NVDA key gives geeky context menu!

Roger Stewart

Just discovered something interesting about nvda with Win 10. If you tap the nvda key twice quickly, a sort of context menu pops up that is about the same as This PC. It offers you the choice to open any drive on your system as well as many folder locations! Don't know what is built into the nvda program that makes this work, but just thought everyone should know about it.

Roger

Sarah k Alawami

Interesting, in my case I get my caps lock turned on and off. I'm a windows insider, so I dunno if that makes a difference.

Take care all

On Aug 16, 2017, at 1:43 PM, Roger Stewart <paganus2@gmail.com> wrote:

Just discovered something interesting about nvda with Win 10. If you tap the nvda key twice quickly, a sort of context menu pops up that is about the same as This PC. It offers you the choice to open any drive on your system as well as many folder locations! Don't know what is built into the nvda program that makes this work, but just thought everyone should know about it.

Roger

Gene

Evidently, the person who asked the original question is using insert or Numpad insert.  NVDA is designed to allow NVDA keys, when pressed quickly, to perform their normal function.  So pressing caps lock twice quickly will turn it on and off.  Pressing insert quickly in versions of Windows earlier than Windows 10 turns type over on and off.  In Windows 10, pressing insert two times may open a menu.  With another screen reader that doesn't use insert for anything, pressing it perhaps, once or twice or three times may bring up the menu in Windows 10.  I said once or perhaps twice or three times because I'm not sure how the NVDA feature affects how the key functions.

Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA key gives geeky context menu!

Interesting, in my case I get my caps lock turned on and off. I'm a windows insider, so I dunno if that makes a difference.

Take care all
> On Aug 16, 2017, at 1:43 PM, Roger Stewart <paganus2@...> wrote:
>
> Just discovered something interesting about nvda with Win 10.  If you tap the nvda key twice quickly, a sort of context menu pops up that is about the same as This PC.  It offers you the choice to open any drive on your system as well as many folder locations! Don't know what is built into the nvda program that makes this work, but just thought everyone should know about it.
>

> Roger

Roger Stewart

I should have specified that this is with the numpad insert key used as the nvda key. I also have caps lock set but pressing it twice does turn caps lock on and off as it should.

Roger

.