Navigation keys not working #addonrelease

Hi,

My Navigation keys do not work when on a web site with internet explorer, Firefox, and google chrome. The keys do work with the edge browser and thunderbird.

I have a new computer with windows ten home 1703 version and I am using NVDA 2017.2. When I purchased the computer I also got office 2016. The store installed the office program. They had some sort of problem in registering the program and I had to do so myself. I don’t know if they attempted to uninstall the program.

My question is if they did uninstall and reinstall office what can I do to get my navigation keys working again?

I am by no means a computer whiz I would appreciate any feedback

Thank you,

Wayne

John J. Boyer

Hi Wayne,

This sounds like the same problem I have been having for a while and have posted about with no results. It seemed to
happen after office 2016 was installed. The quick navigation keys do not work in Firefox or Chrome, but they are fine in
Edge. Now that someone else hass the problem maybe something will be done about it.

John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...

Hi John,

I sure hope someone can help. It is aggravating not to have the quick navigation keys, surfing a web page seems to take forever. :s
Wayne

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

hi

if it is the same thing i had a few weeks ago the following will happen. NVDA quick navigation keys will not work in any browser i think only edge.

if you tab along the task bar where the running application section is nvda will say unknown. When you go to use the applications key nvda will not speak as you arrow down the menu and a few other weird things.

If it is the same one can you try and catch it with a log but you will need to do the following first.

In nvdas general settings set the log level to debug it is usually set to info. Then tab down to the ok button and save your settings it may do it automatically?

Next start a fresh copy of nvda in other words turn it off then back on.

Go to the sections where you are having the problem nvda will record your steps. Go into your browsers etc then after that has been done save the log it can be found under the tools section then view log. Press the alt key then save it to yyour desk top. it will need to be added to a ticket which i can find and send later.

If this sounds like the problems you are having in the next email i will put into the email the steps that fixed mine from that ticket.

 Gene nz

On 13/08/2017 08:29, Wayne Melling wrote:

Hi,

My Navigation keys do not work when on a web site with internet explorer, Firefox, and google chrome. The keys do work with the edge browser and thunderbird.

I have a new computer with windows ten home 1703 version and I am using NVDA 2017.2. When I purchased the computer I also got office 2016. The store installed the office program. They had some sort of problem in registering the program and I had to do so myself. I don’t know if they attempted to uninstall the program.

My question is if they did uninstall and reinstall office what can I do to get my navigation keys working again?

I am by no means a computer whiz I would appreciate any feedback

Thank you,

Wayne

Gene

Evidently, the arrow keys, page up, page down, etc. still work.  it is important to make this clear so that there is no confusion between this problem and the problem of nothing being read on a web page no matter how you move.  Keys such as arrow keys are navigation keys but now you appear to only be referring to quick navigation keys.

As far as navigating web pages without quick navigation keys is concerned, I started using the Internet a number of years before any were available.  I used the find command to get where I wanted.  Keep the following in mind:
When you are on a web page, you hear the title in the title bar.  The same title is on the web page itself below the navigation links.  Search for a word or phrase that won't be expected to be on the page to any extent.  this is a useful method to find the beginning of an article or in similar situations.  If you are on a page where this method is unlikely to work, such as on a home page, search for something that is far more likely to appear below the navigation links than in them such as the word "the."  If you need to find a search field, search for the word search and look above and below the word for the edit field.  it's usually above.  Searching for other information such as the word listen when looking for a listen link on a radio station site is a good and may be a very good technique.  And this technique should be used whether navigation keys work or not.  For example, on a newspaper site, searching for edito is a much more efficient way to find the editorial link than using quick navigation keys. Most of the time, you don't have to search for more than the for letters of a word such as list for listen.  In the case of the word editorial, edito, five letters, works better because searching for edit may cause the search to stop more often before the word editorial is found.  It may stop on something like letters to the editor or editor's picks or public editor.  But in general, as I said, four letters is enough for efficient use.

Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2017 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Navigation keys not working #addonrelease #addonrelease

Hi John,

I sure hope someone can help. It is aggravating not to have the quick navigation keys, surfing a web page seems to take forever. :s
Wayne

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

hi Gene

it sounds like the same problem with nvda saying unknown or pane, but have asked him a few questions to see if it has come back on another persons machine.

I guess when he comes back he can fill in some spots that he did not mention in the email apart from the quick navigation keys not working.

I am about to post a attachment to the ticket and hopefully it can be caught or fixed.

Gene nz

Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2017 4:29 PM

Hi John,

I sure hope someone can help. It is aggravating not to have the quick navigation keys, surfing a web page seems to take forever. :s
Wayne

Gene

We don't know if it is the same problem yet so I'm not sure adding to the ticket is a good idea without more information.  The messages and context imply that the arrow, tab, etc. keys work and only the quick navigation keys don't work.  We have no grounds to assume at this time that the problem is the same one and it appears likely that the problem only affects the navigation keys.

Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2017 4:29 PM

Hi John,

I sure hope someone can help. It is aggravating not to have the quick navigation keys, surfing a web page seems to take forever. :s
Wayne

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi gene

I have a nvda log here any how if it is the unknown or pne problem that some have had. mine will be posted any how and if it is yes to all the questions asked i am guessing he is having the same problem but will not know until he fills in some more gaps.

The last person or 2 that had it if it is the same one fixed the problem with the commands i put across the list but did not set it to debug in nvda or save the log so was not caught.

Gene nz

Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2017 4:29 PM

Hi John,

I sure hope someone can help. It is aggravating not to have the quick navigation keys, surfing a web page seems to take forever. :s
Wayne

Hi Gene ,

When on a web page the arrow keys, page up, page down, home, and end keys work. I can read the web page using the above-mentioned keys. Just the quick navigation keys do not work, when pressed they just say the letter of the key pressed. The quick navigation keys work with edge and in thunderbird.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Wayne

hi.
did you press nvda+shift+space key by accident when you use your
firefox, chrome or other browsers?
when you are in such browsers, press these combination of keys and
nvda should says single letter navigation keys on if its turned off by
accident.
hope that help and God bless you!

On 8/13/17, Wayne Melling <hoptercoptor@...> wrote:
Hi Gene ,

When on a web page the arrow keys, page up, page down, home, and end keys
work. I can read the web page using the above-mentioned keys. Just the quick
navigation keys do not work, when pressed they just say the letter of the
key pressed. The quick navigation keys work with edge and in thunderbird.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Wayne
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Hi,
I checked out what you suggested and my single navigation keys are on.
Thank you for your input
Wayne

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Out of curiosity did you also try changing from focus mode to browse mode with the nvda key + space bar.

here i have mine set so i can hear which mode i am in on the net it will say browse mode for single letter navigation and focus mode where you can type instead of the sounds.

This caqn be changed under the browse mode settings and uncheck the box that says Audio indication of focus and browse modes

I wonder if nvda did not go into browse mode or maybe it changed to focus mode in a edit box.

I just tried it on a web page with no edit boxes and if i change into focus mode while not in a edit box you will only hear the letters you pressed. Maybe it did not go into the mode correctly? I guess that is why i would rather hear it spoken.

the other thing is the page might not have loaded correctly use the nvda key + F5 key to refresh it.

It does not sound like the unknown or pane problem.

Gene nz

 On 13/08/2017 14:48, Wayne Melling wrote:

Hi Gene ,

When on a web page the arrow keys, page up, page down, home, and end keys work. I can read the web page using the above-mentioned keys. Just the quick navigation keys do not work, when pressed they just say the letter of the key pressed. The quick navigation keys work with edge and in thunderbird.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Wayne

Hi,
Yes I have tried all that you suggested here. It acts the same on all web pages.
Thank you,
Wayne

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Not sure if it sounds like what i was getting I just commented or put up a log for the following issue at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2807#issuecomment-320149243

My problem had the solution from may 19 and it fixed my problem with nvda saying unknow etc etc but now see in the last 9 days some other comments or patches to try.

Yours might not be the same problem? but never know it might be related?

Gene nz

On 13/08/2017 16:03, Wayne Melling wrote:
Hi,
Yes I have tried all that you suggested here. It acts the same on all web pages.
Thank you,
Wayne

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

the problem i had was this one which gave a brief outline and what i had to do to fix it.

the previous email with a link to the ticket had more comments in the last 9 days but my solution was from may 19.

I only just seen the other comments with some solutions but may not be yours?????

Below will be from what come off my web site from the trouble shooting section.

Troubleshooting - NVDA says “unknown” or “pane” in all of your browsers, Mozilla Thunderbird email client and other places
If for some reason you have problems with NVDA saying “unknown” or “pane” check for the following symptoms:

In all of your browsers, or the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, no matter what you do, you still hear “unknown” or “pane”.

In the browser, email client and other menus you notice you cannot get into your menus, or you are unable to use the quick navigation keys

When you have been told the page is loaded and notice strange behaviour

Mozilla Thunderbird saying unknown while you try to navigate it

Your applications key does not work with it being spoken out and other strange behaviour in Windows

The running applications icons are not being spoken out
It might be a good idea to do the following:
Please note: If you are hearing “unknown” or “pane” (as discussed above) NVDA might seem like it is still working properly but it may not be completely in Windows and other programmes.
You could try the following solution which will allow you to re-register your dll files in case they are causing the problem.
Press the Windows key then type the following into the search box. Type in “command prompt”. Once you have located command prompt, in the search results, press the Applications key to bring up the context menu. Arrow down to select “run as administrator” and press the Enter key. This will take you to a command prompt window. This will not be spoken out. You may need sighted assistance for this.
Type in the following command
for %x in (c:\windows\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %x
This should re-register all components in the system32 folder.
When it is finished, you can close the command prompt window with the Alt + F4 key. You should notice now where NVDA was saying “unknown” as in some examples given, NVDA should now read the icons in the running applications area of Windows, speak the content of the webpage and menus, and also in Mozilla Thunderbird and other places in Windows including the Windows applications context menu.

Gene nz

On 13/08/2017 16:03, Wayne Melling wrote:
Hi,
Yes I have tried all that you suggested here. It acts the same on all web pages.
Thank you,
Wayne

John J. Boyer

I tried the nvda+shift+space combination in Firefox and nothing worked, not even the arrow keys and tab key. I had to
tell NVDA not
to save the configuration on exit and then restart it.

John

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 07:24:44AM +0430, nasrin khaksar wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account

I think from reading all the mail on this one its obvious that some corruption of or non registration of some .DLL files has occurred. Sadly on some of these the only effect of their failure is that many accessibility features are crippled.
I expect somebody will be along soon with the ticket for this, and the many possible solutions. I have also seen it on older versions of Windows, so I'm sure its a common issue on many computers, but only we notice it, relying on the access systems that are broken by it.

Last time I saw it I did it with an uninstall of Office 2010, so its been an issue for some time in Office uninstallers.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

You ar lucky as some versions of this problem also make the page never create a virtual buffer and the page acts like its blank, or unknown or like its permenently in focus mode depending on how bad the corruption of dlls is I suppose.