query

anthony borg

Hi list

Can somebody explain to me why when I exit n v d a and upload it again it doesn’t keep the voice settings plese?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Beasley
Sent: 15 August 2017 21:23
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: query

Personally, I think the sleep mode works better

because if you move to another window wile Kurzweil 1000 is still running, nvda comes back without haveng to turn speach mode on.

Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 8:10 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] silencing nvda while using kurzweil 1000

Yes, that worked, the speech mode toggle. Thanks.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerardo Corripio
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:44 PM

Some years ago, I asked this same question, and I was given some lines of text to write, but for the life of me, can't remember where or how, but since then, when using kurzweil1000 with NVDA, NVDA doesn't talk. I think i saved the file with a certain name, but for the life of me, can't remember how this was done.

El 15/08/2017 a las 01:23 p.m., Arlene escribió:

Oh! I’ll have to give that a try!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Beasley
Sent: August-15-17 11:19 AM

Put nvda to sleep by holding down the insert and control keys and press the letter S.

Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:00 PM

Subject: [nvda] silencing nvda while using kurzweil 1000

Hi, is there a way to silence nvda while using an independent speech program like Kurzweil 1000? That way I don’t have two eloquence synths going at once? Which is kind of psychedelic sounding but not very productive.

Thanks, Dave

-- 
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

Gene

Please start a new thread when starting a new topic.  Don't just reply to a message, change the subject line, and leave all the extraneous completely unrelated material below the message.  The reason I say to start a new message rather than just change the subject line is because if you do that, for technical reasons I don't know, in the archives the message is still placed in the old thread.  I don't know what happens if people read mail on their machines by conversation. 

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] query

Hi list

Can somebody explain to me why when I exit n v d a and upload it again it doesn’t keep the voice settings plese?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

because if you move to another window wile Kurzweil 1000 is still running, nvda comes back without haveng to turn speach mode on.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerardo Corripio

Some years ago, I asked this same question, and I was given some lines of text to write, but for the life of me, can't remember where or how, but since then, when using kurzweil1000 with NVDA, NVDA doesn't talk. I think i saved the file with a certain name, but for the life of me, can't remember how this was done.

Put nvda to sleep by holding down the insert and control keys and press the letter S.

Hi, is there a way to silence nvda while using an independent speech program like Kurzweil 1000? That way I don’t have two eloquence synths going at once? Which is kind of psychedelic sounding but not very productive.

Thanks, Dave

-- 
Gera

Andre Fisher

Go to the general settings and check if save configuration on exit is unchecked. If you want, check it. Otherwise, you can press Control+NVDA+C to save the changes.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:36 PM

Hi list

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Thanks, Dave

-- 
Gera

Gene

I would recommend having it unchecked  The reason is that if you have this option checked, you may make a temporary change to deal with a specific situation you don't want to be a general setting and accidentally make it permanent.  Also, you can experiment and not accidentally make an experimental setting permanent.  I think it’s a much better idea to manually save changes if you want them saved. 

There are times I change something for a specific purpose such as to speed up or slow down speech when reading certain material, change punctuation temporarily, temporarily change verbosity about what is spoken when I'm on a web page, and perhaps other things I haven't thought of now.  In none of these cases, do  I intend for the changes to be permanent.  I always have NVDA set not to save on exit.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:53 PM

Go to the general settings and check if save configuration on exit is unchecked. If you want, check it. Otherwise, you can press Control+NVDA+C to save the changes.

Hi list

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Thanks, Dave

-- 
Gera

anthony borg

Hi gene

First of all thank you for your prompt reply and your help.

Somebody else has tried to install on my laptop another speech synthesizer, but unfortunately I don’t know what touched from the settings.

I’m suspecting that he might changed something from the configuration settings.

Would that be possible to effect the voice settings?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 16 August 2017 01:07

I would recommend having it unchecked  The reason is that if you have this option checked, you may make a temporary change to deal with a specific situation you don't want to be a general setting and accidentally make it permanent.  Also, you can experiment and not accidentally make an experimental setting permanent.  I think it’s a much better idea to manually save changes if you want them saved. 

There are times I change something for a specific purpose such as to speed up or slow down speech when reading certain material, change punctuation temporarily, temporarily change verbosity about what is spoken when I'm on a web page, and perhaps other things I haven't thought of now.  In none of these cases, do  I intend for the changes to be permanent.  I always have NVDA set not to save on exit.

Gene

Hi list

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Thanks, Dave

-- 
Gera

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I tend to use portable versions for tweaking about with stuff. However in the case on this query he might like to try the synth ring commands as in the manual.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 12:06 AM

I would recommend having it unchecked The reason is that if you have this option checked, you may make a temporary change to deal with a specific situation you don't want to be a general setting and accidentally make it permanent. Also, you can experiment and not accidentally make an experimental setting permanent. I think it’s a much better idea to manually save changes if you want them saved.

There are times I change something for a specific purpose such as to speed up or slow down speech when reading certain material, change punctuation temporarily, temporarily change verbosity about what is spoken when I'm on a web page, and perhaps other things I haven't thought of now. In none of these cases, do I intend for the changes to be permanent. I always have NVDA set not to save on exit.

Gene

Hi list

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Thanks, Dave

-- GeraEnviado desde Thunderbird

Gene

I don't know what the person did and also, we don't know what synthesizer you are using now.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 2:27 AM

Hi gene

First of all thank you for your prompt reply and your help.

Somebody else has tried to install on my laptop another speech synthesizer, but unfortunately I don’t know what touched from the settings.

I’m suspecting that he might changed something from the configuration settings.

Would that be possible to effect the voice settings?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 16 August 2017 01:07

Gene

Hi list

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Thanks, Dave

-- 
Gera

anthony borg

Hi list by mistake I hit the factry settings and unfortunately I lost the settings.
Infact when I press n v d a key and a letter nothing happen.
Can somebody explain to me how to resetting them again please?
Thanks in advance
Anthony

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: 16 August 2017 19:45

Yes sometimes I find that when moving between screens in a self voicing app, you can get a bit of the other app and then nvda can mutter stuff, but mostly it works.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 3:48 PM

Also, you can make a user configuration profile for any program and set
speech to off and it will only be off while the program is in focus. I've
done this for a self voicing version of mIRC and it works just fine so it
should be easy to do this with K-1000.

Roger

On 8/16/2017 1:40 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Interestingly, on github there has been an open issue on this, and as
nobody has responded, I believe it has been closed. It was proposed some
years ago to make nvda shut up on this self voicing ap. However
developments since in the form of simple to install app modules and the
ability to turn of the voice with a hot key have somewhat made this a
little redundant. In the past the problem with shutting it up globally
has been that dialogues that did not have self voicing needed to have it
enabled again of course. Hopefully these now speak properly. I have a
program here called Newsbridge that is self voicing and I use an app
module custom made for it, and hand installed, but there are many ways to
do it now.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Bahr " <dcbahr1@gmail.com>

Hi, is there a way to silence nvda while using an independent speech
program
like Kurzweil 1000? That way I don't have two eloquence synths going at
once? Which is kind of psychedelic sounding but not very productive.

Thanks, Dave