Vivaldi Web Browser: First Impressions

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

With all this talk about Vivaldi web browser, I thought I would give it a try. It has promise. Quick key navigation works; the interface reminds me of Google Chrome; the text is read quite easily as in other accessible browsers such as Firefox and Internet Explorer.

There are a series of issues that make it a bit clumsy. The menus are similar to Google Chrome. There is one menu with sub menus which involve the use of the tree view type navigation system. This isn't a big problem once you get use to it. The main problem I am having is setting the browser up. The settings panel is all buttons. While the screen changes, it is difficult to keep track of the input and just what buttons to press to accept the changes. In other words, there is no OK button and you really don't know if you have successfully made a change until you close the settings panel and try the changes out.

In addition, unless there is a way to remove this and because of my difficulty with the settings panel, there might be, the browser opens with a navigation panel consisting of buttons. I would really like to get rid of this panel and have the page load normally as in other browsers.

If anyone else tries out this browser and can figure out just how to change settings more easily and how to get rid of the start panel that appears at the top of every page, I would appreciate the information and this for me would make the browser a reasonable alternative to the other standard fare.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

But is there any reason to use it?  I looked at the description of the browser on the web site and most of the things discussed seem to be of interest to sighted users and of little or no benefit to blind users.  The one thing I saw in the description is the notes feature and that is available in Chrome so that advantage may be of short duration.

Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2017 5:57 AM
Subject: [nvda] Vivaldi Web Browser: First Impressions

[...]

Hi Gene,

IT is just another option. My point is that if certain things can be reconfigured, it is usable.  If a small company decides to use this browser as its default, it would be usable.

Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2017 5:57 AM

[...]

hi.
since many versions, firefox settings have no okay and cancel button.
do you know how can i return back okay and cancel button in my firefox options?
God bless you all!

On 8/13/2017 7:15 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Gene

There is a way you can make this change but I don't know what it is.  And what does it matter?  the setting is changed when you make it instead of when you activate the ok button.  But what does it matter either way?

Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2017 7:55 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Vivaldi Web Browser: First Impressions

On 8/13/17, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
> Hi Gene,
>

> IT is just another option. My point is that if certain things can be
> reconfigured, it is usable.  If a small company decides to use this
> browser as its default, it would be usable.
>

> On 8/13/2017 7:15 AM, Gene wrote:
>> But is there any reason to use it?  I looked at the description of the
>> browser on the web site and most of the things discussed seem to be of
>> interest to sighted users and of little or no benefit to blind users.
>> The one thing I saw in the description is the notes feature and that
>> is available in Chrome so that advantage may be of short duration.
>> Gene

its very important for me and i could not update my browser for this reason.
there was one option in about:config which is removed in firefox 42
and i could not find a solution for it.
besides, it open one tab when i want to access options and its not
desirable for me.
i wish that return classic options with okay and cancel button,
without openning options in a new tab!

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Just looking at it my self not my usual browser but when you go into the
settings You will hear the name of the buttons. So depending which one
you press the space bar on you would then need to use the letter H to
jump to the start of that section. then it is a matter of arrowing
through that section. I just set my home page in it it is not the start
page one.

make your changes then close the screen and the new settings take affect.

the other buttons up the top i would have to look more into them they
might be able to be hidden? maybe the f11 key might do it?

A bit more of a play might make tthings fall into place of what they do.

Gene nz

On 13/08/2017 22:57, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I wonder, which browser engine is it actually using then?
I don't think its a written from scratch one, it has to be one of the three I know which work, surely?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

pretty much based on the chrome code i guess. I did see some thing say
it or read it.

it is pretty much along the lines of chrome and when you get use to it
and taylor it it is like a web page in the settings as well like chromes.

There are alot of settings you can ajust and also a keyboard section.

Gene nz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene New Zealand"
<hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz>
[...]

I don't think its possible from some version in the 40s somewhere, is it?
What is the problem with the new tree tingly?
It seems to work quite well for me.
[...]

just its difficult for me without okay and cancel button.
for example may i want to change some setting for testing or
accidentally change some setting unwillingly.
i want to have option to confirm my changes with okay button or reject
them if i made a mistake with cancel button!

[...]

If you make a mistake, just change the setting back.  If you discover you have made a mistake while the interface is still opened, just change the setting back.  Any setting you change can be changed back by just changing it.  You don't have to close and reopen the dialog to do so.

Sent: Monday, August 14, 2017 7:07 AM