opened.  If there is only one window opened in a program, these commands will cause the program to close when you close the only opened window.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2017 1:57 PM

Hi, Dan,

Rosemarie

Hi,

Dan Beaver