Slightly OT - Rearranging/reorganising icons on windows 10 desktop, using NVDA, etc.

Jacob Kruger

I reloaded my windows 10 creators machine from scratch this past weekend myself - thanks to Microsoft for now allowing you to launch narrator right after installation disk boots up - but, now on my new version of the desktop, for example, my user folder is not situated at the top left corner of the desktop, and, while this is not the end of the world, I am just somewhat used to hitting home key to focus on it, and, was wondering if anybody had tricks related to rearranging icons on the desktop?

As in, I know can play around with turning on/off grid view, auto-arrange, etc. via context menu on desktop area, and, can turn on/off some system icons via desktop display settings, but, when it comes down to trying to reorder icons in a certain order, unless I tried renaming all of them one at a time, and hoping auto-arrange would cooperate, am not sure what the simplest way to handle this is, and, if it's really possible without sighted help anyway?

Suppose could otherwise also try out drag-and-drop, working with golden cursor add-on, but, thought may as well first ask.

And, yes, this is not of major importance, but, was just wondering...<smile>

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile"

Jacques Stassen <lists4js@...>

Hi Jacob, the following works for me:

On desktop, de-select all icons with control+space. Press application key, go to "sort by" and choose "name." This puts my user folder at the top. If it doesn't work the first time, repeat the process, which should reverse the process.

On 15/08/2017 10:25, Jacob Kruger wrote:
[...]

Perfect - worked first time - thanks.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2017/08/15 11:31, Jacques Stassen wrote:
[...]

Arlene

Thanks. good to know when I get my new computer.

[...]

chris miles

On 15/08/2017 09:25, Jacob Kruger wrote:
[...]

Hi,

To see the user files on your desktop:-

1. Press Windows key and I (settings)

2. Tab with left tab once - gives 9 options (I think)

3. Choose Personalisation

4.Choose Themes

5. Tab to Desktop Icons and press enter

6. You are now presented with a list of desktop icons - to add these to your desktop simply CHECK the icon you would like to have on the desktop

7 Press OK.

You will now see Jacob at the top of your desktop - when you open this it will show all your user files.

Cheers;