From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Metzler
Sent: Samstag, 12. August 2017 15:08
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] start menu problem

Hi All,

I am using the latest nvda and the latest windows 10.  For some reason when I hit the window key the start menu dosen’t come up.  I needed to find something but, I had to use narrator to do it.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Thanks for any help.Regards, Gary kn4ox

James AUSTIN

Hi everyone,

I am getting this issue too, but have not, so far as I know, updated to the latest Windows. Anyway, the below issue was solved for me the following link.

HTH
James

On 12/08/2017 14:08, Gary Metzler wrote:
Hi All,

I am using the latest nvda and the latest windows 10.  For some reason when I hit the window key the start menu dosen’t come up.  I needed to find something but, I had to use narrator to do it.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Thanks for any help.Regards, Gary kn4ox

Gary Metzler <gmtravel@...>

Hi James,

That link didn’t solve my problem but, disabling the win 10 app esentals did.  I let Joseph know about it.

I am getting this issue too, but have not, so far as I know, updated to the latest Windows. Anyway, the below issue was solved for me the following link.

HTH
James
On 12/08/2017 14:08, Gary Metzler wrote:
Hi All,

I am using the latest nvda and the latest windows 10.  For some reason when I hit the window key the start menu dosen’t come up.  I needed to find something but, I had to use narrator to do it.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Thanks for any help.Regards, Gary kn4ox

Gary Bowers

Hi James & everyone,

I'm having the same issue after my recent Windows update to:

Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.540).

I'm using the latest version of NVDA with Windows 10. Will the solution
supplied by James work with Windows 10?

James Austin wrote, in part:

I am getting this issue too, but have not, so far as I know, updated to the
latest Windows. Anyway, the below issue was solved for me the following
link.

I am getting this issue too, but have not, so far as I know, updated to the
latest Windows. Anyway, the below issue was solved for me the following
link.

HTH
James

On 12/08/2017 14:08, Gary Metzler wrote:

Hi All,

I am using the latest nvda and the latest windows 10. For some
reason when I hit the window key the start menu dosen't come up. I needed
to find something but, I had to use narrator to do it. Is anyone else
having this problem? Thanks for any help.Regards, Gary kn4ox

Gary Bowers

Thanks Gary,

I also found success with disabling Win 10 App Essentials.

Thanks for the temporary solution, and thanks for notifying NVDA.

Gary in Texas

That link didn't solve my problem but, disabling the win 10 app esentals
did. I let Joseph know about it.

I am getting this issue too, but have not, so far as I know, updated to the
latest Windows. Anyway, the below issue was solved for me the following
link.

HTH
James

On 12/08/2017 14:08, Gary Metzler wrote:

Hi All,

I am using the latest nvda and the latest windows 10. For some
reason when I hit the window key the start menu dosen't come up. I needed
to find something but, I had to use narrator to do it. Is anyone else
having this problem? Thanks for any help.Regards, Gary kn4ox

Hi,
Expect an advisory from me in the next few minutes.
Cheers,
Joseph

I also found success with disabling Win 10 App Essentials.

Thanks for the temporary solution, and thanks for notifying NVDA.

Gary in Texas

That link didn't solve my problem but, disabling the win 10 app esentals
did. I let Joseph know about it.

I am getting this issue too, but have not, so far as I know, updated to the
latest Windows. Anyway, the below issue was solved for me the following
link.

HTH
James

On 12/08/2017 14:08, Gary Metzler wrote:

Hi All,

I am using the latest nvda and the latest windows 10. For some
reason when I hit the window key the start menu dosen't come up. I needed
to find something but, I had to use narrator to do it. Is anyone else
having this problem? Thanks for any help.Regards, Gary kn4ox

Jacob Kruger

I'm using classicShell, along with the same latest version of windows 10, NVDA next snapshot, and windows 10 app essentials, and, it renders both it's version of windows 10 start menu, as well as the additional normal start menu under it without issues.

If running classicShell - you can install it via ninite.com - then if you bring up menu, and arrow down once from search box, then there's a submenu for the normal windows 10 start menu - I think it's the normal version since have pretty much stuck to classicShell under windows 10 from scratch.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

I am getting this issue too, but have not, so far as I know, updated to the
latest Windows. Anyway, the below issue was solved for me the following
link.

HTH
James

On 12/08/2017 14:08, Gary Metzler wrote:

Hi All,

I am using the latest nvda and the latest windows 10. For some
reason when I hit the window key the start menu dosen't come up. I needed
to find something but, I had to use narrator to do it. Is anyone else
having this problem? Thanks for any help.Regards, Gary kn4ox

Gary Metzler <gmtravel@...>

You are quite welcome. Unfortunatly after re starting my computer the problem came back. I went and disabled the app again and again the start menu came back.

[...]

Hi Jacob,

I appreciate your input.

Take care,

Gary

I am getting this issue too, but have not, so far as I know, updated
to the latest Windows. Anyway, the below issue was solved for me the
following link.

HTH
James

On 12/08/2017 14:08, Gary Metzler wrote:

Hi All,

I am using the latest nvda and the latest windows 10. For some
reason when I hit the window key the start menu dosen't come up. I
needed to find something but, I had to use narrator to do it. Is
anyone else having this problem? Thanks for any help.Regards, Gary
kn4ox

chris miles

On 12/08/2017 14:08, Gary Metzler wrote:
Hi All,

I am using the latest nvda and the latest windows 10.  For some reason when I hit the window key the start menu dosen’t come up.  I needed to find something but, I had to use narrator to do it.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Thanks for any help.Regards, Gary kn4ox

Hi,

I am using NVDA 2017.2 with the latest Win 10. I also use Classic Shell which allows you to use first letter navigation on the start menu, just like you had in Win 7.

After tabbing to the Start button, press enter and the start page comes up with Cortana window, etc.

Hope this is of help?

James AUSTIN

Hi Gary

Apologies that the link did not solve your issue. Glad you've sorted it. I shall try the same.

On 12/08/2017 18:19, Gary Metzler wrote:
Hi James,

That link didn’t solve my problem but, disabling the win 10 app esentals did.  I let Joseph know about it.

I am getting this issue too, but have not, so far as I know, updated to the latest Windows. Anyway, the below issue was solved for me the following link.

HTH
James
On 12/08/2017 14:08, Gary Metzler wrote:
Hi All,

I am using the latest nvda and the latest windows 10.  For some reason when I hit the window key the start menu dosen’t come up.  I needed to find something but, I had to use narrator to do it.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Thanks for any help.Regards, Gary kn4ox

David Griffith

Actually I think this is a definite bug in the latest NVDA as others on the BCAB list have also complained of this issue.

I too have this issue as described by you since applying the latest update.

Actually what is happening my end is that when I press the Windows key I have now lost all key echo.

So if I press the windows keys and type  Word this will start Microsoft Word but there is absolutely no screen or typing feedback from NVDA from the point I press the windows key until Word has loaded.

So the search box is coming up but NVDA is not reporting on this fact or echoing any of the text typed or search suggestions offered.

Keyboard echo elsewhere works normally.

I am using the Windows 10 Essential add on which may perhaps have something to do with it.

Jaws and Narrator are interacting and reporting mormally the Windows key search box fine here so this is  a problem specific to NVDA.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10